News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Disney Irish

Premium Member
N'avi Shaman is the future of AA's. Projection mapping on figures is a cheap trick that never looks half as good.

Except when you're rolling by at 40-60 MPH a full AA like the Shaman is a waste. Projection mapping will work here with minimal movement of the body and/or head.

Additionally as has been stated there are plenty of examples of good uses of projection mapping. I will even throw the Dwarfs from Mine Train in there as well. Projection mapping works best on animated characters verses on humanoid characters.

Rich T

It would make sense that the figure would be at the bottom of the tunnel and then we see a projection along side us all the way up the tunnel.
...so all the riders can look to the side... Is this the fake-chain-lift tunnel? Please tell me it's not the launch tube! :D

Rich T

What about the Seven Dwarfs from WDW?

Okay, the only thing I don't like about the dwarfs is that creepy lit-up-from-within look the current technology gives that effect. They look like really well-animated night-lights. It looks exactly like what it is; a projection. (I still think that--overall--this is an amazing show scene.)

I do, however, think this is a problem that could be solved in the future. Neutralize that ghostly there's-a-projector-in-my-head element and it would be just about perfect.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I’m hoping the merch is better than Pirates’ 50th! Man was that bad. I hope they get rid of her! Even if they replace it with the old one that would be a huge upgrade. She’s also terribly placed right before the impressive hat box ghost.
Well, just keep an eye out...she might surprise you :)

And yes, improved merch is a must. I am glad that the 50th anniversary and D23 will be so close together.

brb1006

Okay, the only thing I don't like about the dwarfs is that creepy lit-up-from-within look the current technology gives that effect. They look like really well-animated night-lights. It looks exactly like what it is; a projection. (I still think that--overall--this is an amazing show scene.)

I do, however, think this is a problem that could be solved in the future. Neutralize that ghostly there's-a-projector-in-my-head element and it would be just about perfect.
The best use of face projection is the Lumiere AA at Enchanted Tales With Belle Walt Disney World.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

That is really just a lighting issue. If they dimmed it by like 10-15% I'm sure it would be just fine.

nevol

pixar-pier-disney-california-adventure-concept-art.jpg
One thing that I noticed and am happy about, if it comes to fruition, is that the airplane toilet water-tinted windows on Ariel's Grotto are gone. New trim on that facade and awnings. I didn't want to read too much into this before, but there is a blue window flush with that wall today that would be visible in this concept art if it was to remain. The lower level is also getting enclosed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom