News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

FigmentForver96

I think we can comfortably assume that an indoor highly-themed roller coaster based on a Marvel comic and a massively successful film series will be more popular 20 years from now than Universe of Energy was 20 years after it opened. For comparison the last Indiana Jones film was released 20 years ago this year, and as far as I can tell the Indiana Jones rides at DL, DLP, and TDS are as popular as ever.
I said nothing about the ride being "fun". I said the IP wont be popular and I have little faith Guardians will be the huge hit it is today 20 years from now. And even if it is, still doesn't mean there were ways Energy couldn't have been made fun and relevant. Idk I guess those of us who actually wish to be inspired and want more than IP soup are a dying breed.

TROR

I think we can comfortably assume that an indoor highly-themed roller coaster based on a Marvel comic and a massively successful film series will be more popular 20 years from now than Universe of Energy was 20 years after it opened. For comparison the last Indiana Jones film was released 20 years ago this year, and as far as I can tell the Indiana Jones rides at DL, DLP, and TDS are as popular as ever.
The last Indiana Jones film was released 10 years ago.;) Don't worry, I forget it exists, too.

D

Deleted member 107043

I said nothing about the ride being "fun".

Nor did I.

Idk I guess those of us who actually wish to be inspired and want more than IP soup are a dying breed.

Not really. I mean I'd prefer it to be the way it was, but given how insanely popular this stuff is there is zero chance Disney will change direction, at least not anytime soon, so what other choice do fans have but to accept the status quo? I'm not saying everyone needs to be a cheerleader, but it seems kind of useless to keep complaining about it.

D

Deleted member 107043

The last Indiana Jones film was released 10 years ago.;) Don't worry, I forget it exists, too.

You're right. Point still stands though. It's an old film franchise and the attractions remain popular.

Practical Pig

Not really. I mean I'd prefer it to be the way it was, but given how insanely popular this stuff is there is zero chance Disney will change direction, at least not anytime soon, so what other choice do fans have but to accept the status quo? I'm not saying everyone needs to be a cheerleader, but it seems kind of useless to keep complaining about it.

Agreed. But really, what else is the internet mostly used for?

TROR

You're right. Point still stands though. It's an old film franchise and the attractions remain popular.
Yes, but why does the franchise remain popular? I have trouble finding pop culture reference "jokes" and irreverent humor in Indiana Jones. What I find in Indiana Jones is a character every man and boy can project themselves onto. I mean, who doesn't want to be suave ladies man and adventurer Indiana Jones? Do I want to be Star Lord though? Scumbag who always gets himself into trouble and hangs out with other scumbags? No thanks.

And I think we can agree, Indiana Jones Adventure is a phenomenal attraction that would be popular without the Indiana Jones name. Also, this goes back to an earlier point, Indiana Jones wasn't a Disney property when the attraction was made. The reason the franchise was chosen wasn't to promote any movies, it was chosen because it fits very well into the parks and there was a story to be told. There's nothing cynical there like there is with cheap overlays like Mission Breakout that are rushed to promote the summer's newest blockbuster that's already been forgotten about. Do you see people talking about how great Guardians 2 was? No you don't, because there aren't any.

D

Deleted member 107043

Like people talk about the Temple of Doom? Sorry, the whole franchise is forgettable.

And the point is that good attractions based on film franchises seem to have longer legs than good attractions that don't. UoE was incredible, at least when it opened, but it's been proven that very few go to a theme park to learn about the creation of fossil fuels from an energy company.

D

Deleted member 107043

The reason the franchise was chosen wasn't to promote any movies, it was chosen because it fits very well into the parks and there was a story to be told.

Actually I think it was mostly because Eisner had been President and CEO of Paramount before he came to Disney.

DanielBB8

And the point is that good attractions based on film franchises seem to have longer legs than good attractions that don't. UoE was incredible, at least when it opened, but it's been proven that very few go to a theme park to learn about the creation of fossil fuels from an energy company.
In a nutshell, very true. So the argument that Guardians would fail to last is incorrect. Film franchises are more likely to last based on the first film. The sequels don’t matter. This is proven many times over especially with the ghastly The Last Jedi.

dweezil78

There's nothing cynical there like there is with cheap overlays like Mission Breakout that are rushed to promote the summer's newest blockbuster that's already been forgotten about. Do you see people talking about how great Guardians 2 was? No you don't, because there aren't any.

Sorry, but your conspiracy theory is flawed. Mission breakout didn't open until May 27th -- Guardians 2 opened on May 5th. The film industry is one that lives and dies on opening weekend box office. MB opened during its FOURTH weekend in the box office, any promotional value at that point is worthless.

No one's talking about the movie now because it's been nearly a year, but it killed at box office (4th highest film of 2017) and scored high both critically and with audiences.

Is it anywhere on the same level of Indy? No, not even close. But you could definitely find better reasons for bashing it!

dweezil78

UoE was incredible, at least when it opened, but it's been proven that very few go to a theme park to learn about the creation of fossil fuels from an energy company.

I don't think I'm in the minority here, but I thought UoE always always a giant steaming pile of an attraction -- either version. As a kid who worshipped EPCOT Center I stayed away from UoE like the plague. Giving up 45 minutes of park time to one attraction was something I was never willing to do, especially one as boring and dull as that one. 5 minutes of cool dino AAs was nowhere near worth the 40 minutes of feeling like you were sitting in an extra large, extra boring science class video, only with no option to sneak out and use the bathroom!!

TROR

Sorry, but your conspiracy theory is flawed. Mission breakout didn't open until May 27th -- Guardians 2 opened on May 5th. The film industry is one that lives and dies on opening weekend box office. MB opened during its FOURTH weekend in the box office, any promotional value at that point is worthless.

Pirates of the Caribbean was also added to Fantasmic with the idea of promoting the new movie. It's a symbiotic relationship, though. "Hey, this ride/show was neat! Let's go see the new movie it's based off of that's currently in theaters." "Hey that movie was neat! Let's go see the new ride/show it's based off of that's currently at Disneyland."

No one's talking about the movie now because it's been nearly a year, but it killed at box office (4th highest film of 2017) and scored high both critically and with audiences.

Is it anywhere on the same level of Indy? No, not even close. But you could definitely find better reasons for bashing it!
Nah it was pretty bad. Besides, the argument is longevity and timelessness. People still talk about all three (;)) Indiana Jones movies. People only talk about the first GotG. If the third one is just like the second one, it'll prove that the first Guardians was a fluke.

dweezil78

Nah it was pretty bad. Besides, the argument is longevity and timelessness. People still talk about all three (;)) Indiana Jones movies. People only talk about the first GotG. If the third one is just like the second one, it'll prove that the first Guardians was a fluke.

The Guardians theatrical franchise is less than 4 years old dude... Arguably too young for attractions to be made, but there's no sense in comparing it to a 30+ yr old franchise like Indy when we have no idea how it'll be perceived that long from now. Tons of people are still talking about it though. The chatter isn't loud at the moment bc we're off cycle and other MCU properties (like a little movie called Black Panther) are getting the spotlight. Also consider the MCU in this equation which is a totally different ball of wax, something we've never really seen in the movie business to this degree. Indy stands alone and is not part of something larger.

dweezil78

That's why it's allowed to shine.

I think, in 30 years, the overall MCU will be remembered. I don't think any of the movies will.

30 years ago was just 1987 (maybe seems like ancient times for you, but not for me). There is a lot of seemingly forgettable junk people still remember from 1987! I can assure you, people will remember a movie like Guardians of the Galaxy in 30 years, assuming we are all still here then! Whether or not its a series on the level of Indy, who knows... But I think a lot of kids who grew up with it will still be digging it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
30 years ago was just 1987 (maybe seems like ancient times for you, but not for me). There is a lot of seemingly forgettable junk people still remember from 1987! I can assure you, people will remember a movie like Guardians of the Galaxy in 30 years, assuming we are all still here then! Whether or not its a series on the level of Indy, who knows... But I think a lot of kids who grew up with it will still be digging it.

He wasn't even alive in 1987, so he won't know what its about....

Pet rocks, Poprocks, Rubik's cube, Tetris, MC Hammer and his pants, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom