News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

No Name

Quality of the parks and profits have always displayed a rather strong correlation, while IPs and profits have not. DCA failed largely because it was crap, not because it didn't have studio IPs. On the other hand, Tokyo DisneySea and Epcot didn't open with much/any studio IP presence and had two of the most successful openings in theme park history because they were solid parks. Not that anyone should need further evidence, but Six Flags has plenty of IPs and isn't doing Disney-level business because the quality is not there.

The name Disney and its reputation for great storytelling is the company's strongest IP by a long shot, and that's what they're damaging with stuff like Pixar Pier.

tirian

I disagree: It was better as a great, pure, unthemed coaster with very high re-ride-ability. Screamin' was a beautiful, well-paced, unique coaster ride. Now it's junked up with obnoxious, poorly-done, half-baked story elements that aren't very entertaining and must be endured *every* *single* *time* you ride. It's not like Big Thunder, where the sets and effects are all about time, place and atmosphere. This is like being forced through an indoor/outdoor Superstar Limo each time.
Quoted for truth.

These aren’t atmospheric effects; they’re speakers blasting dialogue at your head every single time you ride. It’s similar to the thousands of variations on “Where’s Nemo?” in the subs and at Epcot.

TROR

I bet we get one within 5 years. To much money to be made. I just hope that without Lasseter, Pixar can start moving beyond the secret villain trope they love using in their films.
You have no idea how much I hate this. It's not even just Pixar, it's Disney Animation too. Pretty much everything after Winnie the Pooh has used this. Wreck It Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zootopia. I guess Moana did a reverse. But Pixar's done it with Up, Toy Story 3, Cars 2, Coco, and Incredibles 2. So sick of it. I miss having straight up villains in Disney movies and I don't feel like we've had one since Mother Gothel.

SuddenStorm

You have no idea how much I hate this. It's not even just Pixar, it's Disney Animation too. Pretty much everything after Winnie the Pooh has used this. Wreck It Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Zootopia. I guess Moana did a reverse. But Pixar's done it with Up, Toy Story 3, Cars 2, Coco, and Incredibles 2. So sick of it. I miss having straight up villains in Disney movies and I don't feel like we've had one since Mother Gothel.

Don't forget Monsters Inc and Toy Story 2!

tirian

Quality of the parks and profits have always displayed a rather strong correlation, while IPs and profits have not. DCA failed largely because it was crap, not because it didn't have studio IPs. On the other hand, Tokyo DisneySea and Epcot didn't open with much/any studio IP presence and had two of the most successful openings in theme park history because they were solid parks. Not that anyone should need further evidence, but Six Flags has plenty of IPs and isn't doing Disney-level business because the quality is not there.

The name Disney and its reputation for great storytelling is the company's strongest IP by a long shot, and that's what they're damaging with stuff like Pixar Pier.

Fanboy bloggers don’t understand that.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Its art imitating life. In life its not so cut and dry who the villains are, they are usually hidden in plain sight.

tirian

I don’t watch the old classics too often because there are always new movies to see, but each time I watch any of the classics — even the package films and the less acclaimed ones like “Robin Hood” and the “Sword in the Stone” — I’m amazed at how much more entertaining and better written they are than almost any modern animated film, including most of Pixar’s output post “Up.”

SuddenStorm

I don’t watch the old classics too often because there are always new movies to see, but each time I watch any of the classics — even the package films and the less acclaimed ones like “Robin Hood” and the “Sword in the Stone” — I’m amazed at how much more entertaining and better written they are than almost any modern animated film, including most of Pixar’s output post “Up.”

I imagine that a huge portion of that was the higher cost and skill set required of traditional animation.

Comparitively, computer animation is cheap. And much faster. With more output, overall quality usually declines.

TwilightZone

The best part about the incredicoaster is the tunnel at the beginning, if disney decides to remove the incredibles from the ride in the future (which I do be they will, something like the incredibles 2 is fickle), I would like them to keep that effect.

fctiger

This is true, especially about TDS but even all that has changed now. I was at that park the week it opened and its still my favorite park to this day but TDS has gone from a park that is based more in classical mythological stories to now a heavy IP park like all the rest. When the park opened it had only two IPs, Indiana Jones ride and Mermaid Lagoon. There wasn't a single Pixar item anywhere. Fast forward to today and now there is Nemo, Crush and TSM. And of course it just revealed they are building three new lands all toon based with Peter Pan, Tangled and Frozen. That park, like DCA, has changed dramatically. My guess is while the park was definitely solid with big attendance they probably got back survey after survey asking where are more Disney characters and their kids wants to see so and so. And of course its not exactly a secret the Japanese are more character crazy then they are in America. And I also think the more characters you slap on a T-shirt the sales just rise a lot more.

I certainly get people hate all the IPs happening but the reality is its done for a reason: it works. Not only that overwhelming majority of people who go to Disney parks brings families, ie, kids and for them a pier that has their favorite Pixar characters is a no-brainer to take them. Now I get people are disappointed with the results and I can't blame anyone but with only a four month turnover everyone knew it wasn't going to be anything amazing. Its what it is: a cheap but effective way to build a brand around one of the few areas without one.

I don't see Disney ever attempting to build an IP-less park again like they tried with Epcot, TDS and DCA. Shanghai for example still has a few original rides believe it or not but its heavily movie and tune based. But of course done well, which is all I personally care about. IPs don't bother me but yes if you're going to do it then at least do it right.

Rich T

The other trope Disney and Pixar need to give a rest is the scene where the villain (initially thought to be a good guy/gal) unwittingly confesses his/her scheme into a) a hidden tape recorder or b) a microphone/tv camera broadcasting to everyone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom