News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Let's just remind ourselves of why we're here with this project...

"Per the Micechat article, "this was a project that was fast-tracked with major political pressure inside WDI, and it’s designed by WDI to prove to Bob Chapek that they can still project manage a park concept quickly to completion with good results, which is something Bob feels WDI is not very capable of." In other words...very little of this project is being approached with the guest satisfaction in mind, aka, kind of their first priority."

...carry on!

Let us remind ourselves that WDI is known for taking years on projects especially at TDO. While back in the early days it took half the time.

So I kind of get where he is coming from. WDI needs to do a better job at managing projects from design to completion and have their feet held to the fire when it doesn't execute.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Let us remind ourselves that WDI is known for taking years on projects especially at TDO. While back in the early days it took half the time.

So I kind of get where he is coming from. WDI needs to do a better job at managing projects from design to completion and have their feet held to the fire when it doesn't execute.
I would GLADLY sacrifice time of construction of an attraction if it meant we weren't getting schlock like PP.

This is a project not being designed for the benefit of anyone, but for WDI to pat themselves on the back and stick it to Chapek that they "could". But you know that old phrase...just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Last edited:

nevol

Disney has a stupid people problem. People are more excited about slinky dog dash than incredicoaster despite incredicoaster being a far far FAR superior ride that has already been popular for 15 years, probably double the speed and length, and will be more immersive, I have to admit. Having said that, all of these projects are the theme park equivalent of "straight to vhs" movies/sequels. They're made for stupid people.

nevol

Let's just remind ourselves of why we're here with this project...

"Per the Micechat article, "this was a project that was fast-tracked with major political pressure inside WDI, and it’s designed by WDI to prove to Bob Chapek that they can still project manage a park concept quickly to completion with good results, which is something Bob feels WDI is not very capable of." In other words...very little of this project is being approached with the guest satisfaction in mind, aka, kind of their first priority."

...carry on!
Wow, that was... amazing! OC Register keeping them honest! Great way to follow Bob's corporate speak.

Curious Constance

Disney has a stupid people problem. People are more excited about slinky dog dash than incredicoaster despite incredicoaster being a far far FAR superior ride that has already been popular for 15 years, probably double the speed and length, and will be more immersive, I have to admit. Having said that, all of these projects are the theme park equivalent of "straight to vhs" movies/sequels. They're made for stupid people.
Probably only because Slinky Dog is new.

shortstop

No, the reason people aren’t excited about Incredicoaster is because it’s now new. You said it yourself, it’s been here over 15 years!

Professortango1

I wouldn't say more immersive. Slinky Dog is themed to a kid playset in a backyard. The entire land will look that way. Incredicoaster is themed to chasing after Jack Jack. But it will look like a woodie on a boardwalk pier. :rolleyes:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I would GLADLY sacrifice time of construction of an attraction if it meant we weren't getting schlock like PP.

This is a project not being designed for the benefit of anyone, but for WDI to pat themselves on the back and stick it to Chapek that they could. But you know that old phrase...just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

If this is to prove that WDI can still deliver on projects in a timely manner and on-budget then that is the benefit. And in the end its the benefit to all as it means management would be more likely to approve more risky projects.

Think about it from a business decision, you have a division who is constantly missing schedules (by years sometimes) and always over budget. Why would you give them projects that are more risky such as original attractions. You'd give them things that are less risky, require less time, and cost less.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

If this is to prove that WDI can still deliver on projects in a timely manner and on-budget then that is the benefit. And in the end its the benefit to all as it means management would be more likely to approve more risky projects.

Think about it from a business decision, you have a division who is constantly missing schedules (by years sometimes) and always over budget. Why would you give them projects that are more risky such as original attractions. You'd give them things that are less risky, require less time, and cost less.
I get that...but that's not how they present it to the general public. They present it like, "We're trying to make this amazing experience for YOU the guest! YOU'LL love it! It's what YOU'VE been asking for!" And of course, they have to do this. But it's just annoyingly dis-genuine.

And let's not forget though that this SAME company is currently working on a project just across the esplanade that is astronomically more complex and "risky" and costly and they seem to trust them just fine.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I get that...but that's not how they present it to the general public. They present it like, "We're trying to make this amazing experience for YOU the guest! YOU'LL love it! It's what YOU'VE been asking for!" And of course, they have to do this. But it's just annoyingly dis-genuine.

That is the PR machine.

What do you expect them to say, "Hey we don't trust our design teams, so we are giving them some basic projects so they can prove themselves." Yeah that would go over well... :rolleyes:

And let's not forget though that this SAME company is currently working on a project just across the esplanade that is astronomically more complex and "risky" and costly and they seem to trust them just fine.

However how many times did they have to go back (delays) and redesign because it wasn't what management asked for. Additionally its a different group at WDI (from what I understand) and a different head of P&R.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

That is the PR machine.

What do you expect them to say, "Hey we don't trust our design teams, so we are giving them some basic projects so they can prove themselves." Yeah that would go over well... :rolleyes:

However how many times did they have to go back (delays) and redesign because it wasn't what management asked for. Additionally its a different group at WDI (from what I understand) and a different head of P&R.
lol Of course that wouldn't go over well. I just no longer believe the PR hype.

And I don't know that we know really anything about how much they had to go back and re-design elements of SWL because they weren't up to management's approval. I think its grasping at straws to assume too much.

Also, didn't WDI have a recent "success" with their seemingly on-time delivery of MB?

Hatbox Ghostbuster

There are most likely a few divisions that handle projects at WDI. There are the A-team that handles big projects like new lands and parks while there are the B and C teams that handle cosmetic changes and store redesigns. They are not the same group.
Definitely not. There are teams for each park and sub groups within that hierarchy.

mickEblu

There are most likely a few divisions that handle projects at WDI. There are the A-team that handles big projects like new lands and parks while there are the B and C teams that handle cosmetic changes and store redesigns. They are not the same group.

So I’m guessing SWL is the A team and Marvel probably will be too. Pixar Pier is the C Team and GOTG:MB was the B team.

Ismael Flores

i really wish they had at least themed the supports on slinky coaster. How difficult would it had been to order more fake building block shells and place them around the supports.
They could have even given them a themed paint job to look like K'nex building blocks by just painting them in multiple colors and adding a few themed joints. K'nex even sells sets to build coasters, maybe try and do a deal with them so that they could sponsor the coaster and sell their toys at the park.
They could also have painted them to look like Lincoln blocks.
The illusion of it being made by a child in his backyard would have been much more believable with these extra touches along with a few more scattered toys thrown around in the land.

Bugsland may not have had the best attractions but i think so far it has been the one land that really helped create the illusion they wanted to create. The compact walkways, the landscape and all the great props throughout really added to it all.
If they really are going to tear out bugsland they should really consider seeing if it is worth saving some of those great props and ship them to Florida to be used. Everything from the popsicle benches to the giant cloverleaves.

so far im not that impressed with the lack of tall grasses and bamboo as well as the huge paths in this new toy storyland. the theming itself is great so far but the cutbacks in design have really hurt what could have been a really fun place to explore. Now its just a place to go get on a couple rides and walk out.

I'm really hoping that TDA is pushing WDI for details on Pixar Pier. They might not be the best ideas for the parks but they could be visually fun

Disney Irish

Premium Member
lol Of course that wouldn't go over well. I just no longer believe the PR hype.

And I don't know that we know really anything about how much they had to go back and re-design elements of SWL because they weren't up to management's approval. I think its grasping at straws to assume too much.

Also, didn't WDI have a recent "success" with their seemingly on-time delivery of MB?

If you believe the rumor hype from sites like MC, WDI had to go back and redesign several times because the management wanted everything bigger. Its the reason why the site changed from TT to where it is now.

As for MB, was that the same team handling SW:GE? Is that the same team handling PP? I doubt it.

Phroobar

So I’m guessing SWL is the A team and Marvel probably will be too. Pixar Pier is the C Team and GOTG:MB was the B team.
Yes. Didn't you see Mr. T working on the SWL mountain range?

24pth4.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom