News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

dweezil78

:hilarious:

Nope, haven't seen the trailers nor do I care. I'm starting to feel the same way about Star Wars and Marvel too. Not that they aren't good, I just feel like they've all been tired. I casually enjoy stuff like this but not when I'm force fed every year.

I don't think most people share your sentiment. We live in a culture where most people happily binge 10+ hours of a single show over a weekend or less. A movie, on the otherhand, is typically 1.5-2.5 hours. That's nothing. It's a brief escape from a day at best. When spaced out over months, or in some cases a year or more, it's pretty hard to consider that overkill -- especially when you consider how many other pieces of entertainment/content/messaging are vying for your attention every second of the day in between those releases to divert your attention.

Rich T

I don't think most people share your sentiment. We live in a culture where most people happily binge 10+ hours of a single show over a weekend or less. A movie, on the otherhand, is typically 1.5-2.5 hours. That's nothing. It's a brief escape from a day at best. When spaced out over months, or in some cases a year or more, it's pretty hard to consider that overkill -- especially when you consider how many other pieces of entertainment/content/messaging are vying for your attention every second of the day in between those releases to divert your attention.
No, I agree that Disney's saturating the market, and that at some point more and more people are going to feel bored as it all becomes less special and more commonplace. I'm a Pixar fan, I like The Incredibles, but I have zero interest in I2. I've long burnt-out on Star Wars and Marvel. I know I'm not Disney's "typical" consumer (and I rarely "binge-watch" anything. Weekends are precious and life is short. :D). But I do think people like me are the canaries in the coal mine. Movie westerns and musicals used to be huge, too.

dweezil78

No, I agree that Disney's saturating the market, and that at some point more and more people are going to feel bored as it all becomes less special and more commonplace. I'm a Pixar fan, I like The Incredibles, but I have zero interest in I2. I've long burnt-out on Star Wars and Marvel. I know I'm not Disney's "typical" consumer (and I rarely "binge-watch" anything. Weekends are precious and life is short. :D). But I do think people like me are the canaries in the coal mine. Movie westerns and musicals used to be huge, too.

I don't disagree that things feel less special when they're more commonplace, but ultimately I think the bottom line is that when you generate a quality product, you generally will see quality returns and continued success with your audience. If the quality of the product itself starts to deteriorate, that's when things start to unravel.

Marvel has been crushing it because they overall set a very high bar for the quality of their product. Star Wars, IMO, is still trying to find their footing with their new post-Lucas leadership. Pixar used to be there, and can get there again, but need to capture the spirit of what made the company so successful in the early days with more unique, original content ('Coco' did that excellently I thought) and less sequels. That said, everyone has been begging Brad Bird to make an Incredibles 2 since the first one came out, so I can't fault them for finally doing one. Hopefully it's actually good and not just a character switcheroo ala Dory.

Rich T

I don't disagree that things feel less special when they're more commonplace, but ultimately I think the bottom line is that when you generate a quality product, you generally will see quality returns and continued success with your audience. If the quality of the product itself starts to deteriorate, that's when things start to unravel.

Marvel has been crushing it because they overall set a very high bar for the quality of their product. Star Wars, IMO, is still trying to find their footing with their new post-Lucas leadership. Pixar used to be there, and can get there again, but need to capture the spirit of what made the company so successful in the early days with more unique, original content ('Coco' did that excellently I thought) and less sequels. That said, everyone has been begging Brad Bird to make an Incredibles 2 since the first one came out, so I can't fault them for finally doing one. Hopefully it's actually good and not just a character switcheroo ala Dory.
I think Incredibles 2 was the price Brad Bird had to pay for Tomorrowland. :D I hope it's a good film because he's a terrific director, but so far the story details revealed do nothing to get me interested. And, yeah, I'd vote Dory as Pixar's second most disappointing film, just behind Good Dinosaur.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No

I do think you have some good points. I have extremely high standards, which explains my love for Disney parks. I don't want to see them turn into EA games.

Think about that for a sec.
EA releases the same content year after year, with greedy restrictions on some of the best game development studios, which ends up with the same results / garbage. It sort of works for them, but to someone like me it's a cash grab. Rockstar Games however, they've delayed RDR2 twice or three times now because they CARE to put in the quality, they care to make a great game and fiercely protect their property / reputation. And that company has the highest grossing game of all time (GTA V). How does that make them look as a publisher? The answer is amazing.

Remember the intent to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment?

So maybe these things aren't tired to you, maybe not to millions of others, but to me they are. Of course there's always an exception, but Marvel and Star Wars isn't one of them.

Last edited:

TragicMike

I have extremely high standards, which explains my love for Disney parks. I don't want to see them turn into EA games.

Think about that for a sec. (if you're not a gamer skip this paragraph)
EA releases the same content year after year, with greedy restrictions on some of the best game devlopement studios, which ends up with the same results / garbage. It sort of works for them, but to someone like me it's a cash grab. Rockstar Games however, they've delayed RDR2 twice or three times now because they CARE to put in the quality, they care to make a great game and fiercely protect their property / reputation. And that company has the highest grossing game of all time (GTA V). How does that make them look as a publisher? The answer is amazing.

Ultimately, i'm saying things get tired. Maybe not to you, maybe not to millions of others, but to me they do. Of course there's always an exception, but this isn't one of them.
Poor analogy. Marvel films are the golden standard for cinematic universes and most of their movies are universally loved. Same for Pixar for the most part. If you were talking about Despicable Me or Minions 2 then sure but it doesn't make any sense with your apology.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Poor analogy. Marvel films are the golden standard for cinematic universes and most of their movies are universally loved. Same for Pixar for the most part. If you were talking about Despicable Me or Minions 2 then sure but it doesn't make any sense with your apology.

My apology? What apology?

Okay, let's talk about Despicable Me. It's tired. Happy? What makes you think Marvel isn't tired to me? I'm so sorry i'm not bowing to every single movie and spending my hard earned cash on seeing the same things. It's not a "poor analogy" because you disagree, the world doesn't revolve around you.

dweezil78

Think about that for a sec.
EA releases the same content year after year, with greedy restrictions on some of the best game development studios, which ends up with the same results / garbage. It sort of works for them, but to someone like me it's a cash grab. Rockstar Games however, they've delayed RDR2 twice or three times now because they CARE to put in the quality, they care to make a great game and fiercely protect their property / reputation. And that company has the highest grossing game of all time (GTA V). How does that make them look as a publisher? The answer is amazing.

Yeah, sorry, bad analogy. Whether or not you like the characters/stories, Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, etc, are not simply pushing the same title every year with just a few changes and expecting you to pay for it. Marvel, in particular, has been able to carve out an entire genre with its own sub-genres for Superhero movies and continue to create fandom around smaller characters only a select few cared about before.

And not to knock Rockstar, but despite their strong love of quality content (which I applaud them for), they have seemingly decided they are now only going to work two titles for some reason. And that's after milking one of those titles for more than half a decade (GTA 5 came out in 2013!) with a whole ton of cash grabs between multiple platform releases and online DLC.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Yeah, sorry, bad analogy. Whether or not you like the characters/stories, Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar, etc, 1. are not simply pushing the same title every year with just a few changes and expecting you to pay for it. 2.Marvel, in particular, has been able to carve out an entire genre with its own sub-genres for Superhero movies and continue to create fandom around smaller characters only a select few cared about before.

And not to knock Rockstar, but despite their strong love of quality content (which I applaud them for), they have seemingly decided they are now only going to work two titles for some reason. 3. And that's after milking one of those titles for more than half a decade (GTA 5 came out in 2013!) with a whole ton of cash grabs between multiple platform releases and online DLC.

1. yeahhhh... they pretty much are...
2. All the same to me, as is DC, as is Minions to Despicable me, as is JW to JP. Tiring doesn't mean people still don't enjoy them.
3. Yes, 2013.. and it's still the highest grossing game of all time. 5 years man and it's still raking in the $$$ Granted movies and games are different, there's surely a medium there somewhere. GTA gets a majority of income from Shark Cards (in-game currency in exchange for real currency) but it's not in your face. The game doesn't beg you to buy them. And I find with a proper amount of grinding, it really isn't that hard to make enough money for the new content (Which is.. ehem.. FREE)

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Okay Incredibles 2 is not comparable to the discussion on franchise over saturation. We’ve been waiting for this sequel for... 14 years? I can’t wait.

Meanwhile Incredicoaster and Incredicookies and Pixar Fest with Incredibles, all coinciding with the release of the movie.

But seriously, from the bottom of my heart I hope you enjoy it. I'm not arguing to persuade others. I'm standing for my opinion.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So maybe these things aren't tired to you, maybe not to millions of others, but to me they are. Of course there's always an exception, but Marvel and Star Wars isn't one of them.

That's the thing, its all very personal based on personal taste. Everyone has their own opinion on what they like. And with today's world of content overload everyone has their choice of what to consume.

People have been asking for years now if there is super hero fatigue for US consumers. With both Marvel films this year making over $600 Million, it appears at least for now the answer is no. Now Ant Man and Wasp isn't likely going to make $600 Million, but I'm betting it'll make at least $200.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
That's the thing, its all very personal based on personal taste. Everyone has their own opinion on what they like. And with today's world of content overload everyone has their choice of what to consume.

People have been asking for years now if there is super hero fatigue for US consumers. With both Marvel films this year making over $600 Million, it appears at least for now the answer is no. Now Ant Man and Wasp isn't likely going to make $600 Million, but I'm betting it'll make at least $200.

Thank you, Bruh. This times 1,000,000. Apparently i'm not allowed to say I think Marvel and Star Wars is tiring.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Of course you're entitled to say it. But if you're going to try and claim that it's how the world feels or is in the same league as the trash EA is peddling, I'm totally entitled to call you out for it! :)

lol - I didn't say nor claim that's how the world feels. I know the numbers and wild box office success.

The EA thing might've been a bit exaggerated, no one likes EA :hilarious:

Rich T

Disney's Marvel films are extremely well made for superhero fantasies. But if these overblown, silly spectacles are the new "Golden Standard" in the cinematic universe... The human race is basically beyond hope.

TragicMike

My apology? What apology?

Okay, let's talk about Despicable Me. It's tired. Happy? What makes you think Marvel isn't tired to me? I'm so sorry i'm not bowing to every single movie and spending my hard earned cash on seeing the same things. It's not a "poor analogy" because you disagree, the world doesn't revolve around you.
Autocorrect.

Based off your analogy, Marvel is churning out garbage every year like EA is. In fact, I'd argue Marvel is the argument against your analogy since it's releasing blockbuster hits (commercially and critically) every year. Here, let's bring it back to your analogy. What if Rockstar was putting out a great Red Dead Redemption game every two years?

TROR

Disney's Marvel films are extremely well made for superhero fantasies. But if these overblown, silly spectacles are the new "Golden Standard" in the cinematic universe... The human race is basically beyond hope.
They're not golden standards for movies, but as far as cinematic universes go, sure. Every other cinematic universe, whether DCEU or the Dark Universe, is complete garbage.

TragicMike

Considering the number of movie franchises that have desperately tried to recreate the MCU (not just DC) I'd say yes.

We're talking about superhero movies on a forum dedicated to Disney theme parks. You can quit the hyperbole.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom