News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Curious Constance

Disney has about a half-dozen key BRANDS that they like to sell whenever they can. They include Marvel, Star Wars, Princesses, and yes, Toy Story. The goal for current corporate Disney is to maximize the value of these brands by promoting them across their distribution channels (theaters, theme parks, consumer products, television etc), so they can sell more product (toys, video, clothes, streaming etc).

The problem with this way of thinking is that it treats the parks like the regional retail stores, and instead of asking "what would make a good ride?" or "what kind of hotel would I want to stay in?" the question becomes "how can we translate Toy Story into a show for our cruise line?". It's completely backwards, and ignores the differences in cultural tastes or consumer preferences when it comes to the product they're buying. To say nothing of what happens when budgets can't be controlled or when something else becomes popular (like Frozen).

Say what you want about Eisner, he at least understood the appeal of theme parks and hotels. Current Disney would never build something like Wilderness Lodge or Tower of Terror. Instead we get Toy Story the Hotel, Toy Story the Land, Toy Story the Musical and so on.

Just reading this is depressing.

Curious Constance

And you know what's ironic? I've always liked the Toy Story movies. I will always have a place in my heart for the characters because my toddler son at the time fell in love with it. He used to say Bah and Oody for Buzz and Woody and it pulled my heart out and smashed it on the ground.

But Disney has made me so friggin sick of Bah and Oody that even though I like the movies and have that personal connection, it still's becoming more and more annoying and abrasive to me at the parks.

I would so much rather have none IP or theme park only IP with little Disney touches here and there. I wouldn't want a Disney park totally free of IP, but if they don't stop shoving it down our throats every chance they can and stop thinking of synergy rather than good attractions they're going to lessen their theme parks AND their IP.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I'd rephrase. So far it offers nothing to theme parks. There hasn't been a single compelling implementation of this IP, and yes, I have been on TSM and Buzz everywhere they've been built. TSM is not a compelling or good attraction IMO - a moving Wii - but what people like about it has absolutely nothing to do with the IP. Buzz is better, but it's not great or compelling. What's fun about Buzz, shooting lasers, has nothing to do with the IP, as evidenced by HKDL's decision to retheme theirs to Ant-Man.

So theoretically WDI could come up with a compelling Toy Story attraction that stands the test of time. They haven't done it yet though.

Still gutted DCA didn't get the big, insane Incredibles E-ticket that was planned just after the 50th. Now the parks are making tons more money with millions more guests annually, and we get...Incredicoaster.

If I was Pixar, I'd be displeased.

Agreed. The only Pixar theme park presence of real quality is Cars Land. Which is a big one of course. I would have loved to have seen an original thrill ride / hybrid dark ride for the Incredibles.

Back to Toy Story. Why are the damn toys so much bigger than us? It doesn’t make any sense. Judging by the scale, It’s like we’re the toy soldiers toys.

Last edited:

GiveMeTheMusic

Agreed. The only Pixar theme park presence of real quality is Cars Land. Which is a big one of course. I would have loved to have seen an original thrill ride / hybrid dark ride for the Incredibles.

Back to Story. Why are the damn toys so much bigger than us? It doesn’t make any sense. Judging by the scale, It’s like we’re the toy soldiers toys.

Literally nothing about TSL makes any sense. The toys are 20 feet tall and statues that don't move. Wow it's so magical it's just like...the All Star Movies Resort

RWAVAM477993.jpg

D

Deleted member 107043

There hasn't been a single compelling implementation of this IP, and yes, I have been on TSM and Buzz everywhere they've been built. TSM is not a compelling or good attraction IMO - a moving Wii - but what people like about it has absolutely nothing to do with the IP. Buzz is better, but it's not great or compelling.

That's fair, but I think that would be a reasonable thing to say about most, if not all, Studio IP themed content at Disney P&R. Right? I mean TS isn't any different in that regard than Little Mermaid, Frozen, Ratatouille, GoTG, Star Wars (to date), etc.

ThemedScream

I always find it fascinating to read the perspectives of people who are not theme park people and have never been to a Disney park before. Starting with SDL is certainly an interesting move, but they bely their ignorance by being willing to wait for the Iron Man thing, which is an XBOX game thing they used to do at Innoventions. It's not even a ride - like, go ride Pirates ok? Make something out of your LIFE.

I was under the impression that that they didn't actually end up waiting in those lines, as evidenced by the author later stating their daughter was more prone to surveying everything before "committing to an adventure" and so instead they wandered around. In fact, nowhere in that article does it really say they even wound up riding anything lol

The posted wait time for the Become Iron Man entertainment at Marvel Universe, where we could virtually try on Iron Man suits, was 50 minutes. Boarding the spidery Jet Packs ride at Tomorrowland would take 75 minutes; riding the Tron Lightcycle Power Run roller coaster, 90 minutes.
Ernest and I offered to take turns standing in line. We were not being entirely selfless. Marvel Universe, a black, wart-shaped pavilion where boys were running around shrieking, “Wow,” was air-conditioned. But Shan’s nature is to scan from the periphery before committing to any adventure. So we wandered.

dweezil78

That's fair, but I think that would be a reasonable thing to say about most, if not all, Studio IP themed content at Disney P&R. Right? I mean TS isn't any different in that regard than Little Mermaid, Frozen, Ratatouille, GoTG, Star Wars (to date), etc.

You could also say it about all the IP represented by classic FL dark rides. We mostly like those for nostalgic reasons, because it clearly can't be that they're these insane immersive attractions or lands. Some IP, for whatever reason, is simply not destined to be e-ticket material and that's ok. (It doesn't excuse the lameness of Toy Story Land(s) of course.). People seem to be fine with waiting hours to ride Toy Story Mania at DHS though, so go figure...

DanielBB8

For some reason, Disney is INTENT on shoving gawdawful hideous Toy Story rides, lands, hotels, etc into every resort they own even though NO ONE IS ASKING FOR IT.
Toy Story 4 is highly anticipated and many people are disappointed it is delayed again especially with John Lasserter’s leave. So the idea that no one is asking for Toy Story when it is quite viable as a franchise is not making sense.

There are many pleasant memories from Woody and Jessie. That huge Jessie doll is intent on winning girls to the franchise. That’s clearly intentional especially with how they feminized Star Wars by adding Rey. No one asked for any Disney franchise to be feminized, yet here we are.

I don’t expect Disney to listen to their critics in the sense that the fans know better. In fact, it would seem like a bad idea to add Toy Story with it running dry on ideas and it’s gotten feminized. But it seems like the fans misjudged it’s popularity, which is a lot more than we given credit. As kids grow older and fallen out of favor of princesses and Pooh, Toy Story fits in just fine at the next level.

GiveMeTheMusic

Toy Story 4 is highly anticipated and many people are disappointed it is delayed again especially with John Lasserter’s leave. So the idea that no one is asking for Toy Story when it is quite viable as a franchise is not making sense.

There are many pleasant memories from Woody and Jessie. That huge Jessie doll is intent on winning girls to the franchise. That’s clearly intentional especially with how they feminized Star Wars by adding Rey. No one asked for any Disney franchise to be feminized, yet here we are.

I don’t expect Disney to listen to their critics in the sense that the fans know better. In fact, it would seem like a bad idea to add Toy Story with it running dry on ideas and it’s gotten feminized. But it seems like the fans misjudged it’s popularity, which is a lot more than we given credit. As kids grow older and fallen out of favor of princesses and Pooh, Toy Story fits in just fine at the next level.

The overall reaction to Toy Story 4 has not been great anticipation, but a collective "why" - Toy Story 3 wrapped everything up so well. It's hard to believe a fourth installment could be as good. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong, but I don't know anyone who was disappointed when the release date shifted. I'm sure there are people out there who are really looking forward to it, but I'm not sure that's the majority sentiment.

I won't even address "feminized" because I just don't have the strength

DanielBB8

The overall reaction to Toy Story 4 has not been great anticipation, but a collective "why" - Toy Story 3 wrapped everything up so well. It's hard to believe a fourth installment could be as good. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong, but I don't know anyone who was disappointed when the release date shifted. I'm sure there are people out there who are really looking forward to it, but I'm not sure that's the majority sentiment.

I won't even address "feminized" because I just don't have the strength
They don’t need it, but there’s an audience for it. They don’t need Cars 3 and Monsters Inc 2, but there you go.

Feminism is pervasive. Whether it helps or hurts, it will also drive the audience to see it, or change the audience nonetheless.

smile

Say what you want about Eisner, he at least understood the appeal of theme parks and hotels. Current Disney would never build something like Wilderness Lodge or Tower of Terror. Instead we get Toy Story the Hotel, Toy Story the Land, Toy Story the Musical and so on.

was rollin right along until then...
toy story easy fix notwithstanding, eisner era disney would never build pandora, swge, sdl, or villages nature; instead we got dino-land, dca and wdsp.

have a very hard time believing that bob would have ever built disneylands sister (of all places!) 'on the cheap'... look at the money that's been poured in since in an attempt to make right

smile

I took an adult friend to Disneyland for her first visit not too long ago and she was visibly relieved when we passed Town Square. I asked why and she explained that she assumed it would be like the 80s-90s TV show episodes where the family would visit Disney and she'd be mobbed by characters trying to hug her. The reality of 20 minute orderly waits for Mickey and Donald in Town Square was a welcome relief in her mind. She also assumed everything in the park would be based on a Disney movie and was surprised to find otherwise.

ha - your friend sounds like a trip!
a little background context would help understand her perspective a bit, but not needed.

did she enjoy the park? fav ride? best experience?

sorry, just think it would be a ball going with an adult who have never been who held that perception!

smile

though we have stayed at Pop twice so is that really much different?

no -
but yeah, the writing was on the wall for all this with the all-stars... aoa is a better version, but in the same vein

when lands are themed akin to 'value' resorts, what other conclusions are there to draw?

GiveMeTheMusic

ha - your friend sounds like a trip!
a little background context would help understand her perspective a bit, but not needed.

did she enjoy the park? fav ride? best experience?

sorry, just think it would be a ball going with an adult who have never been who held that perception!

She did enjoy the park! She wasn't as impressed with Mansion/Pirates as she was with Hyperspace Mountain. She was also blown away by the parades/shows, which she didn't expect at all - figured they'd be cheeseball and sad.

Rich T

The Times article reminds me of how cynical and jaded people can be. Being smug sounds like the in thing to do these days.
Writers have been creating cynical stories like this about the parks since 1955. In his 1968 book "The Disney Version," Richard Schickel went on and on and on about how making AA figures that looked liked (gasp) humans was--in his view--practically the freaking end of the world and the most horrific and offensive thing any showman had ever perpetrated on the human race. I'm only exaggerating a little; it's just stupid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom