OUR BEST ITINERARY....Suggestions to improve?

FUNDAD

This will be our first time to DW, although we've been several times to DL. We're so pumped! Our kids are 12, 10, and 8: the boys are into rides, while the oldest, our daughter: performances.... We visit at the end of August. WE SO enjoy the States.....We've heard many good things about DW, and have learned a lot from this forum...thanks!

My wife and I just put the finishing touches on our 7 day resort stay, and would really appreciate any feedback you may have. We want to take full advantage of the 7 days the best we can, but do not want to be hurried. For Days 1 to 3 we room at the Polynesian Resort, and Days 4 to 7 stay at the Animal Kingdom Resort. We've added on a 4 might Wonder cruise. What do you think?:

Day 1 - Magic Kingdom
MK all day, pool breaks at our Poly resort,
Wishes Fireworks boat cruise in evening.

Day 2 - Typhoon Lagoon
Water Park all day, downtown Disney at night.
Plannet Hollywood, DisneyQuest, shopping.

Day 3 - Best/Missed Parts of Magic Kingdom
Redo MK, pool breaks again.
Kona for lunch, Spirit of Aloha Show in evening.

Day 4 - Animal Kingdom
AK all day, pool breaks at our AK resort.
Rainforest Cafe.
Cirque de Soleil (rest before!).

Day 5 - Blizzard Beach
Sleep in. Water Park day (not Saturday).
Simba's Clubhouse, so Jiko for 2!! ;)
Nite vision goggles, firepit stories at our AK resort.

Day 6 - MGM
AK in morning (since staying there), MGM the rest...
Sci-Fi Theatre, 50's Prime Time.
Fantasia show.

Day 7 - EPCOT
AK in morning, Epcot the rest....
Coral Reef, China Nine Dragons (my birthday)
Illuminations.

Day 8,9,10,11 - Disney Cruise
Palo Dining for 2.
Couples Well Being Massage.
Parasail, Banana boat.....Castaway Cay.
Room at Comfort Suites accross from Atlantis...Nassau.

Thanks again for all your help!
Daryl & Connie.

Ivan72

I most heartily recommend Jiko. Awesome Filet Mignon! Try their mac and cheese also. We normally don't do breakfast, but we have sit down meals for lunch and dinner. It's a nice break from the pace of the parks and the summer heat.(But I do love the heat!) Also, the theming and atmosphere is great.

Le Cellier has become a family can't miss favorite during every visit. Often twice. Great people, great atmosphere, great food!:sohappy:

We love Animal Kingdom Lodge. I trust you will too.

I agree that you won't need more than a day at AK even with EE. But maybe a quick return one morning to hit EE again.:D

Your trip sounds like a blast. Enjoy!

Upvote 0

FUNDAD

Original Poster
You guys are the TRUE Unofficial Guides...this forum rocks!!

Connie and I like the "gems" given today:

- Filet Mignon at Jiko....mmmm...I love a good steak (it's starting to show!:rolleyes: )...thanks for the tip!...(I'm the meat eater...my wife is a vegie lover...)...oh well, her loss....more for me!:slurp: ....Sunrise safari, AK resort with breakfast....awesome!...Called, but 'concierge' rooms only and they're fully booked...not offered to us 'regular' guests:( ...manager put me on a waiting list if last minute cancel... Cubana massage, Castaway Cay...YES!! YES!! YES!! We love a good massage...so refreshing after a 'hard' day of play!!:snore: ....thanks!!

- Fast Passes...yes, DL has them...used them a lot...aren't they neat?...The guy who invented these should be given a medal!...I imagine I'll be the 'runner' and strategically skip ahead, while the wife and kids do a few of the shorter-lined rides (hey, wait a minute:hammer: ...the kids are old enough now....Why should I be the runner?!...as long as they have their talk-walkies on)...<EDIT> (*edit)My wife just reminded me we don't want them going too far outa sight!...so looks like I'll be getting some extra excercise after all...(just have to eat more steak!:D )...

- boat ride at Norway....there's a boat at the Norway pavillion?!!...neat!!... MGMyes, it sounds like my daughter will love it too! The boys, well, I'll leave them tied to the new Yeti ride....Liberty Tree....a little character is just what we need... (also the cruise will be full of character greets....)... Thanks for the advice! You guys rock! (my son just leaned over and said 'that's sooooo yesterday, dad':cool:) ...whatever!:animwink: ...

Daryl & Connie...
& kids....

getting real excited now....

Upvote 0

FUNDAD

Original Poster
Picked up 'The Unofficial Guide to WDW 2006' by Bob Sehlinger, and 'Birnbaum's WDW 2006" (cheap...12 bucks each).....we broused them a bit....interesting!....To be honest, we like the info on this forum much better....Thanks again guys!

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Hi there, Make sure to tell your daughter than I recommend that she catches Off Kilter in Canada in World Showcase and Mulch, Sweat & Shears on the Streets of America in MGM Studios. They definitely ROCK!!!!!!!!! Belle

Upvote 0

pinkrose

FUNDAD said:
Picked up 'The Unofficial Guide to WDW 2006' by Bob Sehlinger, and 'Birnbaum's WDW 2006" (cheap...12 bucks each).....we broused them a bit....interesting!....To be honest, we like the info on this forum much better....Thanks again guys!
We like to use the Passporter Guide to Walt Disney World. It has all kinds of neat features in it, along with a lot of great informations. www.passporter.com

Daryl, Mexico also has a boat ride. You are going to have a great time, I just know it. You seem like such a fun dad that there's no way you guys won't have fun!

Upvote 0

PhilharMagician

FUNDAD said:
Day 1 - Magic Kingdom
MK all day, pool breaks at our Poly resort,
Wishes Fireworks boat cruise in evening.

Day 2 - Typhoon Lagoon
Water Park all day, downtown Disney at night.
Plannet Hollywood, DisneyQuest, shopping.

Day 3 - Best/Missed Parts of Magic Kingdom
Redo MK, pool breaks again.
Kona for lunch, Spirit of Aloha Show in evening.

Day 4 - Animal Kingdom
AK all day, pool breaks at our AK resort.
Rainforest Cafe.
Cirque de Soleil (rest before!).

Day 5 - Blizzard Beach
Sleep in. Water Park day (not Saturday).
Simba's Clubhouse, so Jiko for 2!! ;)
Nite vision goggles, firepit stories at our AK resort.

Day 6 - MGM
AK in morning (since staying there), MGM the rest...
Sci-Fi Theatre, 50's Prime Time.
Fantasia show.

Day 7 - EPCOT
AK in morning, Epcot the rest....
Coral Reef, China Nine Dragons (my birthday)
Illuminations.

Day 8,9,10,11 - Disney Cruise
Palo Dining for 2.
Couples Well Being Massage.
Parasail, Banana boat.....Castaway Cay.
Room at Comfort Suites accross from Atlantis...Nassau.

Thanks again for all your help!
Daryl & Connie.

Day 1: I hope you have your ressie for the Fireworks Cruise. If not. Good Luck. It is well worth it. This was one of or most memorable things we have done at WDW.

Day 2: I personally would skip Planet Hollywood. I recommend Portobella Yacht Club, Fulton's Crab House of even Captain Jack's. Better yet go back to the Poly and have dinner at Ohana's.

Day 3: Looks Good

Day 4: Please skip the Rainforest Cafe. As already said try Boma, it is amazing.

Day 5: Looks Good

Day 6: If you want to see Fantasmic (which is a must). I recommend that you get a Fantasmic dining package unless you don't mind waiting for sometimes over an hour in line just to get a seat. The only restaurants that do this are Hollywood & Vine (buffett), Mama Melrose, Brown Derby. I like Mama Melrose.

Day 7: You need a full day plus just to get through this park. I believe EMH evening is on Friday so you might want to schedule your visit to Epcot that day so you have more time. I would go for the Biergarten which has a dinner show (Germany), San Angel (Mexico), or even the Garden Grill over Nine Dragons (China). Their Chinese food is no defferant than you can get at home for alot less money.

Enjoy your cruise. I have never been on one yet.

Upvote 0

chris70785

pinkrose said:
Yes, it's a chain, but we don't have one in Alabama. I have been to one in Nashville, along with the ones at WDW. My kids really enjoy it and to them, and it's not something they can get at home.

I agree with you. We also don't have one in Louisiana and my kids really enjoy it. We have always had a good time at Rainforest.

I would also like to add, don't let the the views of other people deter you from trying something. That way you can make your own decision about whether the restaurant, park, etc. is worthy of your time. Like the saying goes, different strokes for different folks.

Upvote 0
wannabeBelle said:
Hi there, Make sure to tell your daughter than I recommend that she catches Off Kilter in Canada in World Showcase and Mulch, Sweat & Shears on the Streets of America in MGM Studios. They definitely ROCK!!!!!!!!! Belle

They are wonderful - their harmonies, their energy...VERY FUN!! Also, if Voices of Liberty are still @ American Adventure, GO EARLY to see them! They're awesome!!:D

And you don't have to thank us...what is more fun that sharing our valuable knowledge of Disney Trivia with people who ACTUALLY WANT TO LISTEN? I mean, how many of us badger friends and family ALL the time with useless Disney knowledge that they don't care about? These forums are great because you finally feel like people want your advice!! :)

Upvote 0

tink81

Just wanted to clear something up...I thought the Sunrise Safari at AKL is only offered to guests staying on Concierge Level, but I could be wrong. Sounds like an awesome experience nonetheless!

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
You have a great start here, and I would entrust my itinerary to many of the folks you've heard from already. First a couple of general comments. I would suggest you get a copy of the Unofficial guide, it does provide a lot of good ideas and tips. Contrary to some, we really enjoy a lot of sitdown meals and manage to fit everything else in as well. I am also not a fan of Rainforest, and would also suggest an alternative to Planet Hollywood, although the kids will enjoy all the "stuff" to look at. While I love AK, I also agree that more time is needed in Epcot.

Oh, before I forget, BIRTHDAY.... Plan on celebrating the whole week, it doesn't just have to be on just your date. Mention the date at check-in also when you are making meal res. and again when sitting down. When you enter a park, go to guest relations and ask for a birthday pin...and make sure you wear it! I won't go into specifics, because it varies, but it will enhance your time.

I don't know if your family is good for early mornings, but if you are able to get to the parks at opening or with EMH (mornings) you can easily access the major rides, then take a more leisurely pace when the crowds really start at 11-11:30. I wouldn't plan on easy ride access for evening EMH. Also, familiarize yourself with fastpass, it is a great timesaver. Your change to waterparks is also a good one. Get there first thing and leave around 1 or so for best use of your time. The problem you will have in visiting a park after a water park will be in wait time for E ticket rides. If you have them "out of the way" you can enjoy other rides, parades ect. in the afternoons.

Now to be long winded for specifics....

MK: For sit down meals, we like Liberty Tree Tavern (prefer lunch), and Cinderella's Castle for dinner. No characters so a little less hectic at those times. Eating in the Castle has a special ambiance. For the kids, go left to Splash Mountain and Big Thunder first, then over to Space Mountain. You can then fill in with Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Haunted Mansion and what others may be desired. For this park and others, possibly let the kids plan by picking one or two favorites before you go. You have both daytime and nightime parades and if you can, try to catch the fireworks one night (possibly after a waterpark) from inside the park...it is a different experience from the cruise or outside.

Epcot: Meals...many great choices. China is well, Chinese food, and not my favorite (still good). My favorites are Chef's de France, Le Cellier, Rose and Crown (more casual fare), Morocco is a nice difference with entertainment. I am not crazy about the menu in Living Seas/Coral Reef, there are better seafood restaurants. Another dining option is the short walk to Boardwalk...discussed below) For rides, go to Soarin' (right after entrance) first, Test Track then Mission Space. FP Soarin when leaving if you want to do it again.

While pricy, you may want to consider doing the Living Seas Aqua Tour. All in your family (8 and up) can swim in the Living Seas tank using a self contained breather. You have a buoyancy vest on so can't submerge, but it's a wonderful experience. (Discount if you have Disney Visa)
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/parks/tourDetail?id=SeasAquaTourTourPage

MGM: To the right for Rock and Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror first. You can FP the two main shows, Lights, Camera and Indy at the same time you FP rides. Do FP the shows for better seats and less wait. At Lights Camera, try to sit in the center, about 5-10 rows up and have your kids ready to volunteer.

AK: Go first to Expedition Everest, FP it then go on to the Safari. You can get a nice breakfast at Tusker house near the Safari. Dinosaur is good (but it is challenging and a bit scary...you judge the kids). Festival of the Lion King is probably the best show in Disney. All will enjoy. Lunch at Flametree BBQ or Pizzafari or Tusker House. Kali River rapids will get you VERY wet, be warned. Animal viewing is best early AM, next best in the evening. I think you are doing a tour, so will get a nice different perspective.

DTD: Glad you are going to Cirque, outstanding. I would not waste my money on DisneyQuest...it is outdated and as it is slated for closure, not being kept up that well. I already mentioned Planet Hollywood being just OK...there are other places that I prefer for good meals. Although others don't, we always enjoyed Wolfgang Puck Cafe (not the Puck restaurant upstairs).

Boardwalk: You can access the Boardwalk area by the back entrance to Epcot between UK and France. Yachtsman's Steakhouse in Yacht Club and Flying Fish are two superior restaurants.

Misc: Spirit of Aloha show is generally just given an OK rating by many, especially with kids. THE dinner show (IMHO) is Hoop de do Review out at Fort Wilderness. Just to confuse you more, there are some other great restaurants at Grand Floridian and Wilderness Lodge specifically. You may want to give them a look.

For a glimpse of all your restaurant choices and sample menus, look here:
http://www.allearsnet.com/din/dining.htm

Cruise: We really enjoyed ourselves. It takes a little time getting oriented at first, especially with itinerary. Just after you board and get your dining dates, one of you should go to Info/Concierge and make your Palo res (suggest doing it on Parrot Cay days (most casual)...you don't want to miss your night at Animator's Palate). The other person should go to the spa and make your appointments there. You may also want to consider an open air treatment while on Castaway Cay...they fill up fairly quickly. Parasailing will be fun, but possibly pass on the boat and enjoy the island. There is plenty to do right there. The snorkeling area is great fun...do go all the way out to the point as that's where most of the critters are. They also have a ray area as well as separate family, teen and adult areas.

I know I've gone on way too long...if you have any additional questions, feel free to PM me.

Upvote 0

FUNDAD

Original Poster
Thanks!!

Wow, you guys....you are awesome!...The info you've given us is priceless!...
Much better than our books or travel agent's advice....we should pay each and every one of you a FEE for your wonderful help!!
We just hope we can return the favor by contributing what we can to this forum...

We are going over our fine-tunings, and will be posting our FINAL ITINERARY this evening for your inspection....

Thank you all again for your help...you've really impacted us and our trip...
WE ARE VERY EXCITED!!

Daryl & Connie.

Stay tuned.....

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

FUNDAD said:
Much better than our books or travel agent's advice....we should pay each and every one of you a FEE for your wonderful help!!
We just hope we can return the favor by contributing what we can to this forum...

We are going over our fine-tunings, and will be posting our FINAL ITINERARY this evening for your inspection....

WE ARE VERY EXCITED!!

Daryl & Connie.

Stay tuned.....
Hey!!! I Am a travel agent with Kingdom Konsultants!!!! Although as I am fond of saying all of our Konsultants are fans of Disney as well, so we always give great advice based on having done the parks, stayed at the resorts and eaten at the restaurants ourselves!!!! Looking foward to seeing your final Itinerary!!! Belle

Upvote 0

Ivan72

FUNDAD said:

WE ARE VERY EXCITED!!

Daryl & Connie.

Stay tuned.....

The only pay I'd like is for you and your family to have a wonderful, memorable time at WDW! I'd love a report when you return home.

Upvote 0

FUNDAD

Original Poster
It's Done!! It's Done!! It's Done!!

IT'S FINALLY DONE!! OUR INITERARY IS FINALLY DONE!!...(well, not really....it's always a work-in-progress)....

Well, here it is...humbly submitted for your inspection.....(our fingers crossed):

DAY ONE - EMH MAGIC KINGDOM
EMH - morning
Pool Break mid-day
Dole Whip Floats/Liberty Tree
Spectro Magic/Wishes Fireworks (in-park experience)

DAY TWO - TYPHOON LAGOON with DTD/CIRQUE "tacked-on"
Hoop Dee Doo Musical (on the way back)
Pool Break mid-day

DAY THREE - EMH ANIMAL KINGDOM with EPCOT "tacked-on"
ALOHA Show (at our resort)
Pool Break mid-day
Surprise Grande Floridian Spa treatment for wife
and Gr Victorian restaurant (gift to her for "enduring" me all these years)....

DAY FOUR - OPEN DAY
Book as see fit/or relax
(Remember - I have to stay a FUN DAD not a BUSY DAD!!!)

DAY FIVE - BLIZZARD BEACH with MGM "tacked-on"
Jiko

DAY SEVEN - EMH EPCOT
Coral Reef Cafe
Living Seas Aqua Tour
Pool break mid-day
LeCellier
Illuminations

DAY SEVEN - EMH MGM
Sci-Fi Theatre
Brown Dervy
Fantasmic
Pool Break mid-day

CRUISE:
Cabana massages
Palo (during Parot Cay day)
Para-sailing

We think this is a much better balance, and easier pace, leaving 10 hours sleep time at night, and two to three hour mid-day pool breaks each day. Birthday pin/stickers and notice for all ressies...

We took in some great ideas you've given, and it's a great start!
What do you think of our itinerary now?
Daryl & Connie.

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

I Am not too comfortable with the first two tacked on days it seems like you are dong too much running around on those days. Day one looks great! Day two, when were you planning on doing the Hoop De Doo and Cirque in the same day? Sam question for the second taked on day Spirit of Aloha and EPCOT in the same night? That is quite a bit to do in not so much time, I think. Belle

Upvote 0

pinkrose

I agree with WantabeBelle. Those two "tacked on" evenings.... I get tired just reading it. Everything else sounds great to me. :wave:

Upvote 0

FUNDAD

Original Poster
wannabeBelle said:
Hey!!! I Am a travel agent with Kingdom Konsultants!!!! Although as I am fond of saying all of our Konsultants are fans of Disney as well, so we always give great advice based on having done the parks, stayed at the resorts and eaten at the restaurants ourselves!!!! Looking foward to seeing your final Itinerary!!! Belle
Must be fun doing this for a living...You must see quite a few of these itineries in a day....The travel agents I mentioned haven't researched Disney as well...Definately matters if you've stayed at the resorts and eaten at the restaurants yourself!..way to go!...

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom