News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

mickEblu

I'm thoroughly into the constant tinkering that's happening at Parks & Resorts right now. Its a great time to be a Disney Parks fan, and I'm loving it. My only disappointment with yesterday's news dump is that a top-to-bottom Tomorrowland revitalization remains a low priority for Disney.

It does give us some entertainment and things to talk about but I'm definitely not a fan of the overall direction of DCA, soon to be DAP. I think the writing is on the wall now that "California" will be removed from the park name, even though technically it doesn't have to be with the "this is about adventures at our Disney park located in California" non sense excuse. Also what is this nostalgia killing going to do to their bottom line in the long run? Pretty soon, the only thing a kid will have to get nostalgic about at DCA is Grizzly River Run. I think a little of this is still fall out from DCA 1.0 but the majority of it is about showcasing all of their expensive acquisitions. I'm guessing after about 2022, DCA will go through a long period of no big changes.

Yeah, when are they going to give TL some love? I'll take Tron and that outer space restaurant from EPCOT please.

mickEblu

I like Zephyr, but... Yes, exactly. Announcing s couple of actual new rides would have taken all the "Wha...?" out of the reaction. A new dark ride would have made this a celebration.

But what do you wanna bet we get the cruddy Slinky Dog Himalaya where Triton's carousel is. I wouldn't mind if Goofy's Wild Mouse was replaced by RC Racer, though.

i would of preferred they removed GSS / maliboomer pad and just added a new dark ride based on (insert Pixar IP). Heck, they could even knock themselves out and theme all the flats and facades to Pixar. No need to give it the horrendous name of Pixar Pier. And no need to IPify Screamin or the retheme the Fun Wheel again.

Last edited:

djlaosc

Questions that need answering...

• How are they going to do this? (Take all of Paradise Pier down at once, or one attraction/building at a time)
  • How much of Paradise Pier are they going to overlay? Just the Boardwalk, or the entire land?
  • When are they going to do this?
  • Will The Little Mermaid - Ariel's Undersea Adventure move to Pacific Wharf?
  • How easy is it going to be to move Francis' Ladybug Boogie, Flik's Flyers, Tuck and Roll's Drive 'Em Buggies, Princess Dot Puddle Park and Heimlich's Chew Chew Train to Pixar Pier?
  • How easy would it be to re-theme the aforementioned attractions?
  • Will King Triton's Carousel be re-themed to Finding Nemo or Finding Dory?
  • How will they re-theme the other attractions? (California Screamin' to The Incredibles, Mickey's Fun Wheel to Luxo Jr.? Silly Symphony Swings or Goofy's Sky School to WALL-E? Jumpin' Jellyfish to Up? Golden Zephyr to Buzz Lightyear Rockets (no possessive necessary?)
  • Who will now conduct Instant Concert... Just Add Water?
  • What character meal will Ariel's Grotto be replaced with?
  • When is Paradise Pier Hotel next due for a refurbishment?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

It does give us some entertainment and things to talk about but I'm definitely not a fan of the overall direction of DCA, soon to be DAP.

I understand this, but Pixar lands are clearly a mandate at all Disney resorts, therefore it was inevitable that one would eventually end up at DLR. Considering all this I think a reworking of Paradise Pier around Pixar is a much better solution than devoting acres of land in Anaheim for another Pixar Playland. This is one of those instances where not having endless acres for expansion works out to DL's benefit.

Last edited by a moderator:

mickEblu

I feel that someone in TDA or WDI really wanted to finish the Paradise Pier job off that got started but never really finished. When trying to convince the higher ups I feel that an IP tie in was the only way to get it approved.

Good on them. Hopefully they can just finish the job and overlay GRR into Grizzly River Run: Humphrey the Bear's Brave Journey/ adventure:;(River Raft Ride)

The_Mesh_Hatter

LOL. Hey that's not fair. I think it's pretty safe to assume Jumpin Jellyfish will be rethemed to the green army men parachutes.

Remember it's a very short project. I don't think they're touching the entire land, just the pier section around Midway Mania. A lot of money was put into the Paradise Park area. There's no reason to touch Silly Symphony Swings or the massive Paradise Grill. Those could be woven into "Paradise Park," or whatever they call that area that is home to the Little Mermaid and World of Color. Maybe in the future that no-man's-area will get a classic Disney animation theme and we'll see Goofy's Sky School (or even better, the awkward Little Mermaid ride) replaced with Mickey and the Runaway Rail Road.

My prediction:
BJUCV2Y.png

Screamin', Fun Wheel, and Carousel get rethemed. If we're lucky, we'll get a new flat ride replacing the old Maliboomer plot as well.

I'm not sure if they'll touch the Cove Bar but if they do there should be no functional changes as it's already hugely popular. I'd love for them to get rid of the textures in that structure that don't jive with the victorian details (awnings, teal, metallic accents) but it would be at the expense of a thematic downgrade.

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

So....just making sure I got this straight: WDW's getting Tron, Ratatouille, a new indoor coaster, a new skyway and a MICKEY MOUSE DARK RIDE.
And DLR is getting...signage.

Not one of the new offerings coming to WDW interests me/makes me jealous. Also, their 50th is coming up, so it makes sense the resort is getting some new additions.

I don't understand why fans care so much about what one resort is getting and what the other isn't.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom