Original Newspaper Clipping Announcing Walt Disney's Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiPSU224

I think that segment might go something like this.
-----

Rick: "What am I looking at here?"

muse1983: "Well, this is a newspaper clipping from the day after Walt Disney died. It's been in the family for years."

*cut to Rick facing camera in back room*

"Walt Disney was a cultural ICON. Mickey Mouse, Snow White, Disneyland...he came up with ALL of it. The day he died was like a national day of mourning. I would love to have this piece...but I have to get it at the right price."

*cut back to shop*

Old Man: "Let me see that. I remember when Walt Disney died. It was a real sad day for America."

*cut to Old Man facing camera in front of truck*

"Disney used to put out decent family entertainment like Snow White, but now it's all went to crap. Kids today don't know what quality is. They just want their damn video games now."

*cut back to shop*

Chumlee: "Hey, Disney stuff, cool! When I was in school, I got to play Dopey one year."

Rick: "I don't think that'd be a very tough role for you, Chum." (heavy, raspy laugh)

Chumlee: "Hey, what's that supposed to mean?"

Old Man: "Chumlee, if you were any dumber, you'd be dangerous."

Rick: "So wha'd you wanna do, pawn it or sell it?"

muse1983: "I'd like to sell it."

Rick: "So what did you hope to get for it?"

muse1983: "I was thinking maybe 500 bucks."

Rick (grimacing): "Yeeeah, that's not gonna happen."

"This always happens. This guy thinks he's found some valuable family heirloom and he's going to have a big night in Vegas from selling it. But I'm in business to make money."

*cut back to shop*

Rick: "Look, here's the thing. Somebody's taken a marker to it, so that drives down the value. Also, I don't have the whole page here, which I would really like to have. And newsprint is notoriously unstable, so this thing probably won't age very well unless you have an expert mount it. I can give you 20 bucks for it."

muse1983: "Oh, I couldn't take that. Can't you come up a little? Maybe a hundred?"

Old Man: "Son, we're not running a charity here. There's got to be room for some profit built in."

muse1983: "Disney fans will love this! I guarantee you'll make money."

Rick: "Disney fans are a rabid market, but I just don't think the value is there for the condition it's in. Forty bucks, final offer."

*cut between silent Rick and muse1983, as dramatic music plays*

muse1983: "Alright. Forty bucks."

Rick (offering handshake): "OK, 40 bucks. Chumlee, go write the man up."

Chumlee: "Sweet! Wheeeen you wiiiish upooon a staaar.."

Old Man: "Chumlee, shut the hell up!"

YES! GENIUS! :lol:

_Scar

He would call in his official "Walt Disney death newspaper expert" to determine the value.

Computer Magic

-----

muse1983: "Well, this is a newspaper clipping from the day after Walt Disney died. It's been in the family for years."

"Walt Disney was a cultural ICON. Mickey Mouse, Snow White, Disneyland...he came up with ALL of it. The day he died was like a national day of mourning. I would love to have this piece...but I have to get it at the right price."

*cut back to shop*

Old Man: "Let me see that. I remember when Walt Disney died. It was a real sad day for America."

"Disney used to put out decent family entertainment like Snow White, but now it's all went to crap. Kids today don't know what quality is. They just want their damn video games now."

*cut back to shop*

Chumlee: "Hey, Disney stuff, cool! When I was in school, I got to play Dopey one year."

Rick: "I don't think that'd be a very tough role for you, Chum." (heavy, raspy laugh)

"This always happens. This guy thinks he's found some valuable family heirloom and he's going to have a big night in Vegas from selling it. But I'm in business to make money."

*cut back to shop*

Rick: "Look, here's the thing. Somebody's taken a marker to it, so that drives down the value. Also, I don't have the whole page here, which I would really like to have. And newsprint is notoriously unstable, so this thing probably won't age very well unless you have an expert mount it. I can give you 20 bucks for it."

muse1983: "Oh, I couldn't take that. Can't you come up a little? Maybe a hundred?"

Old Man: "Son, we're not running a charity here. There's got to be room for some profit built in."

Rick: "Disney fans are a rabid market, but I just don't think the value is there for the condition it's in. Forty bucks, final offer."

LMAO :sohappy:

I'm not sure what scares me more, you knowing so much about Pawn Shop to write this stuff or me watching Pawn Shop too much and understanding and relating to every line.

:lol:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
-----

*cut back to shop*

*cut back to shop*

*cut back to shop*

Epic genius. I love that show.

Tidbit

LMAO :sohappy:

I'm not sure what scares me more, you knowing so much about Pawn Shop to write this stuff or me watching Pawn Shop too much and understanding and relating to every line.

:lol:

wow I agree!!......Scares me too, that I understood every word and could see there faces's too! Cracked me up!

Anyway back to the original post.......very nice newspaper clip, however, it is very sad to see Mickey cry.

Ziffman

-----

*cut back to shop*

*cut back to shop*

*cut back to shop*

Funny!! :lol:

Although I've never seen the show, but it sounds like this presumes the pawn shop would be getting it for a "steal" at $40. In actuality, they'd be massively overpaying for it at that price. The OP mentioned that someone once offered him $250 for it. I'd love to hear that story behind that. Someone who is into Disney memorabilia enough to offer $250 for something would likely also know it isn't worth anywhere near that. So I'm curious to know the whole story of how that all played out.

_Scar

Sorry to be a downer, but why would anyone want to publicly display this sad headline ):

Seeing it everyday would make me very sad.

mp2bill

-----

*cut back to shop*

*cut back to shop*

*cut back to shop*

Hahahahahahaha!:ROFLOL: Too funny!

muse1983

Original Poster
Funny!! :lol:

Although I've never seen the show, but it sounds like this presumes the pawn shop would be getting it for a "steal" at $40. In actuality, they'd be massively overpaying for it at that price. The OP mentioned that someone once offered him $250 for it. I'd love to hear that story behind that. Someone who is into Disney memorabilia enough to offer $250 for something would likely also know it isn't worth anywhere near that. So I'm curious to know the whole story of how that all played out.

I completely agree that it's not worth 250.00 but that's what he offered me. He owns a local comic book shop and I have known him for a few years and somehow we got onto the subject of Disney memorabilia and I mentioned this clipping. I ended up showing it to him and he offered me 250 on the spot.

muse1983

Original Poster
Sorry to be a downer, but why would anyone want to publicly display this sad headline ):

Seeing it everyday would make me very sad.

I agree that although it's sad I still find it to be a nice wall piece.

maggiegrace1

-----

*cut back to shop*

*cut back to shop*

*cut back to shop*

:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

I LOVE Pawn Stars!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

muse1983

Original Poster
I honestly don't remember the artists name who drew the picture but according to Robbie(owner of shop) he actually knew the guy when he used to live in Miami. The artist had passed away several years ago and apparently none of his original work (which I doubt was really worth much) dissapeared. So I think the offer came from not only personal reasons but also because the artists work was so impossible to find, even having a print of it in a newspaper held some value (to Robbie at least).

Ziffman

Tributes like that are amazing.

Mine has to be the "Speechless" art piece when Mel Blanc passed away..Showing all the Looney Tunes with sadden looks by an empty michrophone.

But the that gets me especially is the one at One Man's Dream of Mickey's head in the world tearing up and his biggest dream ending.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_NkSVsetX2ho/RSBzZNH4ABI/AAAAAAAAA38/7Z7ikzer-70/DSC01845.JPG

Here's a few other ones.
302689285_L.jpg

http://miceage.micechat.com/suekruse/sk091809g.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/Death-Walt-Disn...ris-Match-/350312521150?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

This one can be had for less than $13 on eBay. The seller even lowered the price and he has 2 of them.

Lisalyn

Even scarier...somebody has the kahunas to sell reproductions (laminated mind you) of Walt's death certificate on ebay....I just don't think that's right - history or not.:veryconfu:lookaroun:confused:

Ziffman

Even scarier...somebody has the kahunas to sell reproductions (laminated mind you) of Walt's death certificate on ebay....I just don't think that's right - history or not.:veryconfu:lookaroun:confused:

I found that a little creepy too. :lol: I mean I understand having an interest in it, but his death certificate is a matter of public record and can actually be viewed online for free. Why someone would pay to have a laminated printout of it is a little bit of a mystery.

Duckberg

GOOD Post THANKS!

I have had this clipping for over 20 years. My grandmother cut out of our local paper a couple days after Walt was pronounced dead. I recently framed it and wanted to share it with everyone on the board.
100_3652.jpg

Walt was in the hospital for a procedure related to an old polo playing injury, when they found the Cancer. He went quickly in December 1966!

Duckberg :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom