Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

wutisgood

After impacting 2000 jobs and lives and careers and pensions and family members' jobs and kids' schools not to mention all the people who left the company rather than make the move and...

View attachment 680515
Better for a company to admit they were wrong than stick to something because of sunk cost. So many companies are just making their employees angry trying to utilize office space they are stuck with instead of realizing that that matters is reaching goals and everything people do in an office is now software based anyways and can be done from home. I hope Disney can expand in a market where they have the best access to talent and peoples' home offices are FREE for them to use.

JoeCamel

Better for a company to admit they were wrong than stick to something because of sunk cost. So many companies are just making their employees angry trying to utilize office space they are stuck with instead of realizing that that matters is reaching goals and everything people do in an office is now software based anyways and can be done from home. I hope Disney can expand in a market where they have the best access to talent and peoples' home offices are FREE for them to use.
Pssst wanna buy a REIT?

wutisgood

Pssst wanna buy a REIT?
lol pass. My philosophy in investing is that if your profits involve screwing people over or people stuck with your product and not people actually wanting your product, I'm out. The idea that prices will just go up forever on something people would like to not buy as soon as they have an alternative is ripe for disruption.

drizgirl

Or maybe they have found that productivity drops when people are home trying to juggle a lot more things at once.

GiveMeTheMusic

Or maybe they have found that productivity drops when people are home trying to juggle a lot more things at once.

The only way to be truly productive is to spend 8 hours under fluorescent lighting so that your middle manager can be sure to walk by and check if you've got an Amazon tab up on your browser, and then spend three hours of your own time in a car generating greenhouse gases and wasting huge chunks of your life.

drizgirl

The only way to be truly productive is to spend 8 hours under fluorescent lighting so that your middle manager can be sure to walk by and check if you've got an Amazon tab up on your browser, and then spend three hours of your own time in a car generating greenhouse gases and wasting huge chunks of your life.
For some it might be.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Can you show me the study that would inform that because there’s dozens over the last 2 years that say WFH is more productive *on net*.

There are certainly specific individuals who can’t handle it; they should be relieved of that battle by their employer so that they can find employment in an office setting, rather than throwing out the entire system because some people wind up as low performers under it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
without a derail.. It's not for all roles, nor all people. But that doesn't mean you throw it all away.

Signed,
The guy that makes that technology you rely on for remote work and has worked on a different continent from his direct report and peers for over 18yrs

Californian Elitist

I usually have Delta Air Lines are some sort of fashion-related tab open on my computer.

DCBaker

Premium Member
During a "Future of Lake Nona" forum, Tavistock Vice President of Strategic Communications Jessi Blakely commented on the future of TWDC in Lake Nona.

From the Orlando Business Journal -

"What’s next for The Walt Disney Co.’s relocation of 2,000 jobs from Burbank, California, to Lake Nona that Orlando Business Journal first reported in January 2021?

Blakely declined to share much, only saying more updates will come next year. “In the short-term future, things are moving along with Disney very well. I do expect that there will be news in the coming year around that project.”

Meanwhile, the 60-acre site Disney’s Dynamic Campus LLC bought for its new Lake Nona office showed no signs of construction as of Dec. 8. Disney aims to move the jobs to Orlando by 2026."

JoeCamel

During a "Future of Lake Nona" forum, Tavistock Vice President of Strategic Communications Jessi Blakely commented on the future of TWDC in Lake Nona.

From the Orlando Business Journal -

"What’s next for The Walt Disney Co.’s relocation of 2,000 jobs from Burbank, California, to Lake Nona that Orlando Business Journal first reported in January 2021?

Blakely declined to share much, only saying more updates will come next year. “In the short-term future, things are moving along with Disney very well. I do expect that there will be news in the coming year around that project.”

Meanwhile, the 60-acre site Disney’s Dynamic Campus LLC bought for its new Lake Nona office showed no signs of construction as of Dec. 8. Disney aims to move the jobs to Orlando by 2026."

A nothing/safe answer but at least he didn't say "I'll check with Josh about it"........

DCBaker

Premium Member
New activity on the campus in an article from the Orlando Business Journal -

"Seven months after it was confirmed that the timeline for The Walt Disney Co.'s relocation of thousands of jobs to Central Florida had shifted, there is new activity involving the nearly 60-acre campus Disney plans to build.

City of Orlando records reveal a specific parcel master plan is being sought "for the development of an approximately 1.8 million-square-foot office complex with office and flex space within the Lake Nona PD, Parcel 20A."

City records show that parcel is the 60 acres that Dynamic Campus LLC, an entity related to Burbank, California-based The Walt Disney Co. (NYSE: DIS), paid $46 million to Tavistock Development Co. for in September 2021.

Aside from the above description of the request, city records indicate the application status is "open" and the application was completed Jan. 18.

Additional information was not immediately available and a public records request has been filed with the city of Orlando for more details.

Disney executives could not be reached for comment in time for publication."

Full article -

Vegas Disney Fan

New activity on the campus in an article from the Orlando Business Journal -

"Seven months after it was confirmed that the timeline for The Walt Disney Co.'s relocation of thousands of jobs to Central Florida had shifted, there is new activity involving the nearly 60-acre campus Disney plans to build.

City of Orlando records reveal a specific parcel master plan is being sought "for the development of an approximately 1.8 million-square-foot office complex with office and flex space within the Lake Nona PD, Parcel 20A."

City records show that parcel is the 60 acres that Dynamic Campus LLC, an entity related to Burbank, California-based The Walt Disney Co. (NYSE: DIS), paid $46 million to Tavistock Development Co. for in September 2021.

Aside from the above description of the request, city records indicate the application status is "open" and the application was completed Jan. 18.

Additional information was not immediately available and a public records request has been filed with the city of Orlando for more details.

Disney executives could not be reached for comment in time for publication."

Full article -

Not surprising, despite the feud with the Governor it still makes financial sense to move.

Disstevefan1

Not surprising, despite the feud with the Governor it still makes financial sense to move.
I really thought the feud would have resulted in TWDC pulling out of this.

So far, I am happily wrong?

Who knows, next week there may be a new feud between the Governor and TWDC.

A great partnership lasted for over 50 years, and it only took one person to kill it.

drnilescrane

This is not the first office building that Disney has built for themselves in Orlando, and it won't be the first one they end up selling to Some commercial real estate REIT. Other people will end up occupying it when they inevitably change direction, again, and decide they don't need the space.

The macro reason for this move still stands, especially now that Iger has ordered everybody back to the office - they needed to get the 21CF people out of Century City. FL offered the incentive, and they decided the DPEP jobs didn't really need to be in CA like the important movie people. They've similarly built the Disney Streaming organization primarily in New York to chase cheaper labor and tax incentives.

They've had to rent a whole bunch of additional space in Burbank/Glendale to achieve that, and they did it predicated on desk hotelling/people only coming in on select days of the week. I'm sure there is a massive scramble going on right now with Iger's new direction.

What I think will happen is people probably won't be forced to move at this point. But the jobs won't be backfilled in California whenever hiring does resume.

What do I want to see happen? The "CEO" of DPEP should have lead by example and moved himself back out to FL.

WDWFanRay

Who’s to say that these buildings will be used by Disney? They already own the land and the area is hot, so if they have abandoned the move to Orlando, it makes sense that they would still build something on the land and lease it out. They’ve done this before.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It also gives an appearance so that Disney will be able to say, "What do you mean we're punishing FL by not moving our staff there? See, we're building.... something... so, yeah."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom