Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

Tha Realest

I’m talking about the California College Promise program, not the grant.

You know what? Okay.
I aware CA has various programs. But you’re attempting to compare one that *might* offer two years free CC tuition to one that covers tuition costs at a four year university.

This discussion all started by describing the differences between FL and CA. For middle class families there’s virtually no comparison between what’s offered between the states.

Tha Realest

'for those who quality, depending on' - yes, that's what we keep trying to point out vs your broad statements :)

It's money given to schools and they get to decide if they offer tuition waver programs or spend the money somewhere else. Basically it's a big subsidy program to fund numerous college accessibility and student performance programs. Many CCs have provided tuition programs. But honestly Cali CC tuition is only $522 semester for 12 credits.

All this back and forth is really over a CC program that isn't comparable to the initial Florida grants that were mentioned.
There’s an awful lot of qualifiers in here, which renders the notion that “all California residents get two years of free community college” meaningless:

The California College Promise program allows California Community Colleges (CCC) to provide free tuition —but only to students who qualify. The California College Promise program requires students to reapply every academic year. Not all California community colleges offer the program, which is administered by the chancellor of the CCC.

Qualifying students receive funding for 12 months. However, only certain majors may be eligible for the program. Other eligibility standards may also apply. These include being:

First-time students
  • California residents, or eligible under the California Dream Act
  • Income eligible
  • Pell Grant eligible
  • Part of a underrepresented group, such as minority or LGBTQ+ communities
  • Ready to make a two-year or four-year college commitment

Californian Elitist

I aware CA has various programs. But you’re attempting to compare one that *might* offer two years free CC tuition to one that covers tuition costs at a four year university.

This discussion all started by describing the differences between FL and CA. For middle class families there’s virtually no comparison between what’s offered between the states.
I’m actually not comparing anything. Haven’t mentioned Florida once. I responded to the “free college for many in state residents that maintain a certain GPA.” California offers that. That’s all.

Anyways…

Tha Realest

I’m actually not comparing anything. Haven’t mentioned Florida once. I responded to the “free college for many in state residents that maintain a certain GPA.” California offers that. That’s all.

Anyways…
If you’re of a certain income.
If you’ve within a certain socioeconomic category.
If your college of choice opts in.
If said college hasn’t repurposed the grants elsewhere.
If you have a certain major.
If you qualify for FAFSA.
If you don’t have much in the way of familial support.
If you’re first generation college or DACA eligible.

Lots of qualifiers that undercut your original assertion.

Lilofan

Do you have a newish roof? From what I’ve read the age of the roof seems to be a bigger insurance factor than the age of the home.
Newish roof and up to date interior plumbing piping ( poly bulethane or whatever its called installed in home pre 1994 will not pass 4 point inspection ). That updates and improvements costs many thousands of dollars. When the contractors install the plumbing pipes that are more durable they will break open your shower wall tile to access shower and tub piping . The homeowner is on the hook to get the tile replaced. The contractor breaks down the walls of home to access piping behind walls , they patch the wall the homeowner has to repair the rest. You don't want to even think if you have a kitchen island in the middle of your kitchen where the sink is. Sound like fun? How do I know? If you lose your home insurance when the company cancels you, and try to find another insurer it is no walk in the park. One of the biggest FL scams is when roofing contractors conduct complimentary roof inspections. When they find deteriorating areas they put up a claim for you for " hurrucane/wind damage " and in a few weeks you get a reroof . Picture thousands of these claims going to insurers and no wonder companies are leaving the state.

Last edited:

Lilofan

It’s functionally unattainable to middle class families - you know, the ones most likely to be able to afford a trip to WDW.

If you’re middle class with kids, you have a very good chance of having your kids college largely paid for. If you’re middle class in CA, you have a very good chance of your kids being ineligible for scholarships due to income.
An option is go ROTC, go to college for free , then serve your country for a few years before going back to the world.

Tha Realest

An option is go ROTC, go to college for free , then serve your country for a few years before going back to the world.
(Taps scoreboard)

So the options for a free college/university education for good students in middle class families are 1) live in Florida, or 2) move to CA and join the ROTC.

Totally equal things.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Disney has officially cancelled the Lake Nona project.

"In March, Disney called Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida “anti-business” for his scorched-earth attempt to tighten oversight of the company’s theme park resort near Orlando. Last month, when Disney sued the governor and his allies for what it called “a targeted campaign of government retaliation,” the company made clear that $17 billion in planned investment in Walt Disney World was on the line.

“Does the state want us to invest more, employ more people, and pay more taxes, or not?” Robert A. Iger, Disney’s chief executive, said on an earnings-related conference call with analysts last week.

On Thursday, Mr. Iger and Josh D’Amaro, Disney’s theme park and consumer products chairman, showed that they were not bluffing, pulling the plug on a nearly $1 billion office complex that was scheduled for construction in Orlando. It would have brought more than 2,000 jobs to the region, with $120,000 as the average salary, according to an estimate from the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity.

The project, known as the Lake Nona Town Center, was supposed to involve the relocation of more than 1,000 employees from Southern California, including most of a department known as Imagineering, which works with Disney’s movie studios to develop theme park attractions. Most of the affected employees complained bitterly about having to move — some quit — but Disney largely held firm, partly because of a Florida tax credit that would have allowed the company to recoup as much as $570 million over 20 years for building and occupying the complex."

-----

"Mr. D’Amaro’s tone in an email to employees on Thursday was notably different. He cited “changing business conditions” as a reason for canceling the Lake Nona project. “I remain optimistic about the direction of our Walt Disney World business,” Mr. D’Amaro said in the memo. He noted that $17 billion was still earmarked for construction at Disney World over the next decade — growth that would create an estimated 13,000 jobs. “I hope we’re able to,” he said.

But the company’s battle with Mr. DeSantis and his allies in the Florida Legislature figured prominently into Disney’s decision to cancel the Lake Nona project, according to two people briefed on the matter, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private deliberations. A spokeswoman for Mr. Iger said he was not available for an interview.

About 200 Disney employees already relocated to Florida from California. Mr. D’Amaro said in his note that the company would discuss options with them, “including the possibility of moving you back.” The Lake Nona project had initially been scheduled to open next year. Last July, Disney pushed back the move-in date to 2026, citing construction delays."

Full article below.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom