Paint the night is not moving to Disney World. Stop bumping this.

brb1006

I watched an EXCELLENT quality video of Paint the Night ( thanks mousebits.com! ). I think it starts out nice, but the middle doesn't feel "special". Don't get me wrong, the floats are great looking, but don't seem to have that "magic". Maybe too much Pixar? Can't put my finger on it. The parade ends nice, with a cool Mickey float. This parade just does not feel like it would fit our Magic Kingdom. Maybe its the music?
Anyway, I said all of that to say I hope Orlando gets a NEW CLASSY (think Spectro- style) parade to replace MSEP instead of borrowing PTN for a "Limited Time Run" like we did MSEP.
I think it might also have to do with the lack of classic Disney characters (Pinocchio,Snow White, Alice In Wonderland for example)

imthewalrus79

It went to DLP, and I'm not sure what happened after that.

After it's run at DLP ended, the parade was shipped to the newly opening HKDL. However, they never used it and when they finally started a night-time parade, they obviously went with a brand new PTN. As to whether those MSEP floats are still sitting somewhere in HKDL or not, or what kind of condition they're in, I don't know.

Here's a question I have: WDW's MSEP debuted in 1977 when the all 3-D float version premiered at DL. Were the sizes of the floats shared between the two versions the exact same size; or were WDW's bigger?

tirian

I watched an EXCELLENT quality video of Paint the Night ( thanks mousebits.com! ). I think it starts out nice, but the middle doesn't feel "special". Don't get me wrong, the floats are great looking, but don't seem to have that "magic". Maybe too much Pixar? Can't put my finger on it. The parade ends nice, with a cool Mickey float. This parade just does not feel like it would fit our Magic Kingdom. Maybe its the music?
Anyway, I said all of that to say I hope Orlando gets a NEW CLASSY (think Spectro- style) parade to replace MSEP instead of borrowing PTN for a "Limited Time Run" like we did MSEP.
I agree; PTN at DL left me cold. I love Pixar movies, but the Monsters Inc. and Cars units don't fit into the fantasy setting of a castle park. Also, I don't know what's impressive about so many flat LED video screens moving down the route, as opposed to 3-D floats.

WDW needs another Spectro or TDL Dreamlights to fit the MK's grandeur.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

Don't get me wrong, Dreamlights is a great parade too. This is just personal preference. I definitely understand why people like Dreamlights better than Paint the Night. What I don't understand are people that outright dislike Paint the Night.
I have several gripes with Paint the Night that make me somewhat dislike it. I dislike the music style used. It's not a musical genre i like to begin with, but even if I did it is still inappropriate to have it on Main Street (Hollywood Studios perhaps). I'm not even the biggest fan of the original Electrical Parade music, but I definitely prefer it over PtN's and Dreamlights did a great job modernizing it IMO. My heart is always with Spectro's soundtrack though.

Float-wise it's also a very short parade compared to Dreamlights, Spectromagic and Fantillusion (even the shorter one). I also find a number of the float designs to be lacking (or inappropriate to the location). They use some cool lighting tech, but the underlying structure of the floats themselves are somewhat barebones. I made a post a while back explaining this somewhat better and in more detail, explaining the differing design philosophies that went into even the smaller floats-
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/paint-the-night-rumors.909783/page-5#post-7107243

There are a few things I DO like about Paint however. I like the Frozen, Little Mermaid and Belle floats. I also find the costumes excellent and a big step above prior night parades. The lighting tech is also quite impressive, though again a lot of Dreamlights floats were upgraded to the same sort of choreographed LED tech used in PtN. So Dreamlights has the benefit of modern LED lighting as well as better and more elegant float design.

I'll also mention the light choreography is better in Dreamlights as well, less "strobing" effects, they crossfade and change colors in a far more elegant and fluid manner. Far cry from the abrupt strobe-like flashing of PtN. Dreamlights' light choreography feels orchestral and waltz-like (once again far more fitting of the location it travels down mind you, same went for Spectromagic and Fantillusion). Too much of PtN's light choreography is brash, loud and looks like it belongs in a rave instead of the elegant and old town it travels through.

I agree; PTN at DL left me cold. I love Pixar movies, but the Monsters Inc. and Cars units don't fit into the fantasy setting of a castle park. Also, I don't know what's impressive about so many LED video screens moving down the route, as opposed to 3-D floats.

Agreed. The Monsters Inc float in particular gives off the "TV float" vibe. Now there absolutely ARE ways to utilize LED video properly. The Cheshire Cat and Genie floats in Dreamlights create elaborate texture effects on a 3D float without feeling too much like video. Plus it helps that they are characters where such effects are appropriate.

Last edited:

the-reason14

Well I for one absolutely love and loved paint the night. I might be a little biased because it was my first trip back to DL in years and the circumstances leading up to it, but it's my new favorite parade. Our flight back home was cancelled so we had an "accidental additional" day in DL and that was the perfect opportunity to stage up for ptn and DL forever. DL forever was cancelled because of technical difficulties, but the first showing of ptn was amazing and just made the whole trip feel complete. However I don't think it would work as well in MK, although I would love to see it in my original Disney castle park. It just fits DL better I think because DL as a whole is just cooler than WDW. It just gels well with the park and I don't see it doing the same MK. But even then I would still love to see it there.

brb1006

I agree; PTN at DL left me cold. I love Pixar movies, but the Monsters Inc. and Cars units don't fit into the fantasy setting of a castle park. Also, I don't know what's impressive about so many flat LED video screens moving down the route, as opposed to 3-D floats.

If it's a new parade then I just hope they might bring back Bruce Healey (Who composed Fantasmic and Fantillusion) or the other artists that collaborated for Spectromagic since orchestrated music really fits the nigh atmosphere at Walt Disney World.

Last edited:

brb1006

I have several gripes with Paint the Night that make me somewhat dislike it. I dislike the music style used. It's not a musical genre i like to begin with, but even if I did it is still inappropriate to have it on Main Street (Hollywood Studios perhaps). I'm not even the biggest fan of the original Electrical Parade music, but I definitely prefer it over PtN's and Dreamlights did a great job modernizing it IMO. My heart is always with Spectro's soundtrack though.

Float-wise it's also a very short parade compared to Dreamlights, Spectromagic and Fantillusion (even the shorter one). I also find a number of the float designs to be lacking (or inappropriate to the location). They use some cool lighting tech, but the underlying structure of the floats themselves are somewhat barebones. I made a post a while back explaining this somewhat better and in more detail, explaining the differing design philosophies that went into even the smaller floats-
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/paint-the-night-rumors.909783/page-5#post-7107243

There are a few things I DO like about Paint however. I like the Frozen, Little Mermaid and Belle floats. I also find the costumes excellent and a big step above prior night parades. The lighting tech is also quite impressive, though again a lot of Dreamlights floats were upgraded to the same sort of choreographed LED tech used in PtN. So Dreamlights has the benefit of modern LED lighting as well as better and more elegant float design.

I'll also mention the light choreography is better in Dreamlights as well, less "strobing" effects, they crossfade and change colors in a far more elegant and fluid manner. Far cry from the abrupt strobe-like flashing of PtN. Dreamlights' light choreography feels orchestral and waltz-like (once again far more fitting of the location it travels down mind you, same went for Spectromagic and Fantillusion). Too much of PtN's light choreography is brash, loud and looks like it belongs in a rave instead of the elegant and old town it travels through.

Agreed. The Monsters Inc float in particular gives off the "TV float" vibe. Now there absolutely ARE ways to utilize LED video properly. The Cheshire Cat and Genie floats in Dreamlights create elaborate texture effects on a 3D float without feeling too much like video. Plus it helps that they are characters where such effects are appropriate.
I really love the lighting effects for the It's A Small World section,Elliot, and the Cheshire Cat at Dreamlights when it turns black and they start twinkling. The Small World section also reminds me of Spectromagic where the characters wave there pam-pams and turn the entire section to black for a few seconds and they turn back to normal like how in Spectromagic the Three Little Pigs turn the final into white.

articos

No, I'm saying Paint the Night was paid for and developed by Hong Kong Disneyland and Disneyland for those respective parks. Walt Disney World was not involved in any way. Your theory that WDW paid for the parade and "lent" it to DLR for the 60th, while interesting, is just not so.

The MSEP decision would have transcended just Colglazier and Kalogridis and likely involved Chapek, as it leaves WDW with a void that needs to be filled.
Wouldn't have involved Chapek aside from informing him. Decisions like this are taken via the relevant dept heads, park VP/GMs, Ops management, Marketing and the two resort heads once the decisions are made via the parade/entertainment depts, Park VP and Ops. Chapek can veto if he wants, but he's going to listen to his team. There's no one leader giving direction from a tower. Disney is a rule by committee company with many people weighing in from various fiefdoms.

TP2000

Well I for one absolutely love and loved paint the night. However I don't think it would work as well in MK, although I would love to see it in my original Disney castle park. It just fits DL better I think because DL as a whole is just cooler than WDW. It just gels well with the park and I don't see it doing the same MK. But even then I would still love to see it there.

Getting PTN to fit better in Magic Kingdom Park would require Magic Kingdom Park to rethink and rework nearly it's entire vibe and scene. And that's gonna require a major executive shake-up in the TDO building.

Last edited:

discos

Is the old parade from DHS still kicking around in storage somewhere? They could throw some lights on that then BAM new nighttime parade for MK (im obviously kidding)

VJ

Having had some time to process this, I simply can't fathom why they allowed it to be announced the way that they did. It's obvious that there is *something* in the pipeline for nighttime MK entertainment, as the insiders here who have been the most in-the-loop have mentioned. If, for some reason, they weren't able to say specifically what's coming, there's no reason they couldn't say "stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for information on the exciting next chapter for the Magic Kingdom's nighttime entertainment!"

I mean, really, there's only 3 options:
1. Running an already-existing parade (FoF @ night, Fantilusion, PTN, etc)
2. Getting an all-new parade
3. Getting nothing.

The insiders here have ruled out #3, and the way things leak out I think that #2 is improbable. So, we're likely getting an existing parade.

What's the matter with saying "Get ready to experience the magical Festival of Fantasy in a whole new light! You'll love how this mobile celebration sparkles, shimmers, and shines its way down Main Street, USA to end your day at the Magic Kingdom" or even something vague like "We can't wait to tell you how we plan to 'light the night' on Main Street, USA with a new spectacle in 2017! Stay tuned."

Ugh. To be a media company, they certainly are ****-poor at communicating things effectively and strategically with, you know, the media.

-PREMiERdrum, who holds a Bachelors Degree in Broadcast Communications
Before I read the last sentence I was thinking Disney needs to hire you, because you have their language spot-on. Way too uncanny.

VJ

I'm also shocked at the fact tons of people seem to think this version of MSEP is actually "ours". They have no idea it's the Disneyland original which is really bizarre to me
Yep. The Main Street Electrical Parade that's currently running at Magic Kingdom belongs to Disneyland, where it's bounced between Disneyland park and Disney California Adventure since 1972. WDW gave their set of units to Paris and I guess Paris threw them away (purely speculation) [Edit: Explained in a previous post I hadn't gotten to reading at the time of writing this post] so, aside from whatever was re-used for DreamLights, Disneyland's set of units is the only one left. I also think Tokyo giving DreamLights to WDW is not just highly unlikely, but impossibly unlikely. The parade is very popular in Tokyo and I really don't think OLC would give up one of their nighttime entertainment anchors. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

mikenatcity1

Also, couldn't they just send it without Mack? I know that's like the big thing but it's better than nothing. Also, I think the Orlando Visitor's Bureau is going to want some money back as I just saw their new commercial on the olympics for "visit Orlando" and I'm pretty sure MSEP is in the commercial. Ironic much?

From seeing the parade in person, there is something amazing about seeing Mack roll down the street...a full size looking lightshow that talks. People would constantly talk about how awesome something that large could maneuver through the park as well...I would hate to see this amazing float disappear from the parade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom