News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

lazyboy97o

Maybe I’m jumping into the lion’s den here, but I’m kind of amazed that people are accusing Incredicoaster of being a Six Flags-esque ride when California Screamin’ was for years the epitome of Six Flags in a Disney Park.
Six Flags differentiates itself with its character branding of rides. California Screamin’ wasn’t sold as special because of its name.

TROR

Absolutely trashy

DgfzxejXkAA45pG.jpg:large

Brad Bishop

If the land is good, it'll be able to stand on its own -- much like Cars Land. I can't see Radiator Springs ever becoming 'just something to do' nor can I imagine two huge next-gen, immersive e-tickets surrounded by an insanely detailed environment going that route either, Star Wars or not.

That's both a really good point and example. Cars Land works. They're not even a particularly good set of movies but that whole area works and I could easily see RSR being one of those rides that 50 years from now (if they can keep it going) people still love.

The "keep it going" isn't a dig at Disney and it just occurred to me: A lot of the attractions are fairly simple in technology or what they're using is upgradable (animatronics). Something like the Omnimover can keep going 50 years later because it's mechanically simple (yes, I realize there are a lot of moving parts - it's basically on or off, though). Pirates is: push a boat around with water (I think there's a small incline but they may do it with water jets).

Looking at Cars and Fast Track: I imagine there are hardware/software issues there which are custom built which, eventually, the people who worked on them / know how they were built will retire/die off. Then you end up with a "buy extra machines to keep it going even though we don't know how it works"-sort of situation. A rollercoaster? Ok, have some track blocks which is simple/understood, and lift the train to the top of the hill and let gravity take care of the rest. Apply brakes when needed. You can write software to do that. Test Track/Cars (or even the HP rides): You have specialized software written to do a lot of little things which have a lot of underlying requirements/dependencies and I bet we start seeing in the coming decades, newer rides die off quicker than older ones because they're harder to repair / aren't worth it. Realistically, they're not going to invest in new software for a complex ride 30 years down the line. It'd be cheaper and a bigger bang for the buck to just replace the attraction.

Probably worth it's own thread.

Phroobar

... Relistically, they're not going to invest in new software for a complex ride 30 years down the line. It'd be cheaper and a bigger bang for the buck to just replace the attraction.

Probably worth it's own thread.
Of course they will update the software for these rides over thirty years. I'm doing exactly that on software that is mission critical on 20 year old software that is barely documented because the components used are obsolete and Microsoft doesn't support these old APIs anymore in the new server is they upgraded too. Sometimes it's hard to get the business line to go to something else because that would cost money and training.

Nextinline

Why call DCA workers "cast members"? Every land (especially PP) is so devoid of place-making relative to Disneyland and other Disney parks that this notion doesn't really apply. The workers are not part of a bigger story that we are also apart of. Their uniforms don't help us immerse in a place and time. Is DCA really even a theme park?

dweezil78

I’m not sure why folks keep mentioning Toy Story Land in comparison to Pixar Pier. They are two vastly different concepts, ones that don’t make sense to compare. If Toy Story Land should be compared to anything, it would be Cars Land. That would be the equivalent.

Definitely comparisons to make... Don't forget that Toy Story Mania, arguably still the biggest draw of Toy Story Land, has been at DHS since 2008. The merely moved the entrance to another side of the building and then built a few new attractions and a few food stands around it. It's not all that different. Cars Land, on the other hand, was a far more flushed out vision with a brand-new enormous e-ticket and a vastly more ambitious land that took 3 years to make.

Rich T

Why call DCA workers "cast members"? Every land (especially PP) is so devoid of place-making relative to Disneyland and other Disney parks that this notion doesn't really apply. The workers are not part of a bigger story that we are also apart of. Their uniforms don't help us immerse in a place and time. Is DCA really even a theme park?
Cars Land is trying to secede from DCA and become its own park. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom