Paint the night is not moving to Disney World. Stop bumping this.

BrianLo

Really? OK then. If you are the 1% that thinks that (along with the crazy idea Diagon Alley isn't the best themed land in Orlando) I'll be part of the 1% that isn't exactly a fan of PTN.

Dreamlights is by far the best nighttime parade ever done IMO.

I'll back up @RSoxNo1, there is something to be said for PTN's soundtrack and a few of the newer highly impressive floats. The update to Dreamlights helped a ton and certainly from a length perspective it trounces PTN.

I like both a lot, but I don't fault anyone for preferring one or the other.

Maybe they should Borrow this Fill-in PARADE from tokyo.(Nightfall Glow)

On my first visit I didn't realize what I was waiting for. I think they rolled out only three floats and my reaction was certainly less than positive.

There was this artwork that appeared not to long ago... One would assume its for TDLs Dreamlights, and yes it has some Dreamlights floats in it, but WDW is also no stranger to reusing TDL floats mixed in with new floats...

Let's nip this one in the bud. It was for a Docomo advert (Japanese wireless company that sponsors the parade). It has absolutely nothing to do with WDW!

image-jpeg.142757

jpeden

In the Parks
No
I just saw on Twitter that the PTN floats won't fit in WDW's parade storage. Not sure if this is true or not but if it is, it explains why it is t coming.

indybill

I just saw on Twitter that the PTN floats won't fit in WDW's parade storage. Not sure if this is true or not but if it is, it explains why it is t coming.

What I heard from someone else (again, rumors are rumors) is that the issue is that Mack can't make the turn around Town Square because WDW has curbs in the way when he turns while DL doesn't.

Crazydisneyfanluke

I'm also shocked at the fact tons of people seem to think this version of MSEP is actually "ours". They have no idea it's the Disneyland original which is really bizarre to me
WDW original MESP ended up in DLP. I believe after that, it was supposed to be sent to HKDL but never made it.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
What I heard from someone else (again, rumors are rumors) is that the issue is that Mack can't make the turn around Town Square because WDW has curbs in the way when he turns while DL doesn't.

Also, couldn't they just send it without Mack? I know that's like the big thing but it's better than nothing. Also, I think the Orlando Visitor's Bureau is going to want some money back as I just saw their new commercial on the olympics for "visit Orlando" and I'm pretty sure MSEP is in the commercial. Ironic much?

brb1006

I came across this video that had a different version of the PTN music. I guess this is what they originally wanted the parade to sound since that was also heard for the preview videos of the new floats before it came last year. That version also had a different section unlike the final version. Skip to 1:14 to hear the bit and even remixed the MSEP theme a bit longer.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
AND if it goes, it's because WDW has agreed to pay for the transfer/upkeep out of their OPEX budget - the company isn't going to mandate that TDA send it to the east coast for free. I get what @CaptainAmerica is trying to say, but considering I work in finance, it's not mindless paper shuffling as he claims. Budgets have to be met and while yes it all gets consolidated on a central balance sheet, each entity has to make their stated p/l goals and margins. I also was under the impression that Disney ditched the "One Disney" idea so now the parks more or less operate independently as long as they meet those stated goals from HQ.
First of all, the P&L has very little to do with this because the creation of a new parade is a capital expenditure and the depreciation on something this size is minimal for a business with the asset base the size of WDP&R. Maintenance and labor are the primary operating costs but I can't imagine those things are materially different between one parade and another.

With regards to "One Disney," keep in mind that we saw cuts in several projects when NextGen went over budget. Similarly, Shanghai overruns have had impacts on other businesses. That's proof right there that Disney isn't as "separate" as the end of One Disney would imply. Neither capital budgets nor operating budgets are static. Targets move all the time as the business and long-term strategies evolve.

@GiveMeTheMusic says WDW wasn't involved in the original capex for Paint the Night, and I believe him since I have no knowledge to the contrary. Even if WDW had paid for it, the assets belong to Disneyland because they're physically located in Disneyland so they need to be recorded there for property tax purposes if nothing else. Note that I never claimed my theory actually happened, just that it was a possibility. The system would allow for what I described to take place, even if that's not what happened in this case.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I'm not sure who said it, but another poster pointed out that Cars doesn't quite fit in a castle park and I agree. I wonder if they'd replace the Cars section with something else and solve both problems.

Buried20KLeague

First of all, the P&L has very little to do with this because the creation of a new parade is a capital expenditure and the depreciation on something this size is minimal for a business with the asset base the size of WDP&R. Maintenance and labor are the primary operating costs but I can't imagine those things are materially different between one parade and another.

With regards to "One Disney," keep in mind that we saw cuts in several projects when NextGen went over budget. Similarly, Shanghai overruns have had impacts on other businesses. That's proof right there that Disney isn't as "separate" as the end of One Disney would imply. Neither capital budgets nor operating budgets are static. Targets move all the time as the business and long-term strategies evolve.

@GiveMeTheMusic says WDW wasn't involved in the original capex for Paint the Night, and I believe him since I have no knowledge to the contrary. Even if WDW had paid for it, the assets belong to Disneyland because they're physically located in Disneyland so they need to be recorded there for property tax purposes if nothing else. Note that I never claimed my theory actually happened, just that it was a possibility. The system would allow for what I described to take place, even if that's not what happened in this case.

I take back what I hinted at earlier. You ARE cut out for Disney middle management.

JohnD

I'm not sure who said it, but another poster pointed out that Cars doesn't quite fit in a castle park and I agree. I wonder if they'd replace the Cars section with something else and solve both problems.

I don't know what parade will end up in MK. But that is just an erroneous statement. There are already cars in MK. Maybe not Cars but cars nonetheless. How does one determine exactly what IP isn't appropriate to a castle park? Wouldn't any Disney or Pixar brand be appropriate? In DL it goes further with Star Wars and Marvel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom