Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

Vegas Disney Fan

Where are you getting those numbers. On this source, Florida is ranked 11th overall for business, 30th for cost of doing business, and 39th for business friendliness, while California is 29th overall.
I searched Bing for most business friendly states…

Different criteria will obviously give different results but I think it’s safe to say all of them will place FL well above CA for being more business friendly.

Is Forbes a better source? They have FL 5 and CA 31.

Or CNBC? FL 17, CA 33

Those were the first articles that came up in the search, I’m sure the rest will be similar.

Last edited:

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I searched Bing for FL vs CA business climate…

Different criteria will obviously give different results but I think it’s safe to say all of them will place FL well above CA for being more business friendly.

Or CNBC? FL 17, CA 33

Those were the first articles that came up in the search, I’m sure the rest will be similar.
They all have "cost of doing business" in Florida as pretty crap, which is the point. That includes the tax rate.

If taxes were the end all, they'd have built in North Carolina or Texas.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I searched Bing for most friendly business states…

Or CNBC? FL 17, CA 33

Even still…that’s a big difference between “one of the best” and “one of the worst”

I’m curious what the top 16 are?
Without looking…are they underdeveloped places that have little policy/social structure/etc? And are always precarious to being wiped out in a crisis?

Bet Connecticut isn’t on there 🤪

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What Florida has: low taxes.
What Florida doesn't have: affordable real estate, a diversified economy, suppliers to most industries, affordable utilities, affordable insurance, a skilled workforce, a government you can trust.
Uh oh…

1678327995472.gif

Vegas Disney Fan

They all have "cost of doing business" in Florida as pretty crap, which is the point. That includes the tax rate.

If taxes were the end all, they'd have built in North Carolina or Texas.
Possibly but they likely wanted to be near their core businesses, that leaves California or Florida, which is really no choice when it comes to taxes and a business friendly environment.

Florida may not be the best but they’re miles ahead of CA if you’re a business looking to decrease costs, which Disney is

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Add to doesn't have- quality healthcare and real food ( bagels, diners , Chinese food, pizza ) compared to NY/NJ,CT.
Those are things you need to attract and retain a skilled workforce.

Anecdotal and not a majority, but plenty of New Yorkers and Californians who moved to Florida during the lockdown moved back when their states opened due to the lack of amenities in Florida when compared to NY or California.

Vegas Disney Fan

No one has.

But no one can argue the size of California's economy, both within the US and globally.
Even within Californias borders there’s a lot of people moving for financial reasons, moving out of expensive areas like LA and SF for the inland empire is pretty common.

The downside of losing easy access to the ocean and the milder temperatures along the coast is offset by saving a half million on a house.

Lilofan

Even within Californias borders there’s a lot of people moving for financial reasons, moving out of expensive areas like LA and SF for the inland empire is pretty common.

The downside of losing easy access to the ocean and the milder temperatures along the coast is offset by saving a half million on a house.
Family lived in Corona Del Mar oceanfront. No AC, just heat. Beach bungalow homes were $50K in the early 1970s. Same homes $2M today.

Vegas Disney Fan

California's economy is the largest of any state, and would be considered the 5th largest GDP in the world if it was considered its own country.....but somehow its not business friendly???
It’s not!… but it used to be, which is why it has such a massive economy, that’s changed drastically over the last 50 years though.

California HAD cheap land, cheap homes, and low taxes but that changed drastically in the 80s/90s. There was a time when people and businesses fled the expensive northeast for cheaper California but those days are largely gone.

Lilofan

It’s not!… but it used to be, which is why it has such a massive economy, that’s changed drastically over the last 50 years though.

California HAD cheap land, cheap homes, and low taxes but that changed drastically in the 80s/90s. There was a time when people and businesses fled the expensive northeast for cheaper California but those days are largely gone.
My friend moved from NJ to CA more than 30 years ago for the climate, laid back lifestyle , surfing and the high quality weed.

JMcMahonEsq

you think their size is based on their quality now as business friendly or not? That's some funny logic you got there...
Wait, so the large population base with higher than norm disposable income is NOT a business friendy feature?

The access to some of the largest shipping ports in the US, including the ones closest and with direction access to Asian markets isn't a business friendly feature?

The access to what is basically the R&D capital of the US in technology is NOT a business friendly feature?

The fact that the GPD has almost doubled in the past 25 years, and but for 2019-20 has continually increased, including NOW, is somehow proof it is NOT business friendly?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom