O'Sentinel - NextGen - 1/17/10

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Look at the size of my wadd.

1-loads-of-money.JPG

raven

I've been in the test lab for the NGEP and all I can say is that it's going to be very cool when they go through with it. I can't explain anything more but I was blown away when I saw it.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I've been in the test lab for the NGEP and all I can say is that it's going to be very cool when they go through with it. I can't explain anything more but I was blown away when I saw it.

So its something to do with personalised settings for air con and fans, excellent news for summer visits.

hpyhnt 1000

Um, they do this now, haven't you seen the electronic signs on both sides of Future World?

Not to mention Uni's IoA has a much cheaper system where you put a message board with attraction wait times in every land. Simple, effective, and about 1/1 billionth the price. Certainly there's more to this new technology then wait times, but should wait times be one of the components, thats not going to cut it. :shrug:

Did Knee

I also agree with MontyMon.

I just can't fathom $1.5 B being only what we're thinking of...the types of integration we're discussing doesn't sound that expensive to me, so the plan might be much bigger than we're thinking of.

Only time (or really daring insiders) will tell.

I second the motion. This is the company that bought a couple thousand acres of central Florida under a series of assumed names. RFID and new software are NOT going to cost a BILLION dollars plus. I smell a red herring, bait and switch, the old "hand is quicker then the eye". I know I'm going to be flamed for promoting a conspiracy theory, but something here just does not pass the smell test. This smells suspiciously like mouse..... :brick:

RSoxNo1

The thing is, we've been hearing about this for over a year. The 1.5 Billion price tag may already be starting. Disney has the tendency to do the $30,000 toilet move where things cost far more than they should.

That being said, I'm intrigued, and I want to find out more.

DisneyParksFan1

This is all interesting. In my opinion, there's no way they are simply RFID'ing the WDW Resort with ALL that money. I think there's more to it.

Or, as Did Knee said this was the company that bought thousands of acres of land in Central Florida with a series of assummed names. Could this possibly be a resort-wide expansion like what is rumored for Disneyland? Or could this be the rumored 5th Gate? I hope it's not the second one, they should fix what they have now first, then worry about a new gate.

aladdin2007

I just dont know what to think :lookaroun, the privacy part concerns me.......but if they are going to do all this new tech stuff yet make cuts into the new fantasyland etc etc, that bothers me,,we cant even get a new afternoon parade either yet they can spend on all this? Im sure its interesting but it just seems like theres so much other that needs attention.

WDW1974

I hate this type of posting style ... where someone comes in and says/acts like they've seen something, but can't/won't say more.

It is very annoying.

Almost as bad as name-dropping ... and using catch-phrases like ... I dunno say ... Targeting.

That really stinks ... like the TTC restrooms (available soon on the new Jeff Lange DVD: Classic WDW Restrooms Volume 1 with director's comments!)

I really wish we had a forum here where spineless folks could basically go and call others names under the guise of discussing 'posting styles' ... I would like be so there!:rolleyes::wave::drevil:

WDW1974

Even though it could be spent else where, I have confidence in this project. Some of the things they could do would be awesome.

Misplaced confidence, perhaps?

The chatter has quieted considerably, which usually means something is about to happen (hey, is that shoes dropping? ... I hope they're designer!)

I do think there are some troubling security issues with this technology. Just like I don't feel I should have to give Disney any info (let alone the song and dance they put you through) just to get a rate quote on say WL for 2/22 for six nights with an AP discount.

This is the culmination of what began with FastPass and Pal Mickey and Magic Your Way and Destination Disney.

It's a way for Disney to either craft a magical WDW vacation for your family based on your preferences OR for them to control ever aspect of your visit by almost tracking you like a dog around property and monitoring everything from spending to what attractions you go on to what you eat and when etc ... I do believe the USA/DVCer AP has some part of this too.

What I'm waiting to hear is the ONE HUGE thing that will make fanbois foam with glee ... that's the big unknown ... or is it?

Maerj

I echo these remarks. I suppose the little ones might get excited by hearing a Seven Dwarf say their name at SWSA, but I bet they'd be just as, if not more, excited if the new Fantasyland had another two or three rides attached with it. :shrug:

My little one would go completely nuts if Snow White or any of the seven dwarfs said her name as she got off of the ride. We would never hear the end of it! :lol:

GenerationX

As someone who has been in IT for many years, I have to believe that Disney Marketing and Disney Operations are absolutely salivating at the possibilities. So much relevant, useful, timely data. I'm as interested in how Disney will use the information internally as much as I am how it will benefit me as a guest.

raven

This is all interesting. In my opinion, there's no way they are simply RFID'ing the WDW Resort with ALL that money. I think there's more to it.

There is. It goes beyond the resort.

I hate this type of posting style ... where someone comes in and says/acts like they've seen something, but can't/won't say more.

It is very annoying.

Almost as bad as name-dropping ... and using catch-phrases like ... I dunno say ... Targeting.

That really stinks ... like the TTC restrooms (available soon on the new Jeff Lange DVD: Classic WDW Restrooms Volume 1 with director's comments!)

I really wish we had a forum here where spineless folks could basically go and call others names under the guise of discussing 'posting styles' ... I would like be so there!:rolleyes::wave::drevil:

Well since you claim to know the answers to everything why don't you just tell everyone.

All of people involved in the project have signed confidentiality agreements. So, all I can say is that it's going to be very good when it comes to fruit.

Figments Friend

As someone who has been in IT for many years, I have to believe that Disney Marketing and Disney Operations are absolutely salivating at the possibilities. So much relevant, useful, timely data. I'm as interested in how Disney will use the information internally as much as I am how it will benefit me as a guest.

As long as it is the Guest that benefits, in a truly perceived way, will this be successful. I have good vibes coming from this project, and i think folks will be surprised at what is on tap.

As long as it is not something that is 'gimmicky'...

It should be 80% Guest Benefit, and 20% Disney Marketing/Ops Benefit.

For that enormous amount of money, i am certain this must be something major. Wether 'majorly positive' or 'majorly negative' it is way too early to tell.

I think it will be a plus. Looking forward to what may lie ahead!

I am guessing we will be seeing the rollout coming in time for WDWs 40th next year...yes? Would be a fantastic way to promote/market the '40th Birthday' of the place...no?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom