News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

lazyboy97o

Equally distressing is how the public never tires of it. I just read that Avatar Flight of Passage has been seeing 3 - 4 hour waits all this week, and could hit five hours as WDW heads into New Year’s. There's no denying that the strategy of focusing almost exclusively on IP driven themes and attractions at Disney Parks is working extremely well.
Disney’s Animal Kingdom would have to see a 50% increase in attendance for Pandora to outperform the last major original attraction at Walt Disney World, Expedition Everest.

Rich T

I disagree. The intensity of Disney fandom is unprecedented. It's practically an industry, and fans at the parks (and online) today frequently express an obsessive team spirit mentality, much moreso than what I recall from years ago.
It's the internet. Pop culture has become one big parade of memes and fan cliques. I remember-- pre-home computer and pre-home video--when Disney animation was a rare and magical thing to view and "Disney News" magazine was the only source of park info. And being a Disney fan wasn't exactly "cool". Only my family and my best friend knew about my obsession with Disneyland. :D

dweezil78

I disagree. The intensity of Disney fandom is unprecedented. It's practically an industry, and fans at the parks (and online) today frequently express an obsessive team spirit mentality, much moreso than what I recall from years ago.

I agree the intensity has heightened for sure, but the need for being super fans has not. And I don't think it is at all exclusive to just Disney. I think this is across the board for anything people are fanatical about whether it be pop-culture, sports, politics, religion, etc. My point was though, this has been going on for quite a long time. It's just now people have so many ways to always be super-served whatever it is they're into. There are so many media channels, ways to meet other fans, etc, that it just continues to grow and grow and grow.

For better or worse, life and culture always continues to change and so do the corporations (big and small) that we work for in order to serve it.

No Name

Equally distressing is how the public never tires of it. I just read that Avatar Flight of Passage has been seeing 3 - 4 hour waits all this week, and could hit five hours as WDW heads into New Year’s. There's no denying that the strategy of focusing almost exclusively on IP driven themes and attractions at Disney Parks is working extremely well.

I am not sure how you can credit the irrelevant Avatar franchise for the ride's popularity. Perhaps it's popular because it's a very high quality ride? Most kids buying $60 banshee puppets in the gift shop have never seen the movie. Also, while the the long waits are certainly impacted by popularity, and newness, keep in mind that this is the lowest-capacity "E-ticket attraction" on property. Peter Pan's Flight gets far longer lines than the Little Mermaid ride too.

Also sorry, I really can't take your level of seriousness about such a little thing in the grand spectrum of even park changes (let alone life) seriously when you use that analogy. That's ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Not even going to argue your other points. Just want to let you know that, while I thought long and hard before using such as analogy, I do apologize if you found it offensive. But what does it matter? I'm already going to hell, as explained by sedati here.

Jones14

You know, I honestly wonder why they didn’t go with a Toy Story theme. They’ve got Mania right there, and they’re converting the carousel to Toy Story anyway; why not just have Andy build another toy coaster?

Then they wouldn’t be dealing with the awkwardness of a Carsland and a Monsters Inc. ride living outside of Pixar Pier, and they’d have a more cohesive theme, at least within the land itself.

TROR

You know, I honestly wonder why they didn’t go with a Toy Story theme. They’ve got Mania right there, and they’re converting the carousel to Toy Story anyway; why not just have Andy build another toy coaster?

Then they wouldn’t be dealing with the awkwardness of a Carsland and a Monsters Inc. ride living outside of Pixar Pier, and they’d have a more cohesive theme, at least within the land itself.
If it was themed to Toy Story, how would they advertise The Incredibles 2?

lazyboy97o

As much as I loathe Pixar Pier as a concept, I prefer it to just Toy Story. Few things are worse than the Toy Story Lands that have been built/are being built worldwide. They are bottom of the barrel garbage. I cannot stress it enough. There are zero redeeming qualities to Toy Story Lands.
And yet every time we see people insisting, “This one will be different! This one will be much better. You can’t judge it on ‘concept’ art.”

D

Deleted member 107043

As much as I loathe Pixar Pier as a concept, I prefer it to just Toy Story. Few things are worse than the Toy Story Lands that have been built/are being built worldwide. They are bottom of the barrel garbage. I cannot stress it enough. There are zero redeeming qualities to Toy Story Lands.

I dunno. At least with Toy Story Land you have a single cohesive theme and story. Maybe they are trash, but no one misses the point that you're in a land of giant toys. Maybe it'll be clearer when it's finished, but I'm not clear exactly what Paradise Pier is supposed to represent.

disnyfan89

Cause someone blurted out "Pixar Pier" in a meeting one day by accident instead of Paradise Pier and they all went, yeah... sure!

180º

I quite agree. This is the bright side, I guess.

I dunno. At least with Toy Story Land you have a single cohesive theme and story.
Ah, I prefer it the other way. I like synthesized lands like Fantasyland, where the environment is its own thing and not just meant to represent a single IP.

bluerhythym

I dunno. At least with Toy Story Land you have a single cohesive theme and story. Maybe they are trash, but no one misses the point that you're in a land of giant toys. Maybe it'll be clearer when it's finished, but I'm not clear exactly what Paradise Pier is supposed to represent.

As far as I'm concerned, Toy Story Land does for the Toy Story world what DCA 1.0 did for California. They're just interpreting the theme at face value, there's no nuance to the design.

Giant static statues everywhere, bare bones rides, and a very confusing sense of scale (if I'm supposed to be inside Toy Story, why am I so much smaller than all the toys?). I'm not saying that every land has to be perfectly immersive, I think much of the charm of Disneyland comes from the juxtaposition of different themes. But when you commit to such a novelty concept then you really have to commit. Honestly I'd rather have Pixar Pier than Toy Story Land here , the non-committal overlay gives me more hope that they'll be open to change a few years down the line.

Darkbeer1

Whenever the 3rd Gate discussion comes up, someone chimes in with 'The Toy Story lot is zoned to be a park.' I don't know if that's true, but it's often repeated.

It is not zoned. The Katella CM lot is part of the specific "DLR" zoned area, and where Disney can do pretty much whatever they want, as shown in the new Western Gateway project,

The former Strawberry Fields are still permanently zoned for agricultural use, with a temporary zone permit for parking.

https://www.anaheim.net/1017/Disneyland-Resort

Can Disney get it added? Of course yes, but with the current city council, no way.

But I can see Disney in a few years, making a deal to get the current land they own, including the Strawberry Farm land, the Harbor and Ball CM lot and the Manchester land and former Carousel Inn added to the Disneyland Resort Specific Plan in return for something Anaheim wants.

But things need to calm down in Anaheim, including addressing the major city staff problems and other non-Disney issues that need to be fixed before Disney could approach the city with the request.

D

Deleted member 107043

As far as I'm concerned, Toy Story Land does for the Toy Story world what DCA 1.0 did for California. They're just interpreting the theme at face value, there's no nuance to the design.

Giant static statues everywhere, bare bones rides, and a very confusing sense of scale (if I'm supposed to be inside Toy Story, why am I so much smaller than all the toys?). I'm not saying that every land has to be perfectly immersive, I think much of the charm of Disneyland comes from the juxtaposition of different themes. But when you commit to such a novelty concept then you really have to commit. Honestly I'd rather have Pixar Pier than Toy Story Land here , the non-committal overlay gives me more hope that they'll be open to change a few years down the line.

I don't disagree with your assessment of the existing Toy Story Lands, but that isn't what a Toy Story overlay of Paradise Pier would be.

Disneylover152

Cause someone blurted out "Pixar Pier" in a meeting one day by accident instead of Paradise Pier and they all went, yeah... sure!

Or maybe WDI was talking about redoing the Backlot to Pixar Studios and Bugs Land to Superhero Studios, and then when they moved on to Paradise Pier some guy accidentally said Pixar Pier. And then Chapek was like "I like that even better! Now we can add more Marvel and we can add Pixar, but cheaper.

Jones14

Since I brought it up, what I was thinking of was more an extension of the Victorian theming that surrounds Mania, and since they’re slapping names on rides rather than tearing down and starting over anyway, they may as well have just gone ahead and slapped Toy Story onto the Wheel and Screamin’.

It’d be the same essential thing as what we’re getting, but with less damage done to the park as a whole (which has established that single-IP lands are fine, if not necessarily ideal), and contains Toy Story to an isolated area.

A Victorian load station with a runaway toy coaster on Andy’s boardwalk playset could be done just as cheaply for a better result.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom