Ouch! New Universal Commerical Takes shot at Disney

pat_naughty05

wannab@dis said:
Maybe not as far as the parks go, but their marketing strategy seems to be stricken with an inferiority complex. They seem to have a problem selling their product without using references to or even a derogatory stance against Disney. When a business has to mention their competition (or make remarks that infer the competition) then they have realized their product is inferior, believe their target consumers see it as inferior or just see a need to ride the coat tails of their competition's success.

When was the last time that you saw any Disney marketing (parks, television, movies, etc) that made a reference to their competion? I've never seen any! But you see lots of companies (not just Universal) that use Disney's lead to help advertise their own product. (Shrek anyone?) :lol:

While I REALLY don't like these new commercials, I think they're hardly a representation of Universal having an inferior product. They're just demonstrating that the experience at Universal is different then that at Disney. In a way, it was a bit of a gamble: Disney is famous for the "magic". Universal said flat-out that you will NOT be getting that experience here, and if that's not your thing, then come see us. But Universal certainly had a better strategy with their old commercials.

wannab@dis

pat_naughty05 said:
While I REALLY don't like these new commercials, I think they're hardly a representation of Universal having an inferior product. They're just demonstrating that the experience at Universal is different then that at Disney. In a way, it was a bit of a gamble: Disney is famous for the "magic". Universal said flat-out that you will NOT be getting that experience here, and if that's not your thing, then come see us. But Universal certainly had a better strategy with their old commercials.
I didn't mean to say they have an inferior product, but that it seems their marketing implies that at times. It does appear to me that they "believe their target consumers see [the parks] as inferior or just see a need to ride the coat tails of their competition's success."

loriwdunn

This is just a question and I am not knocking Universal, but does anyone travel to Florida just for Universal? I like Universal, but if DW wasn't in Florida, there is now way I would spend a vacation just to go Universal. Do people go on vacation only to Universal without going to DW? I am just curious.

Speaking of the commercial, isn't there a line about throwing up from hugging princesses? I agree with that sentiment...

Unfortunately for Disne, people respond better to low blows like this. Maybe dDisney should Advertise; "Come to the place where ORIGIONAL ideas are born, The First of it's kind in the world, The Most for you Bucks is reached, Where we DON'T STEAL Creators, Where QUALITY comes first, Not the COPY CAT parks in orlando. The park that brought a small city in florida alive boosted the economy and made others FOLLOWERS.

pat_naughty05

wannab@dis said:
I didn't mean to say they have an inferior product, but that it seems their marketing implies that at times. It does appear to me that they "believe their target consumers see [the parks] as inferior or just see a need to ride the coat tails of their competition's success."

Oh, okay. Sorry, I think I may have misread. But either way, I still think that they are trying to show the difference between the resorts, rather than bash Disney. But I definitely get what you're saying, and to an extent, agree with you.

SIR90210

Laufschneller65 said:
Unfortunately for Disne, people respond better to low blows like this. Maybe dDisney should Advertise; "Come to the place where ORIGIONAL ideas are born, The First of it's kind in the world, The Most for you Bucks is reached, Where we DON'T STEAL Creators, Where QUALITY comes first, Not the COPY CAT parks in orlando. The park that brought a small city in florida alive boosted the economy and made others FOLLOWERS.

Done tactfully, that would be fantastic.

splitdrums81

I just think its funny that at the end of the Universal commercials that at the end it says something about kids stay free ( something like that, i dont want to say for sure because it has been a week or two since i last saw one, but the same effect to it with kids and something being free) and i just thought after saying something about Disney about being too old to still go there, they try to get kids to come there by saying itll be free for them. Kinda ironic i thought.

JROK

loriwdunn said:
This is just a question and I am not knocking Universal, but does anyone travel to Florida just for Universal? I like Universal, but if DW wasn't in Florida, there is now way I would spend a vacation just to go Universal. Do people go on vacation only to Universal without going to DW? I am just curious.

Yes! I personally know of atleast 10 people who travel from out of state (and even from the UK and Belgium) just to go to Halloween Horror Nights each year... so yes, there are people out there...

dig8x

splitdrums81 said:
I just think its funny that at the end of the Universal commercials that at the end it says something about kids stay free ( something like that, i dont want to say for sure because it has been a week or two since i last saw one, but the same effect to it with kids and something being free) and i just thought after saying something about Disney about being too old to still go there, they try to get kids to come there by saying itll be free for them. Kinda ironic i thought.

Im not sure i would say they say that to market for kids. As opposed to listing that there for the adults. There is no need to have to pay admission for a child. Half the time they wont remember what happened anyway. I live in Florida, and have my entire life. I dont remember the 1st few times i went to disney, but im fairly certain my mom had to pay for me to go. The only thing i remember from being a kid is the subs at 2000 leauges leaking.

I think they are going at the angle of, we got some stuff for your kids to do (althought not much, they have i think 5 or 6 ride/areas dedicated to kids. Your kids get in free, and you can have a good time for yourself. Thats just the way i see it though, you could absolutely be right, but lets face it, UO will never have the child base that WDW does... UO knows that as well.

FigmentJedi

I have one little phrase from the 90's that summarizes Universal's campaign: "Sega does what Nintendon't"
Universal needs to be a bit more mature then that. The I Want commercials were much better then the "I liked fairy tales... WHEN I WAS 5!" thing.

disney.co.nr

here's how I look at it:

Disney is to coke, as Universal is to pepsi (at least in terms of commercials anyway) Pepsi takes stabs at Coke, while Universal takes stabs at Disney. You also dont see disney or coke taking stabs at universal or pepsi for one reason: numbers. Why would a company that is doing outstandingly well be taking stabs at its competitors, it wouldnt need to, they are already doing better than their competitors.

idk just how I look at it, feel free to disagree!:wave:

PLaYaGRaNdE

Whoa...sorry to create this fight and stuff. I just want that commercial.

AndyMagic said:
The "Vacation from the Ordinary" commercials can be seen on Universal-Excitement.com. The current ones are basically just dumbed down edited versions of the ones on that site.

Ok so now can we lay this thread to rest?
Hey I went to the site and I guess I'm kinda stupid because I can't find it. Can you please help me.

Thanks,
Kyle

fantas-mickey

I think the Universal commercials are funny. I think It's funny how badly they hate disney, for example, I went to Universal wearing a disney shirt and hat... :brick: let just say ... it's NOT the best thing to wear in Universal.:cry: SO MUCH HATRED.

Man those comercials are funny even though they are never gona beat disney(but i love USF and IOA either way).Do you think these adds are gona help them bring people into their parks that woudn't have considered it before?and not jus the parks the resorts as well.

Dwarful

AB & Miller have gone to court over this very subject..ok not Disney/Universal but taking cheap shots. Miller did comercials that implied that AB products were less than quality...Miller had to pull at least one commercial involving the umpires I believe because they misrepresented AB products...I believe that was in regards to the "lite" beer

*oh sorry, when I say AB I refer to Anheuser Busch ---Budweiser etc.,

Is it right? no, will Universal and other companies do what it takes in the 21C. to get people to use their products? yep.

The Universal ad that bugs me the most is the one with the sour looking girl who says "If I had had to hug one more Princess on my vacation, I was gonna hurl." Every time I see this, I cant help but say out loud "Seeing the look on your face, I'll bet the Princesses had to take some Pepto when they were done with you too."
Sorry if that sounds mean,:lookaroun but I cant stand those commercials.

100th post.....WOO HOO!!!:sohappy:

disney_nutter

loriwdunn said:

Speaking of the commercial, isn't there a line about throwing up from hugging princesses? I agree with that sentiment...

I travel from northern ireland at least every halloween for the HHN sadly this year i didnt get to come down due to my current relocation

bgraham34

I wouldn't say its low. Some people just dont like Disney. Those people are usually very angry and hate happiness. So let them goto Universal. Dont work up a sweat over it.

JROK

Seriously, with all this Universal bashing, what makes Disney theme parks so much greater than Universal theme parks? I'm curious to find out because I really don't know...:p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom