News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

dweezil78

Guessing this is what we're getting at Pixar Pier, eh?
jsfhgk000587906-624x352.jpg

Taken from this on the Disney Park's Blog today...
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...i-disneyland-is-now-home-to-woody-and-jessie/

Rich T

Remember when DCA opened with all the tacky, grotesque "giant" stuff? Giant Orange, Giant Hammer Game, Giant Hamburger, Giant Scary Barker Guy... and 3 of the 4 were removed to improve the area and make it more classy? I'll give Mr. Potato Head a pass, but, in general, the Toy Story gang are not appealing when blown up to stupid proportions. They border on horrific.

dweezil78

Remember when DCA opened with all the tacky, grotesque "giant" stuff? Giant Orange, Giant Hammer Game, Giant Hamburger, Giant Scary Barker Guy... and 3 of the 4 were removed to improve the area and make it more classy? I'll give Mr. Potato Head a pass, but, in general, the Toy Story gang are not appealing when blown up to stupid proportions. They border on horrific.

Yeah, I really don't understand why the toys would be so much larger than us, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I don't mind that stuff at the WDW value resorts though, it's cool for what it is there as it's all a bit intentionally tacky and larger than life.

D

Deleted member 107043

The Toy Story Hotel is a decent place to stay, but that has nothing to do with its hideous theme.

Oh I'm sure it is. I personally think all but a few of Disney's hotels are decent places to stay (insert shady side-eye glance at Paradise Pier Hotel here). I posted that photo of SDL because I find it interesting that a Pixar based hotel actually looks as silly as it sounds. Look at those poor cast members greeting guests at the door. Why do I feel sorry for them?

GiveMeTheMusic

Oh I'm sure it is. I personally think all but a few of Disney's hotels are decent places to stay (insert shady side-eye glance at Paradise Pier Hotel here). I posted that photo of SDL because I find it interesting that a Pixar based hotel actually looks as silly as it sounds. Look at those poor cast members greeting guests at the door. Why do I feel sorry for them?

Oh it's worse in person. It's just hideous. Gag worthy.

And then if you really start to think about it, it gets worse. You're staying in Andy's room.

Let that sink in.

No one thought that through and thought wow maybe this is a bad idea

GiveMeTheMusic

And forgive me for continuing on this, but it's particularly maddening because Toy Story, as a property, is not popular in China. With the exception of Coco, which was a breakout hit there, no Pixar film has grossed anything significant in China. Inside Out did like $15 mil and the Toy Story numbers are worse IIRC.

For some reason, Disney is INTENT on shoving gawdawful hideous Toy Story rides, lands, hotels, etc into every resort they own even though NO ONE IS ASKING FOR IT.

D

Deleted member 107043

And forgive me for continuing on this, but it's particularly maddening because Toy Story, as a property, is not popular in China. With the exception of Coco, which was a breakout hit there, no Pixar film has grossed anything significant in China. Inside Out did like $15 mil and the Toy Story numbers are worse IIRC.

For some reason, Disney is INTENT on shoving gawdawful hideous Toy Story rides, lands, hotels, etc into every resort they own even though NO ONE IS ASKING FOR IT.

Here's a fun NYT article about an American family visiting SDL with their daughter. The author's in-depth descriptions of the TS Hotel are worth reading.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/04/travel/disneyland-shanghai-theme-parks.html

smile

lol - talking about this the other day and made the joke

a: so and so park could really use some help, maybe...
b: do they have a toy story land?
a: well... yeah, of course - they all d......
b: no

and hey... 3 for 1 giant jessies - hello?!

Last edited:

GiveMeTheMusic

Here's a fun NYT article about an American family visiting SDL with their daughter. The author's in-depth descriptions of the TS Hotel are worth reading.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/04/travel/disneyland-shanghai-theme-parks.html

I always find it fascinating to read the perspectives of people who are not theme park people and have never been to a Disney park before. Starting with SDL is certainly an interesting move, but they bely their ignorance by being willing to wait for the Iron Man thing, which is an XBOX game thing they used to do at Innoventions. It's not even a ride - like, go ride Pirates ok? Make something out of your LIFE.

I took an adult friend to Disneyland for her first visit not too long ago and she was visibly relieved when we passed Town Square. I asked why and she explained that she assumed it would be like the 80s-90s TV show episodes where the family would visit Disney and she'd be mobbed by characters trying to hug her. The reality of 20 minute orderly waits for Mickey and Donald in Town Square was a welcome relief in her mind. She also assumed everything in the park would be based on a Disney movie and was surprised to find otherwise.

Curious Constance

Is it because of John L?

GiveMeTheMusic

Is it because of John L?

I can't think of another good explanation. Toy Story offers absolutely nothing for theme parks. No sense of place, no livable environment, no wonder. At least Radiator Springs is a place and you can walk around that place. Andy's backyard is not a place anyone has ever wanted to visit. The property is incongruous with hotels too - as evidenced by the design, which looks like a midwestern office building where the architect was allowed to get a liiiiittle fancy with shiny windows.

It just baffles me

Curious Constance

I can't think of another good explanation. Toy Story offers absolutely nothing for theme parks. No sense of place, no livable environment, no wonder. At least Radiator Springs is a place and you can walk around that place. Andy's backyard is not a place anyone has ever wanted to visit. The property is incongruous with hotels too - as evidenced by the design, which looks like a midwestern office building where the architect was allowed to get a liiiiittle fancy with shiny windows.

It just baffles me
That's a good point. Toy Story takes place in any house in any city in any state. We don't need to visit it. We live with it every day of our life.

I think it's Pixar's first baby, and they are still making sequels to pimp, and it must be one of John's favorites and something he pushes every chance he gets. I seem to remember a gazillion Toy Story and Cars toys from his office or what may now be known as exhibit Z in the legal proceedings no doubt being drawn against him as we speak.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Disney has about a half-dozen key BRANDS that they like to sell whenever they can. They include Marvel, Star Wars, Princesses, and yes, Toy Story. The goal for current corporate Disney is to maximize the value of these brands by promoting them across their distribution channels (theaters, theme parks, consumer products, television etc), so they can sell more product (toys, video, clothes, streaming etc).

The problem with this way of thinking is that it treats the parks like the regional retail stores, and instead of asking "what would make a good ride?" or "what kind of hotel would I want to stay in?" the question becomes "how can we translate Toy Story into a show for our cruise line?". It's completely backwards, and ignores the differences in cultural tastes or consumer preferences when it comes to the product they're buying. To say nothing of what happens when budgets can't be controlled or when something else becomes popular (like Frozen).

Say what you want about Eisner, he at least understood the appeal of theme parks and hotels. Current Disney would never build something like Wilderness Lodge or Tower of Terror. Instead we get Toy Story the Hotel, Toy Story the Land, Toy Story the Musical and so on.

GiveMeTheMusic

I’m not a big fan of TS all over the place, but to say it offers nothing for theme parks just is a pretty bold statement, and I can’t say I agree.

I'd rephrase. So far it offers nothing to theme parks. There hasn't been a single compelling implementation of this IP, and yes, I have been on TSM and Buzz everywhere they've been built. TSM is not a compelling or good attraction IMO - a moving Wii - but what people like about it has absolutely nothing to do with the IP. Buzz is better, but it's not great or compelling. What's fun about Buzz, shooting lasers, has nothing to do with the IP, as evidenced by HKDL's decision to retheme theirs to Ant-Man.

So theoretically WDI could come up with a compelling Toy Story attraction that stands the test of time. They haven't done it yet though.

Still gutted DCA didn't get the big, insane Incredibles E-ticket that was planned just after the 50th. Now the parks are making tons more money with millions more guests annually, and we get...Incredicoaster.

If I was Pixar, I'd be displeased.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom