News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Curious Constance

So Disney sucks (?) for ruining Star Wars and doing fine with Pixar. Indiana Jones cannot be redeemed.

I originally questioned why Pixar is still in the doghouse with Disney fans. I’m not getting anywhere close to an answer.

Disney owns them all, right? And next year, Fox.

I don't hate Pixar. But would it make sense to replace Peter Pan with an Incredibles ride? Peter Pan is already popular and draws long lines. So by changing it to Incredibles the park gains nothing and loses a popular, historical attraction. The only reason to make a decision like that would be if they were using the parks to boost other areas. The parks are becoming just another advertising platform instead of their own entity.

Disneylover152

That’s backwards. You attack the attraction. You don’t react to Pixar first. Radiator Springs Racers is the top attraction yet it was knocked very much before the final result.

Yea, and Test Track in Epcot is just as popular, even more popular. Does that have an IP? No. Nobody cares if an attraction has an IP or not. If Flight of Passage was in "Beastly Kingdom", and was themed to dragons flying through a mythical kingdom (and had no reference to an IP), it would get the same popularity because its an amazing ride.

Californian Elitist

Yea, and Test Track in Epcot is just as popular, even more popular. Does that have an IP? No. Nobody cares if an attraction has an IP or not. If Flight of Passage was in "Beastly Kingdom", and was themed to dragons flying through a mythical kingdom (and had no reference to an IP), it would get the same popularity because its an amazing ride.

Define “nobody.”

Disneylover152

Define “nobody.”

Most of the park guests. As long as rides are new, people are going to ride them, just because they are new! A lot of people who visit Pandora have never seen the Avatar Movie, and some don't even know Avatar exists. But they still ride the rides. If Flight of Passage was an original IP about Dragons, it might not get 4 hour waits, but it still going to get 3 hour waits.

shortstop

That’s backwards. You attack the attraction. You don’t react to Pixar first. Radiator Springs Racers is the top attraction yet it was knocked very much before the final result.
I’m attacking the logic and thought process behind putting Pixar in the parks. Execs aren’t looking at the parks and saying “Park X could use Y so we’ll put in ride Z. Oh hey, here’s a Pixar property that would fit that attraction in that area of Park X.” They are saying “we want to put Pixar into our parks. It is probably least out of place in Park X so we will find a way to put it there (but cheaply!)”

Curious Constance

Welcome to the dark side. As promised, we do have cookies.

Wow, what a way to wind down 2017!!! I just used this emotional high and channeled it into physical energy and just took down all of my indoor Christmas decorations, including the tree!

At the risk of going overboard here and thereby causing you to unlike the original comment that started all of this in the first place, I feel invincible right now! I don't know if I should go buy a lotto ticket or become a recluse and go out on a high note!

Whooooo!

Phroobar

Wow, what a way to wind down 2017!!! I just used this emotional high and channeled it into physical energy and just took down all of my indoor Christmas decorations, including the tree!

At the risk of going overboard here and thereby causing you to unlike the original comment that started all of this in the first place, I feel invincible right now! I don't know if I should go buy a lotto ticket or become a recluse and go out on a high note!

Whooooo!
It takes us a little longer. We have 14 Christmas trees. :jawdrop:

DanielBB8

I don't hate Pixar. But would it make sense to replace Peter Pan with an Incredibles ride? Peter Pan is already popular and draws long lines. So by changing it to Incredibles the park gains nothing and loses a popular, historical attraction. The only reason to make a decision like that would be if they were using the parks to boost other areas. The parks are becoming just another advertising platform instead of their own entity.
This is not a true hypothetical. Peter Pan is not risk of being replaced, but Disneyland’s Mr Toad and Snow White are rumored to be at risk especially with MK’s versions are gone. The Incredicoaster is replacing a non-IP ride. In fact, more non-IP attractions are replaced with IP attractions than the reverse.

The parks “entity” was previously their mission statement. Example: Epcot is something about world fair, DAK about animals real or imaginary, DHS is movie making. Now, it’s instead about their theme rather than what they are about. So that’s the point of Theme parks. The theme drives the placement of the IP with the focus on Disney. That’s the name on the marquee.

Phroobar

This is not a true hypothetical. Peter Pan is not risk of being replaced, but Disneyland’s Mr Toad and Snow White are rumored to be at risk especially with MK’s versions are gone. The Incredicoaster is replacing a non-IP ride. In fact, more non-IP attractions are replaced with IP attractions than the reverse.

The parks “entity” was previously their mission statement. Example: Epcot is something about world fair, DAK about animals real or imaginary, DHS is movie making. Now, it’s instead about their theme rather than what they are about. So that’s the point of Theme parks. The theme drives the placement of the IP with the focus on Disney. That’s the name on the marquee.
Mr. Toad and Snow White are both Disney IPs.

DanielBB8

Mr. Toad and Snow White are both Disney IPs.
Yes, they are rumored to be replaced with another relevant IP, not a non-IP attraction. One for one. At Disney World, Mr Toad’s was replaced with Winnie the Pooh and Snow White with the Princess meet and greet.

180º

I’m surprised Indiana Jones Adventure is on this list. Pixar was owned by Disney much longer than it owned Lucas. So how did Lucas get Disney fan approval much quicker while Pixar is still in the doghouse?
IJA is extremely well-executed and coexists harmlessly with the rest of Adventureland, while Pixar Pier is a cheap, rushed overlay that rebrands an existing land for worse (IMO).

lazyboy97o

What? Theme is theme and brand is not theme.

Curious Constance

In fact, more non-IP attractions are replaced with IP attractions than the reverse.

That's precisely my point. Disney is now a bright, shiny LED billboard. No longer a place for original, creative attractions. Or not even well thought out and themed IP that works cohesively with its environment. It's fast becoming just a place to pimp its latest TV show or movie with little to no regard of what that's doing to the integrity of the park itself.

Curious Constance

Fun Fact: Has been true for a few years now, but every Disney Park has a permanent Pixar presence, and all but two (EPCOT and Animal Kingdom) have a Toy Story Presence.
For such a well regarded and respected animation studio, you'd think they'd have a bit more demand for having attractions based on their movies be actually good. I'm no Sherlock Holmes, but maybe that's because their leader drank like a fish and cared more about how computer light made the female's eyes glisten and sparkle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom