Paint the night is not moving to Disney World. Stop bumping this.

brb1006

So glad I went over last night for the final run. We were in a quieter spot so the crowds weren't quite as insane, but you could still feel the high energy. The Cast Members (both performers and audience control) were really putting their hearts into it. My personal favorite was the Fairy Godmother signing "I love you". And of course, my beloved Elliott.

I know this parade is not well-loved by the general group here, but MSEP will always be *the* nighttime parade to me. I've never liked Spectro, but I can understand the passion toward it. I just hope we can get a nighttime parade back in the park soon, in whatever form that may be. :)
"Don't like Spectro"

You said WHAT?

brb1006

The crowds were just great last night in my area. Everyone was clapping as the float would go by and cheering to the cast members on the parade. The crowd control cast members were high energy and trying to get us pumped up, it was great.
Reminds me of the final day of the Jammin Jungle Parade

brb1006

So sad it's gone! :cry:
We all have our favs and un-favs, but for me the MSEP is Horizons all over again. Some other night parades are good, some day parades are fine, but the MSEP is really the one and only for me. The music, the floats, the sights and sounds - it's an integral part of the MK experience, I think it tired or outdated no more than Pirates or Small World.

I'm going to be my grumpy me and say how happy I am I waved my teary-eyed goodbye two weeks ago.

If it is the last time I see and hear the MSEP, I want to see and hear the parade, not an unruly screaming mob outscreaming the parade.
MSEP will be at Disneyland

brb1006

I am right there with you! I know we're the minority, but I wasn't a big fan of Spectro at all.

I'm a big fan of the MSEP as well, although I prefer it's pre-2000s 'makeover'.
I can totally relate to what you are saying as MSEP is also 'my' nighttime parade.

As 'pretty' as SpectroMagic was, and how technically impressive 'Paint The Night' is, neither can hold a candle next to 'the original' in my heart.
Everything about MSEP was innovative and impressive back in the day, and although the current edition has been 'cuteified' it still possesses a charm that the newer night parades don't radiate, in my own opinion.

It's a personal preference thing for sure, but for me, nothing says 'Disney nighttime spectacular' better then those editions of MSEP in the 80s and 90 s.
:)

Interested in seeing how it is presented when it runs back at Disneyland.
Might just have to go back out to experience that.....
;)

-
MSEP bores me compared to how breathtaking Spectro was.

Figments Friend

MSEP bores me compared to how breathtaking Spectro was.

If you are only familiar with the current incarnation, then yes.
MSEP in the 80s and 90s was terrific....exspecially when WDW had its own units.

The version that just ended its run at WDW was the revised parade floats originally made for Disneyland.
Those were built on a smaller scale to fit that particular Parks more compact surroundings and narrower parade routes.
WDW used to have its own copy of MSEP, nearly exact, but the floats were built on a slightly larger scale to match the larger scale of the buildings and roadways of the Magic Kingdom in Orlando.
There were also a few different units between the coasts.
THAT version was great.

WDW lost its larger MSEP units when they were shipped overseas to one of the Asian parks and then eventually junked ( sunk, actually...in the harbor...).
Disneyland kept it's units because of it's historic importance, and thank the Gods they still mostly exsist today.

When I see the post 2000 revised version that just finished its run, it is not as charming to me as the previous version.
The 'updated' music is terrible ( the 70s score is the best ) and the added 'enhancements' are distracting in my opinion.

To each their own.
:)

-

GrammieBee

I guess we're in the minority, but we liked both Spectromagic and the various versions of the Main Street Electric Parade. Each had it's own unique qualities and we would have a hard time choosing between them.

To us the really sad part is that there will be no night parade at all. The night time parades, in either form, created part of what made the Magic Kingdom so special . The music, the lights, the excitement --it was a magical time in the park. I hope it is not lost forever.

Last edited:

Ag11gani

I guess we're in the minority, but we liked both Spectromagic and the Main Street Electric Parade. Each had it's own unique qualities and we would have a hard time choosing between them.

To us the really sad part is that there will be no night parade at all. The night time parades, in either form, created part of the magic which made the Magic Kingdom so special . The music, the lights, the excitement --it was a magical time in the park. I hope it is not lost forever.

I agree, as I like both MSEP and Spectro, although I an not a fan of PTN, from the music to too much screens it's not for me. I just watched the video that was posted by wdwmagic and can I say I just realised how good that parade is, even though it is 44 or so years old. Spectromagic was great though and it was sad to see it go, altough would everyone still love it as much if it was running to this day, with outdated characters? It would still be beautiful though. All I hope we get a night parade eventually that does both parades (and Dreamlights) justice.

CaptainAmerica

I hate to ask, but I've been out of the loop and I'd rather not scour thousands of posts... What's the current best guess / rumor about a nighttime replacement? Timing?

disney4life2008

The finale is the highlight of the parade

Even the name "spectromagic" brings tears to my eyes. Everything about the parade from Jiminy Cricket introducing it to the closing with Jiminy Cricket was sheer perfection. The performers were all in sync no matter the parade route, when the loop would come all would follow. The finale floats were amazing. And the music, omg the music. There will never be another parade like spectromagic. My problem with parades now is they rely too heavily on video screens. I do like the LED moving faces but video screens take away and cheapen the parade.

disney4life2008

I hate to ask, but I've been out of the loop and I'd rather not scour thousands of posts... What's the current best guess / rumor about a nighttime replacement? Timing?

None for the forseeable future. Though, there is speculation Paint the Night may come to Orlando but that has even been shot down. I would imagine disney is not looking at a replacement because as long as it is not running, they are saving money. And wishes still occurs nightly.

yellowrocket

WDW lost its larger MSEP units when they were shipped overseas to one of the Asian parks and then eventually junked ( sunk, actually...in the harbor...).-

I'm pretty sure that Walt Disney World's Main Street Electrical Parade was shipped to Disneyland Paris in the early 1990s. It ran there for a while before the park replaced it with Tokyo Disneyland's Fantillusion.

Cmdr_Crimson

IMO the reason the newer version just suck-diddly-ucks....Is the music....

Now..The original version...Yes....

And then there's......*Ugh* That new version I could give to blahs about....

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

Even the name "spectromagic" brings tears to my eyes. Everything about the parade from Jiminy Cricket introducing it to the closing with Jiminy Cricket was sheer perfection. The performers were all in sync no matter the parade route, when the loop would come all would follow. The finale floats were amazing. And the music, omg the music. There will never be another parade like spectromagic. My problem with parades now is they rely too heavily on video screens. I do like the LED moving faces but video screens take away and cheapen the parade.

Plus the best parade theme song ever. If I could find a version of that with the character voices edited out, I'd be in Disney heaven.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom