News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

mikenatcity1

I wonder if all the rides in the pier will be re-themed or kept as-is? Triton's carousel, Goofy's Flight School, Mickey's Fun wheel...all very non-Pixar...I guess time will tell...

lazyboy97o

While I'm just as confused about Pixar Pier as everyone else, I don't quite think it's that bad. And I actually think it's a better idea than Pixar Place, which appears to be going away in DHS anyway.

For those who haven't been to DHS, Pixar Place is a small recreation of the Pixar Studios up in Emeryville, and it contains the Midway Mania ride, simply called Toy Story Mania there because it's not on a midway.

The real Pixar Studios in Emeryville is a pleasant looking but rather non-descript upscale business park. Bricks and leafy trees type of hipster place, behind locked gates and surface parking lots with plenty of plug ins for the executive's fleet of Teslas. And a Starbucks in the lobby. Pleasant looking, but nothing special or unique.
Pixar1-1.jpg

The street in DHS that leads you to Midway Mania evokes those bricks and entryway.
capture-d_c3a9cran-2012-01-06-c3a0-00-06-49.png

Again, it's pleasant looking. But the architecture is rather mundane, unless you are a huge fan of bricks. How many of those tourists even get the visual references to the Emeryville campus 3,000 miles away?

Which brings us to Pixar Pier, which is really Phase Three of the re-Imagineering and plussing up of the rather tragic 2001 version of Paradise Pier. Phase One of the remake was the addition of Midway Mania in 2008, which brought dramatically upgraded architecture and themeing to Paul Pressler's cheap stucco wonderland. Phase Two of the remake was the 2010-2011 upgraded resurfacing of existing facilities; Games of the Boardwalk, Paradise Gardens, Goofy's Sky School, and the opening of Little Mermaid in '11. The one area that was barely touched was the Sideshow Shirts and Fun Wheel portion of the boardwalk.

Although back when they announced the DCA Remake in 2007 there were plans to upgrade that stretch of the boardwalk as well, and make it look like this...
2a3abfeb2f4c1ae4a5a17a6d68577e9d.jpg

The one piece of artwork they released today for Pixar Pier, is of that exact area that got cut from the original 2007 budget before it was built. Not quite as grand as the '07 proposal, but still a thematic improvement over what is there today hanging off the original 2001 stucco bones.
npifi498978951.jpg

Like @Curious Constance, I'm going to wait for more info and artwork to be released on this one. I'm still confused what it is and what it does. And why. But I think thematically and for the vast majority of the paying audience, a visual environment like Pixar Pier above is a much more engaging theme park environment than a recreation of a brick office park.
The name of the attraction at both parks is Toy Story Midway Mania and it is branded at both as Toy Story Mania!.

You are confusing architectural aesthetic with theme. Making more of the Boardwalk look old timey is not a thematic improvement when it ultimately has a connection to nothing. Being more ornate does not automatically mean more “themed.” It is an unrelated, arbitrary aesthetic choice that does not connect to Pixar. Pixar Place was intended to include other Pixar properties and therefore gave the studio aesthetic a reasoning.

MKeeler

I will echo this being a very odd announcement, though I think it gives us some insight into the future of DCA. With this announcement, I agree and take it as confirmation that Bug's Land is gone, absorbed into the new Marvel Universe section. With that, we now have the Marvel area, Carsland, Pixar Pier covering the back half of the park. I can also see the Backlot area becoming designated for a "Disney"/Fab Five theme. That would only leave Buena Vista St, Grizzly Peak and the Wharf as lands not governed by an IP. And I'm having a hard time imagining that they would change those.

It will also be interesting to see when we start to learn more about Pixar Pier. With it opening next summer, I would imagine we would learn details sooner rather than later. I think we can speculate on how some changes will go: Incredibles to Screamin', Nemo/Dory to the Carousel, Luxo/Luxo Ball to the Fun Wheel, lesser Pixar properties to the games of the boardwalk. If they continue on around, the question marks become the Silly Symphony Swings, Jumpin' Jellyfish and Goofy's Sky School. I know it's not common to move rides, but I could definitely envision moving Tuck and Rolls to the Pier (of all the Bug's Land rides, bumper cars make the most sense in a pier park) and Turtle Talk in an aquarium setting (ala DisneySea).

disneyC97

Hopefully this at least finally brings aesthetic upgrades to match TSMM to:
Fun Wheel and Screamin' queues
The carousel
Jumpin Jellyfish
Goofy's Sky School
The remaining shops (not just the ones shown last night)

I would say of all the bugs land rides maybe Flik's but does the area really need another swing in a circle ride?

D

Deleted member 107043

Disney needs to have The Good Bob and a few top execs say a few words to kick things off, and then just hand it over to the professionals for the next 60 minutes and let them roll out the big news and future plans. Disney could single-handedly bring back the Industrial Musical if they wanted to. D23 Expo is a perfect venue for it.

I haven't bothered watching any of yesterday's presentations but this sounds like an excellent idea.

BrianLo

I took inventory of the announcements for each resort last night and it's insane what's in the pipeline for WDW! Time for me to start thinking about making a trip to Florida.

Great time to visit now... but I'll be back 2020 for sure. Rat and Tron are not insanely exciting as clones, but for people who can only do the domestic parks that lineup is really helping to solidify the parks versus Cali.

For people who only have access to WDW, it sounds like they more than have enough to check off my 8 new things requirement to justify annual trips again. Crazy because it previously took them 5 years between 2012->2017 to even do 8 new things. I don't think that 50 for 50 marketing campaign is going to be lip service in the least.

mickEblu

Alright that blog post makes it clear this is a permanent change for a temporary festival.

Aesthetic upgrade for a thematic downgrade....

That said from the extremely limited art it does look rather easy to change... or at least not atrociously 'pixar'.

I place the importance of aesthetics slightly ahead of theming. If it's truly an aesthetic upgrade I could live with it even though I hate the idea of Pixar Pier. The question is will it be? And even if it's a minor aesthetic upgrade is it worth the even bigger thematic downgrade? Mickeys Fun Wheel is the park icon and very pleasant to look at. That picture folks take from Paradise Pier with the Fun Wheel in the background seems to be be one of the more popular Photo spots at the entire resort. Also, what sort of Incredibles tackiness will they be adding to Screamin? The Incredibles is probably my favorite Pixar movie behind Toy Story but this isn't how I wanted to see the franchise make its big park debut.

Thankfully from the concept art, it looks like we won't be getting any oversized Woody heads.

Last edited:

Disneylover152

Not loving this idea, but hopefully more specific information, including dates will be released soon - we have our first DLR trip booked for April next year staying at Villas at Grand Californian and am not looking forward to the prospect of looking out over a building site.

Me too! I am going in early May next year, staying at the Paradise Pier Hotel, with a suite-overlooking The park. I do not want to be looking at a Construction Zone. If I want to do that, I'll just drive down my local highway, lol.

Curious Constance

John Lasseter said, "Maybe some new rides too?" And bald Bob said, "I think we can do that." So we'll be getting new rideS. I'm really, really hoping these things go:

Zephyr
Jumpin Jellyfish
Goofy's Sky School
Blank Maliboomer area

And if they are replaced with much better attractions, even if they are Pixar themed, I'll be just fine with this. DCA needs new rides everyone can do together.

mickEblu

John Lasseter said, "Maybe some new rides too?" And bald Bob said, "I think we can do that." So we'll be getting new rideS. I'm really, really hoping these things go:

Zephyr
Jumpin Jellyfish
Goofy's Sky School
Blank Maliboomer area

And if they are replaced with much better attractions, even if they are Pixar themed, I'll be just fine with this. DCA needs new rides everyone can do together.

Zephyr doesn't bother me and based on its location I don't think removing it would really give us any options. But I'm all for using the maliboomer pad, GSS and JJ for a new dark ride. But I'm guessing it's almost impossible that happens in one year. Maybe as a phase 2?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

I'm thoroughly into the constant tinkering that's happening at Parks & Resorts right now. Its a great time to be a Disney Parks fan, and I'm loving it. My only disappointment with yesterday's news dump is that a top-to-bottom Tomorrowland revitalization remains a low priority for Disney.

Rich T

Zephyr
Jumpin Jellyfish
Goofy's Sky School
Blank Maliboomer area

I like Zephyr, but... Yes, exactly. Announcing s couple of actual new rides would have taken all the "Wha...?" out of the reaction. A new dark ride would have made this a celebration.

But what do you wanna bet we get the cruddy Slinky Dog Himalaya where Triton's carousel is. I wouldn't mind if Goofy's Wild Mouse was replaced by RC Racer, though.

Curious Constance

I like Zephyr, but... Yes, exactly. Announcing s couple of actual new rides would have taken all the "Wha...?" out of the reaction. A new dark ride would have made this a celebration.

But what do you wanna bet we get the cruddy Slinky Dog Himalaya where Triton's carousel is. I wouldn't mind if Goofy's Wild Mouse was replaced by RC Racer, though.

I don't know why they have to keep so many dang secrets. Just tell us already!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom