our seemingly quarterly sueing of Disney

Pioneer Hall

I've taken out various boats in the WDW waterways before, and I just don't understand how accidents like this end up taking place. If you see another boat coming (especially one that is much larger than the one you are in) slow down and stay away from it. I have never had a close call in any type of boat.

wizards8507

I've taken out various boats in the WDW waterways before, and I just don't understand how accidents like this end up taking place. If you see another boat coming (especially one that is much larger than the one you are in) slow down and stay away from it. I have never had a close call in any type of boat.

Is there a waiver when you rent one of these vessels?

docdebbi

you know, 'm having some financial troubles right now, could use some extra cash. i'm going to disney in august, think i'll crash into something. not sure yet what, but i know it's going to hurt, and i'll never work again.
anyone help me out with some ideas.........i don't want it to hurt TOO much, i'm not really a fan of pain, but it's got to LOOK really bad. i'm thinking maybe i'll run into one of the electric light parade floats, that oughta work....:rolleyes:

wizards8507

you know, 'm having some financial troubles right now, could use some extra cash. i'm going to disney in august, think i'll crash into something. not sure yet what, but i know it's going to hurt, and i'll never work again.
anyone help me out with some ideas.........i don't want it to hurt TOO much, i'm not really a fan of pain, but it's got to LOOK really bad. i'm thinking maybe i'll run into one of the electric light parade floats, that oughta work....:rolleyes:

Maybe you could bring a stepladder and grab the electric line on the monorail track.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This is a bit off topic, but people always get this wrong when the McDonald's coffee case comes up. McDonald's has (and has always had) very strict rules about how hot their coffee is supposed to be kept. If a patron had spilled that coffee on him- or herself, the case would not have been successful. The reason why the case was successful is because the particular McDonald's was keeping their coffee well above the standard temperature set by the Company.
Everything I have read on this subject paints a much different picture. At the time it was company policy to keep their coffee at 180-190 degrees, not a simple case of a single store. Also at the time of this injury McDonald's had documented over 700 claims of people being burned by their coffee.

trr1

you could use your hairdryer in the shower

The Mom

Premium Member
From the Florida Fish and Wildlife Dept...
"Boating Safety Education ID Card
Anyone born on or after January 1, 1988 who operates a vessel powered by 10 horsepower or more must pass an approved boater safety course and have in his/her possession photographic identification and a boating safety education identification card issued by the FWC or temporary certificate issued by an authorized vendor."

Given the age the person in question is, chances are, they didn't need to have a license to operate the watercraft in question.

Exactly. A 10HP boat is actually pretty powerful for just casual tooling around ( and throws a pretty big wake) - most of the small launches I've driven have been 5HP, or less, and have been quite fast enough for my purpose. I don't think those little boats at WDW are more than 2.5HP.

And I have never had any sort of watercraft license.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Exactly. A 10HP boat is actually pretty powerful for just casual tooling around ( and throws a pretty big wake) - most of the small launches I've driven have been 5HP, or less, and have been quite fast enough for my purpose. I don't think those little boats at WDW are more than 2.5HP.

And I have never had any sort of watercraft license.

These boats IIRC were designed to handle ~16-19hp engines. They are Mercury 9.9s on them btw.

Bravo 229

I've taken out two types of boats at DTD - one was called a Water Mouse I believe, and the other was a pontoon boat. And from what I remember (this would've been maybe 12 years ago) we had to fill out release forms and they gave us specific instructions to "pass on the right" "keep away from other vessels" - these are the basic universal watercraft rules - and stay 100 yards away from Fulton's Crab House. If I'm not mistaken, they even had these rules posted on the shack where you rent the boats. I haven't been to the dock in a long time, but I'm sure they would have the same procedures in place that they always have - giving safety spiels and warnings. I look at it this way - if you can drive a car, driving a boat is much easier. And you wouldn't drive your car head on into another car, would you? Its sad that someone ended up hurt in this situation, but they can't blame Disney for their own lack of common sense.

sublimesting

She should be suing the party responsible: herself! This is utter foolishness and falls along the lines of basically: My husband is such an idiot, how could you possible have rented him a boat. He doesn;t know anything about driving one of these dangerous machines. However, I have decided to ride with him.

This would be like a woman's husband getting drunk at a bar, then she gets in the car with him and he crashes. Then blaming the bar for serving him

blm07

Really people? You are going to argue for making a stupid joke about the McDonalds thing? The lady spilled coffee on herself and then what? Did the coffee burn down her house too? I'm pretty sure she got more than 20k out of the whole thing.

I think I'm suing Starbucks coffee for making $15 plastic cups. I mean, it's more than what Disney charges for a cup, and it doesn't even have anything cool on it!
IMG_20110629_152625.jpg

The Mom

Premium Member
These boats IIRC were designed to handle ~16-19hp engines. They are Mercury 9.9s on them btw.

Thank you! I didn't think they would have that much HP. Perhaps it will be changing in the future if there are more lawsuits of this type.

elisatonks

The boats are rented by an operating participant not Disney. Would be interesting to see where this goes, if they are sueing disney i would say they are trying to say its the CM who was driving the other boats was at fault, otherwise they are going after the wrong company.

ChristianG

It's sad what people will do for money. That's ridiculous. Sueing Disney because your husband crashed into another boat. Let's all blame Disney now. I'm sueing Disney because I tripped on my shoelace. They should have never let me buy those shoelaces.

mp2bill

The lawyers should be sued for encouraging these law suits that are nothing more than the result of their clients own stupidity. :fork:

I agree...if the plaintiff is found to be negligent, they should be held responsible and sentenced (to even include jailtime). That'd deter these frivolous lawsuits.

Slipknot

The funny thing about her reasoning is that I've seen a lot of younger people pilot sea raycers without any trouble or crashes... at least that we've heard of.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom