News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

TROR

Do you know what'd be a perfect fit for the park, would increase the quality of the park in a very simple way, and would be an IP to satisfy Disney shareholders? Mulan dark ride in Pacific Wharf. Seriously, she's on the cover of the map for DCA, they celebrate Lunar New Year in this park, and Pacific Wharf already has a Chinese restaurant. Why hasn't this been done yet to the food court land that so desperately needs an attraction?

mickEblu

I do not want to sort of derail this any further but not sure there would be much value in a new dedicated thread, as it would seem to have already been of much discussion here. But...

What do I think it would take to get California Adventure closer to the caliber of Disneyland? Not in any particular order, and definitely not complete:

- overall, the main issue is the rides (the signature ones included) do not reach the same caliber as those in the park next door and so far apart from each other in walking distance.
- needs dark rides of every size. golden vine winery. cars land. pixar pier.
- demolish hollywoodland. space is too valuable and is redundant now as we now have buena vista street.
- bugs land should be also go. space is valuable and pixar pier should be looked at as similar to fastasyland.
- eliminate views of outside the park.
- upgrade anywhere cheap remains.
- soarin' needs to revert back to original, far superior, over california film.
- grizzly river run needs wildlife audio-animatronics.
- etc.

My answer will include a bit of what we know they are planning, think they might be planning and what I would want to see.

1. Extend BVS all the way to Hyperion and get rid of Hollywoodland in the process, making BVS a “real” land with more substance. Just the name Hollywoodland sounds cheesy anyway. So now you have BVS quality facades all the way to the Hyperion.

2. Get rid of the “backlot” concept and Put the Mickey ride there but give the attraction showbuiling a nice theatre facade and a properly themed Q. I would like this but being that Mickey is rumored to go into Toontown then how about moving Roger Rabbit here (since they ll probably need the room in Toontown anyway) and add an Ink n Paint club. With that said, I don’t see them going thru this trouble for the Roger Franchise so my biggest hope is that Marvel land doesn’t claim this area too.

3. Reroute the Red Car so it makes a left at Sunset and goes through the now backlot instead of past GOTG.

4. Hyperion- I’m torn here and I know that it’s good for the park but if I were in charge I’d probably opt for an E ticket here- but given its proximity to Marvel land - no thanks. We ll already have 3 Marvel rides with out using the Hyperion. So the Hyperion stays but get rid of that fake sky and put a real weenie there and maybe somehow add a nice theatre lobby.

5. The Animation Building - Also torn here as it is a huge piece of real estate but I love the lobby. With Turtle Talk most likely moving to Pixar Pier, it really only leaves the animation academy as the draw. I don’t think many people (especially non APs) do the sorcerers workshop. So all this to say I wouldn’t mind an original D or E ticket being placed here if there is the space. With that said, who knows if they use this Space for the Spider-Man ride or Marvel land in general.

6. Bugs Land- so we know Marvel land is taking over. I just hope that they keep some of the lush theming and not raze all the greenery and erect big city building facades (boring). Specifically, I hope they pay attention to the lands entrance off the main pathway through the park. I don’t think the big city vibe would work there next to the Cars Land entrance and Grizzly Peak/ the winery. Whatever big city vibe the land gets will probably be further back to where Fliks Fun Fair is now or maybe even further into the expansion pad behind GOTG.

7. Marvel Land - Put the proposed Spider-Man ride where ITBAB is now and into current Fliks Fun fair as the space will probably be needed. Put the Avengers coaster in the expansion of behind GOTG.

8.Pixar Pier- put an Inside Out or Coco dark ride somewhere using backstage space. Inside Out would make more sense eventhough I enjoyed Coco more and think it could make for a better ride.

9. Paradise Park- This is a tough one. Not sure how much room there is to do anything and it was really only renamed because they decided not to renovate all of Pixar Pier. Maybe they eventually extend Pixar Pier all the way to Mermaid and “move” Mermaid to Pacific Wharf. Possibly use the Grizzly Challenge trail space for a new Pixar Pier / Paradise Park ride with an entrance between Mermaid / golden Zephyr. *** If this Space isn’t used for another Grizzly Peak ride.

10. Grizzly Peak:

Soarin- bring back Soarin Over California, at least in one theatre.

Grizzly River Run - Add good quality AAs. No ROA mannequins.

Challenge Trail - New dark ride- No brainer. Preferably something original. Something like Mystic Manor would great. Or Maybe something where we go digging for Gold and the mines start collapsing... But that’s too much like BTM and Indy. Or a Rethemed Seven Dwarfs coaster but rethemed to the Country Bears.

11. Expansion pad at the current Bus Transportation area- If the Mickey ride (or any new BVS/ Hollywoodland attraction) can fit into the current backlot and Marvel land and included attractions can fit into the expansion pad behind GOTG that leaves room for a new land here. This doesn’t seem very practical though. And who knows many years until hey decide to utilize this area?

12. Simba lot- scrap whatever dumb plans they have here and expand DCA into this lot with a themed bridge over Disney way to get into the land. Then insert my suspended Aladdin E ticket and another “adventure land” type attraction. I’m seeing a volcano anchor this land.

13. Bring back Tower of Terror. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

They should raffle off the opportunity to swing the wrecking ball at Jumpin' Jellyfish.

Not before I ride it once! 😁

Honestly if they would just close A Bugs Land and invest in something robust (Marvel or whatever) for that corner it would do a lot to improve DCA.

JD2000

1. Extend BVS all the way to Hyperion and get rid of Hollywoodland in the process, making BVS a “real” land with more substance. Just the name Hollywoodland sounds cheesy anyway. So now you have BVS quality facades all the way to the Hyperion.
I enjoyed this idea the most, but not to extend it that far down the street. 1/3 would look good and free up space for other things.

mickEblu

I enjoyed this idea the most, but not to extend it that far down the street. 1/3 would look good and free up space for other things.

I guess it just depends on what they do with the backlot and the Hyperion. My idea was kind of a mix of what I thought was most realistic (Hyperion staying and facades along Hollywood Blvd) and what I would like to see (BVS being extended). If the Hyperion stays then I guess it would make sense that the facades lead all the way up to the weenie.

TROR

What if we just had an actual California themed park? Bring back Tower of Terror, add the Great Movie Ride, bring back Country Bear Jamboree to Grizzly Peak, Mystic Manor type ride in Paradise (not Pixar) Pier, finish Paradise Pier's Victorian aesthetics, AA's added to GRR, add Mulan dark ride to Pacific Wharf, strip Cars Land of the Cars theme and just make it 1950's/60's Route 66 small town, more trees throughout the park, a new Soarin' show (either bring back California or make one for America) and fix Hollywood Land's facades. Lots more than could be done but I see this all as the bare minimum for fixing the park.

mickEblu

What if we just had an actual California themed park? Bring back Tower of Terror, add the Great Movie Ride, bring back Country Bear Jamboree to Grizzly Peak, Mystic Manor type ride in Paradise (not Pixar) Pier, finish Paradise Pier's Victorian aesthetics, AA's added to GRR, add Mulan dark ride to Pacific Wharf, strip Cars Land of the Cars theme and just make it 1950's/60's Route 66 small town, more trees throughout the park, a new Soarin' show (either bring back California or make one for America) and fix Hollywood Land's facades. Lots more than could be done but I see this all as the bare minimum for fixing the park.

I like most of these except the Mulan ride. What does that have to do with California? Also, I think the IP less Car Land could have been cool but it would be hard to go from IP to non IP now. Taking away all of kids favorite characters from the Cars franchise and replacing them with some random dude from San Bernardino would be a tough sell.

TROR

I like most of these except the Mulan ride. What does that have to do with California? Also, I think the IP less Car Land could have been cool but it would be hard to go from IP to non IP now. Taking away all of kids favorite characters from the Cars franchise and replacing them with some random dude from San Bernardino would be a tough sell.
California has a rich history with Chinese immigration and Pacific Wharf specifically reflects this with The Lucky Fortune Cookery. The park is also currently celebrating the upcoming Chinese New Year, and has been for years now, so including Chinese culture within the park is not unheard of. Personally, I'd actually like to see a Chinatown offshoot in Hollywood Land but I don't think it'd work with the current layout of the park. I see Mulan fitting into Pacific Wharf just as thematically well as Mary Poppins on Main Street USA or Pirates of the Caribbean in New Orleans Square. It may be a bit of a stretch logically, but it does feel right.

DanielBB8

It doesn’t help your argument to make the park more California by adding a Chinatown, which is common in most major metropolitan cities and not exactly original. Ethnic enclaves might be the American experience, but by its nature caters to the foreigners of the originating countries and not California. It’s an argument that I can drive a truck thru. Why not Disney’s IP that includes characters made by Californians and based on Californian culture unlike Mulan that’s based on Chinese folklore and badly bastardized by Disney.

TROR

It doesn’t help your argument to make the park more California by adding a Chinatown, which is common in most major metropolitan cities and not exactly original. Ethnic enclaves might be the American experience, but by its nature caters to the foreigners of the originating countries and not California. It’s an argument that I can drive a truck thru. Why not Disney’s IP that includes characters made by Californians and based on Californian culture unlike Mulan that’s based on Chinese folklore and badly bastardized by Disney.
The three most iconic Chinatowns are in New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco.

mickEblu

Nothing more Californian than Pixar in Emeryville that features Inside Out that was located in San Francisco.

Chinatown is about China.

I think your argument to why Chinatown doesn’t make sense in DCA was good but saying that Pixar belongs in DCA because the studio is located in California is a pretty weak argument. With that reasoning I guess Disneyland could also be California Adventure since Disney Studios are in Burbank. Its simple- the park is not about experiencing California anymore. Sure, there are parts left over that still are but now it’s just California in name or a Disney adventure park in California if you will. We don’t need to do any mental gymnastics to try to make sense of attractions/ lands or hold it to its opening day thesis.

Last edited:

Rich T

But I only wrote that Cars Land needs another dark ride. :confused:
Whoops, sorry--I misunderstood. I'd love to see another dark ride in CL, too. I also think Disney could close Autopia ( freeing up space) and give Cars Land its own Autopia-style ride--which would be great for everyone, including kids too young to ride RSR!

mickEblu

Whoops, sorry--I misunderstood. I'd love to see another dark ride in CL, too. I also think Disney could close Autopia ( freeing up space) and give Cars Land its own Autopia-style ride--which would be great for everyone, including kids too young to ride RSR!

I’d rather see those resources go somewhere else. Eventhough it’s not my personal favorite, we already have a mega dark ride in RSR where we experience All of the highlights from the film. I’d like to see a dark ride in Pixar Pier, Grizzly Peak and the Current Hollywood backlot. I think adding 3 legit dark rides plus the thrill rides that will be coming Marvel will really round out the park nicely and help alleviate some of the crowding at DL.

DanielBB8

If only Pixar Pier was a recreation of Emeryville, CA then.
Are they going recreate Chinatown? Not even close. It’s even worse if they add a Mulan attraction like you suggested.
I think your argument to why Chinatown doesn’t make sense in DCA was good but saying that Pixar belongs in DCA because the studio is located in California is a pretty weak argument. With that reasoning I guess Disneyland could also be California Adventure since Disney Studios are in Burbank. Its simple- the park is not about experiencing California anymore. Sure, there are parts left over that still are but now it’s just California in name or a Disney’s adventure park in California if you will. We don’t need to do any mental gymnastics to try to make sense of attractions/ lands or hold it to its opening day thesis.
I’m glad you think it’s weak because that’s the logic I applied about adding Chinatown to DCA. But adding Pixar makes more sense than Chinatown due to Pixar originated in California whereas Chinatown is all about China.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom