Our MK is poor next to Disneyland!!

Buried20KLeague

Original Poster
It seems this topic of superior attractions at DL is possibly being looked at by more than just us...

According to Al Lutz at Miceage, the WDW execs were at DL finding the exact same result I did... Surprise at the quality of attractions next to WDW's versions. It's an interesting read... Here's the link:

http://miceage.com/allutz/al091206a.htm

Here's hoping this article is correct and they'll spend some time and energy (and $$$$!!) updating attractions at the MK!!!

LilRoo714

It seems this topic of superior attractions at DL is possibly being looked at by more than just us...

According to Al Lutz at Miceage, the WDW execs were at DL finding the exact same result I did... Surprise at the quality of attractions next to WDW's versions. It's an interesting read... Here's the link:

http://miceage.com/allutz/al091206a.htm

Here's hoping this article is correct and they'll spend some time and energy (and $$$$!!) updating attractions at the MK!!!

Just read this article a little while ago and it reminded me of this thread - but you beat me to posting the link!:wave:

Thought it was interesting to hear about the "suits" being at DL. The article mentions the supposedly VERY short timeline allotted for next year's POTC update and I can't believe the difference between that and the months that the DL attraction will get. I hope they reconsider their timeline after the success of the last update. Overall, hopefully the great success that all the DL attractions' "plussing" has garnered will mean bigger budgets and better updates for MK too.

I think that the mindset of DL visitors vs. MK visitors that Lutz describes is interesting. It seems that he thinks DL visitors encourage change while MK visitors want their attractions to stay the same forever. Although I know many on this board like the "classics," I doubt that means that they don't want the Imagineers to spruce up the 30 year old attractions... am I wrong? :lookaroun

PintoColvig

I think that the mindset of DL visitors vs. MK visitors that Lutz describes is interesting. It seems that he thinks DL visitors encourage change while MK visitors want their attractions to stay the same forever. Although I know many on this board like the "classics," I doubt that means that they don't want the Imagineers to spruce up the 30 year old attractions... am I wrong? :lookaroun
I don't necessarily think that all MK visitors want their attractions to stay the same forever. I just think most don't like to see attractions replaced when there is room available to build new attractions. Since DL has used up just about all of its available space, older attractions inevitably will have to be replaced by newer ones if they don't want their park to become static. However, MK is blessed with size. Much expansion can take place without sacrificing already existing attractions. It's hard for people to understand why Mr. Toad was removed when so much empty space exists in the back of Fantasyland.

TP2000

Wow, what timing! At the same time we were discussing this the management of Magic Kingdom had just returned from their trip to Disneyland to see how the California park does some of their attractions better.

I was amazed to learn that they didn't replace all of the speakers in the MK Pirates, and instead just put in new speakers where new dialogue had been added. But that makes sense now. I distinctly remember the Haunted Mansion in Florida being very, very dated and tired, as if the technology hadn't been touched since the 1970's. And why weren't there fiber optics in Peter Pan? Why is the sound so muffled on so many MK rides? Etc., etc. :confused:

The Miceage article today was fascinating for many reasons, but the information about Florida suits visiting Disneyland to see how it's done is extra fascinating. It's also a good sign for so many Easterners who have never been to Disneyland and think the Florida versions of Pirates and Haunted Mansion and Peter Pan are only what those attractions can be. They can be so much more with 21st century technology and more TLC behind them. It sounds like the management of Florida's Magic Kingdom now understands that, and they realize they have some work to do to get their attractions up to Disneyland's 21st century standards.

C&D

Competition is good, even if it is within the family. Hopefully the suits have been enlightened and will invest where investment will provide for a better product. It appears that they have seen the light.

yellowrocket

As far as size is concerned... I'm not sure about the acerage, but Disneyland is certainly smaller and probably has less capactiy than Magic Kingdom despite having many more attractions. After visiting the MK 20+ times and then visiting DL for the first time I was in shock at how small the park feels.

For example, when you get to the end of Main Street, you still got a good ways to go before you get to any of other lands, let alone the castle. I think the reason Disneyland's castle 'looks' so much smaller is the short distance it is away from the end of Main Street and the entrances to Tomorrowland, Frontierland and Adventureland.

That 'smallness' isn't exactly a bad thing. I like it... and even though the Magic Kingdom is my 'home park' if I had only one day to visit either WDW or Disneyland, I'd probably pick Disneyland -- plenty of attractions in walking distance, cleanliness, and almost perfect execution of theme. I LOVE their Main Street.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom