Paint the night is not moving to Disney World. Stop bumping this.

brb1006

"Making things up" yea... Whatever you think It does look worse, If you look if you have eyes you can actually see cables sticking down off the drum float in Disneyland but ofc your lazy eyes can't :cat: Maybe if you looked at disneyland's behind the scenes you would think different kid.
HauntedPirate has been going to WDW since the 70's since he isn't actually a "kid".

TTA94

I lost track honestly what, or who even started the whole PTN going to WDW thing in the first place? Lol. Wasn't it the site that shall not be named? Or was it "said person" on here and twitter? Or all connected? Lol.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Someone started the rumor of PTN coming to WDW. Multiple insiders here and knowledgeable posters on other sites posted that it isn't happening. Said person got banned, came back and continued to push the rumor, using Twitter accounts and tram drivers and "a parade exec" as proof. Insiders still stand by PTN not being shipped to WDW. One person continues to believe his PTN fantasy, and - SHOCKING!!!! - still has not responded to Martin's queries (not that I care, he's joined a very exclusive list of people on my 'Ignore' list).

discos

After being in the park a couple weeks ago and seeing how packed the hub was 2 hours before HEA even started I don't think a night time parade would be a good idea at this point in the park. Would I like to see a nighttime parade, sure! But with the mobs of crowds I couldn't see how a parade could run through the hub and main street an hour before the show

TTA94

After being in the park a couple weeks ago and seeing how packed the hub was 2 hours before HEA even started I don't think a night time parade would be a good idea at this point in the park. Would I like to see a nighttime parade, sure! But with the mobs of crowds I couldn't see how a parade could run through the hub and main street an hour before the show

It's been said that the hub redesign was made with a new nighttime show and a new parade in mind. Not that there will be a parade anytime soon to worry about. It will be interesting though to see if the HEA crowds change after summer.

Last edited:

discos

Yet they managed to run a nighttime parade and fireworks on two of the busiest nights of the year (4th of July and New Year's Eve) without worrying about crowds for years. How is it that Magic Kingdom suddenly can't run both? Did the ops team ship the crowd management handbook back to DL with the MSEP last year?
When the wait for space mountain just before and during the fireworks is literally a walk on during peak season you know you're dealing with some very high crowds in the hub. I've never seen crowds like this in hub and I've been to WDW many many times. I highly doubt during 4th of July and NYE that any of the big attractions are walk ons even in the midst of Fireworks and parades.

Disone

When the wait for space mountain just before and during the fireworks is literally a walk on during peak season you know you're dealing with some very high crowds in the hub. I've never seen crowds like this in hub and I've been to WDW many many times. I highly doubt during 4th of July and NYE that any of the big attractions are walk ons even in the midst of Fireworks and parades.

Well true but on 4th of July and New Years the crowds are also much larger. So you can still have a very packed Hub and long lines at Space Mountain. That said I do wonder how did you witness the crowds at the Hub if you were walking onto Space Mountain during the fireworks? Or vice versa. I'm going to start looking at the My Disney Experience app wait times during fireworks.

Honestly Magic Kingdom has a long and storied history of doing fireworks and night parades. From a random Tuesday in the middle of February to a Fourth of July Saturday they have pulled this off. I'm sure they could continue to do so even with Happily Ever After replacing Wishes.

discos

Well true but on 4th of July and New Years the crowds are also much larger. So you can still have a very packed Hub and long lines at Space Mountain.

Honestly Magic Kingdom has a long and storied history of doing fireworks and night parades. From a random Tuesday in the middle of February to a Fourth of July Saturday they have pulled this off. I'm sure they could continue to do so even with Happily Ever After replacing Wishes.
Oh I'm well aware! I've been to MK many times when they've run two performances of a nighttime parade PLUS a firework show and never have I seen crowds in the hub like a couple weeks ago. Again, I'd love a new nighttime parade and think the park should get it but I can't see how right now they'd be able to run that parade through there an hour before the show. They'd really need to push the start of the night parade much earlier

Disone

They would do it just as they always have. Not allow you to stand in the streets. Then as the parade clears allow you to stand in the streets. Having the parade first at 9 and then the fireworks second at 10 actually helps with fireworks crowd management.

TTA94

I guess we will find out how MK handles the HEA crowds with a parade when we get a shocking Disney Blog post next month around D23 saying The Paint The Night Parade is coming to Walt Disney Worlds Magic Kingdom, debuting October 9th! Hahahaha :p Sorry couldn't resist :)

jrhwdw

I guess we will find out how MK handles the HEA crowds with a parade when we get a shocking Disney Blog post next month around D23 saying The Paint The Night Parade is coming to Walt Disney Worlds Magic Kingdom, debuting October 9th! Hahahaha :p Sorry couldn't resist :)
Or it turns out to be that MK just had a one year hiatus for MSEP!
If only something good was true!

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I guess we will find out how MK handles the HEA crowds with a parade when we get a shocking Disney Blog post next month around D23 saying The Paint The Night Parade is coming to Walt Disney Worlds Magic Kingdom, debuting October 9th! Hahahaha :p Sorry couldn't resist :)[/QUOTE

You've got it all wrong. My best friend's sister's boyfriend knows this guy who hung out with this girl who talked to someone who heard from a tram driver who saw on Twitter that PTN is coming to WDW on September 12. It's definitely solid info. ;)

CGriz

Oh I'm well aware! I've been to MK many times when they've run two performances of a nighttime parade PLUS a firework show and never have I seen crowds in the hub like a couple weeks ago. Again, I'd love a new nighttime parade and think the park should get it but I can't see how right now they'd be able to run that parade through there an hour before the show. They'd really need to push the start of the night parade much earlier

The crowds aren't preventing them from running the parade. If they had a parade to run right now they would be able to clear the hub. It's not like the crowds would refuse to move and they would cancel the parade. Right now they have a brand new popular fireworks show and Pandora just opened up, so they didn't bring a parade back to take away from those two things. Not having the parade allows more people to get their premier spot to see HEA. Also, if they brought a parade back, whether it be PTN, a new concept, or MSEP, a majority of people would spend their nights at MK seeing both the parade and HEA (in my opinion). That would take away people from visiting Pandora at night and make it harder for all to get good spots for HEA. Not to mention it's also saving them money by not running the parade. My guess is they bring back a parade sometime late summer or fall after HEA and Pandora have been open for a bit. Plus there's no greater way to make people want something more than by taking the parade away for a bit after we've had it for so long, just natural human nature. The parade isn't running because it can't be done because of crowds, I just think they're trying to play their cards right.

grnflash

The crowds aren't preventing them from running the parade. If they had a parade to run right now they would be able to clear the hub. It's not like the crowds would refuse to move and they would cancel the parade. Right now they have a brand new popular fireworks show and Pandora just opened up, so they didn't bring a parade back to take away from those two things. Not having the parade allows more people to get their premier spot to see HEA. Also, if they brought a parade back, whether it be PTN, a new concept, or MSEP, a majority of people would spend their nights at MK seeing both the parade and HEA (in my opinion). That would take away people from visiting Pandora at night and make it harder for all to get good spots for HEA. Not to mention it's also saving them money by not running the parade. My guess is they bring back a parade sometime late summer or fall after HEA and Pandora have been open for a bit. Plus there's no greater way to make people want something more than by taking the parade away for a bit after we've had it for so long, just natural human nature. The parade isn't running because it can't be done because of crowds, I just think they're trying to play their cards right.

I'm sorry but this kinda cracks me up because I don't think WDW has any cards to play. As best as I've read of what has been credibly reported/speculated:

*DLR decided they wanted MSEP back to fill the PTN refurb downtime. WDW didn't up and decide to send it back, for crowding, cost, better HEA viewing or any other reason. Some reports indicate they were caught flat footed by DL's decision, regardless it was DL's decision.

*Sounds like TDO did want PTN but TDA wasn't gonna play that game again. DL even took on the shipping/refurb costs for poor old, broken down, terribly maintained MSEP....probably cheaper than leaving that in WDW's hands.

*TDO does have a new parade designed...but they're too cheap to greenlight the funding for it. Sure no parade saves money, but that's a consequence of their cheapness, not the driving factor to go parade-less. A new parade is a card though that could be played, that it's not is about money and nothing else.

Hub crowding, viewing spots, attention for new attractions, ramping up desire for a new parade by going without, yada, yada have nothing to do with any of this and imo it's incredible one would think otherwise. Poor maintenance and planning along with a general cheap attitude led to the situation.

FWIW, I recognize Disney is a publicly traded company with profits as its primary reason for existence and don't get all up in arms about such decisions. But I also recognize what these decisions are realistically about, instead of dreaming up some customer benefit explanations.

CGriz

I'm sorry but this kinda cracks me up because I don't think WDW has any cards to play. As best as I've read of what has been credibly reported/speculated:

*DLR decided they wanted MSEP back to fill the PTN refurb downtime. WDW didn't up and decide to send it back, for crowding, cost, better HEA viewing or any other reason. Some reports indicate they were caught flat footed by DL's decision, regardless it was DL's decision.

*Sounds like TDO did want PTN but TDA wasn't gonna play that game again. DL even took on the shipping/refurb costs for poor old, broken down, terribly maintained MSEP....probably cheaper than leaving that in WDW's hands.

*TDO does have a new parade designed...but they're too cheap to greenlight the funding for it. Sure no parade saves money, but that's a consequence of their cheapness, not the driving factor to go parade-less. A new parade is a card though that could be played, that it's not is about money and nothing else.

Hub crowding, viewing spots, attention for new attractions, ramping up desire for a new parade by going without, yada, yada have nothing to do with any of this and imo it's incredible one would think otherwise. Poor maintenance and planning along with a general cheap attitude led to the situation.

FWIW, I recognize Disney is a publicly traded company with profits as its primary reason for existence and don't get all up in arms about such decisions. But I also recognize what these decisions are realistically about, instead of dreaming up some customer benefit explanations.

I took the customer benefit route and didn't deep dive with what I was saying but I'll explain it more in the business sense this time. IMO I don't think poor planning and cheapness are part of why there's no parade right now. I think it's smart planning and a good business decision.

As with anything they create they have to spend money to build it, and after it's built they want return on investment. They want to get their money back. Right now HEA is very popular and the hub and mainstreet are crowded with people a good hour to two hours before the show. With people sitting there so long, eventually members of the group are going to get restless or hungry. So they take turns either shopping in the stores or getting food. The most food and stores are on mainstreet which is where everyone is staying. Their target audience is all packed into one spot. If they had a parade people would not be able to sit for multiple hours and all pack in, they would be spread out on the parade route. Granted there's food and stores along the route, but there's a reason all those shops are the first thing you see when you come in and the last you see when you leave. They're getting their money back by allowing these huge crowds to stay centrally located for multiple hours and shopping/eating. I say that they want to give people a chance to see HEA from a creative side, but from the business side that's how it looks. So that's what I meant.

The same goes for Pandora. Having HEA at Magic Kingdom will pull enough people away from Pandora at night that the crowds won't be completely insane. Granted they're already high, but if Wishes was still at Magic Kingdom then the only brand new night time offering would be at Pandora and everyone would flock there and it would be too much to handle. They've got the right amount right now where it's packed and everyone is going there and spending money on food and merchandise. They're getting their money back from their investment that is Pandora. There's a reason Pandora has had EMH since it's opening from 11 pm - 1 am since it's opening. They want people there at night, that's the whole point. That's why HEA is at 9pm, because it gives an hour and a half to get over to Pandora and be able to spend a decent amount of time there for people to justify going. Yes they can go during the day, but they want people to come back at night too. Now imagine if MK had HEA and a new parade. The parade would be at 9, HEA at 10, and by the time people left MK and got to AK it would be 1115-1130, and with the ridiculous wait times no one would go after MK. Therefore they lose that money. The same goes for someone who isn't park hopping. MK is the most visited theme park and there are a lot of families with kids. If the parents ask the kids whether they want to go to MK and see a parade with their favorite characters and a fireworks show or go to Pandora, I'd bet they'd pick MK almost every time. And chances are if they see it once they'll want to go again, and most trips are short so there's a chance those families don't spend a lot of time in Pandora and spend money. Kids are important because they're the ones who want all the souvenirs and food. Their parents either get it for them right away, or even if the parents say no the kids bug their parents until the parents can't take anymore and break down and buy it. With the current setup it makes it easier to justify seeing both, whether it be in the same night or different nights. They see both, everything works out, and they make money.

As far as the cheap aspect goes I don't think that's the case. They just invested in Pandora, HEA, all the Hollywood Studios projects, resort projects/refurbishments, transportation, etc. It's a smart move to wait to spend money on a parade until they make sure the current projects are a success and they get return on investment. Look what just happened at ESPN, which is Disney, they invested too much and it backfired and they had to fire a lot of people. With that loss and everything else they've invested in they need to be smart with the money. Tie all that in with everything I just said above and it makes perfect sense. So yes I did put it in a customer benefit perspective, but it also makes sense in business sense too. Sure Disney has plenty of money, but they don't keep that money if they're not smart about it.

thundermtnGOAT

The amount of overthinking in this thread is incredible.

DL wanted MSEP back. Because they still technically owned it and were requesting it, DL had to agree to pay the shipping costs and WDW had to oblige. All this thought about crowding, spending money on Main Street, operational costs for the parade, etc. are all side effects - not primary reasoning for the parade leaving.

Is WDW saving money by not having MSEP? Sure. But that, HEA, Pandora, spreading crowds is not why it's gone and we shouldn't pretend like it is.

Should/why would Disneyland have pulled the plug on MSEP at WDW to fill what was initially supposed to be a 6 month gap when they had no night parade for 18 years? Now that's a question worth exploring.

thundermtnGOAT

Also, everyone here is acting like WDW treated MSEP poorly, didn't maintain it, etc. That is not entirely true.

WDW does perform regular maintenance on its parade floats, otherwise they wouldn't last a year. They are kept inside buildings. They are maintained/receive mechanical work in those buildings. Those are in and of themselves what you term to be "float maintenance facilities." It's not like parade floats are sent to these mythical special buildings to receive maintenance. If they need severe work that can't be done on site they have places they can be sent to so it can be done. Central shops up north or where have you. Spectro's situation was incredibly unfortunate and ridiculous, but many of you let that one incident define the entirety of TDO when it comes to parades. Let's not forget that some of the floats in the holiday parades have been around for decades and some are still in great shape.

MSEP is flat out old. The parade is so old that certain parts are no longer made and, if they need to be replaced, TDO has to pay companies to fabricate those parts. It's not a cheap operation for anyone to run, like any night parade. Was it ran in the rain too many times? Probabaly. But MSEP was maintained and worked on as needed. Could they have done even better? Yeah sure. But it's not like it wasn't touched and left to rot those 6 years it was there. It's just really, really old.

Last edited:

thundermtnGOAT

I still find it fishy that DLR has yet to officially say anything regarding PTN one way or another. The only information we have is purely conjecture, rumors, and speculation. Fantasmic! has been closed for more than a year, but it was never taken down from the website like PTN. It's like it never even existed.

GiveMeTheMusic

Should/why would Disneyland have pulled the plug on MSEP at WDW to fill what was initially supposed to be a 6 month gap when they had no night parade for 18 years? Now that's a question worth exploring.

Because Fantasmic was down for refurb, Soundsational needed a refurb, Pixar Play Parade went down due to GOTG construction and they were running a shortened fireworks show. They wanted MSEP because they had no other parades in either park for a set period of time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom