News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Curious Constance

I wonder if they will just make original programming for the streaming service eventually and things like "The Disney Channel" will go bye-bye.

As more people go to streaming and desert cable, I wonder if we will start seeing advertisements in streaming?

D

Deleted member 107043

I wonder if they will just make original programming for the streaming service eventually and things like "The Disney Channel" will go bye-bye.

As more people go to streaming and desert cable, I wonder if we will start seeing advertisements in streaming?

There are already adverts in streaming. Take Hulu (which Disney has a stake in) for example.

No Name

Sure, I'll give you that! Though I do think any semblance of any kind of seaside/nautical theme was done away with when they did the big renovations that saw the removal of the Maliboomer, Pizza Oom Mow Mow, etc. There really hasn't been much of a unifying theme other than 'pier' and the cheap late 90s quality of the remaining opening day stuff like Ariel's Grotto, the carousel, and CS station are pretty jarring compared to everything else that's been spruced up.

While I can't really defend either project and think other choices could have been made, I think people do seem to have unrealistic expectations though of some kind of elaborate reasoning for why attractions exist on a pier though. None of these attractions really provide opportunity for much immersion. So in the end you're either left with the generic (i.e California Screamin) or something the company can tie back to something people have a fondness for. Whether it's Mickey, Triton, Incredibles, or Woody, the limitations of adding any kind of character/story will be the same for all those attractions.

No one had this type of criticism when the Orange Stringer became Mickey's Silly Symphonies or Mickey & Friends were added to the Fun Wheel or all of a sudden Goofy had a Sky School (even when there was already an aviation themed area already in the park no less). I honestly think that forum dwellers have some kind of resentment towards Pixar for any number of reasons... it was an acquisition, it's been too prominently featured in the parks, etc. Us older grumps write off the fact that there are now generations of kids who have grown up with Pixar as their Disney and have more of an affinity towards those characters than Mickey & Friends.

First difference is that those changes didn't add linear narratives. The Silly Symphony Swings, for example, just has a statue of Mickey and pictures of characters. It doesn't attempt to tell a linear narrative about you saving Mickey from getting beat up by Pete, because that wouldn't fit the ride setting, structure, or movement. It would leave guests with a weird taste.

Second difference is that those changes helped unify the place and time of the land, and as a result, give it purpose. This new project adds certain modern elements yet enhances certain classic elements. Both look nice, but so do steaks and cakes, doesn't mean you'd want to eat both in one mouthful. It would literally leave guests with a weird taste.

Lastly, I think Pixar is totally a part of the company, which is exactly why the name bothers me. There's practically zero difference between WDAS and Pixar-orginated franchises, so why segregate the two? Why the hell does it matter which studio a character orginated from? It's unnecessarily exclusionary and represents a misunderstanding of franchise vs. theme. It's like black people not being allowed to sit on the front of the bus. Yes, I did just make that analogy. For the record, I would be just as annoyed if it became WDAS Pier.

At least that aspect fits the land's time period...
ppproblem.PNG

dweezil78

First difference is that those changes didn't add linear narratives. The Silly Symphony Swings, for example, just has a statue of Mickey and pictures of characters. It doesn't attempt to tell a linear narrative about you saving Mickey from getting beat up by Pete, because that wouldn't fit the ride setting, structure, or movement. It would leave guests with a weird taste.

Oh c'mon... There's the same level of 'linear narratives' in the swings and Goofy's Sky School -- which is to say, not much at all. But if you go by what WDI says, with the swings you are part of a concert Mickey is conducting when a tornado sweeps through (i.e. the swing) similar to the original short. With Sky School, you are literally experiencing just that -- a sky school run by Goofy, with step by step instructions now to fly (or how not to). Do most guests ever realize these stories are here? Nah... But they are for those who like to pay attention. The same will apply for Incredibles. To the average guest, it's new music and lights. To those who look around, they'll see a little vignette at the beginning too to further the experience just a tiny bit. Are any of these experience deep or anything that require brain power from guests? Of course not. And sure... a ferris wheel is always going to be just a ferris wheel I guess. :p

Second difference is that those changes helped unify the place and time of the land, and as a result, give it purpose. This new project adds certain modern elements yet enhances certain classic elements. Both look nice, but so do steaks and cakes, doesn't mean you'd want to eat both in one mouthful. It would literally leave guests with a weird taste.

While I agree the swings were a nice improvement (even though I thought the orange was kinda cool/quirky), Sky School is still a giant eyesore POC that should be scrapped. They're not scrapping the Victorian facades and it's not like we had much in the way of anything worthwhile with the current CS station.The fun wheel looks nice for WOC, but ultimately, all they did was swap places w/ Mickey and a sun on the wheel and coaster there. So again...I think we're breaking even. Not an improvement, but certainly not some big clash unless you're among the group who is just over Pixar. That's a valid reason to not be into it and everyone's entitled to feel that way. But when people try to find some larger philosophical reason to be against this because of a story/theme clash I can't help but roll my eyes over it.

Lastly, I think Pixar is totally a part of the company, which is exactly why the name bothers me. There's practically zero difference between WDAS and Pixar-orginated franchises, so why segregate the two? Why the hell does it matter which studio a character orginated from? It's unnecessarily exclusionary and represents a misunderstanding of franchise vs. theme. It's like black people not being allowed to sit on the front of the bus. Yes, I did just make that analogy. For the record, I would be just as annoyed if it became WDAS Pier.

While I think it's absolutely possible for Pixar and WDAS to co-exist, I also couldn't disagree more that there's practically zero difference between the two. Pixar films/characters have a very specific vibe and direction to them and they stand on their own in the same way Marvel and Star Wars do.

Also sorry, I really can't take your level of seriousness about such a little thing in the grand spectrum of even park changes (let alone life) seriously when you use that analogy. That's ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Last edited:

Suspirian

Oh c'mon... There's the same level of 'linear narratives' in the swings and Goofy's Sky School -- which is to say, not much at all. But if you go by what WDI says, with the swings you are part of a concert Mickey is conducting when a tornado sweeps through (i.e. the swing) similar to the original short. With Sky School, you are literally experiencing just that -- a sky school run by Goofy, with step by step instructions now to fly (or how not to). Do most guests ever realize these stories are here? Nah... But they are for those who like to pay attention. The same will apply for Incredibles. To the average guest, it's new music and lights. To those who look around, they'll see a little vignette at the beginning too to further the experience just a tiny bit. Are any of these experience deep or anything that require brain power from guests? Of course not. And sure... a ferris wheel is always going to be just a ferris wheel I guess. :p

While I agree the swings were a nice improvement (even though I thought the orange was kinda cool/quirky), Sky School is still a giant eyesore POC that should be scrapped. They're not scrapping the Victorian facades and it's not like we had much in the way of anything worthwhile with the current CS station.The fun wheel looks nice for WOC, but ultimately, all they did was swap places w/ Mickey and a sun on the wheel and coaster there. So again...I think we're breaking even. Not an improvement, but certainly not some big clash unless you're among the group who is just over Pixar. That's a valid reason to not be into it and everyone's entitled to feel that way. But when people try to find some larger philosophical reason to be against this because of a story/theme clash I can't help but roll my eyes over it.

While I think it's absolutely possible for Pixar and WDAS to co-exist, I also couldn't disagree more that there's practically zero difference between the two. Pixar films/characters have a very specific vibe and direction to them and they stand on their own in the same way Marvel and Star Wars do.

Also sorry, I really can't take your level of seriousness about such a little thing in the grand spectrum of even park changes (let alone life) seriously when you use that analogy. That's ridiculous and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Thats fair. I still think the mid century modern aesthetic is jarring. If they kept with the victorian look like Toy Story and the other attractions listed I'd probably have a slightly different opinion on the project.

I also agree with that analogy being in poor taste.

dweezil78

Thats fair. I still think the mid century modern aesthetic is jarring. If they kept with the victorian look like Toy Story and the other attractions listed I'd probably have a slightly different opinion on the project.

I also agree with that analogy being in poor taste.

Yeah... it's a weird choice I suppose. If there was one thing I could say could be out place it is that. However, I will also say that just about ANYTHING is better than this:

CSQueue.jpg

Curious Constance

Never said it was justified. Just that what we're getting is no better, no worse. Being outraged over these changes for something other than a dislike of Pixar is like freaking out over a new body refresh on a Toyota Corolla you're not pumped about.

I get that you're trying to keep things in perspective, which is always good. But this is a Disney forum, and if we can't express discontent with a decision we don't agree with, what can we do?

Also I don't know that I'd call myself outraged, because I'm not losing any sleep over this, and I don't dislike Pixar, or at least I never did, until they decided to shove it down my throat at every turn, but that doesn't mean I can't be unhappy about these changes. Just because what's there now isn't sublime, doesn't mean I can't or shouldn't be unhappy with what's replacing it, even if it'll be more aesthetically pleasing.

Pretty soon the parks are going to be nothing but the latest fad. No history, or nostalgia, or anything that's not branded. It's a dumbing down to extract every last dollar conceivably possible from every last person. That bugs me. And that's a perfectly reasonable response to have.

lazyboy97o

Never said it was justified. Just that what we're getting is no better, no worse. Being outraged over these changes for something other than a dislike of Pixar is like freaking out over a new body refresh on a Toyota Corolla you're not pumped about.
As supposed themed entertainment, as has been stated repeatedly and ignored, the philosophy is worse.

dweezil78

I get that you're trying to keep things in perspective, which is always good. But this is a Disney forum, and if we can't express discontent with a decision we don't agree with, what can we do?

Also I don't know that I'd call myself outraged, because I'm not losing any sleep over this, and I don't dislike Pixar, or at least I never did, until they decided to shove it down my throat at every turn, but that doesn't mean I can't be unhappy about these changes. Just because what's there now isn't sublime, doesn't mean I can't or shouldn't be unhappy with what's replacing it, even if it'll be more aesthetically pleasing.

Pretty soon the parks are going to be nothing but the latest fad. No history, or nostalgia, or anything that's not branded. It's a dumbing down to extract every last dollar conceivably possible from every last person. That bugs me. And that's a perfectly reasonable response to have.

For sure, don't get me wrong...everyone can express opinions and discontent! I think being PO'd about constant IP changes and Pixarfication of areas is totally legit and even though I do understand the business rationale behind it, I still would much rather get things that are new and original.

On the other hand, I just think it's totally ridiculous when people try to get overly deep into theme philosophy and placemaking on an area that was never given that much care or thought by the people who made it in the first place. This isn't NOS or Adventureland we're talking about, it's a bunch of carnival rides (some better than others). I like the Victorian facades they added and some of the changes that have been made over the years, but you know what they say about putting lipstick on a pig... I can't really get too bummed out just because someone wants to change the shade of lipstick. :)

D

Deleted member 107043

Equally distressing is how the public never tires of it. I just read that Avatar Flight of Passage has been seeing 3 - 4 hour waits all this week, and could hit five hours as WDW heads into New Year’s. There's no denying that the strategy of focusing almost exclusively on IP driven themes and attractions at Disney Parks is working extremely well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curious Constance

For sure, don't get me wrong...everyone can express opinions and discontent! I think being PO'd about constant IP changes and Pixarfication of areas is totally legit and even though I do understand the business rationale behind it, I still would much rather get things that are new and original.

On the other hand, I just think it's totally ridiculous when people try to get overly deep into theme philosophy and placemaking on an area that was never given that much care or thought by the people who made it in the first place. This isn't NOS or Adventureland we're talking about, it's a bunch of carnival rides (some better than others). I like the Victorian facades they added and some of the changes that have been made over the years, but you know what they say about putting lipstick on a pig... I can't really get too bummed out just because someone wants to change the shade of lipstick. :)

Equally distressing is how the public never tires of it. I just read that Avatar Flight of Passage has been seeing 3 - 4 hour waits all this week, and could hit five hours as WDW heads into New Year’s. There's no denying that the strategy of focusing almost exclusively on IP driven themes and attractions at Disney Parks is working extremely well.

I also can see the business decisions behind these choices, as the public does seem to eat it up. Not to mention the synergy it creates across multiple money making platforms. People seem to be taking fandom to the same level as religion lately. It's kind of distressing. You can't just enjoy a movie, book, or TV show anymore, you have to be ready and willing to accept and welcome it into every aspect of your life. Decorate with it, dress with it, every object you buy better have the logo on it. It's gross and causing me to check out of it all together.

dweezil78

I also can see the business decisions behind these choices, as the public does seem to eat it up. Not to mention the synergy it creates across multiple money making platforms. People seem to be taking fandom to the same level as religion lately. It's kind of distressing. You can't just enjoy a movie, book, or TV show anymore, you have to be ready and willing to accept and welcome it into every aspect of your life. Decorate with it, dress with it, every object you buy better have the logo on it. It's gross and causing me to check out of it all together.

I honestly don't think it's anything new. We just have so many more media channels at our disposal now, that's the main difference. But certainly the rise in fan conventions, internet forums, etc, have blown up fandom exponentially over the last few decades (and the need to super-serve these fans). But you can go back at least as far as Beatlemania and see similar crazy behavior from the masses. :)

Curious Constance

I honestly don't think it's anything new. We just have so many more media channels at our disposal now, that's the main difference. But certainly the rise in fan conventions, internet forums, etc, have blown up fandom exponentially over the last few decades (and the need to super-serve these fans). But you can go back at least as far as Beatlemania and see similar crazy behavior from the masses. :)

Come to think of it, as a kid I don't think I owned anything that didn't have New Kids on the Block plastered on it. No Shame.

I guess I grew up. What's wrong with everyone else?

TROR

Yeah... it's a weird choice I suppose. If there was one thing I could say could be out place it is that. However, I will also say that just about ANYTHING is better than this:

CSQueue.jpg

In all fairness, it looks like this now. Truthfully, I think this is actually better than what we're getting. This isn't perfect, but it matches better than a midcentury house. Should also be noted that the actual queue isn't being enclosed, either, so it doesn't even solve that problem. The umbrellas are just replaced with overhangs.
IMG_6680MiceChat-Disneyland-0122-1.jpg

mickEblu

This really isn’t anything new though. I think most of us embrace IP if the theme /story fit and the end result is quality work. See Indiana Jones at DL. I think most of us have a problem with the Pixar Piers and GOTG overlays of the world. Not so much Pandora and Indiana Jones.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom