OUR BEST ITINERARY....Suggestions to improve?

FUNDAD

This will be our first time to DW, although we've been several times to DL. We're so pumped! Our kids are 12, 10, and 8: the boys are into rides, while the oldest, our daughter: performances.... We visit at the end of August. WE SO enjoy the States.....We've heard many good things about DW, and have learned a lot from this forum...thanks!

My wife and I just put the finishing touches on our 7 day resort stay, and would really appreciate any feedback you may have. We want to take full advantage of the 7 days the best we can, but do not want to be hurried. For Days 1 to 3 we room at the Polynesian Resort, and Days 4 to 7 stay at the Animal Kingdom Resort. We've added on a 4 might Wonder cruise. What do you think?:

Day 1 - Magic Kingdom
MK all day, pool breaks at our Poly resort,
Wishes Fireworks boat cruise in evening.

Day 2 - Typhoon Lagoon
Water Park all day, downtown Disney at night.
Plannet Hollywood, DisneyQuest, shopping.

Day 3 - Best/Missed Parts of Magic Kingdom
Redo MK, pool breaks again.
Kona for lunch, Spirit of Aloha Show in evening.

Day 4 - Animal Kingdom
AK all day, pool breaks at our AK resort.
Rainforest Cafe.
Cirque de Soleil (rest before!).

Day 5 - Blizzard Beach
Sleep in. Water Park day (not Saturday).
Simba's Clubhouse, so Jiko for 2!! ;)
Nite vision goggles, firepit stories at our AK resort.

Day 6 - MGM
AK in morning (since staying there), MGM the rest...
Sci-Fi Theatre, 50's Prime Time.
Fantasia show.

Day 7 - EPCOT
AK in morning, Epcot the rest....
Coral Reef, China Nine Dragons (my birthday)
Illuminations.

Day 8,9,10,11 - Disney Cruise
Palo Dining for 2.
Couples Well Being Massage.
Parasail, Banana boat.....Castaway Cay.
Room at Comfort Suites accross from Atlantis...Nassau.

Thanks again for all your help!
Daryl & Connie.

FUNDAD

Original Poster
GrowingUpDisney said:
Its so nice to see that someone else puts so much effort into their Disney itinerary. I do this each and every time we go. (When we go Sept 22 - Oct 6 it will be out 3rd time this year).

I always plan our days around evening EMH as the parks tend to thin out a little as the night gets later. The next thing to go on our itinerary is meal locations (one table service each day). Then we fill in the blanks with water parks (1/2 days always) and other activities such as resort pool time, mini golf, campfire singalong, etc.

We always get through AK in half a day (we don'y usually get back to conservation station though) and usually plan that 1/2 day on a day that MK or EPCOT has EMH. I agree that you will need at least one full day (if not more at EPCOT).

WIth the advise you get from the very knowledgable people on this site, you can't go wrong. You just have to decide what your family will enjoy the most.

I hope you have a GREAT!!! trip and can't wait to hear a report. :animwink:
This sounds like a very good approach....if I had done this type of planning right off, we would have probably reversed our resorts around...(right now, we have the Polynesian resort for the beginning of the week, and the AK resort for the end of the week)...It have been better EMH planning to be at the Polynesian for the EMH MK late in the week instead, and the AK resort for the EMH AK early in the week, etc...oh well, next trip!

Upvote 0

FUNDAD

Original Poster
pinkrose said:
Wow! I can see why you're getting a late start the next moring. Seeing your friends in Toronto will be nice though. :)
For us near the west coast, Toronto seems like the other side of the world! We never get down much...that's why we've been to DisneyLand many times, but not WDW....perhaps after this trip, and the revised plan everyone had a hand in helping us with, we will return many times....

Upvote 0

FUNDAD

Original Poster
pinkrose said:
Thank you! :wave: I have been working hard on it. lol
Here's what the acronyms stand for...
DD = dear daughter
DH= dear husband
DS= dear son
MVMCP= Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party
CS = counter service
GF = Grand Floridian
CP= Candlelight Processional
AGT = American Gardens Theater
Thanks for the dictionary of terms!

Upvote 0

pinkrose

FUNDAD said:
For us near the west coast, Toronto seems like the other side of the world! We never get down much...that's why we've been to DisneyLand many times, but not WDW....perhaps after this trip, and the revised plan everyone had a hand in helping us with, we will return many times....
I've never been to DL, but would like to one day. I think you and your family are going to really like WDW.

You are so welcome on the terms. :wave:

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Gee guys, I was gone for one day and look at all that has happened!!! FunDad, Your new and revised plan looks great!!! Not trying to do too much and if by any chance you have some downtime you can certainly add while you are there. Trying to do too much on any one day will stress out everyone!!!!
Great job on your Itinerary PinkRose!!! I did the Yuletide Fantasy tour last year and I liked it a lot!!!! Just make sure to check the age limits as there is some backstage stuff on this one!!!
Good job all!!! Belle

Upvote 0

pinkrose

wannabeBelle said:
Gee guys, I was gone for one day and look at all that has happened!!! FunDad, Your new and revised plan looks great!!! Not trying to do too much and if by any chance you have some downtime you can certainly add while you are there. Trying to do too much on any one day will stress out everyone!!!!
Great job on your Itinerary PinkRose!!! I did the Yuletide Fantasy tour last year and I liked it a lot!!!! Just make sure to check the age limits as there is some backstage stuff on this one!!!
Good job all!!! Belle
Thanks Marie! I'm doing the Yuletide Fantasy tour alone. Neither of the kids are old enough. That's why it's just my son and I doing the Behind the Steam Engine tour. My daughter is too young for it (you have to 10).

Upvote 0

FUNDAD

Original Poster
pinkrose said:
I've never been to DL, but would like to one day. I think you and your family are going to really like WDW.
From our planning, DL seems to be so similar to WDW MK, it's scary.....But of course WDW has so much more!....It's just similar enough though that we feel right at home planning our MK 'strategy'...

At DL, we've ridden Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror, Jungle Cruise, Big Thunder Mtn Railroad, and Space Mountain quite a bit..also California Soarin, A Bug's Life, Honey I Shrunk, etc.....So we know a bit now what the kids like, and we've practiced the 'Fast Pass' system well...So we feel like we've been "in training" at DL to go to WDW....

Also when down to DL, we go to Universal Studios, Six Flags, Medieval Times, and SeaWorld...We usually stay in one of the hotels right off the grounds across the street from the entrance, with a view of the fireworks at night. Nifty plan, as the entrance is only a five minute walk from the hotel, and the main road in goes right down the middle of the two parks.

But again, WDW seems so much bigger and full of so much more....It's definately going to be a different experience than DL....BTW, that reminds me...we had hoped to go to SeaWorld and Kennedy Space Centre this trip, but couldn't swing it....is this a good extra to do for those WDW visitors that can?...

Upvote 0

FUNDAD

Original Poster
wannabeBelle said:
FunDad, Your new and revised plan looks great!!! Not trying to do too much and if by any chance you have some downtime you can certainly add while you are there. Trying to do too much on any one day will stress out everyone!!!!
Looks like I should of called you first, Marie....Yes, we slimmed down the itinerary a bit....things we cut:

1. DTD
2. Full sit-down lunches (only reserved dinners)
3. Reduced the time at parks - leave a bit earlier (we now average 5-6 hours real ride time per day) - more free time...
4. Living Seas Aqua Tour - (the kids may not be ready for this yet...I don't want to push them)...frees up 3 hours.
5. Disney Quest...(not vital enough to go?)...
6. Character breakfasts (we will get this on our cruise).....
7. Waterparks and AK- to half days instead of full days.....
8. Victoria & Albert's (kids are young, keep funner, more casual meals...)

We swung more time for:

1. Epcot experiences
2. MGM shows
3. Free time, park play, and pool time
4. Musicals such as Hoop Dee Doo
5. Parades and street performances

I think these will be more relaxing....

My kids and wife are the most important in the whole world....I want to spend as much meaningful time with them, and not rush....Thanks again for all your help!

Daryl & Connie

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

FUNDAD said:
Looks like I should of called you first, Marie....Yes, we slimmed down the itinerary a bit....things we cut:

1. DTD
2. Full sit-down lunches (only reserved dinners)
3. Reduced the time at parks - leave a bit earlier (we now average 5-6 hours real ride time per day) - more free time...
4. Living Seas Aqua Tour - (the kids may not be ready for this yet...I don't want to push them)...frees up 3 hours.
5. Disney Quest...(not vital enough to go?)...
6. Character breakfasts (we will get this on our cruise).....
7. Waterparks and AK- to half days instead of full days.....
8. Victoria & Albert's (kids are young, keep funner, more casual meals...)

We swung more time for:

1. Epcot experiences
2. MGM shows
3. Free time, park play, and pool time
4. Musicals such as Hoop Dee Doo
5. Parades and street performances

I think these will be more relaxing....

My kids and wife are the most important in the whole world....I want to spend as much meaningful time with them, and not rush....Thanks again for all your help!

Daryl & Connie
I think this looks great. If you are in a park though and enjoying yourself, certanly dont stress over a missed pool break. Two sit down meals in one day so close together such as lunch or dinner might be a bit much. I tend to do a sit down breakfast and a sit down dinner with perhaps a snack in between if I am hungry. I know you will have a wonderful time!!!! And as you have said before, anything you miss thi trip gets put on for next trip!!!! Belle

Upvote 0

kachow

I think you have the right idea with the pool breaks. My wife and I have been there twice before, and are going again this Thanksgiving, and each time we have usually taken breaks in the early afternoon. We just found we were generally happier, plus we don't have kids yet and wanted to make it to Pleasure Island some evenings without being totally spent.

The last two times we've been there we've done Animal Kingdom in a 1/2 day, but with Everest there now, we may need more time. Plus, I think kids enjoy that park more than we do. We enjoy the river rapids, the safari, Dinosaur and I assume we'll add Everest to that list, but that's probably 2-3 hours tops. Essentially, I'd find it difficult to go there more than once a trip, unless it's a quick parkhopper trip to ride Everest and then head off somewhere else.

With Epcot, you could probably do it in a day, but it's tough because it's so big. Unless your fastpassing is just lining up perfectly, you find yourself doing alot of walking back and forth among the rides. But that said, the World Showcase can be done quickly if all you're interested in is seeing it and picking up some of its ambiance, since that area is mainly eating and shopping, which isn't all that exciting for kids.

Overall our must-sees for any trip are:
1) All the park firework shows; Wishes, Illuminations and Fantasmic
2) Magic Kingdom and MGM daytime parades (AK's and Epcot's are ok, but not must-sees in our opinion)
3) Spectromagic parade

Upvote 0

PhilharMagician

kachow said:
Overall our must-sees for any trip are:
1) All the park firework shows; Wishes, Illuminations and Fantasmic
2) Magic Kingdom and MGM daytime parades (AK's and Epcot's are ok, but not must-sees in our opinion)
3) Spectromagic parade

Epcot daytime parade?:confused: It has been a few years since we have seen that. There are rumors of one coming back for Epcots 25th, but that is a little ways away.

AK's Jamin' Jungle Parade is definately worth seeing!

Upvote 0

kachow

PhilharMagician said:
Epcot daytime parade?:confused: It has been a few years since we have seen that. There are rumors of one coming back for Epcots 25th, but that is a little ways away.

AK's Jamin' Jungle Parade is definately worth seeing!

The last time my wife and I went to Epcot was 2004, and there was a doubledecker bus with a bunch of the key Disney characters like Mickey, Donald, Goofy, etc. I actually don't remember much about it and whether that was all there was or not. I guess if it was just the bus it wouldn't be a parade so much as a mass appearance. Either way, not a must see.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Looks like the itinerary is in great shape. Don't forget to save some of the "cast offs" for future trips.

The Christmas trips are a truly wonderful time. Not only is there all the extra holiday magic, but you get to run in to a lot of great people...(and some OK people :rolleyes: ...kidding) from this site.

As for breakfasts, we tend to like to get up and get going, so either an early riser goes down to the hotel snack area and gets stuff while other are waking or we go to a place in the park...ride something then go there. We usually do Tusker house in AK, ABC Commissary in MGM (sometimes), Electric Umbrella for Epcot and at MK we usually stop at the Main Street Bake Shop.

One final point for you to consider...for your evening in MGM, Brown Derby/Fantasmic...consider getting the dinner package there. For Price Fix, you get most anything from the menu and you get special passes to Fantasmic. The seats are off to one side, but you don't have to wait in line or wait sitting on the nice concrete seats for 1hr+. More information can be found here: http://www.allearsnet.com/din/fantdin1.htm Some people don't care for it, but we've always found it a real convenient approach, and great not having to wait a long time with younger kids.

Guess you're pretty well set, we look forward to your trip report.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
kachow said:
The last time my wife and I went to Epcot was 2004, and there was a doubledecker bus with a bunch of the key Disney characters like Mickey, Donald, Goofy, etc. I actually don't remember much about it and whether that was all there was or not. I guess if it was just the bus it wouldn't be a parade so much as a mass appearance. Either way, not a must see.

Bus is now gone...parades are long gone from Epcot.

Upvote 0

PhilharMagician

kachow said:

Ok that was I believe Characters on Holiday. The bus used to bring the characters out for meet and greet's at differant locations throughout Epcot. Well, now that is gone and the characters can be seen at Character Connection next to Fountain View Cafe.

Upvote 0
FUNDAD said:
This is so smart...if I could go back in time and give myself some planning advice before I booked my flight, I would advise to arrive a day ealier and check in to an offsite place like this ....That way we could of taken advantage of an extra day in the parks....

As it is now, we arrive late in the evening and check in to the resort close to 11pm....so we end up missing that day. Also, we wake up late the following morning...causes a slower start....oh well! Live and learn....there's always next trip!

That's almost better, I think. If you'd gone on a flight the day before (and it sounds as though it would be long and tiring), you might've pushed yourselves too hard at the parks, trying to fit "another day" in. This way you get there, get all the check in business out of the way, and go to bed. Sure, you get a late start, but if you know how to use FastPass and have a park map, you're golden.

Just food for thought...I know you cut out DTD because you didn't want to do too much, but if you have a free day with nothing planned, I just love it down there. Wolfgang Puck's Cafe is a sit down, classy restaurant that still has an atmosphere condusive to kids. Earl of Sandwich is quick and fun, and the Ghirardelli Chocolate shoppe is amazing. If your wife's a shopper like my mom, DTD is the best place in all of WDW.

On every trip to WDW, when we hit our wall (with my family, it's around 10 p.m....with friends, we can make it til 2), Dad, bro, sis and I staggar to the busses while my mother says she can maybe get "just an hour" in at DTD. And on the day of departure, it never fails that when we all wake up, she's been gone for three hours to DTD to just "pick up a few things." She comes back with SO much crap...my Dad spends an hour muttering under his breath as he shoves it all into the already packed suitcases while she says, "Dale, that is going to get broken...Dale, are you shoving?...Dale, just let me do it!"

It's hysterical. My brother, sister and I feel as though if we had popcorn and something to drink, we could spend at least an hour watching it. :lol:

Anyways, it's SO gorgeous, and there's a Rainforest Cafe there too, so if you don't fit in the one at AK, you can try there. I wouldn't recommend Planet Hollywood...to long of a line, too many people, too out of the way to wait and listen for your name.

As for the GF, my friends and I (and the fam) LOVE the GF Cafe. Obviously with your trip, you're not looking to pinch pennies , but the Cafe has AMAZING food and the prices are totally reasonable. Out the window you can see the grounds, and afterwards walk on the beach...so beautiful. Of course, you're staying at the Poly (right?) so you get white sand beaches of your own:animwink: The Spinach dip was to die for. Literally. Still talk about it.

And thanks for letting us see your itineraries...I'm a sad person who likes to sit around in her free time at work and make up Disney Itineraries. (Sigh...at 23, who knew life could be so sad...hehe!)

Seriously though, I love seeing everyone else's ideas...perhaps you need a nanny on your trip...I'm so good with kids...I'd hardly ever shove them out of the way to get Mickey or Minnie's autograph...:lol:

Upvote 0

kachow

FUNDAD said:
:) What a fantastic plan!...the family is in store for some fun!...Lots of free time and flexibility if you want to change, etc...great! You've obviously put some time and thought into things...

By the Way...these acronyms (like DD, DH, DS, MVMCP, CS, GF, AGT...etc).....Sorry....to everyone else on this board these are child's read....but I need a WDW phrase dictionary to understand!:veryconfu....(but then again, I'm still trying to get used to the basics such as lol and IMHO, etc:eek:...)

Your Mornings: I love your attention to breakfasts....My plan lacks that. I'm banking on just grabbing something on the fly...You are much more organized....Also, the variety is really interesting....Whispering Canyon Cafe, Starring Rolls Bakery, Donalds Breakfastosaurus, Crystal Place...they all sound wonderful.....beats the quickie food court....

MK Question: For day 2, how long before Spectro do you plan on arriving? Is 30 min. enough? And same for Wishes?...Also, do you go right from the parade to the fireworks? What's your plan?...Also, for Illuminations, our dinner is 7 pm...if we eat til 8:30/9 no time beforehand to get good positioning...do you get there early to find a place to view, or is the lagoon open enough to see it anywhere?....

XMAS Question: How different is the Christmas experiece?...Sounds fun...love the idea of seeing the decorations..Do you expect the crowds to be more? Yultide Tour looks interesting....

AK Note: For day 5...the notorious Rainforest Cafe....we also do not have one here in Calgary. So perhaps good reason to go....

Spoodles: Love the access to the Boardwalk from backdoor Epcot..great idea and handy to walk from Nine Dragons (so smart!!)...I've heard some interesting things about Spoodles...the open kitchen, food sharing, etc....I too would also like to try it sometime (perhaps our next trip!)....I see the menu has some interesting Med. seafood...Moroccan spiced tuna, chili garlic shrimp, calamari, polenta.....mmmmm. My wife dislikes tapas, but the boys and I are always game to try new food.....Will you try to sit outdoors? It's a small patio, but might be nice to watch the action on the boardwalk.....oh yeh...and watch out for a long line-up...I've heard even with ressies it can be a long wait (at peak season....don't know at your time...),

Again, looks great!
Daryl.
PS - we too keep udating our plan as new ideas come along, etc.....

I wouldn't worry too much about your lack of attention to breakfast. My wife and I usually just grab something on the fly. We stay at Boardwalk in and just grab some coffee and a bagel and head off to a park.

My advice on the Disney nighttime stuff is to view along Mainstreet. I guess it depends on what your plan is for afterwards. The times we've gone the parade has been right before the fireworks so it didn't make sense to move between them, and being close to the entrance is nice for getting out of there quicker. I think last time we may have grabbed our spot 30-45 minutes before the parade. We just grabbed some icecream and then sat on the sidewalk to wait.

For Illuminations, my wife and I grabbed a table in the outdoor mini-restaurant in Mexico. We go there kind of early and had some cocktails, which probably wouldn't be so much fun for the kids. If you don't care about standing, the lagoon is so large that you can pretty easily find a spot to see it. I'd say maybe start scoping out for a spot 20-30 minutes ahead of time.

Regarding X-Mas, my wife and I are heading there Thanksgiving morning and staying for a week. We expect to hit some large crowds Thurs, Fri and Sat, but then expect it to lighten up considerable Sun, Mon and Tues. Supposedly the week after Thanksgiving is a great time to see the X-Mas stuff, because it's all up by the Sunday after Thanksgiving and it's less crowded.

Spoodles is a good restaurant and you're right about it being a good place for plate sharing. Your wife might like it despite its tapas-ness, since I didn't find the food to be much like a typical tapas restaurant. Good sangria too.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom