Trip Report Our 19-Day Mediterranean Adventure – Greece, Turkey and the Search for Free Wifi

Finally, right? It seems like I’ve been waiting forever to start this, but really we’ve only been back three weeks! And in that time I’ve lived in a hotel for two weeks and driven across the country from Washington DC to our new home in...wait for it...Las Vegas! For some reason I have chosen now, surrounded by boxes that need to be unpacked, as the time to start my trip report. Stalling maybe? :D So here it goes!

What: A massive 19 day (13 days on the cruise with 6 more including travel time and extra days in Europe) trip extravaganza. A 12 night Mediterranean cruise with a day in London beforehand and a few days in London and Barcelona afterwards. So yes. This is going to be a long stinking trip report. Oh, and I took 5239 pictures. On my camera! That doesn’t even count the Instagram/iphone photos you’ll see scattered throughout the report.

Great day in the morning.

Why: Because cruises are awesome mostly. But also because I was able to do a last-minute 11 night Med cruise back in April of 2010 with my daughter and some other family and friends, so this was a makeup cruise for my son and husband. It worked nicely as a graduation trip/present. :)

When: June 13-July 1, 2013

I booked this cruise the day it came out, back in January of 2012.

As time got closer we realized it was going to get crazy. My daughter was going to have to miss the last day of school, my son was graduating from high school the Saturday before the trip, we had a house full of family that whole weekend and a big graduation party on Sunday, he then left and was coming home one day early from his senior trip to make it on time, and we were moving across the country to Las Vegas so our household goods were all moved the day before we left. Then the kids were traveling with their youth group to Scotland 3 days after the cruise ended, so it really didn’t make sense for us to come all the way back home and we needed to stay in Europe for three more days before we dropped them off in London Heathrow. Got all that? Yes. Like I said, a little crazy.

Totally worth it though. :)

Who: Us! Here we are a few days before we left! This picture is a celebration of the whole Whiting family – but mostly Chase. The high school graduate. Also appearing in this photo are myself-Tammy, hubby-Stephen, and daughter – Ally.

My parents! My parents were on our last Med cruise, and have been in several of my trip reports. They had quite the trip in store for them. Here they are in Monaco:

My in-laws! My in-laws were also on my last Med cruise, as well as a few other cruises with us, so they may look familiar if you've ever read one of my reports. Here they are in Palo:

My brother-in-law! Scott has appeared in a few trip cruise trip reports as well. He’s the oldest of three boys with my hubby falling in the middle. Here he is in Mykonos:

Mkmommy

I just ran out of time before we left! It was hard with 5 of us. Every time I thought I found something great, it wouldn't work for 3. Plus my parents weren't with me when I was searching most of the time and I hated to make a decision for them on how much to spend!

I wasn't worried. I knew there were hundreds of hotels to pick from! :)

We had a vague plan, but it was a lot of winging it.

You are right. With the prevalence of Priceline/Hotwire for big cities I bet you get a better deal booking last minute.

My daughter is a huge Harry Potter fan and she is going to love your pictures of the studio tour.

Thank you for sharing your trip, you do such an amazing job, feel like I am there.

And more good news from the line – Free Wi-Fi! Woot woot! All the better to Instagram with and make your friends jealous. :D

^Me. Just so you know, she is most definitely referring to me.

I. Am. Geeking. Out.

Get me to London. Now. Oh where is the Floo network when you need it!!!!!!

Last edited:

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Awesome! This one was epic!

I'm not a huge HP fan but my sister would have gone nuts at that museum/studio.

Thank you, Billy! You're in the next one when I finally start it! :)

Thanks for the greater than great TR!! Love to read it and loved the HP pics!

Thanks, FlaggNL. :)

You are right. With the prevalence of Priceline/Hotwire for big cities I bet you get a better deal booking last minute.

My daughter is a huge Harry Potter fan and she is going to love your pictures of the studio tour.

Thank you for sharing your trip, you do such an amazing job, feel like I am there.

It's true. It's so much easier to find hotels these days with internet, and the prices were definitely changing all the time!

Thank you for reading, Lisa! :)

Best Trip Report ever! Thanks for sharing.

That's so sweet! :)

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Wow!! What a great trip and TR! Thank you so much for sharing it with us!

No, thank you for reading, Amy! :)

A. Maz. Ing!

I just told my wife that we're going back to London. She said "Ok". :)

Happy to help, Chuck. Lol

It looks incredible! I'm going to have to convince my parents to take me to London!!!

You do! Work on that!

^Me. Just so you know, she is most definitely referring to me.

I. Am. Geeking. Out.

Get me to London. Now. Oh where is the Floo network when you need it!!!!!!

Absolutely it was you! I can't think of how many times I thought of you on the tour! :)

sweetpee_1993

Oh my! You finished and I'm all teary-eyed! What is it with me today?! Ugh! I'm waaaay too sappy. I need to get back on my diet so my misery will toughen me up. LOL!

Tammy, this report was well beyond any words. Incredible. But it needed to be. What an amazing family you have. Chase is one handsome heartbreaker there. And Ally? Good gracious! Keep a big stick by the door to beat the boys away! LOL! Such an amazing journey you all shared, the highs and lows. The Pneumonia. The hanger pains. All of it culminating with a place like no other. Well, places (plural) because Harrods in itself looked pretty awesome. And cabbages! I love love love that cabbages make ya think of me even if they are those ugly, cheap-looking silky-hair ones. ((I detest those.))

Many congrats on your navigational prowess. Truly impressive!

I just can't say enough about this report. What a spectacular adventure y'all had. Just think, there's still so many more to come.... I love that part!

stillgoofy

I have to agree that is the best trip report I have ever read. Most likely because it seems to have been the best trip ever. What an awesome experience to share with your family. A once in a lifetime opportunity to create life-long memories.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Oh my! You finished and I'm all teary-eyed! What is it with me today?! Ugh! I'm waaaay too sappy. I need to get back on my diet so my misery will toughen me up. LOL!

Tammy, this report was well beyond any words. Incredible. But it needed to be. What an amazing family you have. Chase is one handsome heartbreaker there. And Ally? Good gracious! Keep a big stick by the door to beat the boys away! LOL! Such an amazing journey you all shared, the highs and lows. The Pneumonia. The hanger pains. All of it culminating with a place like no other. Well, places (plural) because Harrods in itself looked pretty awesome. And cabbages! I love love love that cabbages make ya think of me even if they are those ugly, cheap-looking silky-hair ones. ((I detest those.))

Many congrats on your navigational prowess. Truly impressive!

I just can't say enough about this report. What a spectacular adventure y'all had. Just think, there's still so many more to come.... I love that part!

I made you cry?! Wow. I'm good, lol!
Now you'll make me cry complimenting my kids! :) They are awesome.
The lows and the highs all worked together to make it memorable and great. There are many more to come!
Harrods was awesome. I know nothing about Cabbages, but I know I think of you when I see them! :)

I have to agree that is the best trip report I have ever read. Most likely because it seems to have been the best trip ever. What an awesome experience to share with your family. A once in a lifetime opportunity to create life-long memories.

That is so sweet, Kris! It was one of the best trips ever. You are absolutely correct. :)

Isn't it? :D

It is at my house! I would never turn Stephen down if he suggested a vacation. :)

PartOfYourWorld

Tammy! Thanks for taking us along for the journey! I loved this trip report!!!! :)

And thank you thank you soooooo much for posting all those pictures on the studio tour. I was in awe with what Universal ( :eek: swear word here LOL) did with Harry Potter I can only imagine what I would do in person there in London. That is just AMAZING. And thank you for the picture of Snape's potions classroom he is my ABSOLUTE favorite in the whole series. Just incase I never get to London to see that thank you so so much for the pictures of it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom