News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

dweezil78

I am keeping my arguments straight.

I'm saying flat rides work perfectly fine in fantasy worlds like Fantasyland, Tomorrowland, etc. You can have a flat ride in Frontierland themed to horse and buggie. A tractor jamboree can fit in the fictional world of Cars. A swirling saucers play set can fit in the fictional world of Toy Storyl. Flat rides don't work in real world places like the Animal Kingdom unless its themed to a carnival or a seaside amusement pier. And when something is themed to a carnival, its cheap.

The story of Bugs Land is "Flik and his friends noticed the construction of California Adventure next door. They began to have their own fun and build a fun fair in their home. As Imagineers were building Tower of Terror, they noticed this Bug Fun Fair in the garden in front of the hotel. Imagineers decided to open up this fun fair to guests of California Adventure."

You can't have a fun fair themed to Bugs in the Animal Kingdom, a place about the real world. Fictional Bugs with their carnival has no place in the Animal Kingdom.

I'm not going to fight this anymore.

Toss all that fine rationale aside. Those awful Bug's Land rides have no place in a Disney park, let alone a park as beautiful as DAK. It's bad enough Dino-Rama exists. That should be the sole irregularity and hopefully gets replaced or at least removed one of these days.

Like I said earlier, the soon-to-be Inside Out just barely squeaks by as an acceptable spinner attraction and is able to take on some OK theming, especially in a pier setting. No amount of retooling or tweaking could ever elevate the other ones to anything worthy of being placed in DAK... or even those cheap traveling carnivals that show up in a different city park every weekend.

DanielBB8

[QUOTE="Disneylover152, post: 8298655, member: 110873”] You can't have a fun fair themed to Bugs in the Animal Kingdom, a place about the real world. Fictional Bugs with their carnival has no place in the Animal Kingdom.

I'm not going to fight this anymore.[/QUOTE] You keep saying this without being consistent about California Adventure’s own history of being a park about the real world. The Bugs Land was part of Bountiful Valley Farm (real world) at the time. Fictional bugs will remain in Animal Kingdom as long as the Tree of Life has It’s Tough To Be A Bug within.

Tower of Terror is based on an actual hotel in Hollywood unlike the mythical Tree of Life. NOT REAL.

Professortango1

The Tree of Life area can be cleared out like any other area in Animal Kingdom. Those exploration trails aren’t much explored. They always overbuilt their designs. Wasted space.

Alternatively, they can put the rides at Rafiki Planet Watch.

Considering Tree of Life is their castle, that'd be like bulldozing the hub and putting spinners around Sleeping Beauty's Castle. The exploration trails don't take up much room and weave through the animal exhibits which border the main pathway. There isn't really room to add spinners and queues as spinners often require longer queue areas due to the fact line doesn't move at all for the 2-3 minutes of ride time and unloading.

Professortango1

You can't have a fun fair themed to Bugs in the Animal Kingdom, a place about the real world. Fictional Bugs with their carnival has no place in the Animal Kingdom.

Ummm, there are already fictional bugs in Animal Kingdom. And a cartoon baboon who runs a edutainment facility. The idea of Flik's Fun Fair doesn't fly in the face of Animal Kingdom as its a great way to have an area which provides edutainment on bugs and how conservation affects all living creatures, not just the exotic ones. The problem is that the only Bug's Life attraction at the park is pretty isolated in the center of the park, not really allowing space to flesh out a land.

Besides, I think bugs have more of a place in Animal Kingdom than the Navi.

Rich T

...in the Animal Kingdom, a place about the real world. Fictional Bugs with their carnival has no place in the Animal Kingdom.

But..... Pandora isn't a real place... it isn't even Earth... (Personally, that's exactly why I've never liked the idea of Avatar in AK.)
(EDIT) And, I agree the Bugs Land rides were cheap, awful and won't really be missed by anyone. And here we are getting one of them recycled into DCA's one-and-only Inside-Out attraction. Lucky us. :(

Phroobar

But..... Pandora isn't a real place... it isn't even Earth... (Personally, that's exactly why I've never liked the idea of Avatar in AK.)
(EDIT) And, I agree the Bugs Land rides were cheap, awful and won't really be missed by anyone. And here we are getting one of them recycled into DCA's one-and-only Inside-Out attraction. Lucky us. :(
Fortunately, it is the best one.

Castle Cake Apologist

Ummm, there are already fictional bugs in Animal Kingdom. And a cartoon baboon who runs a edutainment facility. The idea of Flik's Fun Fair doesn't fly in the face of Animal Kingdom as its a great way to have an area which provides edutainment on bugs and how conservation affects all living creatures, not just the exotic ones. The problem is that the only Bug's Life attraction at the park is pretty isolated in the center of the park, not really allowing space to flesh out a land.

Besides, I think bugs have more of a place in Animal Kingdom than the Navi.

ITtBaB is an edutaining show used to educate guests on the importance of insects, bugs, and arachnids. It was designed specifically for DAK with DAK's mission in mind and then later cloned at DCA to prop up its opening day roster. The bugs land attractions do not share this edutainment trait at all, and have nothing in common with ITtBaB outside of originating from the same IP. They are simply carnival rides decorated with A Bug's Life props and really have no place in DAK.

Pandora jives beautifully with DAK's mission, I don't understand why people think that it doesn't? The entire land is rooted in conservation and protecting the environment from undue and harmful human influence.

Last edited:

JD2000

Disney had the easy job to structurally copy this. Easy, right? And yet they somehow managed to execute poorly, and created something less detailed with no cohesiveness.

2015-11-21_0162.jpg

mickEblu

I would hate to see a spinner ride in Frontierland. The whole west side of the park along the ROA is so wonderful because of the rich theming and place making with no flat rides downgrading the atmosphere/ ambiance. Flat rides don’t really work with the themes of the west side of the park anyway. I think the only place there should be spinners or flat rides in DL is FL and Toontown. Get rid of the Astro orbiter. It’s 2018. A big hunk of junk spinner doesn’t say Tomorrowland in anyway.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I would hate to see a spinner ride in Frontierland. The whole west side of the park along the ROA is so wonderful because of the rich theming and place making with no flat rides downgrading the atmosphere/ ambiance. Flat rides don’t really work with the themes of the west side of the park anyway. I think the only place there should be spinners or flat rides in DL is FL and Toontown. Get rid of the Astro orbiter. It’s 2018. A big hunk of junk spinner doesn’t say Tomorrowland in anyway.

I agree on the Astro Orbiter in TL, it needs to go.

mickEblu

So I finally saw Pixar Pier in person yesterday. By the way the park was slammed. The walkways have been worse but the ride times for the Es were crazy. GOTG:MB= 120 min, Space = 120 min, Splash =90 min. The Incredicoaster was a welcome 45 minutes.

I think my original prediction of Pixar Pier being a lateral move, thematic downgrade and aesthetic upgrade are pretty accurate. Although, not as big of an aesthetic upgrade as I had imagined.

I like the pier entrance marquee and Cove Bar except for the Gold. Not crazy about the Knick knacks marquee. The Lamplight lounge/ Cove Bar upper seating area looks exactly the same as The Abominable shack is fine. I really like Pixar billboards. As I made the turn down the Pier to the Incredibles area I felt for some reason more of a pier/ beach vibe than in the past. Not sure if this was because of the definite energy increase in the area or that my eyes were more drawn to the palm trees because of the arch. Or perhaps because the area feels more open now. Regardless I like the area outside of the Incredicoaster and between the carousel more now. I like Not being able to see the cheap looking carrousel and Triton on stucco and seeing a water feature instead. The arch is cool and I like the art style they chose for it and some of the walls in the Q. Don’t like the six flags Esque TVs playing a pre show or the profiles of the Supers in the Q. Love the mid century modern feel of the loading station. Not crazy about those “umbrellas.” They looked way more appealing in the concept art.

Overall the Incredibles neighborhood and Q are an improvement to stucco land Screamin IMO. I like that it swallowed up the old FP station and feels more open now too.

The carrousel looks like it ll be a major improvement... so long as the big Jessie statue falls off the truck on the way over to DL and breaks into 1000 pieces.

I like the new promenade area and think the new Pal Around (ugh) marquee is really nice. Those yellow tarps have to go though. The games of the boardwalk look fine but I think they looked higher quality before. Bing Bongs looks fine. Thematically Pixar Pier is odd with a mish mash of styles from the mid century modern Incredicoaster to the soon to be Jessie statue to the cartoony/ Victorian style of the Promenade. It’s not really a huge deal though due to the layout being one long strip of land so you only see these areas in a vacuum unless you re looking for problems.

My least favorite parts of Pixar Pier are the Poultry Palace and Senor buzz churros, particularly poultry palace. They both stick out like a sore thumb. Angry dogs didn’t bother me and actually looks fine from across the bay unlike Poultry Palace.

Now for the Incredibles ride experience itself. It honestly isn’t as cringey in person as it is on video. The ride was still a lot of fun obviously as it’s the same track layout and speed. It was also date “night” for me and the wife who haven’t been without our son in a while and were dying for a ride that goes faster than 2 mph. The safety spiel is a downgrade from just having to hear Elastigirls annoying voice. Wish they would have added a decent Edna AA pre launch instead of the figure. The Dash countdown is a definite downgrade from Screamins but not as bad as it is in video. Overall, all of the effects and figures are passable as you re zipping along enjoying the ride except... jack jack on sticks. Wow, can’t understand what they were thinking. They need to hide those sticks and have those jack jacks move. All of the figures in the tunnels could have benefited from some movement but they are passable. On the ride, you don’t really hear or notice as much of the cringey dialogue either. Smelling the cookies in the Mr Incredible tunnel was cool and the smell was very prevalent. Lastly, wish they would have given the figures at the end some movement or made one an AA. My wife and I got off the ride and both thought it was a lot of fun. We re also first time parents of a 2.5 year old and don’t get out much. At least on roller coasters. Incredicoaster brings a different kind of energy to the old attraction. Not necessarily better but different. Time will tell if it ll be as repeatable as Screamin but I don’t think so.

After riding the Incredicoaster, I take back what I said about it being the biggest disappointment of Pixar Pier. The biggest disappointment is actually what it looks like from across the bay. The chunky red scream tunnels/ ugly red horror lighting and the yellow Pal Around “tarps” / Poultry Palace look bad.

Overall, an unnecessary way to spend a rumored 150 million. I feel they could have added some Pixar elements here and there, upgraded the pier entry and given us a dark ride for nearly the same price. One of these Pixar Properties should get the park treatment it deserves. Since TSMM exists (not saying it’s great but it’s not a flat ride) Incredibles, inside Out or Coco should have gotten a dark ride. They just don’t seem to be spending their money wisely.

Last edited:

Ismael Flores

and now we know why they called it sweet stuff and not just confectionary. seems like it is a play on words in meaning it is a sweet stuff but not necessarily just candy. it looks like they sell more than just candy.

for some reason i imagined it being like the candy palace on main street but i see toys and merchandise.

weird

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom