Osborne Lights Officially Returning for 2015 for 20th and Final Season

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Any chance it moves to Disney Springs in the coming years?
I posted this another thread, but it's the same answer :)

A couple of reasons why it won't go in Disney Springs.

- It takes 6 months each year to put the lights up and take them down. On the Streets of America this isn't a problem, much of the work is done after hours with the park closing early in the day. Disney Springs is operational until 2am each day.

- The backlot facades are covered in fixing points and holes that have been put in place to support the light structures. These are not present at Disney Springs, and I can't see them wanting to put this all over brand new buildings.

- Disney Springs is an operational retail area, there is not the walkway capacity to have thousands of peoples standing looking at lights.

Finally, Disney has publicly stated they are not returning. We can take that as the final word.

ChrisI

- It takes 6 months each year to put the lights up and take them down. On the Streets of America this isn't a problem, much of the work is done after hours with the park closing early in the day. Disney Springs is operational until 2am each day.

- The backlot facades are covered in fixing points and holes that have been put in place to support the light structures. These are not present at Disney Springs, and I can't see them wanting to put this all over brand new buildings.

- Disney Springs is an operational retail area, there is not the walkway capacity to have thousands of peoples standing looking at lights.

Finally, Disney has publicly stated they are not returning. We can take that as the final word.
Thank you for the stone cold truth. I'll just have to watch the lights on YouTube from now on!

note2001

Any chance it moves to Disney Springs in the coming years?
This rendition of a display? No. My belief is that in addition to not having a place to put the lights once the SoA area is under construction, Disney reached a contractual point with the family and wants to make a clean break from it.

However, I believe at some point in the future TDC will create a modernized version including projections for some location on property. I'd like to see something done in EPCOT Future World, and the Pavillions around it. Even though with this idea no one would be able to see all the displays at the same time, it would be pretty cool none the less.

surfsupdon

image.jpg
image.jpg
What a beautiful display! I have great Christmas and Disney memories with my family at the various Osborne Lights iterations over the years.

I ran through the Lights for the last time during Wine&Dine. Teary eyed but grinning ear to ear. As a 5timer Wine&Diner, you always looked forward to that part of the course!!

I returned the night after the race and just hung out under the Lights for one last time, even letting my Tower and RNRC fastpasses expire. I didn't want to leave because I knew it was the last time I'd be there.

NearTheEars

View attachment 119227 View attachment 119228 What a beautiful display! I have great Christmas and Disney memories with my family at the various Osborne Lights iterations over the years.

I ran through the Lights for the last time during Wine&Dine. Teary eyed but grinning ear to ear. As a 5timer Wine&Diner, you always looked forward to that part of the course!!

I returned the night after the race and just hung out under the Lights for one last time, even letting my Tower and RNRC fastpasses expire. I didn't want to leave because I knew it was the last time I'd be there.

At first I was like "he ran in flip flops? Ouch!" Haha.

Glad you got to see it one more time.

jlsHouston

View attachment 119227 View attachment 119228 What a beautiful display! I have great Christmas and Disney memories with my family at the various Osborne Lights iterations over the years.

That's how I am going to feel. Doing the dessert party over there both Sundays we are in the world and the last Sunday will also be our last night. I already know, I am going to sit there on streets of America until the lights go off. And weep.

HauntedMansionFLA

Thanks for answering. At first, I thought it could be moved down to Disney Springs but after thinking about it, it would look tacky (in my opinion). Osborne can only work in the SOA.i like how the parks have a perfect blend of Christmas. Hopefully this will happen down at Disney Springs - a perfect combination of holiday decorations that are tastefully done.

JohnD

Know the feeling. I just lingered an extra hour past official closing this past Wednesday. It was hard to pull myself away.

roj2323

Talking to another guest today and they mentioned that DHS CMs were being asked to extend shifts or pick up shifts to staff streets of america this coming week. Apparently they may be extending the Osborne Lights due to the marathon. Anybody know anything?

Having the marathon run through SOA with the lights on would be really cool for the runners I imagine and the Locals (myself included) would definitely be happy to get one final look.

dreamfinder912

I don't know if any of this is true. Disney could just be bringing in extra people to help with the marathon prep or a busier January than expected. But with tomorrows rainy forecast, it would be very nice to have the lights stick around a few more days.

BwanaBob

Only the full marathon runs through studios... And by the time runners make it to that point, the sun will be up.

I suppose you're just saying they keep it up for the week?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom