Our MK is poor next to Disneyland!!

David

I think that they both have their advantages, but to me, MK in WDW is the best. It was fun visiting the original in CA, but I found myself continuting to compare it to WDW and being a little disappointed. Just some quick odds and ends:

1.) I thought Main Street was better in DL, because of the architecture of the buildings.

2.) The DL castle really was a big shock. I knew is would be smaller in scale, but I didn't think it would be as small as it is.

3.) I think Teacups at WDW is better, if for no other reason than being covered. I did not care for the open air ride at DL.

4.) We came into the DL park via the monorail. The ride carried you over areas of the park under construction and repair, behind the scene areas--things you don't see at WDW and take away the magic.

5.) Fantasyland was too crowded. The attractions are so close together, it really is packed with people much sooner than the same area at WDW.

6.) Pirates at DL is better--especially the drop.

I enjoyed our trip to DL for the 50th and will go back, but of the two parks, I much prefer the MK at WDW.

isitingood

Well, and not only that, but you've also got to think of the crowds. CA is mostly locals, so it's understandable that they have to keep things fresh and improve regularly in order to continue to draw in the crowds, whereas in FLA, it's more about tourists that might visit maybe only once in their lives (with the exception of us obsessed people). :lol: From that standpoint, it makes sense that more updates and TLC goes to DL... But still, as a loyal WDWer, I was taken aback at the length to which this was the case. I didn't assume it to be as great a difference as it was.

Disneyland is not mostly locals. I grew up in SO. Cal and Disneyland gets plenty of tourists.

Buried20KLeague

Original Poster
I'll take the right hand turns over a spinal injury on WDW's sorry Space Mtn. any day.:rolleyes:

Agreed. It just felt to me like with the open space and a single track, they could have done more with the layout. I don't even think there was a sizeable dip like the small ones at MK, now that I think of it.

Maybe they should have thought about a different layout during the re-build... Although I'm sure that would have cost a ton more than just remanufacturing what what already engineered.

Buried20KLeague

Original Poster
Disneyland is not mostly locals. I grew up in SO. Cal and Disneyland gets plenty of tourists.

I'm sure they get plenty of tourists... I was one of them. But I'm willing to bet the farm that there's a higher percentage of locals that attend Disneyland regularly than FLA locals that attend the MK. Even a varyance of 15% more locals in CA means hundreds of thousands of regulars you've got to keep interested.

Lee

Adventurer
Spinal injuries Lee? :lookaroun

Yeah, I was exaggerating....
I was just saying how much I prefer DL's layout, themeing, music, trains....pretty much the whole thing to WDW's creaky, dirty, rough, bumpy piece of crap of a Space Mountain.:fork:

tink81

Glad to hear you had a good time, Buried!

We, too, enjoyed the DL version of Space, especially the BF who doesn;t get excited about anything. I prefer the DL Pirates and HM, but I have to go with the layout and spaciousness of MK. All of DL's Tomorrowland could fit comfortably in MK's with room to spare and New Orleans Square is beautiful but (IMHO) is not conducive to a show like Fantasmic. We really liked DL but we LOVE MK. Just out of curiousity, what did you think of DCA? We really liked it (especially because it is so spread out, more like the Disney parks we are used to) and that we our first experience with Soarin' which totally blew us away! :wave:

JimboJones123

Anti-Bobble-Head Lee and Anti-Bobble-Head Jimbo would get along great. What is up w/ the unnecessary side shifting? Just to scramble my brains? WDW's SM is pretty bad.

Meeko

I have also never been to DL so I cannot add my opinion comparing the two parks, however, I definitely would like to go!

There's always been that pull for me that I'd like to see it because it's the "original". Like some others have said, I'm waiting to see what happens with California Adventure. I'd like to see what changes are coming there in the next few years.. and I'd like plane tickets to go down... :lookaroun but that's another thread.:rolleyes:

Buried20KLeague

Original Poster
Glad to hear you had a good time, Buried!

We, too, enjoyed the DL version of Space, especially the BF who doesn;t get excited about anything. I prefer the DL Pirates and HM, but I have to go with the layout and spaciousness of MK. All of DL's Tomorrowland could fit comfortably in MK's with room to spare and New Orleans Square is beautiful but (IMHO) is not conducive to a show like Fantasmic. We really liked DL but we LOVE MK. Just out of curiousity, what did you think of DCA? We really liked it (especially because it is so spread out, more like the Disney parks we are used to) and that we our first experience with Soarin' which totally blew us away! :wave:

We actually blew through DCA VERY quickly... In about an hour and a half. It was for the most part a pretty park, we thought... Just walked around checking it out, and riding a few rides. I think FLA's TOT is much better than DCA's... Cali Screamin' was okay, nothing I was amazed by... Part of the reason we didn't hit that park too hard was we had to leave something to do with the kids when we visit next year. We were already feeling guilty about leaving the 9 and 8 year old girls at home. :lol:

Main Street USA

I've got to say, I was completely shocked.

Last week, I surprised my wife with a couple days in California for our 10th anniversary. No surprise, she wanted to go to Disneyland even though we didn't have the kids. (Hi, my name is Buried and we're Disney-aholics)

To our surprise, almost every attraction that they have in both parks was BETTER in CA than in Florida.

Space Mountain - Don't even get me started. We got off that ride almost depressed we had to ride Florida's version.

Pirates - I now know first hand how downgraded and "thrown in" the FLA version is.

Big Thunder - We both felt it was a better ride in CA, although not by an extreme margin.

Haunted Mansion - Floating Leota and the new attic scene easily blow the FLA version away.

Buzz Lightyear - MUCH better. The guns aren't welded to the car, which makes it more fun, plus the targeting system is much better all the way around, and there's easy indication when you hit a target.

Tiki Room - Looks amazing since the overhaul for the 50th... Although comparitively I don't the the FLA version is as huge a train wreck as it's made to be.

Not to mention the Rivers of America are alive and well over there... Canoes, rafts, sailing ship Columbia, plus their riverboat... It all just made such a difference. Plus, all the work in the sub lagoon was exciting.

And let me say that I'm the biggest fan of Wishes there is... But "Remember... Dreams come true" beat the TAR out of it. Easily the best Disney fireworks show I've ever seen, if not the best fireworks show I've seen period.

All the other parks and things to do in Florida really make it outweigh CA overall, but just MK vs. MK... Wow, there's just no comparison.

We leave for FLA in two weeks, and we're almost a little worried this might lessen our excitement in the MK, the difference was that pronounced. We were just pretty surprised, so I thought I'd share.
All of this may be true of the attractions ans their interiors, but you've left out some of the most important and shocking things about Disneyland, especially to people who are WDW fans.

- Did you look a the castle? Most would respond with "What castle? THAT'S THE CASTLE?!?!?" I saw it for the first time as an adult about 3 years ago, and I thought the real castle must be hiding further back somwhere. It's a joke. It's tiny. It's embarrasing in comparison to WDW.

- Did you walk down main Street. I did. I hit my head on the awnings. It's pathetic. I have a picture of me standing underneath one, and you can't see my eyes. (I'm 6'2" by the way...not a giant)

- Here's another downer about Disneyland. It's not a family destination. It's nearly a teenage hangout, in fact. To me, it's their biggest problem, and it will probably only get worse.

- Disneyland is located in the middle of a pretty crappy part of town. There's no magic there, because you're still in the middle of the real world....and it's dirty. There's no escape.

I could go on. I personally prefer the large, impressive scale of WDW anyday. Does Disneyland have better rides, and more of them? Of course. They have to. They've jammed everything under the sun into one park, because they have no where else to put it. WDW spreads the love to 4 magnificent parks.

Anyway, just a few observations. I take WDW, and their attractions, anyday.

isitingood

All of this may be true of the attractions ans their interiors, but you've left out some of the most important and shocking things about Disneyland, especially to people who are WDW fans.

- Did you look a the castle? Most would respond with "What castle? THAT'S THE CASTLE?!?!?" I saw it for the first time as an adult about 3 years ago, and I thought the real castle must be hiding further back somwhere. It's a joke. It's tiny. It's embarrasing in comparison to WDW.

- Did you walk down main Street. I did. I hit my head on the awnings. It's pathetic. I have a picture of me standing underneath one, and you can't see my eyes. (I'm 6'2" by the way...not a giant)

- Here's another downer about Disneyland. It's not a family destination. It's nearly a teenage hangout, in fact. To me, it's their biggest problem, and it will probably only get worse.

- Disneyland is located in the middle of a pretty crappy part of town. There's no magic there, because you're still in the middle of the real world....and it's dirty. There's no escape.

I could go on. I personally prefer the large, impressive scale of WDW anyday. Does Disneyland have better rides, and more of them? Of course. They have to. They've jammed everything under the sun into one park, because they have no where else to put it. WDW spreads the love to 4 magnificent parks.

Anyway, just a few observations. I take WDW, and their attractions, anyday.[/quote

You're correct about not having room but the reason why WDW has so much land is because the success of DL.

isitingood

I'm sure they get plenty of tourists... I was one of them. But I'm willing to bet the farm that there's a higher percentage of locals that attend Disneyland regularly than FLA locals that attend the MK. Even a varyance of 15% more locals in CA means hundreds of thousands of regulars you've got to keep interested.[/quote

How many times have you visited DL? I go just about every year and yes DL gets a lot of locals but you're not considering the population factor. Anaheim has almost twice as many people then Orlando and is only about 40min. from LA and anout an 1 hour and 20 min. from San Diego. Miami is nowhere close to Orlando and doesn't even come close in population:wave:

Buried20KLeague

Original Poster

Anyway, just a few observations. I take WDW, and their attractions, anyday.

See, I noticed both the castle and the size of main street, and to me it was almost endearing. As if that's what Walt built because of the assumed draw he thought his new "disneyland" would have. Like he built it to the size he thought he'd need based on the crowds he would get, and that the overwhelming crowds and demand were beyond even what he invisioned... Causing FLA to be put "on steroids" when it was built. I viewed that castle and scope of size as his "original vision", and thought of it more in a historical way than being bothered by it.

EDIT: I couldn't agree with you more about the "teenage hangout" problem. It was HUGE. There were 4 or 5 times where my wife and I were in line for something in front of a group of teens, and they were dropping F bombs and every other curse word you could think of... Over and over I thought that if we had had our kids with us, those teens would have had a problem on their hands with me. Once I said something anyway, because there were other kids nearby. So I could not agree with you more on that point. Something really needs to be done about that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom