News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

mickEblu

I have a question, do we know for a fact that In-Park Surveys are being "rigged"? Or are "we" just reading what "we" believe into the situation, similar to what Disney is being accused of with the surveys. Could it not be that its pointing to a cultural shift toward wanting familiar characters in attractions?

I don’t know. I’ve ran out of brain cells for today. What do “you” think?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don’t know. I’ve ran out of brain cells for today. What do “you” think?

I can see how some can project their believes into the situation, and believe that Disney is rigging the surveys. However I do believe there is a cultural shift to wanting to see familiar characters in attractions. Some want to call it the dumbing-down of society. But I see it more as the comfort effect, where you just get the immediate comfortable feeling by seeing the familiar. The chaos that is society today makes everyone crave the comfort of the familiar more and more. Its the reason why nostalgia around Disney itself is so strong. We crave that familiar feeling, it makes us warm like a blanket.

Anyway that is the way I see it.

D

Deleted member 107043

I think AP behavior is relevant but you don’t seem to talk much about the fact that Disney created this monster.

Disney created something that is immensely popular and has purposely made it easily accessible to large numbers of people, and you're right, I don't talk about it much because I assumed that this was obvious to everyone. What's less apparent though, and more interesting, are fans actively complaining about the monster yet unable to break away from it. Just because Disney developed something we all love and crave, something which has quietly veered off in some brand nightmare we dislike doesn't absolve us when we continue to contribute to its success with our wallets and purses. Again, and this is pure conjecture, but I beginning to think most fans don't dislike this stuff as much as they say they do.

Again, this conversation started by me making a comment about Disney’s ineffective surveys and you still haven’t commented on why or why not you feel they are effective. So if I’m connecting the dots, you re saying that because APs / Disney fans are addicted Disney will continue to add IP or whatever else they want to do because the revenue keeps growing every year. Still not sure how that makes their surveys effective or what it has to do with them at all. Maybe you mean they don’t need to have effective surveys because it doesn’t matter?

What I'm saying is surveys are likely a very small part of the equation for what Disney chooses to do or not do do broadly across their portfolio of theme parks. Fans who want to send a clear message to Disney that they disapprove would do better to slow or stop spending money at their parks. Beyond that I don't see any other way to change the direction they are headed.

DarkMetroid567

It wasn't an action film that tried to hit on every agenda and focus group, inserting vegetarian Chewies everywhere they saw fit. Focusing on one character or group of characters experiences is earnest, when shoving diversity into blockbuster films that are already poorly written is distracting.

I'm not going to argue that many big-name films shove political issues into them when they don't exactly work, but I don't really see the opposition to them as a whole. We've seen so much online hatred towards Black Panther and I just don't really understand why any film that doesn't have a straight white male lead is seen as "pandering to the liberals." Why must we have a "normal"?

TROR

I'm not going to argue that many big-name films shove political issues into them when they don't exactly work, but I don't really see the opposition to them as a whole. We've seen so much online hatred towards Black Panther and I just don't really understand why any film that doesn't have a straight white male lead is seen as "pandering to the liberals." Why must we have a "normal"?
Really haven't seen a lot of hatred towards Black Panther myself, but I can say the some I have seen has mostly come from DC fans who just hate on all Marvel movies. I'm sure there are a lot of people who are complaining about it being "pandering to the liberals" and I don't think that's because of the movie itself but the way the social media is portraying this film and if you've been on twitter you know what I mean by this.

mickEblu

Disney created something that is immensely popular and has purposely made it easily accessible to large numbers of people, and you're right, I don't talk about it much because I assumed that this was obvious to everyone. What's less apparent though, and more interesting, are fans actively complaining about the monster yet unable to break away from it. Just because Disney developed something we all love and crave, something which has quietly veered off in some brand nightmare we dislike doesn't absolve us when we continue to contribute to its success with our wallets and purses. Again, and this is pure conjecture, but I beginning to think most fans don't dislike this stuff as much as they say they do.

What I'm saying is surveys are likely a very small part of the equation for what Disney chooses to do or not do do broadly across their portfolio of theme parks. Fans who want to send a clear message to Disney that they disapprove would do better to slow or stop spending money at their parks. Beyond that I don't see any other way to change the direction they are headed.

Disney is a lot like the fans that can’t break away. They know the park infrastructure can’t continue to handle the crowds and that they make for operational nightmares yet they re so addicted to the money that they haven’t made any real meaningful changes to the AP program. These yearly price increases aren’t really doing much. The average person does the math and says “ok so I need to pay another 12$ a month.”

As far as fans speaking with their wallet that’s a tough one. I mean would you stop eating at a restaurant if you didn’t like one or two of their dishes ( GOTG/ Pixar Pier) but they still serve your favorite steak and lobster (the rest of the park attractions and entertainment)? Probably not. Now you might if the service (crowds impact on visits) continued to be below par but thats not really what we re talking about.

For me personally the only change that has outraged me was the TOT conversion to GOTG:MB. Im indifferent with Pixar Pier. So far nothing that would dissuade from not renewing. I do have other reasons to not renew though- like crowds and traffic on the 5 freeway.

Now if they start treating DL the same way with tacky overlays that would probably be different. If they started permanently converting some of the DL classics I think you would see some folks start to drop off.

Last edited:

Travel Junkie

I'm not a fan of the everything IP trend, but crowds seem to favor the IP rides with notable exception like Pirates and HM that have been around for generations. My last trip to Hong Kong was an eye opener. At HKDL the longest wait time was Winnie the Pooh at 30-45 minutes. The mediocre Magic Kingdom Winnie the Pooh version. Meanwhile the best Disney attraction ever imo Mystic Manor was a walk on all day. I realize they have different ride capacities but still. This is what Disney sees and makes their decisions accordingly. IP wins.

TROR

I guess, like Walt Disney said, Disneyland really does have a stupid people problem. Weird how Disney purists are always attacked for hating change and new things but if you ask a "Disney fan" what they want it's just IP nonsense. Almost as if they're afraid of change and new things.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I guess, like Walt Disney said, Disneyland really does have a stupid people problem. Weird how Disney purists are always attacked for hating change and new things but if you ask a "Disney fan" what they want it's just IP nonsense. Almost as if they're afraid of change and new things.

Not sure Walt ever really said that...

TROR

Any other source besides your signature? And no a post on MChat doesn't count.
Here's a photo of him saying it.

Walt-DIsney-inspiring-quotes-720x340.jpg

Besides, you don't see it on this list, do you? I didn't think so.

D

Deleted member 107043

I mean would you stop eating at a restaurant if you didn’t like one or two of their dishes ( GOTG/ Pixar Pier) but they still serve your favorite steak and lobster (the rest of the park attractions and entertainment)? Probably not. Now you might if the service (crowds impact on visits) continued to be below par but thats not really what we re talking about.

Maybe I wouldn't stop eating there but I wouldn't fixiate on its nostaligic past or incessantly complain about the how much it has changed either.

Now if they start treating DL the same way with tacky overlays that would probably be different. If they started permanently converting some of the DL classics I think you would see some folks start to drop off

It's already happened. See: Tom Sawyer Island and The Submarine Voyage.

mickEblu

Maybe I wouldn't stop eating there but I wouldn't fixiate on its nostaligic past or incessantly complain about the how much it has changed either.

It's already happened. See: Tom Sawyer Island and The Submarine Voyage.

Only a small fraction of fans on sites like this complain ALL the time. Most are able to have deeper conversations, discuss nuances and weigh pros and cons.

I wouldn’t include TSI, it’s still more or less the same. Granted a little smaller, the treehouse is blocked off and no fort. But still an island with trees, caves and bridges where kids can run around.

The subs closed before APs were a common thing. I’m talking about Pirates, HM, Jungle Cruise, BTM, Splash, Indy etc. If they were to turn POTC into a Princess and the Frog ride I think you would see a lot of people let their passes lapse. But they wouldn’t do that. They know just how far they can push it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

But still an island with trees, caves and bridges where kids can run around.

And Mission Breakout is still an elevator drop ride inside a highrise tower. ;)

The subs closed before APs were a common thing.

You conveniently keep shifting the goalposts. You said, "If they started permanently converting some of the DL classics I think you would see some folks start to drop off". The Submarine Voyage, er, Finding Nemo's Submarine Voyage was a classic attraction dating back to 1959 that was given a half-baked Studio IP overlay unrelated to the themed land it sits in, and thus should fit the criteria you referenced. Also, APs were definitely a thing in 1998 when the original Subs closed.

In any case, my point, as it relates to the topic of this thread, is that the sum of any argument against the over abundance of Studio IP at Disney Parks, including silly overlays like Pixar Pier, ought to acknowledge that the strategy is working extremely well because customers are fully embracing it.

mickEblu

And Mission Breakout is still an elevator drop ride inside a highrise tower. ;)

You conveniently keep shifting the goalposts. You said, "If they started permanently converting some of the DL classics I think you would see some folks start to drop off". The Submarine Voyage, er, Finding Nemo's Submarine Voyage was a classic attraction dating back to 1959 that was given a half-baked Studio IP overlay unrelated to the themed land it sits in, and thus should fit the criteria you referenced.

In any case, my point, as it relates to the topic of this thread, is that the sum of any argument against the over abundance of Studio IP at Disney Parks, including silly overlays like Pixar Pier, ought to acknowledge that the strategy is working extremely well because customers are fully embracing it.

No you re right, adding some Skeleton’s to TSI is exactly the same as what they did to TOT. :facepalm:.

How is it shifting goal posts? What drop off in APs would be noticeable when their were like 500 APs (exaggerating) in 1995 or whenever they closed the ride? Besides I personally don’t hold the old subs in the same regard as I hold the other attractions I mentioned but that’s my opinion. Although I imagine most would agree. I’ve heard that the Submarine Voyage was a walk on towards the end of its life.

Wrong. Just because people like the majority of what the parks have to offer does NOT mean they embrace the new changes. You admitted yourself you would still go for your steak and lobster but you just wouldn’t complain about the past.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom