Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

Vegas Disney Fan

There are many others…and that was my point In posting that Njea assessment…

They’re all over the place…

You wouldn’t be a Florida resident trying to do that “Napoleon complex for education” thing are you?

It’s been kinda thing forever.

Three things I can always count on out of Florida:
1. Overvaluing their real estate
2. Exaggerated how “cheap” it is to live there
3. Telling outsiders “the schools aren’t as bad as everyone says”

There’s probably varying degrees of truth in all things.

The colleges though…not terrible, not overall spectacular either.
School rankings above the neighborhood level are fairly irrelevant anyway, you can have amazing schools and horrible schools in the same city.

I just pulled up a “ranking of schools” in Nevada and within our 1 school district in Las Vegas the top school scored 99% and the bottom school scored 6%.

I think it’s safe to say FL and CA are the same way, the imagineers and middle class Disney employees will have no trouble finding a good school to send their kids to whether in CA or FL, for those closer to the poverty level their kids are probably going to bad schools whether they live in CA or FL. That’s just a sad reality.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
School rankings above the neighborhood level are fairly irrelevant anyway, you can have amazing schools and horrible schools in the same city.

I just pulled up a “ranking of schools” in Nevada and within our 1 school district in Las Vegas the top school scored 99% and the bottom school scored 6%.

I think it’s safe to say FL and CA are the same way, the imagineers and middle class Disney employees will have no trouble finding a good school to send their kids to whether in CA or FL, for those closer to the poverty level their kids are probably going to bad schools whether they live in CA or FL. That’s just a sad reality.
Very true…

I can drive 10 miles between a rotting carcass of a public school system, and one that is almost an extension of a college across the street (rhymes with “Sinceton”)

Very dubious to “rank” unrelated things.

Lilofan

Poverty level families can also send their kids to public schools the well to do families kids attend since they live in the same town ( Winter Park, Celebration, Jones, Colonial , Edgewater, Boone etc ).

scottb411

Speaking of education, UCF is now partnering up with Universal to teach the next generation of theme park designers for those wanting to get into the industry with students spending part of their time during the class at Universal:

"Weishar said the course has been in development for about a year. It was originally pitched by Mike West, a Universal Creative and Walt Disney Imagineering veteran who serves on the program’s advisory council, and West set up a meeting between Universal and the Themed Experience team."

Comped

Speaking of education, UCF is now partnering up with Universal to teach the next generation of theme park designers for those wanting to get into the industry with students spending part of their time during the class at Universal:

"Weishar said the course has been in development for about a year. It was originally pitched by Mike West, a Universal Creative and Walt Disney Imagineering veteran who serves on the program’s advisory council, and West set up a meeting between Universal and the Themed Experience team."

There's way more than that... Uni has gotten an agreement with Rosen (UCF's hospitality college) to effectively use their new Theme Park Management degree (launching next fall) to train and act as a pipeline for Epic management. Disney doesn't have that - they have a ton of their hourly CMs taking classes via Aspire, but their pipeline is much less developed...

el_super

On today’s emergency episode of Disney Dish podcast, @lentesta shares that he heard that this is now dead, and was killed just prior to Chapek’s heave ho (Friday)

This seemed all-but-dead a few weeks back when they announced it was being "delayed." It seemed obvious to me that announcing that your construction project is being delayed wasn't necessary an act of transparency but a way to send a message to the people it was impacting that they were willing to make a deal to keep people in Southern California.

If it is truly dead, it will be interesting to see how Disney breaks the news to Florida.

It will also be interesting to see if Disney makes any accommodations for the people who already jumped at moving. Maybe they can spend some money on fixing up Celebration instead of sticking them in some low rise office building next to Universal.

bhg469

This seemed all-but-dead a few weeks back when they announced it was being "delayed." It seemed obvious to me that announcing that your construction project is being delayed wasn't necessary an act of transparency but a way to send a message to the people it was impacting that they were willing to make a deal to keep people in Southern California.

If it is truly dead, it will be interesting to see how Disney breaks the news to Florida.

It will also be interesting to see if Disney makes any accommodations for the people who already jumped at moving. Maybe they can spend some money on fixing up Celebration instead of sticking them in some low rise office building next to Universal.
Well the lake Nona market is about to plateau!!

Vegas Disney Fan

On today’s emergency episode of Disney Dish podcast, @lentesta shares that he heard that this is now dead, and was killed just prior to Chapek’s heave ho (Friday)

Did he provide a reason?

I’m curious what’s changed since it started development under Iger, from a financial viewpoint it still makes sense to me, was the change due to losing creative people, due to politics, etc?

Captain Neo

Did he provide a reason?

I’m curious what’s changed since it started development under Iger, from a financial viewpoint it still makes sense to me, was the change due to losing creative people, due to politics, etc?

My guess would be most of the staff does not want to move there also it just makes sense to be centralized in Southern California so that its easy for teams to commute back and forth from Corporate HQ and the Studios.

MarvelCharacterNerd

I think the whole move is dead.
After impacting 2000 jobs and lives and careers and pensions and family members' jobs and kids' schools not to mention all the people who left the company rather than make the move and...

1669257311854.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom