News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Stevek

it looks like some of the disneyland gangs are claiming their turf in the different pixar pier areas. saw a "gang" sitting by the incredibles fountain while i was waiting in line to get me a delicious cookie. meanwhile, a few from a different gang in line next to me were talking **** about someone's girlfriend from the other gang. when they walked by i thought there was gonna be a shootout or something. :(

They might try stabbing each other with a churro

Phroobar

They were referring to Toyville Trolley Park at Tokyo DisneySea.

I recognized the domes at the entrance to the pier and the copulas at the promenade immediately from Tokyo. The facade for Bing Bongs looks familiar too. Not an exact duplicate though.
It's similar except for the giant woody eating people.

nb20120710a3a.jpg

Disneysea05

In the Parks
Yes
The one area I thoroughly think was an improvement is the promenade area. I love the bricks, and the much more elegant facades and colors.
IMG_2383.JPG

Hopefully the double doors behind the band will one day lead to that theatre that was supposed to be in there. It's apparent that this was not meant to be for outdoor performances.

Curious Constance

The one area I thoroughly think was an improvement is the promenade area. I love the bricks, and the much more elegant facades and colors.
View attachment 293903

Hopefully the double doors behind the band will one day lead to that theatre that was supposed to be in there. It's apparent that this was not meant to be for outdoor performances.

God, those red lights.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
View attachment 293903

This is why I have a feeling, and its just a feeling, this is might to be a multiyear project. Since they couldn't have the entire area down for 18-24 months. So additional pieces are going to be added to continue to "plus" up the entire area. I mean we already know that Jessie and Inside Out aren't coming until next year. And that Luxo is coming later this year. So why can't they add the theater here later in a sort of "phase two". Or why can't they address the Incredicoaster issues as time passes. And as the parks blog will portray it, its a continual project to improve the parks.

Anyways just my thoughts of the day on it.

October82

This is why I have a feeling, and its just a feeling, this is might to be a multiyear project. Since they couldn't have the entire area down for 18-24 months. So additional pieces are going to be added to continue to "plus" up the entire area. I mean we already know that Jessie and Inside Out aren't coming until next year. And that Luxo is coming later this year. So why can't they add the theater here later in a sort of "phase two". Or why can't they address the Incredicoaster issues as time passes. And as the parks blog will portray it, its a continual project to improve the parks.

Unfortunately, you really can't evaluate them on what they might or what you hope they do in the future. What we have to evaluate is what they have done and what they are doing.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Unfortunately, you really can't evaluate them on what they might or what you hope they do in the future. What we have to evaluate is what they have done and what they are doing.

Ok, but we already know the project isn't completed as there is still more to come. My point was that just because they only announced three additional things doesn't mean they aren't going to do more.

lazyboy97o

Like the new games that were supposed to be continually added to Toy Story Midway Mania!?

October82

Ok, but we already know the project isn't completed as there is still more to come. My point was that just because they only announced three additional things doesn't mean they aren't going to do more.

There are lots of things that we don't know - I'm not sure we should be basing our judgement on them. We can hope that there's more (or less, depending on your perspective), but there's absolutely no reason to expect more.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No

I'd akin it to a new game. When the codebase is done, the best you can do from that point on is add things or tweak little stuff here and there. When your codebase is trash to begin with (say - Pixar Pier), you can add little things here and there but it's still going to be trash. One could argue that Pixar Pier was garbage but I thought there was a nice charm to it.

I would've preferred they started from scratch with the Pier but as you and I know, $hapek doesn't like to spend much money at DCA ;)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So because they added more to DCA in 2012, that made DCA in 2001 ok?
Did I say what was there was ok? In fact I don't believe I have stated my actual opinion on the project yet. My point is that additional changes can come in the future as we already know 3 additions are already coming. Now whether you want to believe that or not is up to you.

Like the new games that were supposed to be continually added to Toy Story Midway Mania!?
Whether they do it or not that functionality is still there to allow for updates. They've done it for Star Tours, at this point they just haven't seen a reason to do it for TSMM.

There are lots of things that we don't know - I'm not sure we should be basing our judgement on them. We can hope that there's more (or less, depending on your perspective), but there's absolutely no reason to expect more.

Who said I was expecting anything. I was just putting a thought out there that they can always continue to plus up the area. Unless you really think this is it for the next 25 years.

I'd akin it to a new game. When the codebase is done, the best you can do from that point on is add things or tweak little stuff here and there. When your codebase is trash to begin with (say - Pixar Pier), you can add little things here and there but it's still going to be trash. One could argue that Pixar Pier was garbage but I thought there was a nice charm to it.

I would've preferred they started from scratch with the Pier but as you and I know, $hapek doesn't like to spend much money at DCA ;)

Programming doesn't work that way. The codebase changes from revision to revision, v1 v2 v3, etc. Large sections are even rewritten if needed to make it function better.

SuddenStorm

I still don't understand the appeal of making something easily changeable or with multiple ride profiles- Mickey and the Magical Map, World of Color, Guardians, Toy Story Midway Mania, Star Tours.

Give me something that's of the highest quality- packed with enough detail that in order to take it all in, I have to ride or experience it again. Fantasmic! (the '92 version, not Fantasmic of color), The Haunted Mansion, Indiana Jones Adventure, and Pirates of the Caribbean did this well.

Indy's actually a good example of doing this right. The vehicle has loads of randomized possibilities- creating slight variations from ride to ride. Not to mention the three different highly themed chambers that used to be achieved almost entirely via practical effects. It still feels like a complete experience, that's basically the same, but still necessitates and rewards multiple ride throughs.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Not post-release, the less they mess with the main code the better.

The only time a codebase is frozen is when no further updates are being made. Until then the codebase is updated from release to release.

Old school cartridge games maybe were that way because there wasn't a way to update them once released. But that is no longer the case with games today. And it especially isn't the case with business software, which is where I've spent the last 25 years.

FerretAfros

A friend of mine worked on the original build for the DCA & WDW versions of the attraction. As part of the extensive pre-opening testing, they ran countless cycles through the ride with all of the variations possible, including fully-developed Halloween and Christmas games.

This would cost nothing to develop and would require no downtime to activate. Much like the additional drop sequences for DCA's TOT, they were programmed ahead of time and held back as a way to make an easily marketable future addition. Nearly a decade later, they've still never been activated for the public.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom