News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

disneygeek90

I can't ever get excited about new Disney hotels because I know I'll never be able to afford them without selling my children on the black market.
I can't get excited for WDW hotels because I know it would be ridiculous to spend hundreds a night when I can sleep in my own apartment 15 mins away.

I'm a big Pixar fan and I found the name change to be... rather odd.

D

Deleted member 107043

True....but.... DL/DCA/DD/ has been getting continual upgrades, reworks and additions for over a decade to the parks attractions.

No disputing that. The parks are looking great for sure.

That said if Disney Parks' operations has the multitask skills to manage 6 massive theme resorts around the globe surely it can add a new hotel in Anaheim while it updates a handful of rides there. Like I said there's probably a good reason why a hotel hasn't been added up until now, I'm just disappointed that no news was given about the future of DLR beyond the Parks this weekend.

rle4lunch

No disputing that. The parks are looking great for sure. That said if Disney Parks' Operation has the multitask skills to manage 6 massive theme resorts around the globe surely it can add a new hotel in Anaheim while it updates a handful of rides there.

True. Disney's reliance on the hobo motels of Anaheim is striking. Although, I'm sure there are agreements in place with the city for them to 'support local businesses' and in return get tax breaks and/or perks (like being able to use massive amounts of water/electricity when the rest of the county is on lock-down).

Maybe a cost tier system like WDW would work if they expanded 2 more on property hotels? DL has 3 deluxe resorts (when in reality, only 1 really classifies under that title). the other 2 should be value and moderate.

Last edited:

planodisney

The amount of money Disney pours into WDW is absolutely jaw dropping. I'm not sure west coasters really understand what a tiny tiny drop in the bucket DLR is, in terms of both investment and revenue. Even during the DCA makeover, more was being spent in Orlando with New FL, Disney Springs, new hotel, DVC expansion.....

This D23 parks and resorts section was absolutely jaw dropping.
However, I think it would have felt VERY different if we would have seen presentations of 2 incredible new attractions for Marvel World, artwork for
the new hotel with dates and a teaser of what I am sure is a planned new attraction at some point in the not too distant future Pixar Pier.

The one thing that makes absolutely NO SENSE whatsoever is the DLR hotel situation. Anaheim hotel occupancy rates are fantastic, but DLR hotel occupancy rates are off the charts good and much stronger than WDW.
3 hotels should be on the drawing board yet getting even 1 off the ground
is so difficult in Anaheim.

One final thought on the difference between Anaheim and Orlando, and Disneys investments into both resorts is
that I've noticed there are certain experiences that get funded in Orlando that Anaheim just will never have.
The new restaurant in EPCOT is a prime example. Mature, adventurous, educational and not tied into any live action or animated movie. That's the one sad part about the failure of DCA 1.0. That was Anaheims one chance to
have EOCOT/Animal Kingdom levels of mature entertainment.

MKeeler

I keep coming back to this announcement as the most puzzling and as potentially the most intriguing. I think we definitely see the IP focused lands plan for DCA going forward with Pixar in the Pier/Carsland, Marvel in the expansion plot behind Tower and Bug's Land, and potentially the Fab Five/classic Disney in the Backlot/Buena Vista Street. And I can see strength in that approach. It all comes down to execution on the Pier.

The known issue list on the pier includes aesthetic redressing of: 1) California Screamin' queue and load area, 2) King Triton's carousel, 3) the Fun Wheel queue, load area and surrounding area, 4) the exterior of the remaining shops on the boardwalk, and 5) the Maliboomer plot. From the concept art we have been shown, we can see that #4 (the shops) should be addressed, and likely #3 (the Fun Wheel) will be getting some attention. It's a shame that we likely will not get the full wrap around boardwalk around the Fun Wheel, as it would appear that is not possible with some of the World of Color equipment, but hopefully, the rest can be redressed to a Pixar "Mictorian" aesthetic. Hopefully, #1 (the Screamin' queue) and #2 (the Carousel) will be similarly addressed. And I think this is feasible in the year time frame that has been mentioned.

Ideally, though, this would not be the extent of the changes, to really sell this re-theme. It should include redressing of the Swings, Jumpin' Jellyfish, Goofy's Sky School, and the Golden Zephyr. Two of those could be really simple (the Zephyr and Jumpin' Jellyfish) depending on the particular characters used. I could even envision Goofy's Sky School going from a wild mouse coaster to a wild Rat(atouille) coaster, but could not imagine that including any of these four attractions in the re-theme could be accomplished in year.

If not, could we at least see a couple of the flat rides in Bug's Land moved to the Screamin' helixes? Bumper Cars would be a perfect pier attraction, so maybe Drive 'Em Buggies in the eastern helix near the carousel, with a similarly appropriate cover structure? I would say Flik's Flyers for the other, but there are already two hanging spinning rides and both the swings and the zephyr are more appropriate for the pier. Maybe Lady Bug Boogie (or some other teacup-esque ride using that mechanism) in the Maliboomer plot?

My head keeps spinning of the potential of what they could do and the fear of what they could leave undone. I have to imagine more will be revealed soon given the quick time frame.

SMLR

Lol thought this was funny (from the recent Micechat Disneyland update):

"The most interesting news coming out of the Parks Panel for Anaheim was the one Lasseter just drooled over - the remaking of Paradise Pier into Pixar Pier. My favorite part of the whole discussion was turning around during the panel and reading Chapek’s lines on the teleprompter in the back of the room. And when this topic came up for Lasseter’s lines, the teleprompter just read: “No specifics. Be vague. Mention Ride” and Lasseter did his best impromptu discussion of the whole panel and only grumbled (into Chapek’s microphone) about the coming ride."

nevol

The one thing that makes absolutely NO SENSE whatsoever is the DLR hotel situation. Anaheim hotel occupancy rates are fantastic, but DLR hotel occupancy rates are off the charts good and much stronger than WDW.
3 hotels should be on the drawing board yet getting even 1 off the ground
is so difficult in Anaheim.

One final thought on the difference between Anaheim and Orlando, and Disneys investments into both resorts is
that I've noticed there are certain experiences that get funded in Orlando that Anaheim just will never have.
The new restaurant in EPCOT is a prime example. Mature, adventurous, educational and not tied into any live action or animated movie. That's the one sad part about the failure of DCA 1.0. That was Anaheims one chance to
have EOCOT/Animal Kingdom levels of mature entertainment.

Yup. I'm trying to remind myself that spending is strong despite a lack of announcements and attendance is at an all time high as wdw is seemingly struggling. They are in the DCA emergency phase now, and ironically getting the DCA IP treatment. Disneyland resort is only IP and since DCA doesn't have a thesis attraction like Horizons or Spaceship Earth that makes the California theme make sense, WDW will always have that broader variety even as they destroy their own parks. But it is because they are only now stabilizing the resort that we haven't seen new hotels yet. Think about it; its been 5 years since they finished the DCA redevelopment. that was 1.2 billion dollars and it happened because the first billion didn't work so they lost an entire decade of profits. Now disneyland is doing so well, day tickets cost more than wdw. But we know and they know they need a new hotel.

I stayed at disneyland hotel once during the 60th; I think my room was 420$ and I got there from los angeles at 10 or 11 pm and left for the parks at 7 am. I was spending money at trader sams until 12:30 probably so you do the math on what my room cost an hour. Then I get this letter a month or two later about great room rates at the disneyland hotel! Rates had jumped from 420 or 480 whatever they were into the 5s. It is completely not worth it, especially if you're going to be in the parks the entire time. There is no such thing as a leisurely disneyland vacation like there is in wdw; the parks have too much to do and there is too little to do outside of them so you never are spending a half-day by the pool and a light evening in the parks unless you're an AP.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Many pages later... @Curious Constance , here is the reason JL stepped down from TS4.

“I always felt like I need to keep directing, and that’s why I decided to do Toy Story 4 initially, but I oversee three studios and I think I counted 24 feature films I’m overseeing, and it was not really practical, to be blunt.

But also what made it easy was Josh Cooley was amazing; wait until you see it – he is so good. And it was time to let go of the bike and let him ride, and he’s doing a great job. It’s really fantastic.

And I do get creative satisfaction from being the executive producer, the chief creative officer, and helping all of these great filmmakers. So that’s what made the decision for me, and I’m loving what I do. I have the best job in the world."

Phroobar

Lol thought this was funny (from the recent Micechat Disneyland update):

"The most interesting news coming out of the Parks Panel for Anaheim was the one Lasseter just drooled over - the remaking of Paradise Pier into Pixar Pier. My favorite part of the whole discussion was turning around during the panel and reading Chapek’s lines on the teleprompter in the back of the room. And when this topic came up for Lasseter’s lines, the teleprompter just read: “No specifics. Be vague. Mention Ride” and Lasseter did his best impromptu discussion of the whole panel and only grumbled (into Chapek’s microphone) about the coming ride."
Well, Lasseter was actually drooling.

nevol

I keep coming back to this announcement as the most puzzling and as potentially the most intriguing. I think we definitely see the IP focused lands plan for DCA going forward with Pixar in the Pier/Carsland, Marvel in the expansion plot behind Tower and Bug's Land, and potentially the Fab Five/classic Disney in the Backlot/Buena Vista Street. And I can see strength in that approach. It all comes down to execution on the Pier.

...Hopefully, #1 (the Screamin' queue) and #2 (the Carousel) will be similarly addressed. And I think this is feasible in the year time frame that has been mentioned.

...If not, could we at least see a couple of the flat rides in Bug's Land moved to the Screamin' helixes? Bumper Cars would be a perfect pier attraction, so maybe Drive 'Em Buggies in the eastern helix near the carousel, with a similarly appropriate cover structure? I would say Flik's Flyers for the other, but there are already two hanging spinning rides and both the swings and the zephyr are more appropriate for the pier. Maybe Lady Bug Boogie (or some other teacup-esque ride using that mechanism) in the Maliboomer plot?

I think they'd have zero incentive for a screamin' queue redo or relocation if it weren't for losing bugs land. If it is possible to move the queue, then they can put one more more flat rides there and another in the maliboomer plot. I doubt they could build into the western helix, not that you mentioned that specifically.

SSG

I wonder if we’ll see an expanded Pacific Wharf along with the move to Pixar Pier? If Disney is worried about Ariel’s Grotto and Little Mermaid clashing with the Pixar theme (and Disney might not be concerned over this) it’d be a simple matter to re-draw the map to make them part of the wharf.

Screenshot (16)_LI.jpg

habuma

I wonder if we’ll see an expanded Pacific Wharf along with the move to Pixar Pier? If Disney is worried about Ariel’s Grotto and Little Mermaid clashing with the Pixar theme (and Disney might not be concerned over this) it’d be a simple matter to re-draw the map to make them part of the wharf.View attachment 216242

Agreed. I've wondered the same thing, although the two lands would then be more connected than they are now (no clear distinction, except on a map, where on starts and one stops. I also wonder (hope) that if they are going to retheme the Fun Wheel to Pixar if they could still keep Mickey on the Pacific Wharf-facing side.

Yeah, I know...not likely...but given that the entrance to the Fun Wheel is on the other side and you can't even see Mickey when you're riding it, maybe from an aesthetic standpoint there could be 2 sides of the Fun Wheel...the Pixar side and the Pacific Wharf-facing Mickey side. If they did that, then I could set aside most of my other complaints about this change.

mickEblu

The known issue list on the pier includes aesthetic redressing of: 1) California Screamin' queue and load area, 2) King Triton's carousel, 3) the Fun Wheel queue, load area and surrounding area, 4) the exterior of the remaining shops on the boardwalk, and 5) the Maliboomer plot. From the concept art we have been shown, we can see that #4 (the shops) should be addressed, and likely #3 (the Fun Wheel) will be getting some attention. It's a shame that we likely will not get the full wrap around boardwalk around the Fun Wheel, as it would appear that is not possible with some of the World of Color equipment, but hopefully, the rest can be redressed to a Pixar "Mictorian" aesthetic. Hopefully, #1 (the Screamin' queue) and #2 (the Carousel) will be similarly addressed. And I think this is feasible in the year time frame that has been mentioned.

Ideally, though, this would not be the extent of the changes, to really sell this re-theme. It should include redressing of the Swings, Jumpin' Jellyfish, Goofy's Sky School, and the Golden Zephyr. Two of those could be really simple (the Zephyr and Jumpin' Jellyfish) depending on the particular characters used. I could even envision Goofy's Sky School going from a wild mouse coaster to a wild Rat(atouille) coaster, but could not imagine that including any of these four attractions in the re-theme could be accomplished in year.

If not, could we at least see a couple of the flat rides in Bug's Land moved to the Screamin' helixes? Bumper Cars would be a perfect pier attraction, so maybe Drive 'Em Buggies in the eastern helix near the carousel, with a similarly appropriate cover structure? I would say Flik's Flyers for the other, but there are already two hanging spinning rides and both the swings and the zephyr are more appropriate for the pier. Maybe Lady Bug Boogie (or some other teacup-esque ride using that mechanism) in the Maliboomer plot?

My head keeps spinning of the potential of what they could do and the fear of what they could leave undone. I have to imagine more will be revealed soon given the quick time frame.

I think instead of retheming GSS again they should get rid of it. It's kind of redundant right next to Screamin anyway. I would have liked to of seen GSS become a VR Coaster. Anyway, I'm not 100% of the layout. What could they do with GSS's space? Could they maybe use it as a queue for a dark ride show building built on the maliboomer pad and connect to it via walkway or tunnel? Or is there room for a proper dark ride and queue at the Maliboomer without getting rid of a ride for a queue?

Last edited:

dweezil78

I wonder if we’ll see an expanded Pacific Wharf along with the move to Pixar Pier? If Disney is worried about Ariel’s Grotto and Little Mermaid clashing with the Pixar theme (and Disney might not be concerned over this) it’d be a simple matter to re-draw the map to make them part of the wharf.

View attachment 216242

Isn't the part of the area where Ariel's Grotto resides the actual 'pier' part of Paradise Pier though? The rest of it is really just land around Paradise Bay.

Last edited:

disneylandcm

@marni1971, do you have any insight into what we can actually expect to see in Pixar Pier in 2018, and in the future? Oh... and is Mickey and Minnie' Rinaway Railway now off the table? I was kinda hoping it would help revitalize the north side of Hollywoodland in the Sunset Showcase Theater. Thank you!

Last edited:

nevol

View attachment 216242

That would be really cool. Cove bar and ariel's grotto are obviously nice and major money makers, but they could connect that pier area with the warf by putting sheets of rockwork/cliffs underneath. Would be really pretty and pretty easy to get rid of the contemporary finishes that remain on that structure, keep the retail and dining intact, but by placing them on rocks rather than stilts, they could emulate the old cliff house in san francisco while creating a sort of big-sur type coastal landscape. All around the lagoon, there are no natural waterfronts aside from some inaccessible beach. If they extend the rockwork from the warf toward ariel's grotto, they can emulate California, improve the landscape, and protect and promote IP.

http-%2F%2Fa.amz.mshcdn.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2015%2F05%2FCliff-8.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom