Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

hopemax

Thank goodness.

I feel bad for the employees who decided the move made sense for them, and I hope Disney will be generous in working with them to continue their employment, relocation or severance. I remember at one of the Disney panels, D23 or an anniversary event, one of the people involved with the development of WDW was tasked with determining fair relocation packages for people moving from CA to FL. So he researched what other companies did and presented his findings to Roy O. Roy O's response was, "It's not enough." You often hear about Roy being all business, but the story stuck with me because it demonstrated he shared the idea that taking care of your people would equal taking care of the company.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here's the memo from Josh D'Amaro.

Team,

I wanted to let you know that we’ve just begun communication regarding our updated plans for the Lake Nona campus.

As many of you know, the company had decided to build a new Disney campus in Lake Nona and many cast members, Imagineers, and employees were asked to commit to making a move to Florida. While some were excited about the new campus, I know that this decision and the circumstances surrounding it have been difficult for others.

Given the considerable changes that have occurred since the announcement of this project, including new leadership and changing business conditions, we have decided not to move forward with construction of the campus. This was not an easy decision to make, but I believe it is the right one. As a result, we will no longer be asking our employees to relocate. For those who have already moved, we will talk to you individually about your situation, including the possibility of moving you back.

It is clear to me that the power of this brand comes from our incredible people, and we are committed to handling this change with care and compassion. I remain optimistic about the direction of our Walt Disney World business. We have plans to invest $17 billion and create 13,000 jobs over the next ten years. I hope we’re able to do so.

We are committed to our teams who call Central Florida home and to all of our Cast Members around the world, and I want to thank you for your continued dedication to Disney Parks, Experiences and Products and for delivering world-class entertainment for our guests.

Josh

alphac2005

The article said that 200 people had already made the move. I wasn't aware that many (which isn't a lot of people for a corporation like Disney) had already made the switch.
Yes, we have friends who’s relatives had relocated in the past year from Imagineering and were having homes built.

drnilescrane

How many people quit or got let go or actually relocated to an office that will never open?
WDI was an organization of about 1500 before the pandemic. It's probably about 250 or so now.

A large part of that attrition was people on project hires and contracts not being renewed with the pandemic, but it's remarkable how the organization was gutted under Chapek.

Which is what this was all about. Reshaping WDI was personal for Chapek, as he felt they were an organization unable to build in a timely and cost effective manner. The best way to clean house was to force them to move - with I think the added benefit of getting slightly more "grateful" and "loyal" employees in Florida.

Iger doesn't see things that way at all, and cancelling this was a natural move.

MagicHappens1971

Did the homes ever get built? I've heard constructions sites are ghost towns these days in Florida?
As a Floridian I don’t know where anyone could say that. I grew up in SoFlo and housing is sprouting up like weeds. I also went to FSU and lived in Tallahassee for a few years and they spring up new apartments the same way.

el_super

Good. If Florida wants to play these games, expect the golden goose to stop giving you eggs.

I want to say ... before this spirals... that it probably has little to do with the politics in Florida right now. The move was problematic from an HR perspective and too many people were saying no or pushing out their move dates to find more work. We all assumed that their ultimate goal was trimming personnel from WDI, but I don't believe they imagined so many would flat out say no. Theyve had too many roles left empty and too much uncertainty over training replacements.

Additionally, building a giant new campus in the post COVID world, and for adding capacity after you just laid off 7000, just doesn't make business sense.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom