News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

DLR92

Since when has Disney taken such a literal, restrictive view on what ride systems are "logical?" In the Haunted Mansion we're in fantastical "doom buggies" being pulled through a house, in Frozen we're riding a boat through the inside of a castle. Suspension of disbelief is part of the game.

Plus using a tunnel of love ride system in Pixar Pier actually helps anchor Coco to the land's theme of a seaside amusement pier. I certainly think a suspended omnimover would have been an inspired choice but let's not act like choosing a boat ride for Coco is some great violation of Disney's ethos.

I wonder if we'll do the transition to the land of the dead as a preshow with special effects like walking through the screen for Runaway Railway
I can say the same with Indiana Jones. It not practical to realistically drive a Jeep in a temple. LOL

Last edited:

Parteecia

I just hope that this ride will be more faithful to Coco than TBA looks like it will be to Princess and the Frog. Please please let them learn that lesson.

Touchdown

Also Hector and Miguel litterally get thrown into a water filled cave by Ernesto after his party (it’s the scene where Miguel figures out Hector is his great great grandpa and Hector sings the lullaby version of Renember Me. It’s why I thought that Coco would have made a far better replacement for MK splash that would have blended in better with what’s around it.

coffeefan

Also Hector and Miguel litterally get thrown into a water filled cave by Ernesto after his party (it’s the scene where Miguel figures out Hector is his great great grandpa and Hector sings the lullaby version of Renember Me. It’s why I thought that Coco would have made a far better replacement for MK splash that would have blended in better with what’s around it.
My ideal location for Coco would've been Frontierland, but I think this would've been a good option as well.

MistaDee

My ideal location for Coco would've been Frontierland, but I think this would've been a good option as well.

I'm very happy it's going into DCA. Fits the California theme (let's not forget Alta California used to be Mexico) and the Pixar IP pre-requisite. Another dark ride with boats for Disneyland would just further imbalance the appeal and capacity deficit between the 2 parks

mickEblu

I'm very happy it's going into DCA. Fits the California theme (let's not forget Alta California used to be Mexico) and the Pixar IP pre-requisite. Another dark ride with boats for Disneyland would just further imbalance the appeal and capacity deficit between the 2 parks

I think he was talking about the MK version

coffeefan

Immersion-wise, I think Frontierland would be ideal because Miguel's town of Santa Cecilia would fit right in aesthetically. Also, Disney already has a Day of Dead celebration at Frontierland each year, and Rancho del Zocalo is right there, too. The ride system could also be changed if the attraction went in that area. For example, I read some comments suggesting riders could ride alebrijes through the land of the dead.

However, I understand the circumstances of why it needs to go to DCA, and I am cool with that. I just hope the attraction is great. (The California connection isn't a factor, given the direction of the park IMO.)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Immersion-wise, I think Frontierland would be ideal because Miguel's town of Santa Cecilia would fit right in aesthetically. Also, Disney already has a Day of Dead celebration at Frontierland each year, and Rancho del Zocalo is right there, too. The ride system could also be changed if the attraction went in that area. For example, I read some comments suggesting riders could ride alebrijes through the land of the dead.

However, I understand the circumstances of why it needs to go to DCA, and I am cool with that. I just hope the attraction is great. (The California connection isn't a factor, given the direction of the park IMO.)

Where would they put it in Frontierland? The only space available is TSI, and I don't know if that is enough space.

MistaDee

Thematically Santa Cecilia would definitely fit Frontierland and makes more aesthetic sense for Coco than an amusement pier.

But DCA already has a Coco Plaza de la Familia Day of the Dead celebration at Paradise Gardens so that seems a little more relevant if we're going off current entertainment offerings right?

Plus Disneyland is just so spoiled when it comes to quality experiences, I'm really glad DCA is getting 3 solid dark rides. Now whether that'll be 1 E + 2 D's or 2 E's + 1 D remains to be seen.... my heart hopes they go all out for Coco but my head says expect a Tangled level experience

coffeefan

Where would they put it in Frontierland? The only space available is TSI, and I don't know if that is enough space.
Space is the tricky part at Frontierland. I think they would need to make it 2-3 levels to best use the space and maybe dig down to maintain forced perspectives. The best spot would be across from BTMR. Option 2 could be replacing the gift shop, shooting arcade, and the fantasyland theater area.

DlandCoco.jpg

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Space is the tricky part at Frontierland. I think they would need to make it 2-3 levels to best use the space and maybe dig down to maintain forced perspectives. The best spot would be across from BTMR. Option 2 could be replacing the gift shop, shooting arcade, and the fantasyland theater area.

View attachment 814797
Well first your Option 2 is not the Fantasyland Theater area (which is actually the big tented one next to Small World) that is the Fantasy Faire area which has a bunch of things in there. The small little theater there is called the Royal Theater which up until recently was having storytelling shows. And of course that would require annexing that area to Frontierland from Fantasyland, which doesn't make sense in this context.

On your Option 1, that is some of the last remaining old remnants of the Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland. I remember years ago there were rumors of that area being worked on for something, but I don't remember what and it obviously never happened. Somewhere near there as I recall is also the holding area for the F! barges.

Neither of these areas are big enough for a modern attraction in my opinion. Could it be possible, sure but I sort of doubt it. And certainly not a multi-level building in that small footprint. Disney doesn't build like that anymore. Bottom line I don't see Frontierland being expanded in any significant way, and is not getting a new attraction, unless they fill in RoA like at MK but I don't see that happening anytime soon (5+ years) if ever.

coffeefan

Well first your Option 2 is not the Fantasyland Theater area (which is actually the big tented one next to Small World) that is the Fantasy Faire area which has a bunch of things in there. The small little theater there is called the Royal Theater which up until recently was having storytelling shows. And of course that would require annexing that area to Frontierland from Fantasyland, which doesn't make sense in this context.

On your Option 1, that is some of the last remaining old remnants of the Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland. I remember years ago there were rumors of that area being worked on for something, but I don't remember what and it obviously never happened. Somewhere near there as I recall is also the holding area for the F! barges.

Neither of these areas are big enough for a modern attraction in my opinion. Could it be possible, sure but I sort of doubt it. And certainly not a multi-level building in that small footprint. Disney doesn't build like that anymore. Bottom line I don't see Frontierland being expanded in any significant way, and is not getting a new attraction, unless they fill in RoA like at MK but I don't see that happening anytime soon (5+ years) if ever.
Very interesting insights! I had never heard of the Main Train through Nature's Wonderland before. I think an argument could be made that one new shiny attraction would help offset the impact of closing Tomorrowland or the Autopia area (for the rumored Fantasyland expansion). I think Option 1 is big enough, especially if they close that entrance into SWGE (the Fantasyland entrance is nearby and better IMO). Anyway, it's not going to happen, but it's fun to imagine.

mickEblu

Not only are those areas not big enough but I can’t think of many worse places to put a ride than that spot along the river. Not only is it beautiful but it makes the land seem much larger than it is. Really makes you feel like you’re in the… frontier. And that goes from both sides. From Big Thunder trail looking toward the river and from the river boats/ TSI looking toward Thunder. Just a ghastly suggestion.

coffeefan

Not only are those areas not big enough but I can’t think of many worse places to put a ride than that spot along the river. Not only is it beautiful but it makes the land seem much larger than it is. Really makes you feel like you’re in the… frontier. And that goes from both sides. From Big Thunder trail looking toward the river and from the river boats/ TSI looking toward Thunder. Just a ghastly suggestion.
I think it goes without saying that part of the building would be camouflaged and covered with foliage, so the atmosphere and vibes of the area remain similar. I think, eventually, something will go in that area because of space constraints in the park.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I think it goes without saying that part of the building would be camouflaged and covered with foliage, so the atmosphere and vibes of the area remain similar. I think, eventually, something will go in that area because of space constraints in the park.

It’s impossible to put a building in that space and have the area remain similar. Especially one that would contain a D ticket attraction.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
The small little theater there is called the Royal Theater which up until recently was having storytelling shows.
Still is, but only Fri-Mon.
I remember years ago there were rumors of that area being worked on for something, but I don't remember what and it obviously never happened.
I remember FreshBaked was following some work being done there a few years back, but turned out to be just some fresh paint or new retaining walls or something. Not sure if that is what you are remembering or a rumor that was going around on these boards.
Somewhere near there as I recall is also the holding area for the F! barges.
I thought the barges were being kept in the storage building that was built when the north side of the river was being rerouted.

1726168837709.png

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Still is, but only Fri-Mon.
Thanks, I hadn't checked on showtimes recently.

I remember FreshBaked was following some work being done there a few years back, but turned out to be just some fresh paint or new retaining walls or something. Not sure if that is what you are remembering or a rumor that was going around on these boards.
It was something else from years ago, as I said I don't remember what.

I thought the barges were being kept in the storage building that was built when the north side of the river was being rerouted.

View attachment 815019
You could be right, that is why I said "near" there didn't remember the exact location. But if so I can't see how they get them in there, as there doesn't appear to be enough space to fit them under the waterfall (which is where I assume the entrance was) as the bridge supports are movable.

Anyways, it still doesn't make that area the poster was talking about usable.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That area is smaller than you realize, so its not as usable as you think. I'm not sure your age, but construction of a show building isn't something that is just easily thrown up without any sense of planning. That area is basically a 1/2 acre, which is not really enough space to put anything other than maybe a spinner and its queue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom