Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Winn Dixie is they still exist is of same quality.
They're definitely here. They even have another brand in certain FL markets called "Fresco Y Mas"... which are former Winn Dixie locations that have a better hispanic product selection.

UNCgolf

Too bad Raleigh literally shuts down when just a few inches of snow hits the pavement. When I lived in Winston Salem the city shut down during a light snowfall years ago when I was there.

Because it doesn't snow enough to have the infrastructure they have in the northeast, which is something people often don't realize/consider. I live in Atlanta and we have the same problem here -- there's just no reason to spend the money on all of the necessary equipment when it's so rarely used. No one can really drive safely on ice, but it's generally not an issue in the northeast because they can easily salt everything, plus it's usually consistently cold enough to remain as snow instead of melting and refreezing as ice.

J4546

I grew up in VA, its wonderful. Might move back when I'm older. Lived in a small town on the Chesapeake bay, good times. One odd thing about going back for Xmas is all the political flags and banners, it's so cultish

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
One odd thing about going back for Xmas is all the political flags and banners, it's so cultish
1663620205064.png

Lilofan

Because it doesn't snow enough to have the infrastructure they have in the northeast, which is something people often don't realize/consider. I live in Atlanta and we have the same problem here -- there's just no reason to spend the money on all of the necessary equipment when it's so rarely used. No one can really drive safely on ice, but it's generally not an issue in the northeast because they can easily salt everything, plus it's usually consistently cold enough to remain as snow instead of melting and refreezing as ice.
Yes it is a shock to some who move from the North to the South and see that a major city shuts down when snow fall accumulation is 2 inches.

UNCgolf

Yes it is a shock to some who move from the North to the South and see that a major city shuts down when snow fall accumulation is 2 inches.

Because they don't understand the context.

It works in reverse, too, when you see somewhere in the northeast freaking out about a dangerous heat wave because it's in the 90s for a few days. But there's missing context there as well, in that many places there don't have central air conditioning, if they have any at all.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I think when they first started opening Aldi's, they seemed to put them into lower income areas, but now they seem to have started putting them into lower middle and mid middle class areas.
The last few I know of going in are in solidly middle to upper middle class neighborhoods. They have a nice but smallish selection of organic produce, meats, packaged vegan and allergen safe items and almost always a large bin or 2 of avocados.

Lilofan

Because they don't understand the context.

It works in reverse, too, when you see somewhere in the northeast freaking out about a dangerous heat wave because it's in the 90s for a few days. But there's missing context there as well, in that many places there don't have central air conditioning, if they have any at all.
Freaking out on dangerous heat wave doesn’t compare. Raleigh / Winston Salem where I lived is scared beyond belief and shuts down the city with two inches of powder.

UNCgolf

Freaking out on dangerous heat wave doesn’t compare. Raleigh is scared beyond belief and shuts down the city with two inches of powder.

It does compare.

Also, maybe go back and actually read what I wrote instead of just repeating yourself as though actual factual information is irrelevant.

Cities in the northeast would shut down for a couple of inches of snow (more importantly, ice) too if they didn't have the equipment and experience to handle it. It's not some magical difference -- even Toronto has essentially shut down from ice storms in the past.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

It does compare.

Also, maybe go back and actually read what I wrote instead of just repeating yourself and coming across as wildly ignorant in the process.

Cities in the northeast would shut down for a couple of inches of snow (more importantly, ice) too if they didn't have the equipment to handle it. It's not some magical difference -- even Toronto has essentially shut down from ice storms.
The constant random “factoids” are often of dubious merit.

Animaniac93-98

Cities in the northeast would shut down for a couple of inches of snow (more importantly, ice) too if they didn't have the equipment and experience to handle it. It's not some magical difference -- even Toronto has essentially shut down from ice storms in the past.

It's not just access to equipment, if a city gets pounded by snow and/or ice in a very short period of time, there's not a whole lot you can do until it's over.

Lilofan

I grew up in VA, its wonderful. Might move back when I'm older. Lived in a small town on the Chesapeake bay, good times. One odd thing about going back for Xmas is all the political flags and banners, it's so cultish
If it is the Confederate flag, that was discreetly removed from the wall of flags at Epcot American Adventure a number of years ago.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Institutions of higher learning (a term becoming obsolete) are supposed to be a place stimulating to thinking, gaining more knowledge and a beginning for new / improved concepts. Such places are now stagnating and becoming programing locations for stale, antisocial and divisive concepts. Trade schools are evolving to have greater value because something constructive is actually learned.
Can’t really argue.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
US News is very reputable to the point that hospitals will typically create huge banners of their rankings with the publication and hang them outside their hospital.

It looks like the NEA rankings are more about teacher pay and benefits while US News is student performance. The NEA is the nations largest teacher union. I would agree with the NEA assessment that teachers in California are compensated much better than in Florida but I believe that US News better reflects student performance.
There are many others…and that was my point In posting that NEA assessment…

They’re all over the place…

You wouldn’t be a Florida resident trying to do that “Napoleon complex for education” thing are you?

It’s been kinda thing forever.

Three things I can always count on out of Florida:
1. Overvaluing their real estate
2. Exaggerated how “cheap” it is to live there
3. Telling outsiders “the schools aren’t as bad as everyone says”

There’s probably varying degrees of truth in all things.

The colleges though…not terrible, not overall spectacular either.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Institutions of higher learning (a term becoming obsolete) are supposed to be a place stimulating to thinking, gaining more knowledge and a beginning for new / improved concepts. Such places are now stagnating and becoming programing locations for stale, antisocial and divisive concepts. Trade schools are evolving to have greater value because something constructive is actually learned.
Had a friend go to trade school. Made good money until his mid 40s. He had to get out of his trade job due to a number of injuries on the job, sore back, bad knees , at times in dangerous conditions in his physical job.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom