News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

TP2000

I have been mulling over a concept in my mind about Pixar Pier and how it relates to the larger Walt Disney Parks & Resorts direction under Bob Chapek. I have a feeling that later in August, after the visiting family is gone and it's fully done formulating in my mind, it will turn into a small manifesto that could be titled My Late Summer Rant - Or Why Pixar Pier Is A Huge Problem. That's a working title only.

But until then, this recent photo sums it all up and speaks for itself.

BBSS5-072218-Pickering.jpg

Last edited:

SSG

OK, I'm back from 5 days in the park and as I suspected, Pixar Pier left me pretty indifferent. It's nothing great (or even very good) but it isn't the death knell of western civilization either. The coaster is still a fun ride, now with plastic Incredibles dotted around it. Whatevs. Midway Mania is still the same. I actually thought the boardwalk games were improved with the Pixar treatment, and turning Ariel's into one big bar is a definite upgrade. The shops and food options were nothing to brag about (Lamplight Lounge aside, which I thought was good), but the Pier did have a cleaner, more spruced up look. Amazing what fresh paint can do.

My Verdict: Meh. Disney took a not great area of the park....and turned it into a different not great area of the park. A missed opportunity to do something special.

Last edited:

Phroobar

It's sad even the Red Sea went away last year. It was silly when they made it "see a miniature king kong island" experience though.
That whole area is now combined production offices/sound stages buildings. I'm guessing that the theme park will be taking over more of the backlot and the tour and historic sets will eventually disappear.

mickEblu

OK, I'm back from 5 days in the park and as I suspected, Pixar Pier left me pretty indifferent. It's nothing great (or even very good) but it isn't the death knell of western civilization either. The coaster is still a fun ride, now with plastic Incredibles dotted around it. Whatevs. Midway Mania is still the same. I actually thought the boardwalk games were improved with the Pixar treatment, and turning Ariel's into one big bar is a definite upgrade. The shops and food options were nothing to brag about (Lamplight Lounge aside, which I thought was good), but the Pier did have a cleaner, more spruced up look. Amazing what fresh paint can do.

My Verdict: Meh. Disney took a not great area of the park....and turned it into a different not great area of the park. A missed opportunity to do something special.

Agree. My original prediction for the land is basically your verdict more or less. I think for most of us the the issue isnt what it replaced. It’s the direction of the park (rushed overlays that miss the mark) in general and the fact they spent so much money for Meh results. 150 mil? Not one dark ride? A couple C-D ticket dark rides would have went a long way.

Franklin47disneyguy

Now that paradise pier is no more, what should they do with the paradise pier hotel? Its a huge eyesore and way to expensive for what experience it delivers. I think that when hotel 4 is finished, they better be tearing it down and replace it with a better hotel. Since we have a new garage coming online very soon they could expand the hotel ground with parts of the nearby parking lot. Heck they could even build two hotels in that area and finally get the hotel district planed for the westcot project. Just my thoughts...

mickEblu

Now that paradise pier is no more, what should they do with the paradise pier hotel? Its a huge eyesore and way to expensive for what experience it delivers. I think that when hotel 4 is finished, they better be tearing it down and replace it with a better hotel. Since we have a new garage coming online very soon they could expand the hotel ground with parts of the nearby parking lot. Heck they could even build two hotels in that area and finally get the hotel district planed for the westcot project. Just my thoughts...

If they used the Simba lot for SWL they could have turned Paradise Pier into a Star Wars Hotel. Not my preference but I feel like it would have worked nicely there. DCA is such a mish mash of themes anyway. If I called the shots that’s where I would have put SWL. Then I would have put 2-3 Marvel attractions in TL and called a day. Ant man in Buzz. GOTG in Star Tours. And an Avengers coaster in the Innoventions building/ some Autopia real estate. They can’t even call it Marvel Land anyway.

ThemeParkTraveller

I agree that the Paradise Pier Hotel should be torn down, and I'm also not keen on keeping the Disneyland Hotel around either. These retrofitted high rises absolutely do not convey a deluxe Disney hotel experience for me. DLR could really use another themed, immersive hotel like the Grand Californian. I was pretty disappointed when I saw the designs for the new hotel, which looks similarly bland and generic compared to the average deluxe Disney hotel in WDW.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
With DLR being so landlocked I can’t understand why the haven’t zoned the Simba lot for DCA expansion. It would be really cool having some sort of themed bridge take you to a new land with lots of trees so you can’t see Disney Way below.

Simba is where they are planning on building a hotel parking structure (behing PPH) as well as the new DTD parking.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
P

Yeah but they could have figured it out.

Actually given what we know now I don't think they could have. Anaheim/Tait was already throwing a fit in 2016 with a lot of what Disney was doing. So I don't think they could have converted the land permit from parking to be mixed use. And they really can't do it now. So they are stuck with using it for a parking structure for now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom