Trip Report Our 19-Day Mediterranean Adventure – Greece, Turkey and the Search for Free Wifi

Finally, right? It seems like I’ve been waiting forever to start this, but really we’ve only been back three weeks! And in that time I’ve lived in a hotel for two weeks and driven across the country from Washington DC to our new home in...wait for it...Las Vegas! For some reason I have chosen now, surrounded by boxes that need to be unpacked, as the time to start my trip report. Stalling maybe? :D So here it goes!

What: A massive 19 day (13 days on the cruise with 6 more including travel time and extra days in Europe) trip extravaganza. A 12 night Mediterranean cruise with a day in London beforehand and a few days in London and Barcelona afterwards. So yes. This is going to be a long stinking trip report. Oh, and I took 5239 pictures. On my camera! That doesn’t even count the Instagram/iphone photos you’ll see scattered throughout the report.

Great day in the morning.

Why: Because cruises are awesome mostly. But also because I was able to do a last-minute 11 night Med cruise back in April of 2010 with my daughter and some other family and friends, so this was a makeup cruise for my son and husband. It worked nicely as a graduation trip/present. :)

When: June 13-July 1, 2013

I booked this cruise the day it came out, back in January of 2012.

As time got closer we realized it was going to get crazy. My daughter was going to have to miss the last day of school, my son was graduating from high school the Saturday before the trip, we had a house full of family that whole weekend and a big graduation party on Sunday, he then left and was coming home one day early from his senior trip to make it on time, and we were moving across the country to Las Vegas so our household goods were all moved the day before we left. Then the kids were traveling with their youth group to Scotland 3 days after the cruise ended, so it really didn’t make sense for us to come all the way back home and we needed to stay in Europe for three more days before we dropped them off in London Heathrow. Got all that? Yes. Like I said, a little crazy.

Totally worth it though. :)

Who: Us! Here we are a few days before we left! This picture is a celebration of the whole Whiting family – but mostly Chase. The high school graduate. Also appearing in this photo are myself-Tammy, hubby-Stephen, and daughter – Ally.

My parents! My parents were on our last Med cruise, and have been in several of my trip reports. They had quite the trip in store for them. Here they are in Monaco:

My in-laws! My in-laws were also on my last Med cruise, as well as a few other cruises with us, so they may look familiar if you've ever read one of my reports. Here they are in Palo:

My brother-in-law! Scott has appeared in a few trip cruise trip reports as well. He’s the oldest of three boys with my hubby falling in the middle. Here he is in Mykonos:

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
I want to apparate to London right. now.

Loved this TR Tammy, I feel like I got to know you through your stories and pics. Can't wait for your next one.

Lol! We should all apparate there.
Thank you so much, akayw0718!

Tammy! Thanks for taking us along for the journey! I loved this trip report!!!! :)

And thank you thank you soooooo much for posting all those pictures on the studio tour. I was in awe with what Universal ( :eek: swear word here LOL) did with Harry Potter I can only imagine what I would do in person there in London. That is just AMAZING. And thank you for the picture of Snape's potions classroom he is my ABSOLUTE favorite in the whole series. Just incase I never get to London to see that thank you so so much for the pictures of it!

Thanks, Jess! :)

You are so welcome. It was definitely amazing. I love the Wizarding World in Universal and this just blew me away. You will have to go one day!

Someone needs to tell the Mrs. that then!

I'll tell her!! :)

meggo819

I absolutely LOVED this trip report! Your pictures are incredible! I recently booked a Mediterranean cruise for next October, so it was fun seeing some of the ports we'll be going to. I'm sure I'll be coming back to this report (& maybe asking you some questions!) as the time for our cruise gets closer.

I was also in London this past March & made the same mistake when going to the HP tour! I had stopped at Platform 9 3/4 on my way, so I was already a little late & didn't know about the express vs. non-express train. I was definitely outside of my time window, but they let me in anyway :) Definitely a magical experience & the highlight of my few days in London! When Harry, Ron, & Hermione walked into the great hall & then the screen lifts & you're staring at the same doors... I may have been a little misty-eyed ;)

Thanks for sharing your trip w/ us!

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
I absolutely LOVED this trip report! Your pictures are incredible! I recently booked a Mediterranean cruise for next October, so it was fun seeing some of the ports we'll be going to. I'm sure I'll be coming back to this report (& maybe asking you some questions!) as the time for our cruise gets closer.

I was also in London this past March & made the same mistake when going to the HP tour! I had stopped at Platform 9 3/4 on my way, so I was already a little late & didn't know about the express vs. non-express train. I was definitely outside of my time window, but they let me in anyway :) Definitely a magical experience & the highlight of my few days in London! When Harry, Ron, & Hermione walked into the great hall & then the screen lifts & you're staring at the same doors... I may have been a little misty-eyed ;)

Thanks for sharing your trip w/ us!

Thank you, Meggo!
Yay for you! So fun!
I'm glad it wasn't just me! I thought they may show us a little grace for being late, but we had one of the last two time slots of the day! I was afraid we'd also be shut out because it was closing!
I felt the same way about the screen lifting. We gasped when we realized what we were looking at. :)

PolynesianPrincess

What an amazing TR Tammy! I pretty much just spent my whole work day catching up on it! Between doing work things, of course!

Rome is DEFINITELY on my bucket list, most specifically the Trevi Fountain and the Sistine Chapel.

The segway tour looks like SO much fun!! My mom wants to look into one for our port day in either Cozumel or Falmouth on the cruise next fall! I told her I read about you all doing it and it looks super cool!

Mykonos looks amazing. I ued to work for a travel consultant and they sent everyone on what they called "fam trips" each fall/winter. Basically we went over and met with some of the car rental agencies in the bigger cities in Europe that we work with. I went to Zurich and then up to Munich. Both were gorgous. the Swiss Alps are so beautiful. But I think after seeing Mykonos, that might be my new must visit location!!! I love European architecture in general and the little "villages" almost, how the houses are so small and right on the road. And the roads are so super narrow. So different than what you see here!

The food looks so delicious and you photos are outstanding as always! Thanks for sharing this with us! :)

Mrs.Skellington

Finished. I'm a little sad it's over. Loved all the pictures and enjoyed all the commentary. Can't wait until we go. Soon. Very soon. Probably skipping out on the Bahamas for a Med cruise. We shall see.

cfry06

What an amazing report!!! Thank you so very much for allowing us to share your trip with you. Each place looked truly spectacular, each in its own way.

Harry Potter tour - OMG amazing!! Absolutely wish to make it there!!

Thanks again! :)

DisneyMorgan

I joined this site just to be able to comment on this trip report (and i'm a disney nerd too :D)! And OH MY GOSH IT WAS AMAZING! I've been following this report and reading all of your other ones! Your pictures are fantastic and make me want to travel to Europe even more!! And I'm totally jealous of y'all touring Harry Potter!! I want to so00 bad! And now I want to do a trip report for when I went to WDW last Nov!

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
What an amazing TR Tammy! I pretty much just spent my whole work day catching up on it! Between doing work things, of course!

Rome is DEFINITELY on my bucket list, most specifically the Trevi Fountain and the Sistine Chapel.

The segway tour looks like SO much fun!! My mom wants to look into one for our port day in either Cozumel or Falmouth on the cruise next fall! I told her I read about you all doing it and it looks super cool!

Mykonos looks amazing. I ued to work for a travel consultant and they sent everyone on what they called "fam trips" each fall/winter. Basically we went over and met with some of the car rental agencies in the bigger cities in Europe that we work with. I went to Zurich and then up to Munich. Both were gorgous. the Swiss Alps are so beautiful. But I think after seeing Mykonos, that might be my new must visit location!!! I love European architecture in general and the little "villages" almost, how the houses are so small and right on the road. And the roads are so super narrow. So different than what you see here!

The food looks so delicious and you photos are outstanding as always! Thanks for sharing this with us! :)

Of course you were doing work things! Lol

Do the segways!! They were so fun!

Zurich and Munich sound wonderful. I've been, but not since I was little. And now you must go to Mykonos!! :)

Thanks for reading, Darolyn.

Finished. I'm a little sad it's over. Loved all the pictures and enjoyed all the commentary. Can't wait until we go. Soon. Very soon. Probably skipping out on the Bahamas for a Med cruise. We shall see.

Thank you Stephanie! If it's between the Bahamas and the Med, definitely go Med! :)

What an amazing report!!! Thank you so very much for allowing us to share your trip with you. Each place looked truly spectacular, each in its own way.

Harry Potter tour - OMG amazing!! Absolutely wish to make it there!!

Thanks again! :)

Thank you so much, cfry06! You are so right, each was wonderful in its own way.

Harry Potter was amazing in every way, lol!

I joined this site just to be able to comment on this trip report (and i'm a disney nerd too :D)! And OH MY GOSH IT WAS AMAZING! I've been following this report and reading all of your other ones! Your pictures are fantastic and make me want to travel to Europe even more!! And I'm totally jealous of y'all touring Harry Potter!! I want to so00 bad! And now I want to do a trip report for when I went to WDW last Nov!

Well I am so flattered, MorganInWonderland! Thank you so much for reading and joining!
Definitely post a report after you go! I'd love to read it! :)

lbrad

LOVED every minute of your TR!!!
Europe is on my Bucket List!!! Now to convince DH ;)
Harry Potter Tour looks awesome!
Thanks for sharing your journey with us.
Your family is beautiful <3

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
LOVED every minute of your TR!!!
Europe is on my Bucket List!!! Now to convince DH ;)
Harry Potter Tour looks awesome!
Thanks for sharing your journey with us.
Your family is beautiful <3

Thank you, Lisa! I'll talk to your hubby, lol! :)
Thank you for reading!

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Wow, never have I ever had such a desire to go to London! I MUST see that Harry Potter museum someday! :eek:

Also I must get me one of those telescoping forks :D

Great report and flabbergastingly amazing photos, as always, Tammy. Loved the whole thing!!

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Wow, never have I ever had such a desire to go to London! I MUST see that Harry Potter museum someday! :eek:

Also I must get me one of those telescoping forks :D

Great report and flabbergastingly amazing photos, as always, Tammy. Loved the whole thing!!

Amber you must go to London!

And really, who wouldn't be better off with a telescoping fork. Lol

Thank you for reading! :)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Wow. What an amazing trip. I just loved your sons days 'till college, hope that's going well?

And I'm wondering how Phenomena is doing now?

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Wow. What an amazing trip. I just loved your sons days 'till college, hope that's going well?

And I'm wondering how Phenomena is doing now?

It's going very well, thanks Gabe! He loves it! I just hope he's studying occasionally too. :)

The Pneumonia is so much better! I think she's fully recovered! Still in the process of insurance filings.

sweetpee_1993

It's going very well, thanks Gabe! He loves it! I just hope he's studying occasionally too. :)

The Pneumonia is so much better! I think she's fully recovered! Still in the process of insurance filings.
Totally just reminded me to go get my insurance policy for Thanksgiving. You never fail to be helpful! ;)

Delly

What a wonderful trip report thank you for sharing- I would love to do this cruise!

Isn't the Harry Potter tour amazing- just as a side note did you know that in the last room with all the wands that they are actually a wand for each person that worked on the films! We found Robert Patterson's wand :)

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
What a wonderful trip report thank you for sharing- I would love to do this cruise!

Isn't the Harry Potter tour amazing- just as a side note did you know that in the last room with all the wands that they are actually a wand for each person that worked on the films! We found Robert Patterson's wand :)

Thanks for reading, Delly!

It is amazing! That's what it was!!! Thank you! I knew Ally told me something about those wands but I couldn't remember what! Thank you for telling me! :)

Mkmommy

You saved the day!

We were in Rome on Saturday , exhausted after 5 ports in 6 days but determined to see as much of Rome as possible in a day. We get off the ship early, store our luggage at the hotel and tour the Colosseum. We start walking to the Pantheon and my friends get this look of we can't go any further, and what is right there, an Irish Pub , just like in your report.

We had a great lunch and were able to continue on with our day.

Thanks again for all your great tips.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
You saved the day!

We were in Rome on Saturday , exhausted after 5 ports in 6 days but determined to see as much of Rome as possible in a day. We get off the ship early, store our luggage at the hotel and tour the Colosseum. We start walking to the Pantheon and my friends get this look of we can't go any further, and what is right there, an Irish Pub , just like in your report.

We had a great lunch and were able to continue on with our day.

Thanks again for all your great tips.

That is so funny!! That's exactly what happened to us! We definitely looked like we couldn't go any further. So glad it helped you too! :)

Did you love Rome?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom