Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

TalkingHead

Many of these job openings had already been posted on Indeed, et al., when the DeSantis administration declared war on Disney. Would’ve been a major boon for professional opportunities in Orlando, and probably would’ve been more impactful than the possible 13k jobs D’Amaro mentions in the memo.

Thanks again, Ron.

fgmnt

I think this is a fair assessment, but I respectfully disagree. This move would’ve saved the company a pretty good amount of money in the long run
That's certainly likely, but it's also possible that if current management no longer forecasts the need for additional office space because of factors outside of the State's acts of reprisal against the company. They have reduced headcount and a number of businesses are offering hybrid options. Is now a really great time to invest in commercial office real estate anywhere?

el_super

Which is what this was all about. Reshaping WDI was personal for Chapek, as he felt they were an organization unable to build in a timely and cost effective manner.

But this move also impacted other DPEP Cast, as well as consumer products and publishing. It wasn't just WDI.

Part of this was clearing out campus space in Glendale for additional Disney+ production space and now there is no need for that.

Lilofan

I want to say ... before this spirals... that itrbablitle to do with the politics in Florida right now. The move was problematic from an HR perspective and too many people were saying no or pushing out their move dates to find more work. We all assumed that their ultimate goal was trimming personnel from WDI, but I don't believe they imagined so many would flat out say no. Theyve had too many roles left empty and too much uncertainty over training replacements.

Additionally, building a giant new campus in the post COVID world, and for adding capacity after you just laid off 7000, just doesn't make business sense.
The question is what will happen to the future of the 200 CA cast already in Orlando who have relocated to begin the Lake Nona project - find them jobs at WDW, relocate them back to CA or lay them off.

drnilescrane

But this move also impacted other DPEP Cast, as well as consumer products and publishing. It wasn't just WDI.

Part of this was clearing out campus space in Glendale for additional Disney+ production space and now there is no need for that.
Yes, that absolutely was part of the equation too. They still have a number of employees on the Fox lot in Century City that need new homes as well.

Tom P.

This was a Chapek move that Iger didn't want. Their visions were quite different. And the dramatic cutbacks that Iger has ushered in have made this pretty much unnecessary anyway. I know it's going to be an unpopular opinion around here, because everyone wants to dunk on DeSantis, but I think this has 0% to do with his battle with Disney. If DeSantis had never done anything, I think this still would have happened due to the leadership change and the subsequent restructuring that has come with it. The only thing DeSantis has contributed to this is giving Disney a better PR spin to put on the cancellation. That's it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And the forever CA vs FL internal battles will continue...

But I always thought this was a bad idea. You don't need your design studios where the product is consumed. It's better for Disney to stay in the talent base of Cali then to relocate to no-mans land.

Good on Disney for making the costly decision to nuke this now.

el_super

The question is what will happen to the future of the 200 CA cast already in Orlando who have relocated to begin the Lake Nona project - find them jobs at WDW, relocate them back to CA or lay them off.

They can stay in Florida if they choose. The work being done by these groups offered relocation was seen as being compatible with being in either location.

They just won't get a shiny new office campus and will probably have to work out of a strip mall somewhere.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I wonder about someone like Kevin Lively, who chose not to go, quit instead, sold off a lot of his stuff, and maybe burned a bridge or two after leaving, feels about all this.
New Sheriff in town... I'm sure while falling on the sword Disney management knows they need to be the punching bag too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom