News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

flynnibus

Premium Member
I didn't watch any of the hype around PP... so the coaster video is actually a lot more than I expected them to do. But that queue view is god awful.

mickEblu

I didn't watch any of the hype around PP... so the coaster video is actually a lot more than I expected them to do. But that queue view is god awful.

There was no hype. We just didn’t expect it to be quite this bad and hoped that Incredicoaster would be the sleeper hit instead of a sleeper.

flynnibus

Premium Member
There was no hype. We just didn’t expect it to be quite this bad and hoped that Incredicoaster would be the sleeper hit instead of a sleeper.

Well you had expectations of something... because it's certainly not any 'worse' than it was before unless you really loved the music they had. They added lots of elements that simply weren't there before. I expected a paintjob, new signs, and new soundtrack and calling it a day. Because that's pretty much what the rest of the place is...

mickEblu

Well you had expectations of something... because it's certainly not any 'worse' than it was before unless you really loved the music they had. They added lots of elements that simply weren't there before. I expected a paintjob, new signs, and new soundtrack and calling it a day. Because that's pretty much what the rest of the place is...

It’s definitely worse. I like that though, that should be their motto .....

Disney California Adventure: Don’t expect anything.

D

Deleted member 107043

They re turning theme parks into brand parks.

Yup. I've been arguing this for at least 5 years now. P&R's primary job is to generate revenue by leveraging Disney brands. That's all.

And they also seem to have lost their way and don’t understand their brand anymore when it comes to the parks.

It's the fans who don't understand the parks' brand. Disney understands it perfectly, and their quarterly revenues prove it.

Last edited by a moderator:

mickEblu

Yup. I've been arguing this for at least 5 years now. P&R primary job is to generate revenue by leveraging Disney brands. That's all.

It's the fans who don't understand the parks' brand. Disney understand's it perfectly, and their quarterly revenues prove it.

I “liked” the first half of your post. What do you mean by “understand?” Understand they can get away with it and rest on the laurels of their past? Yeah they can do that for a while. It ll catch up with them though. When lines for Incredicoaster are back down to Screamin waits in a month all those crowds will be back in line for POTC, HM and Space Mountain... you know, original attractions they actually put some effort into.

Rich T

You say this as they are literally building the largest, most detail heavy expansion to a DLR park in history — and just 5 years after they did the same at DCA.

I agree that Pixar Pier isn’t great and am not a huge fan of IP-mania, but also think it’s super unrealistic to expect every single park project to exist on the same level.
(Butting in here) Yes, but this is garbage. This isn't a small little improvement or a nice new addition. They made the Pier worse. This is a statement that DLR management is okay with this being the new Disney, and that this is the level of care they think the Pixar library deserves.

SWGE will certainly be better, but DLR has changed drastically in the last several years, and certainly not all for the good. As much as I will always love what Disneyland used to represent to me, the money-sucking side of the company is becoming intrusive and obnoxious to the point where the "magic" is rapidly being drowned out by the crassness, the crowds, and the continuing decisions to put "more profit" ahead of "great experience."

When it reaches the point where a trip to DLR mostly means staring at my phone to make reservations for my only chance to ride an attraction that's "Movie-promo first, good ride 2nd," then that's the end of my trips to the parks. I've got good memories of what it used to be like, and there are a ton of other places where I can spend my vacations. And I used to be one of the biggest Disney nuts on the planet. Now I'm just nuts.

Last edited:

SSG

From D23

• 1180w-600h_062218_inside-out-attraction-780x440.jpg
  • Breaking News: Inside Out Attraction Debuting at Pixar Pier in 2019
    JUNE 22, 2018
    By Courtney Potter
    The incredible new Pixar Pier officially opens to guests this Saturday, June 23, at Disney California Adventure park—and when it does, guests will go “to infinity and beyond” as they discover its four unique neighborhoods: Incredibles Park (which features the reimagined Incredicoaster); Toy Story Boardwalk (home to fan-fave Toy Story Midway Mania!); Pixar Promenade (full of charming games and the Pixar Pal-A-Roundwheel); and Inside Out Headquarters… which happens to be the scene for today’s big announcement from our pals at Disneyland Resort!
    780w-463h_062218_inside-out-attraction-1.jpg

Located on the western end of Pixar Pier, the colorful Inside Out Headquarters is the future home of Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind; this whimsical family-friendly attraction—inspired by the Disney•Pixar animated hit Inside Out—is set make its big debut in 2019, and it’ll be (as you might imagine) chockablock with emotions! Take a gander at a nifty sneak peek of the attraction, above.
    That’s not the only fun to come at Pixar Pier in 2019: Jessie’s Critter Carousel, a reimagined classic boardwalk-style attraction featuring all manner of adorable wilderness critters (inspired by the Woody’s Roundup TV show in Toy Story 2), will offer guests a rootin’, tootin’ good time beginning next year.
    There’s so much to see, do, and enjoy at Pixar Pier—including truly delicious food and drink at the new Lamplight Lounge!—so start planning those Disneyland Resort vacations now… and keep your eyes peeled for more candy-colored info as it becomes available.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

From D23

JUNE 22, 2018
    By Courtney Potter
    The incredible new Pixar Pier officially opens to guests this Saturday, June 23, at Disney California Adventure park—and when it does, guests will go “to infinity and beyond” as they discover its four unique neighborhoods: Incredibles Park (which features the reimagined Incredicoaster); Toy Story Boardwalk (home to fan-fave Toy Story Midway Mania!); Pixar Promenade (full of charming games and the Pixar Pal-A-Roundwheel); and Inside Out Headquarters… which happens to be the scene for today’s big announcement from our pals at Disneyland Resort!

Located on the western end of Pixar Pier, the colorful Inside Out Headquarters is the future home of Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind; this whimsical family-friendly attraction—inspired by the Disney•Pixar animated hit Inside Out—is set make its big debut in 2019, and it’ll be (as you might imagine) chockablock with emotions! Take a gander at a nifty sneak peek of the attraction, above.
    That’s not the only fun to come at Pixar Pier in 2019: Jessie’s Critter Carousel, a reimagined classic boardwalk-style attraction featuring all manner of adorable wilderness critters (inspired by the Woody’s Roundup TV show in Toy Story 2), will offer guests a rootin’, tootin’ good time beginning next year.
    There’s so much to see, do, and enjoy at Pixar Pier—including truly delicious food and drink at the new Lamplight Lounge!—so start planning those Disneyland Resort vacations now… and keep your eyes peeled for more candy-colored info as it becomes available.
Article gets 5 bonus points for using the term "chockablock".

D

Deleted member 107043

What do you mean by “understand?”

Look literally the only thing big American businesses like Disney understand is increasing their bottom lines, and to that end they will push and push their brand boundaries as far as possible. Disney is doing that right now with its parks, and traditionalist fans have been struggling to embrace the "new normal". Unfortunately for them the strategy has been paying off big for Disney.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
From D23

JUNE 22, 2018
    By Courtney Potter

I do enjoy the name Emotional Whirlwind

Rich T

I 110% guarantee you most guests will disagree with your sentiment. It could have been a zillion times better, no doubt, but the majority of visitors to DCA will see it as an improvement.
I personally think most guests won't notice or care. But I also think that they won't fall in love with the place the way people have been falling in love with DLR for the last several decades. I'm sure Disney will continue to rake in piles of cash until they finally really do kill the golden goose and find themselves with a charmless, cynical product that no longer builds a dedicated fan base. Years and years from now-- certainly not anything the current crop of suits need concern themselves with.

But whatever the majority of visitors think, it's not for me anymore. I am the Lorax, I speak for the pleasant, fantastic, relaxing, imagination-charging, insanely well-done and reasonably-priced escape DLR used to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom