News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Phroobar

a34d7eed4ba825b017ae7764fb257320.jpg

FerretAfros

Fingers crossed for Heimlich!
lady bug boogie has sych a small footprint that they can put it in several place in the grizzley area.
giphy.gif

The proposed location is not at DLR.

I trust this person implicitly, but the very idea of relocating these attractions to "save money" is just so patently absurd that I have to question it. Why go through the expense of relocating and building all new support facilities for the negligible savings on a (cheap, standard) ride mechanism that's already got 16 years of wear and tear on it? It's an idea so dumb that only Disney could come up with it.

lazyboy97o

giphy.gif

I trust this person implicitly, but the very idea of relocating these attractions to "save money" is just so patently absurd that I have to question it. Why go through the expense of relocating and building all new support facilities for the negligible savings on a (cheap, standard) ride mechanism that's already got 16 years of wear and tear on it? It's an idea so dumb that only Disney could come up with it.
Maybe someone at Disney is feuding with Antonio Jr?

dweezil78

OC Fair? Because anything else makes no sense. Beyond the nice little spinner, nothing else really seems worth salvaging to me there. It's all pretty junky carnival stuff. The spinner is basic, but at least is a cute little kid's ride for what it is. I'd throw the rest in the dumpster.

Only thing I can think of is that there are actual parts within those attractions that could be used elsewhere. i.e. -- perhaps they use those turntables from Ladybug Boogie to make a third section for the Alien ride in Toy Story Land?

DanielBB8

They're going to move the existing ride mechanism. Disney tends to amortize attractions over 20 years, and since the Flik's Fun Fair addition is less than 20 years old they haven't fully "gotten their money's worth" from it yet. [Edit: If one of my sources is to be believed, this won't be the only attraction from that area that finds a new home elsewhere]

Nevermind that relocation, redressing, reinstallation, and site work at the new location will likely cost orders of magnitude more than the ride mechanism itself. Or that the ride mechanism is a sunk cost at this point. Or the opportunity cost of using the Maliboomer site that could easily be an expansion pad for an all-new attraction that is actually worthwhile and marketable.

Disney is going to save money, no matter how much it costs them!
The remaining Bugs Land attractions should find a home at Animal Kingdom that still has the Bugs Life 3D movie. This is especially necessary since Disney World doesn’t have nearly as many flat fides as Disneyland Resort.

Disneylover152

This is especially necessary since Disney World doesn’t have nearly as many flat fides as Disneyland Resort.

Yea, but Disney World has 5 Dumbos... so it evens out.

Plus I'd rather have less rides and no flat rides than more rides with flat rides. Flat rides scream cheap and they scream Eisner Era. At least the flat rides post-Eisner like Mater and Luigi are exclusive to Disney Parks.

DanielBB8

Yea, but Disney World has 5 Dumbos... so it evens out.

Plus I'd rather have less rides and no flat rides than more rides with flat rides. Flat rides scream cheap and they scream Eisner Era. At least the flat rides post-Eisner like Mater and Luigi are exclusive to Disney Parks.
But 3 are at Magic Kingdom park. It’s not evenly divided among 4 parks. Some parks need it more than others. Epcot has no flat rides. Animal Kingdom has one.

Castle Cake Apologist

The remaining Bugs Land attractions should find a home at Animal Kingdom that still has the Bugs Life 3D movie. This is especially necessary since Disney World doesn’t have nearly as many flat fides as Disneyland Resort.

Have you ever been to DAK? ITtBaB Is located inside the Tree of Life, which is pretty isolated on an island, and is surrounded by water and exploration trails through the roots and landscaping. There wouldn't really be anywhere to put the rides. Not to mention that bugs land would not fit into the mission or aesthetic of DAK.

DanielBB8

The Tree of Life area can be cleared out like any other area in Animal Kingdom. Those exploration trails aren’t much explored. They always overbuilt their designs. Wasted space.

Alternatively, they can put the rides at Rafiki Planet Watch.

Disneylover152

The Tree of Life area can be cleared out like any other area in Animal Kingdom. Those exploration trails aren’t much explored. They always overbuilt their designs. Wasted space.

Animal Kingdom is built on the idea of Animals and exploring the beauty nature has to offer you. Animals of the past, animals and nature of the present and animals and nature of the imaginary. Closing the trails would be really awful of the park. Especially when giant ladybugs have nothing to do with the message of the park.

Some parks don't need flat rides. Flat rides work in places like California Adventure or Disneyland, but Flat Rides in Animal Kingdom would be a downgrade for the entire park. An area about the real world shouldn't have flat rides, which is why you don't have a Princess and the Frog flat ride in New Orleans Square or a Mad Tea Party in the UK Pavilion at Epcot. It just doesn't fit. Flat rides only fit if something is themed to an amusement park and/or seaside pier or if something is a fictional location like Fantasyland.

Placing a Bugs Life flat ride in the Animal Kingdom is like placing a Mad Tea Party spinner in the China section of Epcot because they like tea in China.

DanielBB8

Animal Kingdom is built on the idea of Animals and exploring the beauty nature has to offer you. Animals of the past, animals and nature of the present and animals and nature of the imaginary. Closing the trails would be really awful of the park. Especially when giant ladybugs have nothing to do with the message of the park.

Some parks don't need flat rides. Flat rides work in places like California Adventure or Disneyland, but Flat Rides in Animal Kingdom would be a downgrade for the entire park. An area about the real world shouldn't have flat rides, which is why you don't have a Princess and the Frog flat ride in New Orleans Square or a Mad Tea Party in the UK Pavilion at Epcot. It just doesn't fit. Flat rides only fit if something is themed to an amusement park and/or seaside pier or if something is a fictional location like Fantasyland.

Placing a Bugs Life flat ride in the Animal Kingdom is like placing a Mad Tea Party spinner in the China section of Epcot because they like tea in China.
Lame. So why is Bugs 3D in the Tree of Life? Bugs are real life. Adding in a Bugs Land in Animal Kingdom is an extension of Bugs 3D. Animal Kingdom’s 3 Pillars already extended real life into Imaginary beasts and Extinct Dinosaurs, which has a cheap carnival Dino-Rama, a fake parking lot carnival with asphalt made to look aged. I’m certainly convinced it’s a carnival.

Disneylover152

Lame. So why is Bugs 3D in the Tree of Life? Bugs are real life. Adding in a Bugs Land in Animal Kingdom is an extension of Bugs 3D. Animal Kingdom’s 3 Pillars already extended real life into Imaginary beasts and Extinct Dinosaurs, which has a cheap carnival Dino-Rama, a fake parking lot carnival with asphalt made to look aged. I’m certainly convinced it’s a carnival.

I never that you couldn't have a Bugs Life attraction in Animal Kingdom. I said that placing flat rides in Animal Kingdom will downgrade the park. The DinoRama of Dinoland downgrades the park. I never said the cheap carnival should be there. I hate it just like 95% of park visitors.

It's like you didn't even read my post...

Suspirian

Its lame to NOT want flat rides?

Disneylover152

One of the things she said that the original plan was to have all the Bugs Land rides relocated to the pier with the exception of the Bumper Cars. Flik's would have turned into an Inside Out ride like we are getting but in the eastern helix, Heimlich would be relocated where the Inside Out ride is now, and Ladybug Boogie would have been turned into a Ratatouille ride place indoors at the Pixar Promenade.

Now that I'm remembering more of this I remember asking why they didn't go with that and she said that they wanted to have "immersive theming" and the Inside Out ride wouldn't make sense in an Incredibles Park and a giant rats wouldn't make sense inside a building.

EDIT: She didn't say immersive theming sarcastically with air quotes like that, I just wanted to make a point that the theming in Pixar Pier is immersive.

DanielBB8

I never that you couldn't have a Bugs Life attraction in Animal Kingdom. I said that placing flat rides in Animal Kingdom will downgrade the park. The DinoRama of Dinoland downgrades the park. I never said the cheap carnival should be there. I hate it just like 95% of park visitors.

It's like you didn't even read my post...
I read you fine. You said flat rides are perfectly fine in DCA and Disneyland yet not in AK. Makes no sense. Animal Kingdom can have a variety of attractions including flat rides and it doesn’t degrade the park. Dino-Rama was badly themed, not that it can’t have flat rides. It’s as if you can’t keep your arguments straight about carnivals, real life, and flat rides. Animal Kingdom isn’t on a pedestal that transcends what an theme park is and it can’t have what Disneyland has.

Disneylover152

I read you fine. You said flat rides are perfectly fine in DCA and Disneyland yet not in AK. Makes no sense. Animal Kingdom can have a variety of attractions including flat rides and it doesn’t degrade the park. Dino-Rama was badly themed, not that it can’t have flat rides. It’s as if you can’t keep your arguments straight about carnivals, real life, and flat rides. Animal Kingdom isn’t on a pedestal that transcends what an theme park is and it can’t have what Disneyland has.

I am keeping my arguments straight.

I'm saying flat rides work perfectly fine in fantasy worlds like Fantasyland, Tomorrowland, etc. You can have a flat ride in Frontierland themed to horse and buggie. A tractor jamboree can fit in the fictional world of Cars. A swirling saucers play set can fit in the fictional world of Toy Storyl. Flat rides don't work in real world places like the Animal Kingdom unless its themed to a carnival or a seaside amusement pier. And when something is themed to a carnival, its cheap.

The story of Bugs Land is "Flik and his friends noticed the construction of California Adventure next door. They began to have their own fun and build a fun fair in their home. As Imagineers were building Tower of Terror, they noticed this Bug Fun Fair in the garden in front of the hotel. Imagineers decided to open up this fun fair to guests of California Adventure."

You can't have a fun fair themed to Bugs in the Animal Kingdom, a place about the real world. Fictional Bugs with their carnival has no place in the Animal Kingdom.

I'm not going to fight this anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom