News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It doesn't happen overnight, but all this can indeed contribute to the gradual diminishing of Pixar Studios' image as a high-quality production house. A while back, we got Cars Land. That was an unveiling that spoke volumes about Disney's respect for Pixar. Now we get one of the worst, most completely B.S. makeovers Disney's ever pulled. They are saying now that Pixar films are Carny material.

Imagine if Apple or Porsche were represented in a park by junk like this. It'd be funny as heck, but it sure wouldn't be good for the brands in the long run.

Granted, this doesn't cause Pixar's rep as much harm as the actual films "Good Dinosaur" and "Finding Dory"...

I think you put too much faith in the public caring about things like this. The psychology of the consumer is not as cut and dry as you make it seem. Brand recognition goes a long way with consumers. You see carny, others may see their favorite characters represented in the parks in a new way. Plus guests give Disney/Pixar the benefit of the doubt overall. So even if Pixar Pier isn't to their liking, it won't turn them off to Disney and Pixar as a whole.

So how about we agree to say, this start to cheapen the Pixar brand for you.

Also as some have mentioned, this project was to get the area refreshed and breath some life into it while a budget was available, basically a Pier 2.0 with Pixar. It obviously overall isn't to your liking, but not every project is going to be.

Rich T

I think you put too much faith in the public caring about things like this. The psychology of the consumer is not as cut and dry as you make it seem. Brand recognition goes a long way with consumers. You see carny, others may see their favorite characters represented in the parks in a new way. Plus guests give Disney/Pixar the benefit of the doubt overall. So even if Pixar Pier isn't to their liking, it won't turn them off to Disney and Pixar as a whole.

So how about we agree to say, this start to cheapen the Pixar brand for you.

Also as some have mentioned, this project was to get the area refreshed and breath some life into it while a budget was available, basically a Pier 2.0 with Pixar. It obviously overall isn't to your liking, but not every project is going to be.
Thank you for your reasonable and optimistic reply. I'm done frothing for now (mostly). For me, personally, there is so much about this that is so tone-deaf to what the films are about that it really irks me (can you tell? :D). They are one step away from "Dug's Dumps" brownies and a "Toss Woody into the Incinerator" game booth. BUT... I can see this all working if they spend enough on live entertainment to make it a lively, energetic gathering place. I think it will indeed provide fun. I just think that--with no bigger budget--they could easily have done this with more class and heart. Someone at Imagineering was given the wrong project to work on.

What if Lucasfilms or Marvel were the brands getting the Pixar Pier treatment as their park representation? How would that go over?

Last edited:

Ismael Flores

The one thing I don’t understand is why the two spinner ride for this new Pixar’s pier are going to take so long to open.

I could see the reasoning behind the Inside out one. That helix probably needs work because right now it has three circular platforms and most likely still has the mechanics of maliboomer underneath.

The carousel looks mostly like a paint job and new character vehicles. Is the manufacturing process for those new animals that long?

I’m still hoping that they are rethinking the structure and we get more than new paint.

Also still hoping the inside out spinner gets rethought and They go with the original idea of a slow moving multi level ride

Phroobar

The one thing I don’t understand is why the two spinner ride for this new Pixar’s pier are going to take so long to open.

I could see the reasoning behind the Inside out one. That helix probably needs work because right now it has three circular platforms and most likely still has the mechanics of maliboomer underneath.

The carousel looks mostly like a paint job and new character vehicles. Is the manufacturing process for those new animals that long?

I’m still hoping that they are rethinking the structure and we get more than new paint.

Also still hoping the inside out spinner gets rethought and They go with the original idea of a slow moving multi level ride
The carousel could have easily been a Finding Nemo/Dory carousel with just a name change.

Rich T

DCA will now have THREE very similar spinner rides all together on one side of the park, all involving suspended gondolas/seats going in a circle.
♪One little spark of inspiration...
is at the heart of all crea... *SOB*

Hatbox Ghostbuster

The new paint takes a longer time to dry.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Thank you for you reasonable and optimistic reply. I'm done frothing for now. For me, personally, there is so much about this that is so tone-deaf to what the films are about that it really irks me (can you tell? :D). They are one step away from "Dug's Dumps" brownies and a "Toss Woody into the Incinerator" game booth. BUT... I can see this all working if they spend enough on live entertainment to make it a lively, energetic gathering place. I think it will indeed provide fun. I just think that--with no bigger budget--they could easily have done this with more class and heart. Someone at Imagineering was given the wrong project to work on.

What if Lucasfilms or Marvel were the brands getting the Pixar Pier treatment as their park representation? How would that go over?

But some have considered GotG:MB the same treatment. And other than some purists and fans lamenting the loss of ToT, overall its gone over fine.

I think part of the problem, unlike with GotG:MB and Marvel Land, we don't know what the future plans are. If Disney were to lay out a 10 year plan where Pixar Pier was part of a larger project it probably wouldn't be given as harsh criticism as some have given it.

Ismael Flores

You know what has me concerned about this Pixar Pier project?

The fact that there is only one month left for the opening and the coaster paint still looks incomplete.

Scaffolding is coming down and we see them painting the gold sun elements but have they painted the coaster?

The whole western side of the coaster still has dozens of broken or missing lights around the helix and the paint looks nasty. I’m still
Hoping that because of time restraints that they will fix all that when they work on the inside out section.

If not it would be just as bad as what knotts did. They had excelerator sit closed for a whole year and reopened it in time for the launch of their new coaster but they never thought of retouching the paint. Instead of a bright red it looks like a washed out pink

Last edited:

Hatbox Ghostbuster

But some have considered GotG:MB the same treatment. And other than some purists and fans lamenting the loss of ToT, overall its gone over fine.

I think part of the problem, unlike with GotG:MB and Marvel Land, we don't know what the future plans are. If Disney were to lay out a 10 year plan where Pixar Pier was part of a larger project it probably wouldn't be given as harsh criticism as some have given it.
Hopefully that larger project is "demolition" and "start from scratch".

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Hopefully that larger project is "demolition" and "start from scratch".

Could be, but then again the same was said about DCA 1.0. What I can see them doing is complete out the rest of the east side of the park with Pixar. Maybe a Coco attraction. Maybe bring Ratatouille over. After all they are building it right now for WDW, so why not build two and install the second one in DCA later.

As I've said in this thread before, the way it looks to me is they are splitting the DLR into two distinct parks. Classic Disney/Lucas in DL and Pixar/Marvel in DCA. As time goes on and new projects get announced we'll see if I'm correct and how it plays out.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Could be, but then again the same was said about DCA 1.0. What I can see them doing is complete out the rest of the east side of the park with Pixar. Maybe a Coco attraction. Maybe bring Ratatouille over. After all they are building it right now for WDW, so why not build two and install the second one in DCA later.

As I've said in this thread before, the way it looks to me is they are splitting the DLR into two distinct parks. Classic Disney/Lucas in DL and Pixar/Marvel in DCA. As time goes on and new projects get announced we'll see if I'm correct and how it plays out.
Ehhhh! BORING. No interest in Rat. Bring over Mystic Manor instead. Or something with the Shanghai Pirates tech.

Also, disagree on your distinct park layout...It should be Classic Disney in DL and Pixar/Marvel/Lucas in Iger's Toychest of a park. Actually NO, it shouldn't be that way either. It should have been Classic Disney in DL and IP-free WestCOT across the esplanade. Then IP dumping ground for third gate.

Phroobar

DCA will now have THREE very similar spinner rides all together on one side of the park, all involving suspended gondolas/seats going in a circle.
♪One little spark of inspiration...
is at the heart of all crea... *SOB*
The Magic Kingdom has three spinner rides in one land. Two identical Dumbos and a carousel. At least DCA's are different.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Pass on that.

Also, it shouldn't be that way...It should be Classic Disney in DL and Pixar/Marvel/Lucas in Iger's Toychest of a park. Actually NO, it shouldn't be that way either. It should have been Classic Disney in DL and IP-free WestCOT across the esplanade. Then IP dumping ground for third gate.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but those ships sailed long ago before Pixar Pier was even a thing.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Ehhhh! BORING. No interest in Rat. Bring over Mystic Manor instead. Or something with the Shanghai Pirates tech.

While Mystic Manor would be cool, having two Haunted Mansion style attractions wouldn't be something they'd likely do. Now using the same LPS ride system with a different theme/story, absolutely. Which is basically what Ratatouille is, LPS ride system with a different theme/story.

Rich T

While Mystic Manor would be cool, having two Haunted Mansion style attractions wouldn't be something they'd likely do. Now using the same LPS ride system with a different theme/story, absolutely. Which is basically what Ratatouille is, LPS ride system with a different theme/story.
I think if they swapped out the gags in MM that are too similar to Mansion (particularly the Medusa Painting) and replace them with more exotic fantasy artifacts, the two attractions could co-exist. But, as others have pointed out, Disney won't build any non-IP attractions now, so it's a moot point anyway. Unless Disney Animation produces a hit movie based on Mystic Manor. Iger, think of all the plush Albert merchandise sales!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom