O'Sentinel - NextGen - 1/17/10

DonaldDoleWhip

I knew some people would still see negatives in this though. :rolleyes:
Your comment is completely unjustified, considering how controversial this project actually sounds.

Seriously, a lot of people are concerned with privacy today. I don't like the prospect of Disney stalking me so they can call my phone and tell me to spend money on a sit down meal. And I haven't been a fan of Disney's "interactive screen" experiences like Turtle Talk, MILF, or even TSMM, so I'd rather have some incredible additions to the parks, as opposed to Donald saying hi to me.

Furthermore, I hate super-planning. I prefer to be spontaneous - for example, I decide which park I'm going to when I wake up in the morning, or while waiting to see which bus comes first. If Disney created a system where you could reserve ride times in advance, I would never be able to ride my favorite attractions again.

We're not just being negative. This project sounds seriously controversial, and while it could "enhance the guest experience" for some people (aka so they spend more money), it will harm the experience for others. Especially those who are spontaneous, like to have privacy, or would rather have better rides then characters addressing us by name.

kcnole

This better blow me away is all I have to say. For 1 billion dollars I have faith that it will. That said, without being able to envision anything with this technology that can really blow me away, I'd much rather see that money getting put into the parks for new attractions.

_Scar

Your comment is completely unjustified, considering how controversial this project actually sounds.

Seriously, a lot of people are concerned with privacy today. I don't like the prospect of Disney stalking me so they can call my phone and tell me to spend money on a sit down meal. And I haven't been a fan of Disney's "interactive screen" experiences like Turtle Talk, MILF, or even TSMM, so I'd rather have some incredible additions to the parks, as opposed to Donald saying hi to me.

Furthermore, I hate super-planning. I prefer to be spontaneous - for example, I decide which park I'm going to when I wake up in the morning, or while waiting to see which bus comes first. If Disney created a system where you could reserve ride times in advance, I would never be able to ride my favorite attractions again.

We're not just being negative. This project sounds seriously controversial, and while it could "enhance the guest experience" for some people (aka so they spend more money), it will harm the experience for others. Especially those who are spontaneous, like to have privacy, or would rather have better rides then characters addressing us by name.

Yes you will. Don't get all dramatic and say your favorite attractions won't be ridable anymore. :rolleyes:

If Disney spent 1.5 BILLION on this I'm guessing they weighed the pros and cons before starting this project. Because you know, it's common sense.

DonaldDoleWhip

Yes you will. Don't get all dramatic and say your favorite attractions won't be ridable anymore. :rolleyes:

If Disney spent 1.5 BILLION on this I'm guessing they weighed the pros and cons before starting this project. Because you know, it's common sense.
Just look at Disney dining. Now you can call/check online to book Chef Mickey's, LeCellier, etc, 180 days in advance, and they're still completely booked for your trip. Or if you show up at WDW without any dining reservations (or try to make bookings a few weeks in advance), you aren't getting into most sit down restaurants.

Why wouldn't the same thing happen with Everest, Soarin', Rock n Roller Coaster, Space Mountain, etc? And I don't mean that it would literally be impossible to ride them, but rather the wait times would be sharply increased, to the point where I simply couldn't wait for them. As of now, I already skip Soarin' when the wait is unbearable (and I've completely given up on TSMM because I don't like it very much), but reserving ride times in advance would only spread this problem to other attractions.

And yes, there will be pros and cons. But the pros will definitely help certain people out more than others, while the cons will be more damaging to certain people. Again, see Disney's recent changes (within the last 4-5 years) to Disney dining.

wdwfan94

I'm with the people who would rather see this money go into new attractions and lengthy refurbs. Sure having Mickey your name while your getting his autograph or having jack sparrow call out your name might be kind of cool, its really not all that special when it's happening to nearly everyone else too. However, the big thing that I really don't want to happen is this reserve your ride time or whatever it is. Seriously, if they end up going through with that then attractions might end up like the restauraunts. Also, people shouldn't have to schedule every thing they are going to do one day and what park they are going to go to. People should'nt have to follow a schedule when they are on vacation. Instead they should decide what park they want to go to that morning and decide what ride they want to ride while they are in the park. Not to metion the fact that the park would seem a lot more crowded like the article said. There's also the fact that it would basically kill off some amazing queues, and queues that help tell the story of the ride. Anyway, the bottom line is I don't think that many people would want to super plan everything they do on their vacation long before they actually get there,then have to follow a schedule as if they are going to school or work,and being called over to rides like they are waiting for a table at Applebee's.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I think all of the speculation serves only to rile up the paranoid and over-thinkers. Disney hasn't said anything about the project, but bloggers and forum members have already decided in their heads that the project will destroy spontaneity, run roughshod over personal privacy and apparently obliterate all that is good in the world! :rolleyes:

Take a step back, take a deep breath and relax. :cool:

Assuming that the speculation is correct and they'll provide the ability to advance select FP times on favourite rides. Would it not make sense for Disney to split the FP availability between the current system and the new? Disney is unlikely to want to entirely alienate locals who attend the parks on whim [I will grant that DDP has done just that - see next point].

Being called on your cell if you don't have ADRs when there are TS openings nearby sounds like an effort to correct the impact on locals of DDP and the ADR system. I would guess there would be an ability to "opt out" of this particular service, but it might be a Godsend to people who are interested.

Personal privacy hasn't existed to any great extent for years. Credit card companies know what you spend and where, as do banks. Your movements can be tracked to a certain extent by ubiquitous surveillance cameras. Having an RFID chip that identifies me to a ride and offers "personalization" within the experience or being able to charge purchases seamlessly is the least of my privacy worries. Living "off the grid" may seem vitally important to some, but I neither care nor worry about it. I'd rather have an RFID implanted that can contain every single piece of information about me, all my credit cards and my various and sundry Government-issued ID including my Passport than carry all that crap around with me constantly at the risk of being lost or stolen, let alone having to sort through it all to find the currently required one. As long as only those who need to see specific bits of the data have access to it, why would I care if it's all in the same chip?

I'll take whatever Disney develops and use it to my advantage in whatever way I can. If you want to be spontaneous, go to Six Flags. WDW requires planning, I'm prepared to plan. :shrug:

kimmychad

I will also echo other posters concerns about privacy. It bothers me every time I call disney for a hotel reservation and they try to figure out how many times I've been there.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I also agree with MontyMon.

I just can't fathom $1.5 B being only what we're thinking of...the types of integration we're discussing doesn't sound that expensive to me, so the plan might be much bigger than we're thinking of.

Only time (or really daring insiders) will tell.

SWatsi

Following the personalised experience theme, it would be interesting if the system would remember if you have visited a certain attraction during your holiday and give you a different experience. For example a different drop sequence than you had the first time. I heard something about Star Tours 2 having multiple interchangable sequences, if thats true, then it would remember which journey you went on and attempt to select something different to surprise you. Don't know how the rides work with the randomisation elements so may or may-not work?

toolsnspools

I can see the points about privacy, but Disney already has all that info for every guest staying on site. If the RFID only contains the guest ID, the rest is in the system already anyway. You can bet that there will be RFID collecting technology walking around in someones backpack as soon as this system hits, but if the data is protected well, it doesn't matter.

With that kind of budget, they should be able to maintain the spontaneity of the parks as well. Currently if you're exiting TT and decide to go to Soarin', you need to walk over to find out what the wait time is. With this, they could easily allow you to check the wait time from a kiosk outside TT, and start your wait before you walk across the park. Or, you could notice that the wait time is 90 minutes, (not uncommon anyway) and decide to go elsewhere instead.

That is simply an enormous budget to spend though. There are a ton of things that could be done with that kind of money. Like building two cruise ships, or almost every suggested refurb from these boards.

They have my attention with this one...

ChrisFL

Premium Member
With that kind of budget, they should be able to maintain the spontaneity of the parks as well. Currently if you're exiting TT and decide to go to Soarin', you need to walk over to find out what the wait time is. With this, they could easily allow you to check the wait time from a kiosk outside TT, and start your wait before you walk across the park. Or, you could notice that the wait time is 90 minutes, (not uncommon anyway) and decide to go elsewhere instead.

Um, they do this now, haven't you seen the electronic signs on both sides of Future World?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Following the personalised experience theme, it would be interesting if the system would remember if you have visited a certain attraction during your holiday and give you a different experience. For example a different drop sequence than you had the first time. I heard something about Star Tours 2 having multiple interchangable sequences, if thats true, then it would remember which journey you went on and attempt to select something different to surprise you. Don't know how the rides work with the randomisation elements so may or may-not work?

Given that most attractions feature cars/seating for multiple guests, how would it work out what was unique to who?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom