Trip Report Our "It's 'Disney' real" June 2016 trip

We're back!!:(:( We had a fantastic time with some not so fantastic moments thrown in, but what trip doesn't have those!

For those of you that haven't read my pre-trip report, here is a quick synopsis:
Who: Me (Amy), my husband Brian, and our kids Logan (13), Lily (11), and Owen (8)
What: 10 day trip with free dining
When: June 2-11, 2016
Where: Caribbean Beach resort

Unfortunately, our flight was set to leave from Columbus at 5:30am. We live in Dayton, which is a little over an hour away from Columbus, so my goal was to leave our house by 3am on Thursday, June 2. We made it!!

Everyone was very excited!

We made it to the airport before the security check even opened!:eek: By the time we got our bags checked in to Southwest, we only had to wait a few minutes to get through security.
We were in early boarding group A, so we were on the plane in no time! Still excited!

We got to see the sun coming up once we were in the air.

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
We were deciding between Yak and Yeti quick service and Flame Tree for dinner. Yak and Yeti won. I was really wishing we had chosen Flame Tree!!
Brian, Lily, Owen, and I all got the chicken fried rice, and Logan got a PB&J sandwich. I didn't get a pic of his, but here is the rice:

It was kind of dry and tasteless this time! Not at all like the last time we had it!:(
The area where we sat to eat had some nice details though!

The kids wanted to watch It's Tough to be a Bug, so we headed that direction. I got a little distracted on the way there!:oops:

As we were entering the queue, they had already started loading the theater, so we were hurried along, and I didn't get to take any pics other than this one:mad::

One last Tree of Life shot on the way out:

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Next, the kids wanted to try Primeval Whirl. We saw these two on our way over, but the line was too long!

We ran into the Discovery Island Carnivale. It was pretty interesting to stop and watch for a few moments.

We finally made it to DinoLand.

And to Primeval Whirl. I wasn't too sure about doing this because I tend to get motion sickness. Coasters don't bother me, but spinning does, but the kids really wanted to try it, so I sucked it up and got on with them. Brian didn't even try it!

It was really fun, and didn't bother me at all!

Last edited:

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Finally, it was time for Kali River Rapids. Now, I can't stand to walk around wet, so I had no plans whatsoever to ride this! However, I did walk the queue with them since I had never been through, and exited at the last minute. They said people do it all the time!

Here is my view from the bridge where I was waiting for them:

It wasn't long before I could see their raft.

Notice that they don't really look wet at all!

Well, right after that pic, they went under the bridge where spectators can shoot them, and they ended up a little wet! Here is the end result:

Had I been on that raft with them, I can guarantee that we would have been soaked to the bone!
They found a cool fountain on the way back:

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
We weren't sure what to do next. We wanted to stay in the general vicinity because our dining plan tickets for The Jungle Book were for that side of the seating and the EE line was longer than we wanted to wait and there was no way I was going to let Owen go in the single rider line! They were already letting people into the theater, so we decided to just go get seats, then I would leave and get snacks for everyone. When we entered, the CM "directing traffic" advised us that the seats to the far right near the water were the best. He was right!! So if you go to see this show and use FP+, sit all the way to the left in your section, and if you use the dining package, sit all the way to the right of your section. Stand-by didn't have a very good view. A lot of the "action" takes place in the middle, so those are the best places to see.
Our view:

Lily and I then went to get snacks. Frozen lemonade for Brian, the boys, and I, and popcorn for Lily. I found these pics once we got home:

Obviously, I didn't take my camera with me!! Brian tried to act like he had no idea that they had been taken! I wasn't fooled!!
Some more pics (taken by me!!) before the show started:

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
The show:

I don't know what all the hate is about! We all enjoyed it! Now, having said that, we did cancel our FP+ that we had for it the second evening we would be in AK, as we didn't feel a burning desire to see it again! I'm so disappointed we didn't get to see RoL, but I thought this was a nice filler until it does open.

Everyone was done after that, so we returned to CBR to get a good night's sleep.

Tuvalu

The show:I don't know what all the hate is about! We all enjoyed it! Now, having said that, we did cancel our FP+ that we had for it the second evening we would be in AK, as we didn't feel a burning desire to see it again! I'm so disappointed we didn't get to see RoL, but I thought this was a nice filler until it does open.
Our thoughts exactly!! :p

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Saturday, June 4
We were up bright and early the next day to go to DHS. I had us at the bus stop by 7:30 for the 9:00 rope drop since it took forever for a bus to pick us up the previous morning. A bus for DHS pulled up about 5 minutes later!:facepalm: We were in line by 8:00am. Needless to say, Brian and the kids were not too happy with me!

Last edited:

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
We were the second group at our turnstile. I passed the time by taking pics:

We were discussing our plan of attack while standing there. Originally, we had planned that 1 of us would take Logan to ride RnR and the other would take Lily and Owen to ride Toy Story. Well, while we were standing there, Lily and Owen decided they wanted to try RnR. Brian was thrilled, as that is one of his favorite rides!
It was 8:30, and we could tell they were getting ready to let people through the turnstiles. We were approached by a CM and asked if we wanted to be the Trolley Car Family of the Day. We said sure! It entailed opening the Starbucks!
I was able to get a few pics as we were led down the street to Starbucks.

Once there, we entered the building to applause from all the CMs, and the kids got to "flip all the switches" on the trolley car board.

We were given a free beverage each! Unfortunately, Brian and I are not coffee drinkers, so we chose bottles of Coke, the boys got milk. Lily at least chose some frozen concoction! We also received We're Celebrating pins that said we were the Trolley Car Family of the Day, and 2 extra Fastpasses. One was the yellow slip they hand out that have to be used that day, and one was a rider swap return where 5 people could use it for the next 10 days (I think)!
This was our view when we exited Starbucks:

Last edited:

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
I just realized I called them turnstiles. I know that they are touch points, but I'm old and I'll always think of them as turnstiles!!
Here is a pic of one of the fast passes they gave us.
20160604_083600.jpg

And a pic of our pins:
1466722944842-1562146568.jpg

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
As soon as they did the "rope drop", we headed down Sunset Blvd.

It amazed me how many people were literally running!
It killed me not to turn to the right at the end of the street! But instead, all 5 of us turned to the left!

I absolutely cannot stand in this queue without taking a ton of ToT pics!!

Had to get this shot for Lily:

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
All three kids LOVED it!! I knew Logan would, as he'd been on it before, but I wasn't so sure about Lily and Owen!

Owen looks terrified, but he immediately asked if we could ride again!

The plan after was to go get breakfast. I really wanted to go ride ToT, but nobody was interested in going with me :(, so we continued on to breakfast.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom