News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

TROR

Okay, the only thing I don't like about the dwarfs is that creepy lit-up-from-within look the current technology gives that effect. They look like really well-animated night-lights. It looks exactly like what it is; a projection. (I still think that--overall--this is an amazing show scene.)

I do, however, think this is a problem that could be solved in the future. Neutralize that ghostly there's-a-projector-in-my-head element and it would be just about perfect.
This is a really dumb nitpick, but I hate the CG animated look of them. The Seven Dwarfs are traditional hand drawn animated and the figures should reflect that.

dweezil78

This is a really dumb nitpick, but I hate the CG animated look of them. The Seven Dwarfs are traditional hand drawn animated and the figures should reflect that.

Not quite sure what you're looking for... They are 3D figures, even the ones in the old Disneyland dark ride are. Do you think these look hand drawn?
dwarfs.png

TROR

Not quite sure what you're looking for... They are 3D figures, even the ones in the old Disneyland dark ride are. Do you think these look hand drawn?
View attachment 267785

Yeah. Hand drawn animation and CG animation have very different textures, colors, and overall looks. While obviously that's not literally hand drawn, it's also not animation in the traditional sense which the ones on the mine train are.

dweezil78

Yeah. Hand drawn animation and CG animation have very different textures, colors, and overall looks. While obviously that's not literally hand drawn, it's also not animation in the traditional sense which the ones on the mine train are.

I see.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

You do realize that only a very small portion of that is hand drawn. Basically what they do is the initial sketch as hand drawn and then transfer that over to the computer to make all the movements. So all the actual animation is done via computer.

Disney Analyst

Check out Dash getting lifted into one of the coaster tunnels.

It looks like theirs going to be projections on this static figure, otherwise I would imagine they would have painted it already.

I am amazed that it took us all almost a month to find that!!

Would they haul that in first then skin him after? A lot of the figures just have their finished skin placed over? And those tubes in the back seem clear, like for hydraulic fluid or air?

SuddenStorm

When these projection effects go wrong, they look absolutely terrible. Seems to happen frequently enough with the Hatbox Ghost where they just project a static face onto him, but it looks completely awful.

I still think it's a shame they didn't put the Hatbox Ghost in the exact right spot, using technology, or a figure, that at least looks like the original hatbox ghost.

There's something magical about practical effects that you know haven't been done with a computer- The ballroom scene would be far less charming if they just used today's projection mapping technology on it. On a ride like Haunted Mansion, a little bit of "how did they do that" is essential for the experience, and with the advent of projection mapping, I worry Disney is going to move away from practical effects and illusions more than they already have.

There's a reason Constance and the Hatbox Ghost really stand out from the rest of the ride.

Hattieboxghost110

I still think it's a shame they didn't put the Hatbox Ghost in the exact right spot, using technology, or a figure, that at least looks like the original hatbox ghost.

There's something magical about practical effects that you know haven't been done with a computer- The ballroom scene would be far less charming if they just used today's projection mapping technology on it. On a ride like Haunted Mansion, a little bit of "how did they do that" is essential for the experience, and with the advent of projection mapping, I worry Disney is going to move away from practical effects and illusions more than they already have.

There's a reason Constance and the Hatbox Ghost really stand out from the rest of the ride.

What do you think Mickeyblu? A possible future rising star to the Hall of Blame?

dweezil78

There really aren't and haven't been a ton of attractions that use illusions like Haunted Mansion do -- I think they are just something that lend itself well to a haunted style attraction. That said, there are still great tricks used by Imagineering like the way they make you feel like you're going in reverse on Indy for example. Both SWL attractions are going to be utilizing some pretty nifty trickery as well it seems w/ MF's turntables as well as some similar type of stuff going on during the Battle Escape queue. The best tricks are the one we don't even realize occur.

SuddenStorm

That said, there are still great tricks used by Imagineering like the way they make you feel like you're going in reverse on Indy for example. Both SWL attractions are going to be utilizing some pretty nifty trickery as well it seems w/ MF's turntables as well as some similar type of stuff going on during the Battle Escape queue. The best tricks are the one we don't even realize occur.

Indy is another great example of excellent practical effects- that are 23 years old. Hardly a representation of today's imagineering. Since, Disney has replaced one major practical effect- the moving doors- with projectors, and let a number of other practical effects fall into disrepair or be abandoned (ice machine, the queue effects).

They didn't add practical effects to the Pan and Alice- they added projectors.

I think today's Imagineers are still trying to figure out what projection mapping is good for, and what it isn't- as well as how to integrate it with practical effects in a way that's convincing and enhances the overall experience. I don't like the "One amazing animatronic to anchor loads of screens" approach found in Avatar and Mission Breakout.

The best example of today's imagineering in Disneyland park is the Matterhorn update- They enhanced the lift hill with neat projection technology- and replaced the old animatronics with new ones. They didn't replace practical effects with digital- they added to the practical effects with digital.

Worldwide, Shanghai's attractions were spectacular.

It will be interesting to see how Star Wars Land blends practical and digital effects, I'm cautiously optimistic but I don't have as much faith in today's Imagineers as many others do. I'm already disappointed that one ride is a screen based simulator, even if it will be extremely well done.

TROR

It will be interesting to see how Star Wars Land blends practical and digital effects, I'm cautiously optimistic but I don't have as much faith in today's Imagineers as many others do.
Just from the rumblings I've heard, I have high hopes for Battle Escape. But I'm with you, WDI has really been dropping the ball over the last 10 years. I've always blamed it on management being cheap and whatnot, but I look at something like the Nemo simulator at Tokyo Disney Sea and I realize just how creatively bankrupt WDI has become. Yes, we do have a few nice attractions like Mystic Manor, but even that feels so empty compared to the classic Haunted Mansion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom