Paint the night is not moving to Disney World. Stop bumping this.

GiveMeTheMusic

I think the big concern is that MK will not have Anything in the evening besides Wishes and maaybe that horrid street party. WDW is likely thinking that they do not need a nighttime parade until next Spring since the rest of this year will be covered by MNSSHP and MVMCP, then Once Upon A Christmas Time can run daily the weeks of Christmas. The months of January and February are typically the slow season.

They'll be fine, honestly.

Crazydisneyfanluke

I think the big concern is that MK will not have Anything in the evening besides Wishes and maaybe that horrid street party. WDW is likely thinking that they do not need a nighttime parade until next Spring since the rest of this year will be covered by MNSSHP and MVMCP, then Once Upon A Christmas Time can run daily the weeks of Christmas. The months of January and February are typically the slow season.
They also have Celebrate the magic. Twice a night

the.dreamfinder

I can easily imagine that's the case.

This was a company that used to issue all-new parades every summer based on that year's big animated motion picture. And they would begin to create this parade a year in advance of when the movie would open in theaters, working just on storyboards and early clips of said movie. Aladdin's Royal Caravan, The Lion King Parade, Hercules Victory Parade, The Mulan Parade, were all issued forth every 12 to 24 months right on top of each other.

A company division like Parks & Resorts with access to a Billion dollars in after-tax profit every 90 days can build a lavish new night parade in a year. If it wants to, of course.
I know this is MSEP/PTN thread, but bear with me for a moment. Two of the aforementioned parades ran at TPFKaTD-MGMS and helped draw guests at the park when there was more to do there then than there is now. The lack of parades based on upcoming new releases really highlights both Disney's stinginess when it comes to using the theme parks to promote new films, but also a failed opportunity to keep guests interested in visiting a dead corpse of a park. Shows and Parades based on upcoming films could be a way to help DHS from losing guests, both turnstile clicks and time spent in the park, through its slow transformation.

Carry on...

Last edited:

Mike S

I hope the technology and look for this parade is BETTER than Dreamlights and Paint the Night combined. For the love of God folks, stop salivating over stuff that's already out there.
That's what happens when the parks are allowed to stagnate. Fans will accept almost anything as long as it's new. Sort of.

Just look at Epcot.

Back to the topic I want brand-new-jaw-dropping-night-parade-that-makes-other-resorts-jealous 1.0.

doctornick

I'm just hoping that some plan for a new light parade is executed soon so something is in MK early in 2017. If it's a new build, great, get it funded and built. If it's PTN from DL, great, announce it and get it over (and build a new parade for the 50th at least). But I don't like this limbo where MK might be without a true night parade for a long period -- running FoF at night doesn't count; the park should have two dedicated parades. (Also, DHS needs to bring back a daily parade as well during the day.)

TTA94

I hope the technology and look for this parade is BETTER than Dreamlights and Paint the Night combined. For the love of God folks, stop salivating over stuff that's already out there.

Oh I agree fully, the problem is we all know WDW is not TDL who can fund a parade that tops anything ever done at the other parks. I wish WDW Would get a parade that's better than Dreamlights and PTN.

Mike S

Oh I agree fully, the problem is we all know WDW is not TDL who can fund a parade that tops anything ever done at the other parks. I wish WDW Would get a parade that's better than Dreamlights and PTN.
They did pay for FoF. How does that compare with other day parades?

jrhwdw

I'm just hoping that some plan for a new light parade is executed soon so something is in MK early in 2017. If it's a new build, great, get it funded and built. If it's PTN from DL, great, announce it and get it over (and build a new parade for the 50th at least). But I don't like this limbo where MK might be without a true night parade for a long period -- running FoF at night doesn't count; the park should have two dedicated parades. (Also, DHS needs to bring back a daily parade as well during the day.)
I agree.....to a point. Running FOF at night until a light parade can get to the MK: New, PTN, whatever, counts. I mean our insiders would be along with other fan sites telling us if MK is getting shipments of floats in or if there are brand new floats backstage. I Think FOF is the only option at this minute. Unless MK cooks up something with the floats they already have backstage by 10/12. but FOF's night timespan should be short as it can be! IDK how DL Park got away with no light parade for 18 Years. Granted DLR put DEP into DCA to save the park I think I read, If DCA 1.0 was a hit or never built who knows where MSEP would be now.

MUTZIE77

That's what happens when the parks are allowed to stagnate. Fans will accept almost anything as long as it's new. Sort of.
This is exactly right, average WDW guests have been conditioned over the last 15 or so years that they will accept whatever they are given. They are starving for anything new so they will accept it without question. This is why Disney will get away with Wreck it Ralph in Tomorrowland and Guardians in Epcot.

TP2000

IDK how DL Park got away with no light parade for 18 Years. Granted DLR put DEP into DCA to save the park I think I read, If DCA 1.0 was a hit or never built who knows where MSEP would be now.

It was actually 15 years, as The Mulan Parade was created as a night parade that ran at night in 1998 and 1999.
dl_parade.jpg

After that Disneyland had Fantasmic!, plus a big fireworks show, plus whatever afternoon parade was running at that time.

DCA had an afternoon parade and then the Electrical Parade at night to play against the fireworks and Fantasmic! next door.

In 2015, before Fantasmic! was closed for its Fantasmic! 2.0 upgrade due to the Star Wars Land construction, the daily peak DLR schedule was this, all within a 5 to 10 minute walk from each other in two adjacent theme parks;

3:30 PM - Mickey's Soundsational Parade (Disneyland Park)
5:00 PM - Pixar Play Parade (DCA Park)
5:45 PM - Mickey's Soundsational Parade (Disneyland Park)
8:45 PM - Paint The Night Parade (Disneyland Park)
9:00 PM - Fantasmic! (Disneyland Park)
9:00 PM - World of Color (DCA Park)
9:30 PM - Disneyland Forever! fireworks spectacular (Disneyland Park)
10:15 PM - World of Color (DCA Park)
10:30 PM - Fantasmic! (Disneyland Park)

That's three different parades performed five times per day, plus two different water shows performed four times per day, plus a fireworks show inbetween. In two little, tiny theme parks jammed in just 100 yards from each other. That's nine (9) daily offerings of parades and night spectaculars.

Meanwhile, at WDW, there are currently two parades with three performances per day (1 FOF, 2 MSEP), plus two water shows with one performance each (1 Fantasmic!, 1 ROE), and two fireworks shows (1 Wishes, 1 Star Wars). That's seven (7) daily offerings of parades and night spectaculars. In four HUGE theme parks sprawled across a massive piece of property that in 1966 Walt said would offer "the blessing of size". From a Parks & Resorts division that created $994 Million in after-tax profit in the last Fiscal 2016 quarter, just 90 days of business.

Assuming WDW's four parks would double the offerings of DLR's two parks, you would think WDW would have 18 daily offerings of various parades, fireworks and water shows. It's fascinating to consider that WDW has recently offered less daily performances of parades and night spectaculars than Disneyland Resort has. How do you even justify that if you are TDO?

mikenatcity1

It was actually 15 years, as The Mulan Parade was created as a night parade that ran at night in 1998 and 1999.
dl_parade.jpg

After that Disneyland had Fantasmic!, plus a big fireworks show, plus whatever afternoon parade was running at that time.

DCA had an afternoon parade and then the Electrical Parade at night to play against the fireworks and Fantasmic! next door.

In 2015, before Fantasmic! was closed for its Fantasmic! 2.0 upgrade due to the Star Wars Land construction, the daily peak DLR schedule was this, all within a 5 to 10 minute walk from each other in two adjacent theme parks;

That's three different parades performed five times per day, plus two different water shows performed four times per day, plus a fireworks show inbetween. In two little, tiny theme parks jammed in just 100 yards from each other. That's nine (9) daily offerings of parades and night spectaculars.

Meanwhile, at WDW, there are currently two parades with three performances per day (1 FOF, 2 MSEP), plus two water shows with one performance each (1 Fantasmic!, 1 ROE), and two fireworks shows (1 Wishes, 1 Star Wars). That's seven (7) daily offerings of parades and night spectaculars. In four HUGE theme parks sprawled across a massive piece of property that in 1966 Walt said would offer "the blessing of size". From a Parks & Resorts division that created $994 Million in after-tax profit in the last Fiscal 2016 quarter, just 90 days of business.

Assuming WDW's four parks would double the offerings of DLR's two parks, you would think WDW would have 18 daily offerings of various parades, fireworks and water shows. It's fascinating to consider that WDW has recently offered less daily performances of parades and night spectaculars than Disneyland Resort has. How do you even justify that if you are TDO?

You only have PtN 1 time- most nights I was there it ran 2 times- I want to say 1045pm? If we hauled it, we could make it from WoC to PtN...but usually the entrance was so jammed it was almost impossible. Note- starting for a while in September 2015, Fantasmic and WoC were dark on Mondays.

This was during their uber peak season and a special anniversary celebration. If the schedule is looked at now (at least Mon-Thurs), you have WoC nightly and 2 day time parades...that's it. During the off season DL doesn't have that much entertainment.

TTA94

I remember when FOF was the highlight of conversation during its opening it was discussed/rumored of having evening performances and replacing MSEP while a new parade gets created. If done right with adding additional onboard lighting and colored parade route lighting, asside from the already equipped hub lighting, FOF could be really awesome at night and easily get MK by for a few years with no light parade.

Will that actually happen however, I'm not going to hold my breath. I think WDW is going to keep FOF at 3pm and only have Move it shake it dance and play it, Celebrate the magic and Wishes. I'm sure they see MSEP leaving as a way to cut costs, so why would they want to pay the FOF performers for a second performance each day?

oceanbreeze77

dl_parade.jpg

Sound only ran once when paint the night came.

oceanbreeze77

I remember when FOF was the highlight of conversation during its opening it was discussed/rumored of having evening performances and replacing MSEP while a new parade gets created. If done right with adding additional onboard lighting and colored parade route lighting, asside from the already equipped hub lighting, FOF could be really awesome at night and easily get MK by for a few years with no light parade.

Will that actually happen however, I'm not going to hold my breath. I think WDW is going to keep FOF at 3pm and only have Move it shake it dance and play it, Celebrate the magic and Wishes. I'm sure they see MSEP leaving as a way to cut costs, so why would they want to pay the FOF performers for a second performance each day?
I think a lot of cms in FoF are also in Fan! so they'd have to work out a schedule that accommodates both shows.

doctornick

Wouldn't the two listing of Fantasmic! and WoC at DLR only be during peak times? I mean, if you are going to do that, you should also account for the fact that Wishes and Fantasmic! at WDW run 2 times a night during peak times as well, which would bring the total to 9 a day. You have to compare apples to apples, not peak DLR entertainment versus "regular" times at WDW.

Furthermore, for its faults, WDW doesn't tend to run things only seasonally or select days of the week the way DLR does. Hit DLR during an off time of year and there might not be any showings of some of that entertainment. WDW has less variation of the total number of daily shows.

I agree with your major point, though, that WDW should have significantly more large scale entertainment given the size of the resort. RoL will be one and I would hope that MK won't be without a night parade for long. Personally, I think they need to bring back some sort of daytime parade at DHS as well as consider some larger daytime entertainment at DAK (like a boat parade/show on the Discover River in the vein of Mythica).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom