News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

HonorableMention

I’ll throw in my two cents about DCA as a whole.

I visited in Summer of 2013, which was basically the peak of DCA. There were no workwalls and no Guardians or Pixar Pier. This was on a trip where it was not my decision on which parks we visited, so we skipped DL. I honestly had a really good time and found things to fill the day with. It felt like a fully-fledged and fun park.

With Mission: Breakout and the Pier now, I think the park still looks enjoyable. It feels a little more Six-Flagsish and disjointed, but it isn’t as bad as something like DHS. It is frustrating though that all of the money and work put into making DCA better is being tossed away to become an IP dumping ground.

If Chapek and Co. keep this up DCA will become a flashier version of DHS with fewer meet and greets.

TROR

I’ll throw in my two cents about DCA as a whole.

I visited in Summer of 2013, which was basically the peak of DCA. There were no workwalls and no Guardians or Pixar Pier. This was on a trip where it was not my decision on which parks we visited, so we skipped DL. I honestly had a really good time and found things to fill the day with. It felt like a fully-fledged and fun park.

With Mission: Breakout and the Pier now, I think the park still looks enjoyable. It feels a little more Six-Flagsish and disjointed, but it isn’t as bad as something like DHS. It is frustrating though that all of the money and work put into making DCA better is being tossed away to become an IP dumping ground.

If Chapek and Co. keep this up DCA will become a flashier version of DHS with fewer meet and greets.
I'll take DHS over DCA any day. With attractions like the tram to- wait. Well they have the Great Movie- never mind. Well they do still have Tower of Terror which is more than we can say so that's good enough for me. Even though, arguably, it may be thematically out of place and it will be smaller, Galaxy's Edge will still be better than anything in DCA.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'll take DHS over DCA any day. With attractions like the tram to- wait. Well they have the Great Movie- never mind. Well they do still have Tower of Terror which is more than we can say so that's good enough for me. Even though, arguably, it may be thematically out of place and it will be smaller, Galaxy's Edge will still be better than anything in DCA.

DHS's SWL:GE:B:BSO may be minuscule compared to DL's, but, when it comes to 'out of place', DL wins!!*

*Not exactly sure how a completely walled off land as if it were its own separate theme park can be out of place anywhere when it's so disconnected...

Last edited:

Disney Lover Addie

B601B502-65E9-4957-A996-77421523AEF5.jpeg

180º

DHS's SWL:GE:B:BSO may be minuscule compared to DL's, but, when it comes to 'out of place', DL wins!!*

*Not exactly sure how a completely walled off land as if it were its own separate theme park can be out of place anywhere when it's so disconnected...
Okay, let me see if I can guess:

“Star Wars Land: Galaxy’s Edge: Batuu: But Smaller” Orlando

Assuming that’s what you meant, you forgot to add:

Lucasfilm Presents Disney Star Wars Land: Galaxy’s Edge: Batuu: But Smaller” Orlando – A Star Wars Story by Disney Parks Exclusive V.I.P. Experience Dessert Party Cabana Pal-A-Round

Which would bring our acronym up to
LPDSWL:GE:BSO–ASWSDPEVIPEDPCPAR, if you want to get technical.

Speaking of dessert parties, I wonder how disappointed the upchargeiers must be that World of Color isn’t around while Lamplight Lounge is the hot new thing.

VJ

Okay, let me see if I can guess:

“Star Wars Land: Galaxy’s Edge: Batuu: But Smaller” Orlando

Assuming that’s what you meant, you forgot to add:

Lucasfilm Presents Disney Star Wars Land: Galaxy’s Edge: Batuu: But Smaller” Orlando – A Star Wars Story by Disney Parks Exclusive V.I.P. Experience Dessert Party Cabana Pal-A-Round

Which would bring our acronym up to
LPDSWL:GE:BSO–ASWSDPEVIPEDPCPAR, if you want to get technical.

Speaking of dessert parties, I wonder how disappointed the upchargeiers must be that World of Color isn’t around while Lamplight Lounge is the hot new thing.
I dunno about you guys, but I'm still calling it Frontierland Expansion Project.

TP2000

The '59 addition of Matterhorn, Monorail, and Subs?

New Orleans Square? Themed food and shops with two amazing attractions?

I think only Matterhorn/Monorail/Subs in 1959 (plus an expanded Autopia and a new Motorboat Cruise at the same time) comes close to replicating the scope of Star Wars Land. Especially when you consider what the rest of Disneyland was like in 1958 compared to June, 1959 when all that new stuff opened all at once and physically and aesthetically altered the park in a major way.

And this giant Swiss mountain suddenly was looming over everything in Disneyland; Oregon Trail log forts, thatched African huts with elephant tusks, circa 1905 Midwest towns, Medieval fairs, an all-plastic future house, and tropical lagoons with atomic submarines. The Matterhorn's aesthetic and physical impact on Disneyland in '59 was like a giant neon Las Vegas sign compared to the tastefully tailored Star Wars Land backdrop to the Rivers of America.

The opening of New Orleans Square was spread out over three years and a month, and would have fans screaming Chapek's name in disgust if they tried to pull that off today. But when Walt did this, it was fine and no one says a word;

July, 1966 - New Orleans Square opens with a half dozen shops and two restaurants, but no ride. Talk about a money grab!
March, 1967 - Pirates of the Caribbean and Blue Bayou restaurant opens. Eight months late equals Epic Fail!
June, 1967 - Club 33 opens to fat cat sponsors and the 1%. A place for the filthy rich to get drunk and literally look down on us.
August, 1969 - Haunted Mansion opens and New Orleans Square is finally complete. Walt's a cheapskate!

Last edited:

TROR

It also consisted of more than just reskinned attractions. Yeesh, Pixar Pier is such a mess.

I know not every project can be New Orleans Square, but no project should be what Pixar Pier is. Such a shame.
If they opened New Orleans Square and the only attraction was a reskin of the train station but it didn't open for six months after New Orleans Square opened I would definitely say that's unacceptable. Had Pixar Pier been announced and, as part of the announcement, Chapek said they were building a new Coco boat ride in the land as well as Monsters Inc. Ride and Go Seek but neither would be open until 2020 and 2021 respectively, I think people would be accepting of that. But taking over a year to reskin a carousel? Seriously just stupid.

TROR

So you’re not excited about the upcoming rethemed Critter Carrousel and Flicks Flyers? Because the Pier area needs more carnival rides.
Only classic carnival ride I would not hate to see in Paradise Pier (yes, Paradise, because this wouldn't make sense in Pixar Pier) would be a classic pirate ship that rocks back and forth themed to the Jolly Roger from Peter Pan.

SuddenStorm

Only classic carnival ride I would not hate to see in Paradise Pier (yes, Paradise, because this wouldn't make sense in Pixar Pier) would be a classic pirate ship that rocks back and forth themed to the Jolly Roger from Peter Pan.

Like the Buccaneer at SFMM?

PICT0155%20(Medium).JPG

If we're complaining that the Pier is Six Flags quality now, just imagine if they had added a ride that's at Six Flags. We'd be going nuts! :)

That said, I do agree that a ride like this based off Pan would be amazing. Imagine if the vehicle was a recreation of the Chicken of the Sea ship? That'd be amazing.

BrianLo

Ah DHS, of course things fit into place when this is what you are designing.

closeup-big-jigsaw-puzzle-pieces-isolated-white-64697966.jpg

I know people are convinced everything fits better at DHS, even projects custom designed for other parks!

That's of course something for another day, I don't think the Floridians have dealt with how much smaller it is yet. :D

ThemeParkTraveller

That's of course something for another day, I don't think the Floridians have dealt with how much smaller it is yet. :D

I've been a bit out of the loop with regards to the latest SW:GE updates from insiders, but I thought both lands were supposed to be the same size (14 acres)? I saw the video of the DL construction plot overlaid on DHS and did not notice a major size difference. Just some subtle changes in configuration (DL's appears to be slightly narrower and longer around Battle Escape).

BrianLo

I've been a bit out of the loop with regards to the latest SW:GE updates from insiders, but I thought both lands were supposed to be the same size (14 acres)? I saw the video of the DL construction plot overlaid on DHS and did not notice a major size difference. Just some subtle changes in configuration (DL's appears to be slightly narrower and longer around Battle Escape).

Yes, it's a long running gag. The entry ways are longer for DL most prominently on the Battle escape end, where the profile is reconfigured. Whereas DHS berm space, while actually giving a similar acreage, isn't going to be physically utilized yet and will be filled up to the same narrow profile.

Thereby giving DL a smidgen more opening day walking space. It was/is a point of much contention. Like any good joke 5% comes off every time it is retold.

Although truth be told both lands are smaller than 14 acres. I think that number accounted for backstage and expansion space.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

its-not-the-size-mate-its-how-you-use-it.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom